Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry, I thought you said get faster before the 100th Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Do you know what your paces are when running the intervals or do you just push as hard as you cand and read them afterwards on your garmin?
    Trying to figure best way to do this myself :confused:

I'm not trying to push as hard as I can, otherwise I'd be completely wrecked before the 3rd interval. I'm trying to stick to a particular pace that I can achieve for each interval according to a 5k race time.

McMillan recons a 5k pace for a 3:29 marathon is 6:54. While I'm not at that Marathon standard yet, I experimented with 7:20 pace last week and managed it ok, but had slower 4th and 5th intervals. The idea is to keep targeting that pace, till all intervals are around the same pace, then start drawing out the distances, eg. 1200m sessions. I had a good week this time, keeping a constant lap pace, so if I can repeat it next week, I'll draw out the distances the week after to 1000m or 1200m

With the garmin 205, I have four fields on the screen for intervals. Distance, Lap Time, Current Lap Pace and Last Lap Pace. I also disable the auto lap feature.

When I'm running, I can see the current lap pace by glancing at the watch every now and again. adjusting the pace as I need to, in case I've set off too quickly. The last 100m shouldnt be a half harted attempt to cross the line either, otherwise the overall target pace is too fast if you cant finish the interval well.

As I pass the finish line, I hit the lap button (not the stop button), and the timer resets itself to 0 and keeps counting, this is the resting time and you will still see the last lap on the screen (the interval you just ran) so you can look at it while gasping for breath. When the rest period is over, just hit the lap button again and go for it. That way, when you analyse the session afterwards, you'll see both your interval times and rest periods.

In summary, dont go hell for leather, work out your race 5k time and start there. target that pace for each interval speeding up or slowing down to hit that lap pace each time. If you cant, the pace is too ambitious, slow it down the next session and target consisnancy. If you can manage it, work on increasing the pace slightly or draw out the distance of the interval.

Thursday

5M recovery at lunchtime in 44:15. didnt refer to the watch again, just ran what felt comfortable. Ended up with overall 8:50 pace, probably a bit too fast for recovery but felt comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Intervals for a 4 hour finish is slower than I know I can do , so I am trying to figure out what pace is best . So I do tend to give it a lash to try to work out what I should be aiming for .
    I set my garmin for 800m intervals with either 2 minute recovery or .25 miles ( 400m) it gives a few beeps as the interval approaches and beeps at the end to signify the end. Same for the rest period. Have pace and heart rate on display usually, but its hard to see it in the dark and rain.
    Your explanaation is super so going to print it out and study it a bit and try to figure out something. Comrades coach is not keen on intervals , preferring hill reps and 20 minute bursts of effort rather than shorter spells. But I want to keep aiming for one a week, especially if I dont get the hills done.

So , plan is ...
    -change garmin display to current pace;
    -Find a flat bit of road and perhaps mark out an 800 meter distance on it and just run the exact same bit each time so I am not relying on garmin to tell me when I get there.
    -Start and stop lap times at beginning and end and see what I can manage.

How important is it for a flat road. If it is hillly/undulating but I get the same effort on heart rate- would this be as effective training

1: Have pace and heart rate on display usually, but its hard to see it in the dark and rain.

2: How important is it for a flat road. If it is hillly/undulating but I get the same effort on heart rate- would this be as effective training

1: Which Garmin do you have? You should be able to set the lenght of time the light stays on, up to 2 mins or else stay on all the time. You should get plenty of battery life out of it for the intervals, just remember to set the Light duration back to something a bit smaller for other runs.

2: I would guess that a flat road would be more benifical becuase it would enable you to keep a more steady pace for the whole 800m, instead of putting your body through periods of strain on the uphills, then having to work harder on the downhills to catch up. I'm sure its helping part of your endurance, but not training your body to settle into a fast constant pace with same effort. Just my observation, I could be wrong.

I think the short fast bursts during the warm up helped me to settle into the fast running easier then before. Ran for half mile, did some jumps, side star jumps, high knees, kick backs etc, then at the mile point, i did short 50m bursts to get the heart rate up so that the oxygen was already circulating quickly aroud the body, thus not flagging by interval no. 3 and did some static stretches at 1.5M, then got ready. But I'll need to have a go at it again next week, to be sure and that it just wasnt one of those 'Good Days' for running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Have a forerunner 405. Will change light and settings and see how I get on. Thanks for taking the time on this.

Have a forerunner 405. Will change light and settings and see how I get on. Thanks for taking the time on this.

No worriesd, hope it is useful, If you end up beating me in Connemara because of it, you'll owe me a pint in Peacocks! :D

• Advertisement

4.9M Lunchtime outing along the canal, handy 2M out, battles the wind on the way back, but was an easy 9:30 pace

Evening
    Went out this evening to Tymon, but took a wrong turn and ended up in the middle of the Australian Cyclone with Menoscemo. If ever there was a day to start back tempo runs, this wasn't it. Planned a 3M warm up, 3M at 7:50 pace to see how it felt, then a cool down. The only problem was battling into headwind for the fast miles, but we worked out a route that would have us shielded against the wind for as much as possible.

The fast three miles were difficult enough, but granted I was running them back to back at the same pace as my 800m intervals a few weeks ago, so it was a valuable session. Was handy to have Menoscemo cracking the whip to keep me going. The fast miles went (7:51) (7:43) (8:03) I'd have to try that again in calmer conditions for a better idea.
    Lunchtime 4.9M
    Evening 7.55M
    Daily total 12.45M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Aimman wrote: »
    Strangely though, after the fast miles, the 0.85 run back to the car was at 7:59 pace. didn't seem that fast, must have been the wind behind us pushing us along.

No it wasn't :pac: It was 0.85mile in 7:59 total.

menoscemo wrote: »
    No it wasn't :pac: It was 0.85mile in 7:59 total.

I know, I felt so silly when I realised. Took it out of my log, proper schoolboy error, reading the wrong column. I blame the wind rushing through my ears.

Handy light 5M run at lunchtime. First half headlong into the wind, The canal was very rough, nerarly could have surfed on the waves.

5M in 48.06 (9:35 pace)

Special Invitation, as in I was the only invite. Wanted to get the mileage up to 26.2M for the day and test a few things out so ran the route with no pressure on pace. Wanted to spend time on the feet, so set a rough time of 4:30 which sould be very easy, but good mental preparation and wanted to test out something for my biggie races in the Summer

Armed myself with the Aldi isotonic drink, 3 gels and 2 potato farls. Wasn't planning on using all the gels, but just in case.

Lovely run in the rain, thankfully the wind died down but the debris about the side roads was savage. Took a gel at 11M. Didn't need it, but no harm buffering the supplies.

At mile 16.2, it was time to try out my run/walk strategy. For the 100k and 100M in the summer, I'll thinking about a 9M run/ 1M walk to get me around. Wanted to see if the last 9M felt any different after walking. Had one of the Potato Farls at this point. At 17.2 miles, started running again for the last 9M. Was a bit strange on the arm muscles getting back into the running. Will have to do it a few more times after Connemara.

Dodged into a €2 shop and pick up some red bull drink for the last stretch. I felt great and sped up for the last 5M taking in the miles easy. At the end, I hit 4:29:32, perfect! worked out nicely. Time on the feet for 4:30. Not sure if the mile walk or the red bull helped the last 9 miles, but the whole run was a success and could have done more miles afterwards, but decided to keep the first ultra run of 2011 for the 50k.;)

Legs felt really great afterwards. Was a bit stiff when I went to stand up, but that was because I had my feet up for the whole Rugby match. :o

Very happy with today's outing. 33 days back training and up to Marathon distance already. Distance and Psychological training all sorted. Wont be brining any more goodies on LSR's. I'm happy with what works. I'll be putting more emphasis on bringing up the speed. It may not make any significant contribution to the Ultras, but laying the foundation early for DCM.

PS. think this is my 6th marathon distance in training in 2 years, it sucks when you don't get a medal for it or cant add it to your official count, lol.

• Advertisement

Training for 4:30 pacing duties? Though I'm not sure that your pacees would be happy with your run walk stategy lol.

Training for 4:30 pacing duties? Though I'm not sure that your pacees would be happy with your run walk stategy lol.

haha, no way. I wasn't going for constant pace at all, just trying out a few things. I don't think they'd be happy with me ducking into a shop to pick up Red Bulls either.

Actually remembered to bring the HRM with me today. Had to dust it off. Had an average of 134bpm all the way.

Was chomping at the bit all day to get out for a run, but didn't get a chance till the evening. Started off at a good pace, but had a bit of a stomach cramp for the first 3 miles which slowed me down, probably from excess cookies and jaffa cakes over the afternoon.

Once it settled down, picked up the pace again and kept running strong till the end. Didnt feel like I ran the marathon distance yesterday, legs feeling good.

8 Miles in 1:11 (8:50 pace)

This Weeks Miles - 67.77

Lunchtime - 4M @ recovery pace 9:18 (37:48)

Evening - 6.3M @ 9:10 pace (57:57). Took a couple of miles to get going, legs were a bit sluggish but warmed up in mile 3 and brought up the pace.

Total for today 10.3M

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

How many hours between your two runs? How do you find the double days? Did a load of double days last year and loved it but it was swim and run...

How many hours between your two runs? How do you find the double days? Did a load of double days last year and loved it but it was swim and run...

Finish the Lunchtime run about 1:45 and start the evening run about 5:30, so less then 4 hours. I'm coping with them better this year, but to be honest, I think I would be better off doing longer mid week running one of the evenings instead of a few miles during the lunchtime that day, ie 10-15 miles. Also looking forward to some early morning running instead of lunchtime, but when the alarm goes off at 7am and it'still pitch dark, I usually get back under the covers. :o

Also looking forward to some early morning running instead of lunchtime, but when the alarm goes off at 7am and it'still pitch dark, I usually get back under the covers. :o

Thinking about doing that this thursday, early morning run into work and an evening run after work.

I ran in last week. I Left the house ata bout 7:30 and it was already bright enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

I might do the same for my tempo run on Friday. Get the 6:20 train into Heuston in my running gear. Start the easy mile up the hill to James at 7 and then try to do 7 at 8 min pace. 2 out to the Canal at Blackhorse and then 2 more out and and back along the canal back to Blackhorse and 1 last mile up to work and a shower.
    Theres about half of that on cement footpaths though.
    And i would have to be up around 5:35 and leaving the house at 6:10 which might be a problem.
    I have done it before but I have also just turned over in bed as well.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

The doubles are a nightmare over the winter season, with the dark mornings and all that. But it is so rewarding to get two runs done in the day. I especially like having a big breakfast after the morning run - feels well deserved! Although sometimes I feel like falling asleep a couple of hours into work.

ps fair play on the marathon in training - I've never managed that - dont have the patience for it myself. fwiw, I am a big supporter of the run/ walk plan - its tough to do it early on, but quite rewarding later on the run.

Thinking about doing that this thursday, early morning run into work and an evening run after work.

Will keep the carbon footprint down ;)
    I out to the Canal at Blackhorse and then 2 more out and and back along the canal back to Blackhorse and 1 last mile up to work and a shower.
    You're not too far from where I'm running at lunchtime

Killerz wrote: »
    The doubles are a nightmare over the winter season, with the dark mornings and all that. But it is so rewarding to get two runs done in the day. I especially like having a big breakfast after the morning run - feels well deserved! Although sometimes I feel like falling asleep a couple of hours into work.

ps fair play on the marathon in training - I've never managed that - dont have the patience for it myself. fwiw, I am a big supporter of the run/ walk plan - its tough to do it early on, but quite rewarding later on the run.

I'd need someone with a high powered spotlight to shine it in the window, so I'll think its sunny. One I get dessed and running, its not so bad, but the bed always looks better than the road first thing in the dark.

• Advertisement

Warmed up on the track and got stuck into the intervals with RK and Menoscemo.

Was planning on maintaining a consistant 7 min miles (3:30 time). Went out a bit too fast and lost pace by the 4th interval. The increasing wind didnt help either, forced myself to run a fifth, then tricked myself into doing a 6th so that I completed the session, regardless of running out of steam

Pace (6:49) (6:43) (6:49) (7:05) (7:16) (7:18)
    Time (3:29) (3:26) (3:28) (3:31) (3:36) (3:41)

6M total including WU and CD

Planned 3M @ 7:50 pace with warm up and cool down. Did 3M very slowly to start with, legs were like lead and wasn't looking forward to speeding up. Met up with Menoscemo and cracked on at 7:50 pace. Got a bit distracted because I forgot to set auto lap, so I wasn't getting the split times, so had to get the pace from Menoscemo's watch. Probably a good thing, because I was running blind for a while. 3Ms were at 7:47, 7:49, 7:50

Wasn't enjoying it, but it wasn't a killer. It felt much better then last week's without the wind. Will have to start stretching out the miles gradually.

Finished off the session with a slow run.

8M in 1:11 overall.

4M recovery in 36:08 (9:02 pace)

Nice morning for a run, met up with some of the boardies in the park. I'm not 100% sure but I think that's the longest run I've done in the park. Normally I like to plot a big route so that I'm not looping around and around looking at the same scenery (Donadea 20M loopy run last month excluded), but It was good to get out into the war memorial gardens and up the Knockmaroon Hill.

Very enjoyable group run and enjoyed the chat along the way, but ran out of steam somewhat at mile 20M didnt have that much fluids and didnt take any gel, might have made the difference. Managed to stretch it to the 22M point, but the last mile was slower then the rest.

22M @ 9:45 pace

Highlight of the day:, on the last loop back to the car park, had a herd of deer cut across our path to get across the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Highlight of the day:, on the last loop back to the car park, had a herd of deer cut across our path to get across the road.

Yea,a nice moment alright. I wish I had some of their speed :)

DigiJem wrote: »
    Yea,a nice moment alright. I wish I had some of their speed :)

You were motoring along today no bother.

Handy 6M Recovery in Marly Park this morning. Could have done more, it was a nice day, but would probably defeat the idea of a recovery run.

6M in 55:05 (9:11 pace, Avg HR 128)

56Miles for the week

Roses are Red
    Violets are Blue,
    I'm getting faster
    But there's more to do! :D

What better way to get the heart racing on Valentine's Day then a good belt of a run at Lunchtime.

Was one of those days where the sun was out and the legs were happy.

5M along the canal out and back, with the last half into the wind.

Miles - Pace
    1 - 7:45
    2 - 7:32
    3 - 7:55
    4 - 8:54 (Head on winds were slowing me down)
    5 - 8:46 (*Decided to HTFU and lash into the wind regardless)

Last mile was the best because despite getting slower into the wind, I pushed myself to overcome it and gain back a bit of pace.

5M in 40:50 (8:10 pace) Avg HR 142

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

What better way to get the heart racing on Valentine's Day then a good.
    ;)

• Advertisement

Oh... matron.... :o

Advertisement