Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin or bust...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Friday rest day.

Saturday 40 min tempo run. As for last weeks tempo, the plan was to do the middle two miles faster, aiming to pick up the pace slowly for the first mile and get to the max pace (about 08:30 /mi) towards the end of the second mile.

This was hard work! I know that pace is a slow jog for some, but my lungs were really feeling it and I was SO glad to finish that second mile and be able to slow the pace for the cool down! I was tempted to slow to a walk (yes, I was hurting :o) but kept my pace at a jog and continued that until the 40 minutes were up.

The middle two (tempo) miles were at 08:47 and 08:23 (:eek: I must be getting faster?!)

As I said, it was hard work, but it was such a nice morning for a run that I can't give out. I was happy to be finished it, but also glad I'd done it.

Summary
    4.33 miles in 40 minutes
    Avg Pace: 09:15 min/m

Sunday
    90 minute LSR - or 9 miles (more or less).
    I was NOT feeling the love this morning, even though it was lovely and sunny. Anyway, got the gear on and headed out. Don't think I'd pre-hydrated enough cause I was feeling really tired and ickey by about mile 3. Pushed on and picked up a powerade shortly after that, and that sorted me out, more or less.

Funny thing, I had some coins in my key pocket (emergency money) and noticed some of them trying to make an escape at one point... Had to stop and fish them out of the leg of my capri's. I'm sure passers by were wondering what the hell I was up to with my hand half way down the leg of my trousers!? :p
    Had to carry them and the key the rest of the way - the sewing kit will have to be dusted off this evening. :rolleyes:

Summary
    9.05 miles in 01:30:17
    Avg Pace: 09:58 min/mi

This weeks plan
    Last week of the HH post marathon plan. Supposed to end with a race on Sunday, but as I didn't find anything suitable, I'm just going to do my own thing this week instead... so

Monday |Supporting the DCM / Nothing?!
    Tuesday |5 m run
    Wednesday |yoga
    Thursday| 30 min tempo
    Friday |Rest
    Saturday |5 miles
    Sunday |8 or 9 miles (TBC)

Monday
    Up bright and early to drop a few of the guys off at marathon central, then back home to get the "wee" ones ready and we headed in to get a spot around the 20(ish) mile mark around the top of Fosters Ave. Great day (for the spectators) and congrats to everyone who took part. (no running for me though)

Tuesday
    5 miles easy. Hard to get in the mood tonight and I eventually forced myself out the door about an hour later than expected. Was not feeling enthused, and by mile 2 I was seriously considering just calling it a day, but I kept plugging at it and eventually the miles got ticked off. Slow, but done.

Summary
    5 miles in 50:36
    Avg Pace: 10:07 min/mi

Funny, the lure of 1000 miles before year end was the main thing that kept me going out there. I have 882 miles logged so far so if I can keep the average weekly mileage at about 20 miles I should be quids in to make it. NEVER thought that was possibility when I started this year, so it'd be a nice added (unexpected) bonus.

Wednesday
    Yoga - wobbly legs finishing up :rolleyes:

Thursday
    30 minute Tempo run around the village. Very windy out there tonight with the leaves drifting all over the place. It was a bit wet too when I was out, but nothing too bothersome. Still felt like a hard run :confused:. How can 3 ish miles feel like a hard run? Maybe the legs were a bit tired after yesterday Yoga exertions?
    Anyway, ended up being about 3 miles. The first and last were slow (10+ min/mi) with the fast middle mile at 8:47. Job done.

Summary
    3.06 miles in 30:04
    Avg Pace: 09:50 min/mi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

I sometimes find the three mile runs the longest! :D

A good yoga session does work your legs very hard so they could have been tired from it. Bet the next run you do will be fine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Great running Emer; times are looking really good. Are you thinking of the Waterford half at all or which race are you thinking of?

shazkea wrote: »
    Great running Emer; times are looking really good. Are you thinking of the Waterford half at all or which race are you thinking of?

Thanks for the vote of confidence Shaz. I've got no race in mind just yet. I guess I'll have to commit to something soon though, as the post marathon plan has officially finished now. Maybe waterford will feature... we'll see :rolleyes:

Saturday
    5 mile run. Sunny morning. Was away for the weekend visiting the old folks, so had a different set of roads for running on and views to be had. Did a circle route, with a drag for the first 2 miles to the crest of the hill with a view back over the town. Lovely on a bright October morning. Then it was downhill for the next mile or so, and then I finished with a small out and back to bring it to 5 miles in total.

Summary
    5 miles in 00:46:13
    Avg Pace: 09:14 min/mi

Sunday
    Decided to do a long run rather than trying to do a race pace 10k. So I drove a little bit out of town and ran in and around the lovely Moate Park area. Sunny and bright again and it was a great run! Loved it.

Summary
    8.5 miles in 1:22:19
    Avg Pace: 09:41 min/mi

This weeks plan
    I'm planning on doing a 5K race in 3 weeks, so I decided to put a plan in place to take me to there. Not the ideal plan duration (!) but we'll give it a go. :D
    I'm basing this on the last few weeks of the HH 5k intermediate plan.

Monday |Rest
    Tuesday |4 m run
    Wednesday |yoga
    Thursday| 7 x 400mt (at about 2:00 min/400 mt interval)
    Friday |Rest
    Saturday |4 m fast
    Sunday |7 miles

I want to do a minimum of 20 miles per week to keep my 1000 goal on track, so I might do an extra bit on one (or some) of the days...

• Advertisement

Tuesday
    A dark, rainy, windy night out there - November has arrived and was making her presence known! On my way home I was thinking that I really didn't want to go out into that, and then I'd see someone running and think - yeah, get out there... and then no, but yeah, but no, but... !?! (a touch of the Vikki Pollard)

So I eventually got on the jacket, hat, gloves, et al. and headed out into the unforgiving night. :rolleyes:
    Puddles everywhere. Leaves in massive drifts across the paths so you couldn't see where the edge of the path was. Headwind. Driving rain. What a night! But as I was running uphill, against the wind with the rain stinging my face and my socks squelching in my shoes, I had this voice in my head shouting "Me against the elements - give me what you got! Ye-aaagh!" I think I'm going slightly mad :o:p

Summary
    4.3 miles in 41:08
    Avg Pace: 09:33 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace: 09:26 min/mi (had to stop to tie my laces :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Emer911 wrote: »
    Tuesday
    A dark, rainy, windy night out there - November has arrived and was making her presence known! On my way home I was thinking that I really didn't want to go out into that, and then I'd see someone running and think - yeah, get out there... and then no, but yeah, but no, but... !?! (a touch of the Vikki Pollard)

So I eventually got on the jacket, hat, gloves, et al. and headed out into the unforgiving night. :rolleyes:
    Puddles everywhere. Leaves in massive drifts across the paths so you couldn't see where the edge of the path was. Headwind. Driving rain. What a night! But as I was running uphill, against the wind with the rain stinging my face and my socks squelching in my shoes, I had this voice in my head shouting "Me against the elements - give me what you got! Ye-aaagh!" I think I'm going slightly mad :o:p

Summary
    4.3 miles in 41:08
    Avg Pace: 09:33 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace: 09:26 min/mi (had to stop to tie my laces :rolleyes:)

Well done you! I chickened out! :o I will definitely go tonight, definitely... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

I finally found your log and it has entertained me nicely for the day (when I was "working"!!)

You are some woman for motivating yourself! (And me!) As you know Im a wuss for bad weather and there is NO WAY I would have motivated myself to go out last night!

Congrats on your marathon time (I know it was a while ago but its still nice to hear Im sure!)

I will be following it from now on, and who knows, if you commit to Waterford, I might see you there! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Any plans for the big return to mountain running this weekend?! I hear it's a handy unmarked course with a mere 900m ascent. And not even the length of a half marathon. Easy. :rolleyes:

claralara wrote: »
    Any plans for the big return to mountain running this weekend?! I hear it's a handy unmarked course with a mere 900m ascent. And not even the length of a half marathon. Easy. :rolleyes:

LOL. Lucky I've a good excuse! In the 'big apple' this weekend supporting the OH in the NYC Marathon. The weeks plan has taken a bit of a bash with the travelling, but I'll catch up an fill in my log once I'm back on the laptop (phone posting is tedious!). Keep the faith people. :D

So where did I last leave off?

Wednesday was Yoga. Rolled out of my headstand (first time ever) and rolled over my left hand. Nicely bruised :(. I was trying a new set up and I guess it didn't really work for me. That'll teach me to try new things! :p

Thursday was spent packing and organising things for the weekend. No running (but I felt like I'd run a 10k by the time I got to bed!)

Friday - up at 6:00am to the airport - transatlantic flight - got to the hotel in Manhattan at about 4pm (their time) and crashed at about 8:30. Long day, and needless to say, no running :D.

Saturday Awake at the crack of dawn - well before it actually. Hung around until breakfast, then headed out for a pre-race day leg loosener (obviously it wasn't pre-race day for me, but I tagged along for the spin;)) After a few minutes with the map we decided to run around by Battery Park. There's a cycle / running path that goes all around the tip of lower Manhattan with great views over the Hudson river towards the Statue of Liberty and the Jersey Gold Coast. Great run. Very cold but really sunny and enjoyable.
    Summary
    5.30 mi in 49:09
    Avg Pace: 09:17 min/mi

Sunday Marathon day so yer'man was up and gone by 5:40am <groan> but I had another hour or so in bed, headed for some breaky and then went out to run to a spectator point to see the great and the mighty (and his-self) passing by. My little baby-run took me over the Brooklyn Bridge, which was, I have to say, pretty spectacular. The run was broken up (for about an hour) while I was cheering with the crowds, so I can't really call it an LSR... ah well.
    Summary
    6.10 mi in 57:39
    Avg Pace: 09:26 min/mi

Flew in this morning so not running today :( I'll be doing well to stay up past 8:30! :D

This weeks plan (better late than never)
    I've decided to do a 5K race in 2 weeks time so the plan for the rest of this week and next week will be geared to that.

Monday |travelling...
    Tuesday |recovering from travelling...
    Wednesday |yoga
    Thursday| 5 mile tempo
    Friday |2 mile easy
    Saturday |7 miles (LSR)
    Sunday |rest

I'll won't hit my 20 mile weekly target and I only got to 15 last week, so I'm going to have to pick it up again after the race if I want to hit my 1000 miles for the year. 'Only' have just over 80 miles to run and about 7 weeks to clock them in. Easy peasy !? :rolleyes::P

Wednesday Yoga. Lots of lovely stretching. :D All good! Especially as the poor ould body was feeling a mite beat up after the travelling. My arms were falling off from lugging heavy suitcases up and down stairs (subways, railways, airports, etc. How come the escalators never work when you need them?)

Thursday Did you see the weather out there!? :eek: Swirling, gusting winds with the odd bit of stinging rain / sleet for good measure. What a day!
    So the 5 mile tempo run was never going to happen in that! I decided to switch around the days and do the small easy run tonight instead, and get the tempo in tomorrow. Hopefully the weather will be a bit more forgiving by then :rolleyes:

Summary
    3 miles in 28:21
    Avg Pace: 09:26 min/mi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

See that's why you do better than me.... you get out there in the elements while I wimp out :D

Do you have a target for the 5k?

littlebug wrote: »
    See that's why you do better than me.... you get out there in the elements while I wimp out :D

Do you have a target for the 5k?

LOL - And I've never wimped out?! Oh yes I have! :D

The only target I have for the 5K race is not to be last! It'll be a rather small affair (only 50 or so, I think) so as long as I'm not the last crossing the line I'll be happy (or if I have to be last, then only by a few seconds :rolleyes::o)

Realistically, I suppose I should have a time goal...
    McMillian says I should be aiming for around 25 / 26 minutes, if I'm doing this in line with the sub 2 hour HM, but I don't think I'm quite there just yet. Sure we'll give it a lash and see what happens?! :cool:

• Advertisement

Friday So I wussed out (see, it does happen LB!) Mom's taxi was going at full tilt and it was about 8:30 when we all got home and sorted. Had to do dinner at that point so the 5 miles were just not in me! Doh!

Saturday LSR day today instead of Sunday (for a change). 7 miles planned and I decided to head up around the trails on Carrigoligan. I can only do these at the weekend as there is zero lighting, so was looking forward to some exploring.
    It was cold and rainy, and the trails were a bit more challenging than I remembered. Muddy, overgrown (in parts), sloppy and those HILLS! :eek: I have to admit that they beat me and I ended up walking more than once :o. The trail run ended up being more of a trek than a run. Oh well, what doesn't kill me makes me stronger (so they tell me)!? It really messed with my pace though - Very slow LSR...

Summary
    8.01 miles in 01:27:29
    Avg Pace: 10:55 min/mi

Sunday I had great intentions of getting in a few miles, but after my long hard trek on Saturday and some kid related club commitments on Sunday, I was wrecked and never got to it. To be honest, I was falling asleep standing up, so I reckoned the best thing would be to let the body have a rest. Bold, I know, but sometimes you just gotta give in. :rolleyes:

Monday Toyed with the idea of a run, but settled on taking the wee one for a few lengths of the pool instead. We haven't been in ages, so it was nice to get back to it. And it was a workout too - she's a slave driver that one... :p

Tuesday The wind was a bit of a bummer, but out I went to get in my first interval session in AGES! 5 miles, with 3x800mt at 5K pace(ish). Hard work, especially in that wind, but I played it smart and picked a fairly sheltered stretch to do the intervals on. Tough, but worth it. Felt tired but happy at the end.
    ...and it only started raining (pouring!!) once I got back, which is a nice change :D

Intervals were actually 0.5 miles, as the watch was measuring statute, and about 400mt rest / jog between intervals, with 1.5 mile warmup and cooldown to take me to 5 miles. The timing (pace)for the intervals was as follows:

Duration: 00:03:46 / 00:04:04 / 00:04:02
    Avg pace/mi: 07:33 / 08:09 / 08:05

Very happy with that. A bit too fast on the first one, but managed to hold the pace for the next two, which is better than I expected.

Summary
    5.02 miles in 00:48:40
    Avg Pace: 09:41 min/mi

Well done Emer, nice going in that weather!

Wednesday Yoga day. Lots of core and arm stuff today and I was rather wrecked after it. Great to have that and get a good (alternative) workout. Well stretched :D

Thursday Doh! I was planning on a 3 miler in preparation for Saturdays 5K, but time and circumstance conspired against me... :( No running. Very bold! Don't know whether to do it tonight (Friday) now instead, or leave it as is and just concentrate on the race?
    Suggestions anyone?

Wednesday Yoga day. Lots of core and arm stuff today and I was rather wrecked after it. Great to have that and get a good (alternative) workout. Well stretched :D

Thursday Doh! I was planning on a 3 miler in preparation for Saturdays 5K, but time and circumstance conspired against me... :( No running. Very bold! Don't know whether to do it tonight (Friday) now instead, or leave it as is and just concentrate on the race?
    Suggestions anyone?

Me personally, I'd leave it. I always found I ran better when I had a few days rest beforehand. Best of luck on Saturday! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I'd do it I always like to run the day before, to loosen up a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Suggestions anyone?
    A very easy 3 or 4 miles, with strides, will make sure that you're ticking over and the legs are good and ready for tomorrow's challenge. Good luck (and don't forget, you're 'representin'. I expect a sub 17 min finish. :p).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Yep plus 1, i ll be running a few miles tonight after a rest yesterday before a certain 5k tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Best of luck for 5K tomorrow ;)

• Advertisement

I expect a sub 17 min finish. :p).

HA HA HA HA
    That's just too funny?!?! :p:D

Advertisement