Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry, I thought you said get faster before the 100th Marathon

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Don't mean to scare you guys but if you still have cramps in a day or two a trip to the GP may be required. Galways water supply has been suspect in the past with cryptosporidium contamination. Bit odd a few of you are complaining of cramps. Did you drink the local water? I'm not sure of the steps taken by Galway council to sort out drinking water but definitely keep an eye on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Hi Aimman,

I'm catching up on your log after my Boston race and preps - you're really flying it this year. I think it was the change of title in the log that stirred the most interest! I think you're well set for the longer distances - you've some endurance to say the least. Whats the story with that 5 marathon series? Sounds pretty cool.

Was very sorry to hear the news about Eddie too. I never met him, but I can see what he meant to you and those who had and those who were inspired by his posts/ logs etc. Hope you're doing ok.

Run on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Don't mean to scare you guys but if you still have cramps in a day or two a trip to the GP may be required. Galways water supply has been suspect in the past with cryptosporidium contamination. Bit odd a few of you are complaining of cramps. Did you drink the local water? I'm not sure of the steps taken by Galway council to sort out drinking water but definitely keep an eye on it.

I didn't drink any of the water, thankfully. The cramps went in the last couple of miles in the race, so I imagine it might have been the early start, or the salt tablet.
    Killerz wrote: »
    Hi Aimman,
    Whats the story with that 5 marathon series? Sounds pretty cool.

It's in Sixmilebridge, Clare from 6th July to 10th. First three are at 6pm then Saturday one is 10am and the Sunday one is 8am i think. You dont have to do all five, people can just sign up for whatever ones they want. :D

Quick catch up.

Thursday 28th
    3 miles easy in 27.14 (9:04 pace) just to loosen back up the legs after Monday

Friday 29th - 10M test for 4:30 pacing in Limerick on Sunday.
    Target was to have a consistent 10:18 pace for the whole run. Set the garmin for autolap of 0.5M to keep the average more accurate over half mile segments

Pace for every 0.5M
    10:20, 10:08, 10:14, 10:17, 10:23, 10:22, 10:15, 10:19, 10:20, 10;20, 10:19, 10:19, 10:15, 10:18, 10:17, 10:21, 10:19, 10:16, 10:15, 10:20

10M in 1:42:59 (10:18 pace, Avg HR 130)

Pace was very comfortable and didn't feel uncomfortable. Should be ok for Sunday ;)

Total for April, 165Miles. Little bit lower then I hoped. Have to pull the finger out in May.

Miles in 2011 - 783

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Myself and Brian were filling in Meno on the location of your hotel in Limerick. It doesn't matter where you park your car, it'll end up there anyway.

• Advertisement

mrslow wrote: »
    Myself and Brian were filling in Meno on the location of your hotel in Limerick. It doesn't matter where you park your car, it'll end up there anyway.

haha. I know the place well. I've been there a few times before. I'll keep it in the underground car park.

Oddly enough, any times I've gone for a run from the hotel, the first and last two miles of the run are always the fastest until I get to safety. :D

Aimman wrote: »
    haha. I know the place well. I've been there a few times before. I'll keep it in the underground car park.

Oddly enough, any times I've gone for a run from the hotel, the first and last two miles of the run are always the fastest until I get to safety. :D

I'm from Limerick but I move to the left lane on the motorway for safety when passing that area at 120kph!:D

Great experience doing the pacing for this race. HotToTrot was pacing with me and we had the pace bands, garmins and red balloons ready to go.

A good group kept with us all the way around, but unfortunately lost many along the hills at Thomand Park and the Gaelic Grounds, particularly as the temperatures hit their peak. The occasional runner seen lying on the ground getting assistance didn't instill any confidence into the pacees who were trying their best to hang in with us for the last couple of miles after spending so much time with us from the start. Really enjoyed rallying up cheers and support from the crowd to give the runners a boost. Think some of the spectators in places were a bit embarrassed to raise a cheer though.

HotToTrot entertained the group after the halfway point with a few jokes and when the elite men were going past, some of the runners were debating upping the pace to stay behind them for a while. :rolleyes:

At mile 25, we sent on two women ahead to have a good crack at sub 4:30 as they were well able. I think they were too polite to head off in front after running all the way with us, but was glad of the invite to head off ahead. Tried to look behind for any potential sub 4:30 but the hill was covered in Half Marathon runners, couldn't spot anyone else. Got the crowd at the finish line to raise the roof to boost the half marathon finishers behind us.

Crossed the line in 4:28:31.

shared fond running anecdotes over a few glasses of carbonated water with Menoscemo, Oisin, RQ, Xebec, Briandarunner, Kandikane, Metamorphosis, LaCheile. Water tasted and looked funny with a white foamy head on it. Must be a Limerick thing.

26.2M in 4:28:31 (10:14 pace)

Monday
    After a big fry up breakfast, made the trip back to Dublin with Menoscemo. It was such a nice day, I couldn't resist going for a run. Unfortunately, My Garmin has now decided to act up on me. It will start up ok, but if I tip off it, the thing powers down, so there must be a loose connection somewhere. Just as well it didn't do that yesterday. Now I'll have to get it sorted before Kildare.

I donned an old fashion stopwatch and did a route I knew was 10.3M. Dont know if it was the lovely hot sunny day, or maybe the fact that I didn't have a wrist full of statistics to look at during the run, but I felt great all the way around. One of the rare occasions too when I didn't have to stop at any raod junctions etc, just kept on motoring.

10.3M in 1:30:55 (8:49 pace)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Great experience doing the pacing for this race. HotToTrot was pacing with me and we had the pace bands, garmins and red balloons ready to go.

A good group kept with us all the way around, but unfortunately lost many along the hills at Thomand Park and the Gaelic Grounds, particularly as the temperatures hit their peak. The occasional runner seen lying on the ground getting assistance didn't instill any confidence into the pacees who were trying their best to hang in with us for the last couple of miles after spending so much time with us from the start. Really enjoyed rallying up cheers and support from the crowd to give the runners a boost. Think some of the spectators in places were a bit embarrassed to raise a cheer though.

HotToTrot entertained the group after the halfway point with a few jokes and when the elite men were going past, some of the runners were debating upping the pace to stay behind them for a while. :rolleyes:

At mile 25, we sent on two women ahead to have a good crack at sub 4:30 as they were well able. I think they were too polite to head off in front after running all the way with us, but was glad of the invite to head off ahead. Tried to look behind for any potential sub 4:30 but the hill was covered in Half Marathon runners, couldn't spot anyone else. Got the crowd at the finish line to raise the roof to boost the half marathon finishers behind us.

Crossed the line in 4:28:31.

shared fond running anecdotes over a few glasses of carbonated water with Menoscemo, Oisin, RQ, Xebec, Briandarunner, Kandikane, Metamorphosis, LaCheile. Water tasted and looked funny with a white foamy head on it. Must be a Limerick thing.

26.2M in 4:28:31 (10:14 pace)

Monday
    After a big fry up breakfast, made the trip back to Dublin with Menoscemo. It was such a nice day, I couldn't resist going for a run. Unfortunately, My Garmin has now decided to act up on me. It will start up ok, but if I tip off it, the thing powers down, so there must be a loose connection somewhere. Just as well it didn't do that yesterday. Now I'll have to get it sorted before Kildare.

I donned an old fashion stopwatch and did a route I knew was 10.3M. Dont know if it was the lovely hot sunny day, or maybe the fact that I didn't have a wrist full of statistics to look at during the run, but I felt great all the way around. One of the rare occasions too when I didn't have to stop at any raod junctions etc, just kept on motoring.

10.3M in 1:30:55 (8:49 pace)
    Are you sure that was beer mate:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

better get my skids on,only a sneaki marathon btween us:D...

• Advertisement

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Are you sure that was beer mate:D

Knowing you and Kandikane, probably not. :mad:
    ultraman1 wrote: »
    better get my skids on,only a sneaki marathon btween us:D...

Didn't realise I was catching up. The pressure is on now. :-)

7 x 400m speedwork

Speedwork session in UCD today with fellow boardsies. Garmin was on the blink, so had the ol' Aldi stopwatch with just an opportunity to ckeck the pace at the halfway point.

After the marathon on Sunday and the brisk 10 miles yesterday, the legs felt a bit tired today and wasn't expecting much on the track. Planned to maybe start off at 7 min pace (1:45 per lap) and see how I got on.

Time 1:30 1:35 1:35 1:36 1:33 1:30 1:34
    Pace 6:02 6:22 6:22 6:26 6:14 6:02 6:18

Felt better then I expected after each interval and ran faster then planned on tired legs. Although it's not consistant, gave me a bit of a boost that my track speed has improved despite the long gap and looking forward to seeing what I can do when the legs will be a bit fresher, and also have to stretch it out to 800M intervals to get a better idea.

Covered 4.1M today (according to Menoscemo's log) .:D

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭clouter

Aimman did my first speedwork last week, 6 X 400M, just wondering how long of a recovery do you take is it time or distance based?, walking or jogging? Was running mine around the 2:00 mark but wasnt sure what to do between reps!! Any help appreciated thanks.

We didnt jog the rest period, just stopped, stretched and headed off after about 40 sec to a minute.

There are a few methods for what to do between the fast laps, a couple of them are

1: Jog half the fat lap distance slowly to recover

or

2: Rest for half the time it took to do the speed interval.

We didn't really stick to any set rest period as people were finishing intervals at different times, we just had a brief chat as people came in, then headed off, but I'd imagine it was around half the running time.

There is also a technique to run the fast session at x% effort and rest until your heart rate recovers to a certain % of your max rate, then do the fast lap again, but because I havent really used the HRM much in the past, I never really used this method. Might start to adopt it, if I have to get a new Garmin :D

There are a few camps that will swear by different approachs. I suppose its a matter of choosing one technique for a while so see if you notice any improvement. There's lots of advice on intreval training and each book has their own slant in a training program.

Is there any reason why you picked 2min intervals? What is yout 5k race pace?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭clouter

Thanks for that, read lots of different versions online and was totally confused as to what to go for. My 5k pace is 8:45/mile- not v fast I know!! Looked up Macmillan and it said to run thwm at just over 2:00. In the end I walked 2min between each rep which was too long as had no problem running 1:45/1:50s. But sure its a learning curve.

Will be following ur log with interest!

clouter wrote: »
    But sure its a learning curve.

Will be following ur log with interest!

But eventually the curve is not as steep and the speed goes up :-)

4M Recovery run today in 36.48 (9:11 pace)

Managed to crack open the Garmin and found the problem. Battery terminal corroded, but it was on a spring loaded connector. Managed to get it working again by padding it out with solder, but couldnt be guaranteed of the constant power. Then hardwired the two connectors together, but it was sill a bit messy. I think at this point, Garmin were not going to take it back as an exchange repair. Ordered a 305 from Amazon, (cheapest rate could find) and I have a bit of time to play around the 205 so that I might be able to use it as a back up in Portumna and Connemara during the Summer. Now I just have to wait at the letterbox like a puppy, waiting for it to arrive. At least now I'll be able to track the HR values a bit better.

Watchin McGyver on You Tube were you?

Watchin McGyver on You Tube were you?

Not really. I didn't have any chewing gum foil and the paper clip wasn't long enough.

Suprisingly easy to open the unit. I can get it working again, but will just take a bit of time which I dont have a lot of ( not a watch pun Mr Slow!!) :D

Not really. I didn't have any chewing gum foil and the paper clip wasn't long enough.

Suprisingly easy to open the unit. I can get it working again, but will just take a bit of time which I dont have a lot of ( not a watch pun Mr Slow!!) :D

Final question, did you use a little red swiss army knife?

Final question, did you use a little red swiss army knife?

I rang the Little Red Swiss Army and they said they only had forks left. :(

• Advertisement

5M Afternoon run
    Along the canal, just me and the stopwatch. Belted out at a blind fast pace and did the maths when I got back

5M in 38:45 (7:45 pace, Avg HR 152)

7.5M evening run
    With Menoscemo in Tymon. Would have been happy just ticking over 9:00 - 9:30 but we kept the pace up and it was fine. Though I was struggling for a bit, till I realised it was just a bit of a tummy cramp and needed to release the turbo gas.

7.5M in 1:04:13 (8:34 pace)

Total for today - 12.5M

Met up in the park with digger, claralara, jcsmum, shazkea, Nules10 and Pistol_75.

Nice easy meandering route around the park with a visit to the war memorial park. Me and digger dragged everyone up the knockmaroon hill, to the objections of certain members.... Was very satisfying running past Claralara whilst she battled up the hill on her bike. Finally go to visit Farmleigh and answered that age old question I had "Where is that big tower in the park that I can see from a distance?" I can rest easy tonight now.

Was good to do a bit of running in a group again, as I was always doing something else when the group runs were scheduled. Garmin is in the post so I'll be watching the letterbox like a guard dog for the next few days.

16.5M in 2:42 (9:50 pace)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

So you admit that it was you who dragged us up that hill with your accomplice! Sadist.
    Great to run with you today (practicing for Cork!) :D

Feckin Splitters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

jcsmum wrote: »
    So you admit that it was you who dragged us up that hill with your accomplice! Sadist.
    +1 - good to meet you today and see you after Kildare next week
    Feckin Splitters!
    Mrslow may be changing my LSR day to Sun in future - ye wouldn't do that to us.....actually on seconds thoughts, you would. Scrap that running on Mondays instead!!

shazkea wrote: »
    Mrslow may be changing my LSR day to Sun in future - ye wouldn't do that to us.....actually on seconds thoughts, you would. Scrap that running on Mondays instead!!

Don't be a sheep Shaz, learn to say no! ;)

Met up in the park with digger, claralara, jcsmum, shazkea, Nules10 and Pistol_75.

Nice easy meandering route around the park with a visit to the war memorial park. Me and digger dragged everyone up the knockmaroon hill, to the objections of certain members.... Was very satisfying running past Claralara whilst she battled up the hill on her bike. Finally go to visit Farmleigh and answered that age old question I had "Where is that big tower in the park that I can see from a distance?" I can rest easy tonight now.

Was good to do a bit of running in a group again, as I was always doing something else when the group runs were scheduled. Garmin is in the post so I'll be watching the letterbox like a guard dog for the next few days.

16.5M in 2:42 (9:50 pace)
    Eamonn pfftt 16.5 miles get your ass in gear:D

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Eamonn pfftt 16.5 miles get your ass in gear:D

Had to get back early to bring people to the airport. didnt have time to do any more. But I'll try harder next time Frank. :o

Had to get back early to bring people to the airport. didnt have time to do any more. But I'll try harder next time Frank. :o
    c+ must try harder:D

• Advertisement

jcsmum wrote: »

There's big hills in Cork, You'll thank me in June
    shazkea wrote: »

Oh Yes he would,,,,,,,,,,
    Feckin Splitters!

We waited at the top for everyone. :p

Advertisement