Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin or bust...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

My boss just got back from (somewhere in) Spain, and she said it was crazy hot. Bring an alarm clock!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

RayCun wrote: »
    My boss just got back from (somewhere in) Spain, and she said it was crazy hot. Bring an alarm clock!

Yeah, the plan is to run early in the morning. Not really an option otherwise, I hear. Pity - I really don't do well in the morning?! :(
    Can't really complain though, I will be on holidays :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Emer911 wrote: »
    The plan for the week.
    34 miles done in the step back week last week and 43 in the plan for this week, with the big Two-Oh as the LSR. Gheesh, the miles are really clocking up now!

Monday | Rest/ Cross training
    Tuesday | 5 mile comfortable run
    Wednesday | 8 miles
    Thursday | 5 miles easy
    Friday |Rest
    Saturday | 5 miles @ pmp 20 Mile LSR
    Sunday | 20 mile LSR 5 mile

...have to switch thing around this week to fit in the LSR on Saturday. Flying off on Saturday evening, so I'll be doing my 5 mile pmp on Sunday in sunny Spain. Hopefully it won't be too sunny and I'll actually be able to run:p

Good god, I'm knackered reading that table and then I read you were going to the sunshine in Spain and now don't feel sorry for you at all ;)

You'll do great on that LSR and enjoy posting that impressive longest run thread after :)

shazkea wrote: »
    You'll do great on that LSR and enjoy posting that impressive longest run thread after :)

You may have to wait for the post on that one, as we're heading for the plane soon after and I doubt I'll get a chance to write it up before I go. :D

You may have to wait for the post on that one, as we're heading for the plane soon after and I doubt I'll get a chance to write it up before I go. :D

Tut, tut no dedication at all. :p
    Whatever about the LSR ,have a great time in Spain and have a cocktail for me!

• Advertisement

Catching up on my log. I'm a bit tardy this week.:o

Monday Didn't get to the pool... busy, busy.

Tuesday
    5 miles around the park. A very hot evening, humid but not sunny. Kept it steady. Got a bit of a 'rub' on the instep of my right foot. I'm thinking I need to look into replacing my 'older' runners... hmm...
    Summary
    5 miles in 00:49:41
    Avg Pace: 00:49:41

Wednesday
    8 miles. This was a LATE run - life got in the way :rolleyes: and I didn't get to go out until nearly 20:30. But at least I got out there, right? And it had cooled down by then, which was a bonus. I took it at a steady pace and found it handy enough. It was a bit of a change to be running in the moonlight though...
    Summary
    8 miles in 01:18:40
    Avg Pace: 09:49 min/mi

Thursday 5 miles easy
    It was raining cats and dogs (and maybe a few ducks too) and I was thinking how insane I was as I headed out into the downpour :p
    The run was grand though, I kinda enjoyed it - does that make me a masochist? :rolleyes: Sure once I was totally soaked the rain was sort of irrelevant, except for the squelchy shoes <yeuck>.
    And it was obviously keeping everyone indoors, cause the usual thursday crew in the park was nowhere to be seen. I did notice some of the Bray Runners (hardy souls) and about 2 other lone lunatics :D, but that was it.

Summary
    5 miles in 00:48:54
    Avg Pace: 09:47 min/mi

I'll be doing my 20miler on Saturday, and as all three of my midweek runs have been in and around my marathon pace, I'll be taking it handy after the LSR and will probably give that 5 mile pmp a miss. It'll be a bit hard to fit in with the travelling, and the long run is the most important thing for this week. No promises, but sure we'll wait and see how things are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Best of luck with the 20miler. I'm jealous of your dedication and motivation - I'm slacking a bit at the minute so reading your log really makes me want to get back into it! Enjoy your break - you sure deserve it! :)

claralara wrote: »
    Best of luck with the 20miler. I'm jealous of your dedication and motivation - I'm slacking a bit at the minute so reading your log really makes me want to get back into it! Enjoy your break - you sure deserve it! :)

Aww shucks thanks. I don't feel very motivated or dedicated, but it does help to have the OH training for the same thing... even if he IS in a different league!:D
    (I'm the tortoise to his hare:rolleyes:)

Good luck with your training and thanks for the vote of confidence.

Saturday

Up early, to be out early, and back early(ish). Breaky was the usual porridge, bagel, coffee and juice. I followed this up with a Lucozade Sport and then got suncreamed and ready and headed out. This was a particularly early run for me, but it's all in preparation for the real thing... that starts pretty early too :D

So 2 gels, 4 water bottles, 1 jelly sweet, 2 loo stops (:eek:) and 1 very tired Emer later I finished my first 20 mile run. It's a great feeling of accomplishment to be able to say that! Straight into the cold bath followed by a nice hot shower. Then a quick lunch, and once I pack the last bits and we're heading for the airport.

Roll on the hols. Well needed and much deserved after the mornings activities.

I hope to get a few short runs in next week, but how successful they are will depend on the weather and humidity. I'm useless in the heat (why am I going to Spain again?:rolleyes:)

Summary
    20 miles in 03:37:26
    Avg Pace: 10:52 min/mi

• Advertisement

Wow, that was a warm one! :D
    It was averaging 31ish (in the shade) and got up to 38C one of the days:eek:. The evenings weren't really that much cooler either, and it dropped to about 28 or so at night. So, needless to say, I wasn't too keen to get out running in that! But I did manage to fit in 2 runs - small, slow runs, but runs, none-the-less.

Tuesday 4.1 miles in 29C 00:45:54
    Friday 4.1 miles in 31.5C 00:44:57

It was a lovely place to run though. It was really hilly where we were staying, so we drove down to the coast to run. I ran from one end of the town to the other, along the beach and past the port... very pretty! The only downside was having to get back into the very hot car to drive back to the villa. But it was pretty sweet jumping straight into the pool when we got back:p (minus the shoes, of course)

Back to normality now and regular services will resume this week.

Sunday 12 mile LSR

Back to normality (somewhat) and the LSR this week was for just 12 miles as this was a step back week. Got going a bit late this morning and it was actually about 1:20 when I stepped out with the Garmin charged and was ready for off. But that was OK... it gave the weather a chance to brighten up and warm up :D

Didn't take any gel's or jelly sweets as this was (only) 12 miles, but did stop twice for water. Tried to keep the pace even at between 10:45 and 11:00 /mi. Felt grand and wasn't too wrecked after it. Even had enough in the tank to up the pace a bit for the last 2 miles.
    Happy with that, especially after the down time last week.

Summary
    12 miles in 02:07:58
    Avg Pace: 10:39 min/mi

The plan for the week.

With only 4 weeks to the big day, this is the peak week of training. Tapering starts from next week, so by the end of this week, all the hard work will be behind me and it'll be roll on Berlin!? Ooh, I'm feeling a little bit nervous:P.

Monday | Rest/ Cross training
    Tuesday | 5 mile comfortable run
    Wednesday | 8 miles
    Thursday | 5 miles easy
    Friday |Rest
    Saturday | 5 miles @ pmp
    Sunday | 20 mile LSR

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done Emer, you're doing great! And in that heat.... :eek:

Tuesday
    5 miles comfortable run. Headed to the park to give the legs some nice soft grass to run on, for a change. Decided to push it a bit tonight and not just run easy (as I normally do:o) So I did the 1st mile as a warm-up and then upped the pace for the next 2, easing off a bit for the last 2 miles.
    It felt surprisingly ok, even though I was a wee bit tired, probably from the travel over the weekend?
    Unfortunately I wore my older shoes, which are definitely ready to be relegated to gardening duty at this point, as they're starting to rub a bit on the instep :(, but on the positive side, that means a shopping trip :D

Summary
    5 miles in 00:47:08
    Avg Pace: 09:25 min/mi

Wednesday
    Still feeling tired but pushed my little leggies out the door and went and did my prescribed 8 miles. You know I was fine when I got going? Strange the way that happens sometimes... :rolleyes:

Started later than normal (life changes the priorities sometimes) and it was dark by the time I finished. Weird! It's been AGES since I was running in the dark. I guess the summer must be nearly over then? :( At least the weather is still nice though. It was a lovely evening for a run - even though I was so tired, I did enjoy it really :D

Summary
    8 miles in 01:19:27
    Avg Pace: 09:55 min/mi

Just catching up on logs now so a bit late in saying welcome back! Hope you had a great hol and looks like you brought the sunshine home too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

it's getting sooo close now Emer:eek: Are nerves kicking in yet or are you saving it all for taper time:D When does taper start? Another week?

littlebug wrote: »
    it's getting sooo close now Emer:eek: Are nerves kicking in yet or are you saving it all for taper time:D When does taper start? Another week?

Yeah LB, it's getting real close now!? I've another 20 miler this weekend and then the taper starts. The following 2 weekends are (just) 12 and 8 mile LSR's and then it's the big day... <gulp>

Nah, tbh I'm not so much nervous as excited (well maybe a wee bit nervous).
    I'm still not sure about my pace though. I think hope know I'll have the training done to get me over the line, the only real question is "how fast/slow". But I've nothing to prove - it's a PB as long as I finish :p - so I'll be seeing how I go on the day.

Thursday
    5 miles in the park on a lovely sunny Thursday evening. Nice! :D
    The plan said 'easy' and 'picture yourself running the last 5 miles of the marathon course'. So I went out with the intention of keeping the pace steady and free-flowing, concentrating on my form really.
    It was a lovely evening for a run and the park was PACKED with runners, walkers and kiddie football, hurling and soccer training/ matches occupying all the pitches. The boot camp guys were putting the groups through their paces, so there was lots to entertain distract me. Hence I headed to the quieter end of the park for the bulk of my miles where I was overtaken several times by the other (more accomplished) runners, but I didn't mind. I was doing my thing! Got to keep focussed and not get distracted :p.

Still I was REALLY surprised to see that my comfortable 5 miles were completed in an average pace of 09:17 min/mile?! I'm usually so much slower, so I don't know if it was the weather, the distraction of the other runners (was I getting faster subconsciously as they lapped me?) or maybe the training is actually paying off and I'm finally getting faster?
    Could I actually begin to believe the 09:44 min/mi marathon pace (04:15 marathon) might be doable? Do I dare to dream:rolleyes:

Summary
    5 miles in 00:46:30
    Avg Pace: 09:17 min/mi

• Advertisement

Friday was a very welcome rest day. Sat on my ass and watched rubbish on the telly...hmmm, nice!

Saturday
    5 mile pmp. Raining this morning but more or less stopped once I got out. I'm just blessed that way :cool:

I did my miles while waiting for the wee one to finish her Saturday morning activities, so I got to run past all the kiddy's football matches in Kilbogget park. Now THAT was entertainment at it's best! Ran past one match where the poor 8 year old goalkeeper had just let in a goal and he was sitting on the ground crying!:(:rolleyes: Poor little thing... The mean old ref was just telling him to get up. I felt like stopping and giving him a hug, but it probably wouldn't have been appreciated!? :p

The aim of the run today was to keep it even and on pace. Decided to aim for around the 09:40 pace. It felt comfortable throughout, which is definitely comforting at this stage in the training. Might have ran a bit too fast though...:rolleyes:
    Hal also said to compare the splits with the pmp run from 3 weeks ago, but that was an 8 mile pmp so here's the whole lot - for comparison:
    Week 12: Avg Pace 09:40 min/mi 09:54/09:33/09:12/09:43/09:36/09:54/09:46/09:41/09:38
    Week 15: Avg Pace 09:33 min/mi 09:51/09:39/09:34/09:15/09:14

Different courses so I don't know if it's a good comparison?!

Summary
    5 miles in 47:35
    Avg Pace: 09:33 min/mi

My second 20 miler tomorrow and then the taper begins!

best of luck tomorrow Emer. I think your pace has really improved. Do you think you'll risk targeting 4.15? Are there pacers?

best of luck tomorrow Emer. I think your pace has really improved. Do you think you'll risk targeting 4.15? Are there pacers?

Oh LB! I'm tempted but I think that'll be decided nearer to the day. There are another 3 weeks to go, and the weather and travel will be a factor so I'm not committing to anything just yet :D
    I'm still saying 04:30... (but I'll be hoping for closer to 04:15, but shhh, don't tell anyone!)

Sunday LSR
    20 miles - the last really long run before the big day.
    Talk about being put in your place! My optimism from yesterday was shattered completely on this run :(. It was TOUGH!
    Got up early and had the usual breaky - porridge, juice, coffee and a breakfast muffin instead of the usual bagel (just for a change). After the appropriate wait time, I got myself in order and headed out into the rainy Sunday morning.
    The first few miles were fine, I felt good, and the rain was little more than a mist. Stopped for a bottle at mile 4 and took a gel at mile 5. Topped up my water at about 7 and everything was going fine.

Things started to get a bit tougher probably from about mile 12 or so. Took a second gel at about 13.5 but the rain was still coming down, my clothes were well wet and the brief stop let me know that my hips and knees were not all that happy! Kept going anyway. Stopped again to top up the water at mile 15 and the legs were practically seizing and screaming when I kicked off again.

Into the home straight for the last 2 miles in the park to finish off, but hit a real low point and had to work hard to keep going for those last couple of miles. Tough, tough, tough!

But hey, it's done now. Into the taper :rolleyes:. The next time I hit 20 I'll still have another 6.2 to go. But I'll be in the middle of 40,000 runners with 1 million spectators cheering us on. Hopefully that'll pull me over the line?!
    I'm feeling very unsure about the 4:15 now though!:( I held the LSR 11 min/mi pace and struggled to finish, so what am I going to be like running at 9:45(ish pace)?

On a positive note, some learning for today: think I need to take on a few more calories - maybe I should have had 3 gels, or at least a few jellies to go with the 2 gels I did have. For the Marathon, I'll aim to take a gel after about every 6 miles (or so) and have a few jellies in between.

Summary
    20 miles in 03:39:25
    Avg Pace: 10:58 min/mi

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Sounds like you did really well on such a miserable day! Well done!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Today was really a crap day for LSRs, being out in the rain for that long must have been miserable. At least you've learnt as well what should work for you in terms of gels - best to learn that before raceday. The taper will do you wonders though, it's natural for this last LSR to feel tough.

At least you've learnt as well what should work for you in terms of gels - best to learn that before raceday.

Thanks Kirby. You have a point about it being best to have the learning on the training run rather that in the race!? I guess I'll take that as a positive from today :rolleyes:

well done Emer. Your last couple of miles sound familiar! Once I start taking gets I take them every half hour so every 3 miles or so. Maybe another one in there somewhere would help.
    next time out I'm going to try only very brief stops to pick up water with each loop and take the gels on the move. Whats your plan on the day re water and gels ? What gels do you use by the way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

I'm feeling very unsure about the 4:15 now though!:( I held the LSR 11 min/mi pace and struggled to finish, so what am I going to be like running at 9:45(ish pace)?

That's what every first-time marathoner feels. "I'm running 20 at a slower pace than PMP, how the hell can I do 26 in three weeks at a faster pace?". That's what the taper is for, you won't believe how good you feel on the day. I ran 20 with some clown today, at a similar (% wise) difference between today's pace and PMP pace, and think the same thing. Everyone does, but trust in your training, you'll hit the time you trained for.

• Advertisement

Once I start taking gets I take them every half hour so every 3 miles or so. Maybe another one in there somewhere would help.
    Yeah LB, I was definitely running out of fuel toward the end there. Lesson learned (I hope).:)

Whats your plan on the day re water and gels ? What gels do you use by the way?
    I use the SIS gels. They're isotonic so you don't need to take them with water. But I find that they can do weird things to me - tummy wise - so prefer to limit my intake. On the day the plan is to take 3-4 gels, and plenty of water (as much as I can get into me). I'm contemplating taking a bottle and refilling it at the water stations, as it's all cups :mad: which I'm useless with!
    Of course, the weather could scupper everything! :p

Advertisement