Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin or bust...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

That's what every first-time marathoner feels. "I'm running 20 at a slower pace than PMP, how the hell can I do 26 in three weeks at a faster pace?". That's what the taper is for, you won't believe how good you feel on the day. I ran 20 with some clown today, at a similar (% wise) difference between today's pace and PMP pace, and think the same thing. Everyone does, but trust in your training, you'll hit the time you trained for.

Thanks d'pop. I know I need to trust in the training, but when you have days like this the doubt is hard to ignore (for us newbies!)
    And yeah, the Clown tells me the same thing!:rolleyes:

The Taper Begins:
    After the disaster of the LSR on Sunday, this mileage reduction will be very welcome.
    Yoga is starting back this week too :p I was feeling a bit of a pull /strain in the groin after Sunday :( so hopefully the yoga will help to sort that out?!

The plan for the week.

Monday | Swim
    Tuesday | 5 mile recovery run
    Wednesday | 6 miles Yoga
    Thursday | 5 miles 6 miles easy
    Friday |Rest
    Saturday | 4 miles @ pmp
    Sunday | 12 mile LSR

Monday
    Swimming lessons were starting again but the joys of juggling family life really meant that was going to be impossible. So I decided to just go along and do lengths during the Open Swim times. The wee one is going to be joining me for these 'cause her various club commitments meant we couldn't organise to get her to lessons either?! :rolleyes: Busy busy.
    So I had a leisurely swim. Nothing too hectic, more to loosen up the legs after the weekends excursions really. Actually I felt much better (and less tired) after the swim than I did before :D

Tuesday
    5 miles recovery run today. Ran in the parks around Deansgrange and was attacked by 2 flys. The first tried to blind me and the second tried to choke me!? Almost coughed up a lung :eek: - TMI?
    Did it - but quite tired. The 20 miles were definitely felt.

Summary
    5.3 miles in 00:51:42
    Avg Pace: 09:45 min/mi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Hey Emer. Well done on keeping with that LSR at the weekend. Enjoy the taper and start looking forward to D day now. ;) And yep, you're right about the yoga. I know I've only done the one class so far but there's no way I would have pushed myself to stretch and loosen out the muscles so much on my own. Definitely a good call!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Did you enjoy the yoga? I love it. I find it really helps you stretch places you didn't even know needed stretching!

• Advertisement

dolliemix wrote: »
    Did you enjoy the yoga? I love it. I find it really helps you stretch places you didn't even know needed stretching!

LOVE the yoga! I really don't feel right if I miss a week... everything just feels a bit tight and tense. An hour and a bit of intense asanas is just the ticket.
    The class I usually go to was off for a few weeks (summer hols) and it's all starting back tomorrow. I know it'll be a world of pain, but I just can't wait! :rolleyes::P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Emer, your log is great. Well done again on your LSR, great achievement. Bet you're delighted it's taper time! :D

Wednesday - Yoga (yeay!)
    Lots of muscles got a bit of a shock with this one! A good stretch out though and I felt great after it.

Thursday
    6 miles at a comfortable pace. Ran in Cabinteely Park as I had to do 'mom's taxi' this evening. It was raining on and off, but I didn't get too drenched. Boy! some of those hills are a bit sharper than expected. :eek: I did a sort of figure of 8 around the playground, and the 'new' hill there was a bit of bwitch.
    After the yoga, the hamstrings, shoulders and calf's were feeling a bit tight (but in a good way) so I stopped and had a good stretch after 1 mile, when I'd warmed up properly.
    The run went OK, a bit slow, but I wasn't really feeling the love. :rolleyes:

Summary
    6 miles in 01:00:34
    Avg Pace: 10:05 min/mi

Friday rest day. Ate a big bowl of pasta and drank some fake beer. <am I starting to sound like a runner? :p>

Saturday
    4 mile pmp. I can't believe how EASY that was! No tiredness in the legs, the muscles were all feeling good - no tightness - and the sunshine twinkling off the dewy grass in the park made for a lovely run. Doing just 4 miles felt sort of 'unfinished' though?!
    Still, it's nice to have one run in the week where it felt easy and I felt strong and capable. Maybe this taper stuff is starting to work?

Summary
    4 miles in 00:38:19
    Avg Pace: 09:33 min/mi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Emer911 wrote: »
    Maybe this taper stuff is starting to work?

Sounds like it ;) How're you feeling about it? Not long to go now! Just remember that you've got the training done and go out and enjoy it on the day!

• Advertisement

xebec wrote: »
    Sounds like it ;) How're you feeling about it? Not long to go now! Just remember that you've got the training done and go out and enjoy it on the day!

Feeling better, thanks. The legs were very heavy, tired and tight earlier in the week, so it was nice to get a good day at the office. :p

...almost looking forward to it now :rolleyes:

Sunday
    12 mile LSR.
    As this was a relatively short long run, I decided to run a fairly hilly route that I haven't really gone near in quite a while. As there's no shops in the vicinity, I drove up beforehand and dropped a couple of bottles at strategic miles.
    It was a fairly warm day, and sunny, so I was glad of the drinks. I also took one gel with me, which I consumed at about mile 4 or so. I'm still 'training' my tummy to take these, and today was rather successful. I didn't feel any of the usual tummy quibbles. Cool!

AND another first - I ran up the entire Pucks Castle Road. Never did this without stopping or walking before! Yeah! :p

Tough run up on the trails, and even though it was a nice change, I was kinda glad to be leaving it all behind for the <downhill> run back home. :D

Summary
    12 miles in 02:10:11
    Avg Pace: 10:50 min/mi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Whoopppeee taper time, bet you thought it would never come :D. Enjoy it and mind yourself over the next couple of weeks

BTW is it too early to start trying to convince you to sign up for Barcelona or shall I wait until Oct 1st to start working on you!!!!!

shazkea wrote: »
    BTW is it too early to start trying to convince you to sign up for Barcelona or shall I wait until Oct 1st to start working on you!!!!!

LOL!
    Yes it's too early!! Let me finish my first marathon (in one piece, PG!) before you all start bullying me to run another one! :p

The plan for the week.

Hal's Tip of the Week: As you get into the final weeks of your marathon preparation, the most important thing you can do is rest, rest and rest. The hard work is over. You need to do some training, but not too much. My approach has always been to cut mileage, but maintain intensity. Continue to run somewhat fast on the "hard" days, but not so far.

Monday | Swim
    Tuesday | 4 mile easy
    Wednesday | 5 miles (1 at pmp)
    Thursday | 4 miles easy
    Friday |Rest
    Saturday | 3 miles
    Sunday | 8 mile LSR (final test run of equipment)

Monday
    A nice swim. Took it handy but got in a good few lengths. Happy out.

Tuesday
    4 miles easy run. The right calf was feeling a bit tight after the hills at the weekend, but I reckoned it'd loosen out as I warmed up. Wrong! :( Got to about 1.3 miles and was going up a slight incline and it was getting really twing-ey (don't know how else to describe it). So I stopped, tried to stretch it out, but things were not getting any happier. I decided to call a halt and jog very slowly back to the car, keeping to the grass. So it's ice, rest and some anti-inflammatory stuff this evening, rest tomorrow and we'll test it again on Thursday. Hopefully it's just a twinge and it'll come right with a day off.
    <fingers crossed>

Summary
    2.77 miles in 00:29:51
    Avg Pace: 10:46 min/mi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

How's that calf Emer? Hope it wasn't anything serious?
    Has taper madness set in yet?

littlebug wrote: »
    How's that calf Emer? Hope it wasn't anything serious?
    Has taper madness set in yet?

Hey LB. Seems grand now. Rest seems to have done the trick. I think I just strained it a bit on the hills around Carrigoligan on my LSR last week. Not used to those gradients!? :rolleyes:

Well I've been amiss in logging my training this week so here's a quick summary:

Wednesday Rest - Ice - Compression - Elevation

Thursday My return 'test' run on the grass was postponed - sitting in Vincent's for 2 hours waiting for an xray on a sprained finger instead (not my finger!) Test run-out for the calf had to wait... but I guess an extra day's rest is no harm?

Friday Finally got out for that run! Did 4 miles on the grass in the park. Slow and steady. Leg was fine mostly. I felt a bit of a slight twinge coming over the rail bridge so slowed to a walk for the hill, and there were no issues after that. More I.C.E. for the evening.

Saturday 3 miles easy run. (yes there is a 3 mile run in the training plan!?). Sticking to the off-road to give the calf a break, so headed to the Forest park. Lovely run. No niggles at all <phew>
    Sunday 8 mile LSR. This taper thing seems almost comical! 8 miles for a Sunday run? Went to the Forest Park again and did 2 4 mile loops. It was warmer than expected, but the rain started at about mile 5 / 6 which was a welcome treat. Really enjoyed that, and struggled to keep the pace slow. Roll on next week <gulp :p>

Summary
    4 miles in 38:36
    Average Pace 09:38

3 miles in 29:02
    Average Pace 09:40

8 miles in 01:22:51
    Average Pace 10:19

The plan for the (last) week.

Hal's Tip of the Week: Your whole final week leading up to the marathon should be devoted to rest, rest, rest!

And mind what you eat this week. Stick with a high-carbohydrate diet throughout the week. Focusing on fruits, vegetables, and grains will keep you above 60 percent carbos even if you have lean meat as a main course. If you haven't eliminated between-meal junk snacks, do it now.

Monday | Swim / Rest
    Tuesday | 3 mile
    Wednesday | 4 miles
    Thursday | Rest
    Friday |Rest
    Saturday | 2 miles
    Sunday | RACE :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

The plan for the (last) week.

Hal's Tip of the Week: Your whole final week leading up to the marathon should be devoted to rest, rest, rest!

And mind what you eat this week. Stick with a high-carbohydrate diet throughout the week. Focusing on fruits, vegetables, and grains will keep you above 60 percent carbos even if you have lean meat as a main course. If you haven't eliminated between-meal junk snacks, do it now.

Monday | Swim / Rest
    Tuesday | 3 mile
    Wednesday | 4 miles
    Thursday | Rest
    Friday |Rest
    Saturday | 2 miles
    Sunday | RACE :D

Whats the plan for pace per km ??? No running at near it this week

Whats the plan for pace per km ??? No running at near it this week

Ooh! I'm still not committing to anything here!!
    I'll be aiming for somewhere between 9:45 and 10:00 min miles, which should being me in (comfortably?) under the 04:30:00 mark. But if I don't make it, so what... It's my 1st marathon. If I make it around in one piece it'll be an achievement :D

Can't believe it'll be all over in a few days!? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Enjoy the last few days of taper. When are flying?

shazkea wrote: »
    Enjoy the last few days of taper. When are flying?

Heading over on Friday morning.

Been a bit of a disaster today though. Had some sort of allergic reaction yesterday evening and my eye swelled up... looked like I'd been in a ring with Katie Taylor! :eek:
    Took antihistamines which seem to have done the trick, but was wrecked all day! Didn't go for my 4 miles today - took a nap instead?! Heading to bed shortly. Hopefully it'll be all systems go tomorrow.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Scared yet? Starting to wonder what the hell he's convinced you to do? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Heading over on Friday morning.

Been a bit of a disaster today though. Had some sort of allergic reaction yesterday evening and my eye swelled up... looked like I'd been in a ring with Katie Taylor! :eek:
    Took antihistamines which seem to have done the trick, but was wrecked all day! Didn't go for my 4 miles today - took a nap instead?! Heading to bed shortly. Hopefully it'll be all systems go tomorrow.
    good group of us going over friday at 9.20am. Are you on the same flight ??

Scared yet? Starting to wonder what the hell he's convinced you to do? :D

Bricking it!!
    ... but I have to trust in the training now. The hard work is done - so they tell me!? :eek:
    good group of us going over friday at 9.20am. Are you on the same flight ??

Nah! Think our flight goes at about 7:30. Nice early start :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I can't believe it's so close now Emer! Best of luck. As you said you've the hard work done so just go and enjoy it! Looking forward to the race report!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭RubyK

Best of luck in Berlin - you've put in all the hard work, so enjoy every minute!

Re: allergy - I get them sometimes too in my eyes. While claratin and piriton anti-his are good, they make me very sleepy, but I discovered a natural remedy called "Apis" (yes, strange name!) it's brilliant stuff, and wont leave you feeling wrecked/drowsey. You can get it in healthfood shops. Just thought I'd let you know ;) it's handy stuff to have, just incase.

• Advertisement

RubyK wrote: »
    Best of luck in Berlin - you've put in all the hard work, so enjoy every minute!

Re: allergy - I get them sometimes too in my eyes. While claratin and piriton anti-his are good, they make me very sleepy, but I discovered a natural remedy called "Apis" (yes, strange name!) it's brilliant stuff, and wont leave you feeling wrecked/drowsey. You can get it in healthfood shops. Just thought I'd let you know ;) it's handy stuff to have, just incase.

Thanks for tip. I'll look for Apis and try that next time.
    (better be careful asking for it... :p)

Advertisement