Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry, I thought you said get faster before the 100th Marathon

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Aimman wrote: »
    The real time HR was spiking up as high as 183 at the start of the first mile, while I was warming up, but dont know if its a few innacurate readings during the warm up, or if my Max HR is actually higher then 179. Dont fancy forking out money on a VO2Max test though to find out.

I wouldn't worry about that. If it was actually 183 you would know about it!! Mine often spikes as high as 250 in the first mile. It's just inaccuracies, normally due to friction or lack of sweat/dampness needed to conduct electrical charge. (I was gonna say lubrication there but I realised MrSlow and Digger would be reading :pac:)

Ot the Aldi HR watch is on its way out and giving false readings. Unfortunately I didnt opt for the Heart Rate option on the Garmin, just got the 205. I didnt realise the benefit of the HR at the time and wasnt really using the Aldi one much. Sorry I didnt pay the few euros extra now.

You can buy a Garmin compatible HR monior on it's own, if you shop around you shouldn't pay more than €30.
    The only way I have managed to find my real Max HR is by seeing how high it gets at the end of a short, sharp race (it peaked at 184 as I sprint finished over the line in the parkwest 10k last year- just before the famous 'puking incident').

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

menoscemo wrote: »
    You can buy a Garmin compatible HR monior on it's own, if you shop around you shouldn't pay more than €30.
    The only way I have managed to find my real Max HR is by seeing how high it gets at the end of a short, sharp race (it peaked at 184 as I sprint finished over the line in the parkwest 10k last year- just before the famous 'puking incident').

I looked into it before, but the 205 is buit without the HR receiver or software, so a compatible strap wont work. The Aldi HR will only give an average HR for the whole run, you cant store pace per lap etc.

4M Early Morning Recovery Run.

No chance of lunchtime or evening run today, set the alarm and hit the road early. Forgot how good a feeling you get when you get the run done before breakfast and have the rest of the day spare, especially in this great weather. :cool:

4M in 38:59 (9:44 pace, Avg HR 128, 71% Max)

5M Lunchtime Run
    Glorious day today along the Canal, Although I didn't envy the kids jumping in the Lock or the people doing the Kayak/Canoe?? lessons.

Kept to a very handy 8 mil pace out and back. Legs are in good nik for Mallow, Only worry now it that It's not too warm on Sunday.

(8:07) (7:56) (7:54) (8:04) (7:56)

5M in 39:56 (7:59 Avg, HR - 143 79% Max)

Listened to this week's Marathon Talk and definitely recommend anyone to listen to the discussion about Caffeine in running, Very Interesting.

• Advertisement

The weather conditions were great today. No wind, the odd sunray from the sun and not too warm. The plan was to head off at 7:30 pace and get in under 75 mins.

At the registration, met up with Menoscemo, Mr. Slow, Chinguetti, Brianderunner Digger and ClaraLara. An injured Rainbow Kirby came down to cheer everyone on. I also pursuaded my friend Kay to run the race after a couple of bottles of wine last night. She hasnt done any running for ages, but is a gym instructor, so has a good level of fitness anyway. (She finished in 1:20:59)

Unfortunately, the start line was a good mile away from registration, but gave an opportunity to warm up a little beforehand.

After the first couple of miles, I was settling in nicely. The course is nice and flat except for a bit of a hill within the first mile, with the odd little bump in other places. Mile three was a nice down hill so obviously the fastest one. Miles were going past well and I hit 5M at 36:03 (unofficial PB) and then the 10k point in 44:53 (another unofficial PB)

By mile 8 though, I felt I was starting to slow a little bit, but had plenty of time in reserve if I was to lose pace at this stage. That's when Chenguetti caught up and chatted briefly. I realised that I could actually have some form of conversation, so I wasn't pushing as hard as I could have. I speeded up for a little while to stay with Chenguetti but his pace was a bit rich for me for the end of the race. I let him go on, because I still had a PB in the bag and didnt want to mess it up now but burning out. He was the last person to go past me and I realised I had a crack at sub 7:20 pace for the race and the fire was relit. I started picking off and passing people over the last couple of miles and no one was getting past me. Unfortunately, the finish line was well hidden, so I couldn't prepare myself for a last minute sprint for the end. Nevertheless, I was delighted with the overall result,

10M in 73:16 (7:18 pace)

Almost 8 minutes off my PB in the Phoenix Park 10M last August. I didnt have the ususal 'never again' moment during the race and I think I managed to moderate my pace successfully, as I didnt flake or watch the pace slowly creep away mile after mile.

the pace for each mile went
    (7:13) (7:12) (6:56) (7:20) (7:22) (7:19) (7:33) (7:27) (7:28) (7:09)

Very happy with the day and my condition during and after the race. New 10M PB shattering my old one and breaking my 5M and 10K pb along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

The weather conditions were great today. No wind, the odd sunray from the sun and not too warm. The plan was to head off at 7:30 pace and get in under 75 mins.

At the registration, met up with Menoscemo, Mr. Slow, Chinguetti, Brianderunner Digger and ClaraLara. An injured Rainbow Kirby came down to cheer everyone on. I also pursuaded my friend Kay to run the race after a couple of bottles of wine last night. She hasnt done any running for ages, but is a gym instructor, so has a good level of fitness anyway. (She finished in 1:20:59)

Unfortunately, the start line was a good mile away from registration, but gave an opportunity to warm up a little beforehand.

After the first couple of miles, I was settling in nicely. The course is nice and flat except for a bit of a hill within the first mile, with the odd little bump in other places. Mile three was a nice down hill so obviously the fastest one. Miles were going past well and I hit 5M at 36:03 (unofficial PB) and then the 10k point in 44:53 (another unofficial PB)

By mile 8 though, I felt I was starting to slow a little bit, but had plenty of time in reserve if I was to lose pace at this stage. That's when Chenguetti caught up and chatted briefly. I realised that I could actually have some form of conversation, so I wasn't pushing as hard as I could have. I speeded up for a little while to stay with Chenguetti but his pace was a bit rich for me for the end of the race. I let him go on, because I still had a PB in the bag and didnt want to mess it up now but burning out. He was the last person to go past me and I realised I had a crack at sub 7:20 pace for the race and the fire was relit. I started picking off and passing people over the last couple of miles and no one was getting past me. Unfortunately, the finish line was well hidden, so I couldn't prepare myself for a last minute sprint for the end. Nevertheless, I was delighted with the overall result,

10M in 73:16 (7:18 pace)

Almost 8 minutes off my PB in the Phoenix Park 10M last August. I didnt have the ususal 'never again' moment during the race and I think I managed to moderate my pace successfully, as I didnt flake or watch the pace slowly creep away mile after mile.

the pace for each mile went
    (7:13) (7:12) (6:56) (7:20) (7:22) (7:19) (7:33) (7:27) (7:28) (7:09)

Very happy with the day and my condition during and after the race. New 10M PB shattering my old one and breaking my 5M and 10K pb along the way.
    Vrooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom:D
    Excellent result mate, the pbs are tumbling:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Good stuff dude you are flying!!

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Fair play E
    Lovely hurling!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Great work. 3 pb's in one session. Not many people can say that. And fair play on really taking substantial time off the 10 mile pb - 10 miles is an oddly difficult distance to plan for, pace-wise (that's what I think anyhow).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Aimman, thats great going. I knew it was a pb but by nearly 8 minutes is brilliant. 3 pbs is a good day's work and a good sign for Connemara.

You're gonna head out with me and oisin in connemara so?

Cheers guys, it was a great day in Cork and still on a high from it.
    menoscemo wrote: »
    You're gonna head out with me and oisin in connemara so?

After doing the 20M last monday at 8:30 pace, I'm wondering what will happen for the next 20M at that pace. Then again, it would be good to have the company along the way.;) I'll see what the next couple of weeks will bring and perhaps revise my plans.

PS. Macmillan has me down for a 3:25 marathon now.:cool:

chinguetti wrote: »
    Aimman, thats great going. I knew it was a pb but by nearly 8 minutes is brilliant. 3 pbs is a good day's work and a good sign for Connemara.

Thanks for the boost at mile 8, it was good to see a familiar face, even if you were overtaking me:). Got me focused again to gain a bit of ground and push for a better time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Congratulations. ALl your hard work and dedication is paying off in spades ( and pb's).
    ONly chance of seeing you in Connemara now is at the start line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Great stuff Aimman just catching up with your progress now, congrats on the PB and keep it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done again on the PB and thanks for catching me over the finish line!! :)

claralara wrote: »

You're welcome. You looked like you were going to keep on going. :D

See you in Connemara.

Had planned to run around Cork a bit this morning, but it was lashing rain. Handy 5M recovery run in the hotel gym instead built up a good appetite for the buffet breakfast. :rolleyes:

The good think about the treadmill is that it make me keep the pace down.

5M in 47:30 (9:30 pace)

Nice early morning run around Cork today. On the road at 7am and thankfully missed the rain (didnt get to show off my Mallow 10M hat). Took in the last 5M of the Cork Marathon route along the way.

6.3M in 53 mins (8:25 pace) No HR reading cos it's jammed somewhere in a big bag of washing since coming to Cork on Saturday. Heading back home tomorrow for a marathon washing session.

• Advertisement

7M Evening Run in Tymon
    Feeling good this evening and thought I'd give the legs a bit of a nice stretch.

Pace
    (8:16) (8:08) (7:57) (8:02) (8:11) (7:48) (7:20)

Highlight was tackling a long hill for over half a mile in Mile 5 and kept the pace under 8 min miles, unfortunately, the garmin report makes it look downhill for some reason!

Felt great through the run, legs nice and fresh. Dont plan to hit this pace again before Connemara, I'm supposed to be tapering. :rolleyes:

7M in 55: 41 (7:57 pace, HRM still in bag of washing)

On a great note, Went to CycleSuperstore to stock up for Conn and Joined their loyalty clulb. Got 10% off all the nutrition stuff. Great value too, they dropped their prices. Powerbar gels are €1.60 before the discount. Havent seen them that cheap anywhere else.

Got the Nuun tablets to try out this weekend, banana flavour. :cool:

End of month,
    Miles for Month 208
    Miles for Year to date 618

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Just been looking at your garmin stats there Eamonn. Mallow is a huge leap forward for you from the Dublin half and ratfarnham 5k ect....
    Your pacing in Dingle and conn was shocking:p You started off like a greyhound in conn:D

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Just been looking at your garmin stats there Eamonn. Mallow is a huge leap forward for you from the Dublin half and ratfarnham 5k ect....
    Your pacing in Dingle and conn was shocking:p You started off like a greyhound in conn:D

But it was consistently shocking. ;)

Got caught up in all the excitement at the start of Conn last year, was more worried about lasting the 40M instead of keeping an eye on the pace.

I should be more disciplined this time around. Strongly thinking of 9min miles to start out and try to maintain it. It will get me to the 26M just a few minutes quicker then last year, but should have more energy in the legs for the last 13M. I'd love to go out at 8:30 pace with you and Meno, but after the 20M last week at that pace, I think I'd suffer when the hills arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Great race report!

You were between 64 and 67 secs ahead of me from at least the half way point right through to the finish.

Still on the taper, easy speed for the next week.

Saturday 2nd - 5.5M in 51:51 (9:26 pace HR Avg 128)

Sunday 3rd - 10.5M in 1:37:25 (9:17 pace HR Avg 145)
    Mixed half a Nuun tablet into 250ml of water and had it along the way. No problems drinking it.

Handy 5.1M run at lunchtime

5.1M in 46:58 (9:13 pace, Avg HR 148)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

You're welcome. You looked like you were going to keep on going. :D

See you in Connemara.

We knew she was going to try put the moves on someone (it was the way she was acting on the train) It was the main reason we headed back quickly to the Community Centre, well that and the fact that Menopause was getting the shakes as he hadn't had a drink in a few hours...:D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

digger2d2 wrote: »
    We knew she was going to try put the moves on someone (it was the way she was acting on the train) It was the main reason we headed back quickly to the Community Centre, well that and the fact that Menopause was getting the shakes as he hadn't had a drink in a few hours...:D;)

That was after 10miles, I still had my wits about me. After 26 I'll be so wrecked, I'll let Aimman off the hook and take whoever's ready and willing!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I'll take whoever's ready and willing!!:)

It'll be like a regular Saturday night for you then?

• Advertisement

That was after 10miles, I still had my wits about me. After 26 I'll be so wrecked, I'll let Aimman off the hook and take whoever's ready and willing!!:)

LOL, that would make a very interesting finish line.

Advertisement