Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry, I thought you said get faster before the 100th Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Aimman wrote: »
    All things going well, I'll start off at 9min miles for the first 26.2M and try to keep the pace under 9:30 for the last 13.1M. Hoping to get in under 6:15

I'm interested in the 5in5, but it depends on the cost including 5 days in limerick etc. If I can manage it, I'll do it. Would be good training for the Conn100 i think.
    B and b in sixmilebridge and its dirt cheap. The first 1 is not on till the evening so only 4 nights accomadation needed. Ill be doing all 5, hope to get quicker each day and try to get the last 1 under 3.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

5M Lunchtime run along the Canal
    Wanted to open up the pace to see how the legs were recovering after the 30M run. Felt good and fresh and the pace was comfortably manageable
    (7:57) (7:46) (7:17) (7:42) (7:25)

5M in 38:05 (7:37 pace)

Evening run in Tymon
    Was meeting Menoscemo at 6 and had half an hour to spare, so knocked out a quick loop beforehand bringing the first half up to 3.5M
    (7:55) (7:49) (7:25) (7:04 for last half)

Did a 0.5M jog before I found out that Meno forgot his gym gear and wasn't able to do PE. I'm awaiting a note from home to explain. :D

Decided to do another loop before heading home, another 3.5M. Temperature dropped quite sharply for the second loop, made an impact on the breathing and found it harder to keep the same pace as the first loop
    (8:01) (8:05) (8:05) (7:34 for last half)

Evening Summary
    3.5M in 26:39 (7:37 pace)
    0.5M jog in 4:45 (9:30 pace)
    3.5M in 27:57 (7:59 pace)

Total of 12.5M for the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Recently it looks more like you're training for a short distance race and not for a load of ultras :pac:

Where is all this pace coming from all of a sudden and can you give me some of it?

menoscemo wrote: »
    Recently it looks more like you're training for a short distance race and not for a load of ultras :pac:

Where is all this pace coming from all of a sudden and can you give me some of it?

Dont worry, ;) The Ultra training is coming along nicely. Just getting the body used to running a bit quicker while I have the speed in the legs. Long may it live. After tomorrow, it will be difficult to get out for another long run until Monday evening. I dont plan on running anyway near this pace for the ultras, but it's putting the ground work in for the Marathon pacing in May and ultimately to take a nice chunk off my PB in Dublin.

However, the question is, will it be enough to get my MacMillan 10M time in Mallow next weekend?:confused:

However, the question is, will it be enough to get my MacMillan 10M time in Mallow next weekend?:confused:

What's the mcmillan time?
    I'd expect 1:15:xx out of you at the very least.

• Advertisement

What's the mcmillan time?
    I'd expect 1:15:xx out of you at the very least.

Yeah, thats the one. 7:30 pace the whole way around. Should be interesting. Do they have pacers in Mallow?

8M along the canal

Lovely day today, fantastic running conditions along the canal, went for another 8 miles under 8 min pacing. Felt comfortable on the way out and back.

(7:53) (7:34) (7:32) (7:38) (7:45) (7:52) (7:45) (7:36)

8M in 1:01:34 (7:42 pace)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Good running but thats almost tempo affort on consecutive days. Take an easy day tomorrow. See you down in Mallow. I hear people are flying in from abroad for it. Must be a good one :D

Cheers. I'm going to take it easy for the next couple of days. I have a *cough* 'Hydration Day' planned for Patrick's Day tomorrow, so no running for me. Then on Friday I have a Hangov... em I mean 'Recovery' run planned.

Looking forward to putting the new pace to the test in Mallow. Did you get the VIP invite to fly in for it? ;)

8M along the canal

Lovely day today, fantastic running conditions along the canal, went for another 8 miles under 8 min pacing. Felt comfortable on the way out and back.

(7:53) (7:34) (7:32) (7:38) (7:45) (7:52) (7:45) (7:36)

8M in 1:01:34 (7:42 pace)
    If you can do 8 at that pace you should be targeting at least 1.14 for mallow if not 1.13.
    Empty the tank:D
    Your after getting a fair bit of speed from somewhere. Keep it up and go 1.38, 1.39 for a half and have a go at 3.30 in Dublin. You never know they might let me pace 3.30 in Dublin and ill get you around:D

• Advertisement

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    If you can do 8 at that pace you should be targeting at least 1.14 for mallow if not 1.13.
    Empty the tank:D
    Your after getting a fair bit of speed from somewhere. Keep it up and go 1.38, 1.39 for a half and have a go at 3.30 in Dublin. You never know they might let me pace 3.30 in Dublin and ill get you around:D

Definitely gunning for sub 3:30 in Dublin, had that in my head since crossing the line last year. I'll have to find a suitable half during the year as a check up and then a crack at the Dublin half in September.

Reckon you'll be well able for pacing 3:30 in October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Definitely gunning for sub 3:30 in Dublin,

dont be lookin to far forward,consentrate on yir next 1;)

Looking forward to putting the new pace to the test in Mallow. Did you get the VIP invite to fly in for it? ;)

Not only do i have a VIP invite, they cancelled the race last January when they heard i couldn't make it ;)

If you're serious about sub 3:30, forget about the Dingle ultra. Its one or the other.

Definitely gunning for sub 3:30 in Dublin, had that in my head since crossing the line last year. I'll have to find a suitable half during the year as a check up and then a crack at the Dublin half in September.

Reckon you'll be well able for pacing 3:30 in October.
    Yeah but will they let me:D

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Yeah but will they let me:D

I'll put in a good word for you, just have to figure out what that word will be. :confused::p

3M Recover run today.
    Ran an effortless 8:50 pace today. Had a good Paddy's day yesterday and drank/ate more food then you could shake a shillelagh at. Not even contemplating my calorie count, but I'm sure I'll eventually balance it out by mid October.

3M in 26:28 (8:49 pace)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

You are back down 4 pages. Are you having a rest week?:rolleyes:

You are back down 4 pages. Are you having a rest week?:rolleyes:

Sort of. Did some running, but haven't had a chance to post till now. :D

Saturday - Not a chance of running, too busy, sort of day of rest :-)

Sunday - 5M in Tymon
    Suffering from DOMSN before I even started running 'Delayed Onset of Manic Saturday Night'

Tummy was a bit ropey, but was my own fault from all the late night celebrating in town after the match, but still managed to pull off some decent speed
    (7:43) (7:53) (7:53) (7:49) (7:52)
    5M in 39:11 (7:50 pace)

Monday - 20M run after work
    Had planned to run the first 10 miles at 8:30 pace then ease down to 9:00 miles for the second half as thats where all the hills come in, but felt good after first 10 miles

Pace went thus
    (8:31) (8:25) (8:30) (8:29) (8:34)
    (8:31) (8:25) (8:25) (8:27) (8:26)
    (8:24) (9:19) (8:24) (8:52) (8:47)
    (8:28) (8:25) (8:41) for 1st 18 miles

first 10 miles went by quite quickly (took a gel at 9 miles) and tackled the first hill from Seapoint to Deans grange quite well. Had a Rice Krispie Chocolate Square in Deans grange and lashed up the Foxrock hill to the N11 (9:19 pace for the mile), was a bit of a challenge but managed to catch up on the pace on the next mile into Stillorgan. Took next Krispie square at mile 17 but the pace was falling off before I got to mile 18 and I thought I was out of drinks. Got very thirsty so decided to bring the pace down until I got to a shop. Once there, I had a big bottle of Boost and opened it up for the last mile. When I got home, I realised that I still had a small bottle of isotonic in my belt. I thought I had used all the drinks. It might have made the difference for me to keep up a decent pace for mile 19 and 20.

Last two miles went (9:56 thirsty mile) (8:41)

Total for the day
    18M in 2:34:03 (8:34 pace)
    2M in 18:38 (9:18 pace) after I got some fluids before the last mile

Taper time now and want to get the legs rested a bit for the Mallow 10M

Welcome back.
    More great running going on . For those sub 8 miles you do now, what kind of heart rate effort or general effort are you at?

What have you in mind for Connemara pace wise or aimed finishing time?
    I'd love to get to where 8 or even 8.30 mm is my crusising pace. But dont know if a year would be enough to get to that, if ever.

W
    For those sub 8 miles you do now, what kind of heart rate effort or general effort are you at?

I shyed away from the HR strap for the last while because I always found it difficult to breathe while I was wearing it, but that was all in the head and it wasnt the strap causing the restricted breathing. I have that sorted out now (I hope) and that's why I've been running the faster runs without it to get used to the pace and get the confidence up. I'm going to start wearing it from tonight onwards and stop blaming the strap on holding me back, so I should know what my HR will be for the 8:30 and 8:00 pace over the next few of weeks. Not sure I'll be used to wearing it for Mallow though and dont want to blame it if I have a bad race day.

Ah here, I sound like a jockey trying to get a horse used to wearing a saddle! :confused:
    What have you in mind for Connemara pace wise or aimed finishing time?
    I'd love to get to where 8 or even 8.30 mm is my crusising pace. But dont know if a year would be enough to get to that, if ever.

Last year I completed it with an overall pace of 10:01 min miles, but the last third took a lot out of me. I feel that I could go out easily with 9 min miles for a while, but not sure how long I will sustain it. That would be a 5:53 run which might be a bit ambitious, however, if I end up losing pace, I really want to keep the overall pace at 9:30 min miles at the most getting me home within 6:15

Running the whole 20M last night at 8:30 pace (mostly) was a bit of a gamble at the start of the taper but I have no intentions of trying to do that on the day .....(waits for Menoscemo to point out my tendency to shoot off at the start line):rolleyes:

I'm going to start wearing it from tonight onwards and stop blaming the strap on

Too much information :D

• Advertisement

YOu seem goood for the 9;30 already , perhaps with a bit of a bonus. see you on the start line.

Too much information :D

Aggh, cant believe I missed that one, I'll have to be more careful next time.

Tuesday 5M recovery
    Took it nice and easy around the park. Wore the 'strap on' HRM (for Brian's amusement:D) to get a better picture of where I am with the increase in pace etc.

Unfortunately, I got my recovery times mixed up. Thought it should be 9-9:30, Actually should have been between 9:29 and 9:59 with HR below 136. I ended up with an average pace of 9:08 but the average HR was 131.

Anyway, I'll keep a better eye on the HR stats from now on.

5.2M in 47:31 (9:08 pace, Avg HR 131)

I'd be interested to know what your maximum and resting heart rate is as a number is almost irrelevant on its own. My cruising pace( 70% working heart rate/heart rate reserve) is 150 bpm but thats my friend's absolute maximum heart rate.

Where are you staying for the Ultra? I am debating what to do as current accommodation arrangements have fallen asunder. Dont know if I will miss much if I go home or do something else but would feel really awkward if I stayed and didnt know anyone else around to hang out with .

I'd be interested to know what your maximum and resting heart rate is as a number is almost irrelevant on its own. My cruising pace( 70% working heart rate/heart rate reserve) is 150 bpm but thats my friend's absolute maximum heart rate.

Where are you staying for the Ultra? I am debating what to do as current accommodation arrangements have fallen asunder. Don't know if I will miss much if I go home or do something else but would feel really awkward if I stayed and didn't know anyone else around to hang out with .

I'm just going by the old rule of thumb, 220-age for Maximum, which leaves me with 179 for max (oops, I'm giving my age away)

so 131 would be 73% maximum. (haven't done the resting test in a while to calculate the reserve rate

For a 3:29 marathon runner (not quite me yet, but training on those figures), according to MacMillan, Recovery runs should be run at 9:29 - 9:59 and P&D puts that HR at below 76% (below 136bpm in my case)

We're staying in Oughterard the night before the race. I stayed in the Connemara Lake Hotel there last year, but haven't been able to get through this time, think it went to the wall, but staying in the Boat beside it instead now. Have the Jury's Inn, Galway booked for the Sunday night to enjoy the night in the City. Think Menoscemo and Oisin are staying in the City too on the Sunday night. Depends on how long the legs and eyes still function on the Sunday though, will determine how long the celebrations will last. :D

4M Lunchtime run
    Lovely day, took my time and enjoyed it along the canal

4M in 36:28 (9:08 pace HR 134 - 74% effort)

7M evening run in the Phoenix Park.

With Mallow on Sunday and a chance of a sub75, I wanted to just do a couple of the miles under 7:30 to get the feel of the pace and feel a bit more confident about keeping the pace up (had to reword that before Brian jumped in)

Got the speed up straight away. After 3 miles, I thought I'd ease off but legs wouldn't let me so I went for another. Before I knew it, I was still motoring along sub 7:30 after 5 miles and thought it best to slow it down. The message got lost between the brain and legs. Mile 7 started at the base of the Khyber so I thought that might slow me up and get in a little hill run for Conn, That mile went in 7:33. I felt really great and comfortable and could have gone for another 3 miles at this pace, but I wanted to have a chance of getting the 10M PB in Mallow, not during a training run. Forced myself to stop and reset the Garmin so that the overall time was back to zero and resist the temptation. Jogged out a slow 0.5M back to the car.

Was quite surprised how good the run went. Just need to make sure I can recover in time for Sunday and go sub 75 in style.

Kept an eye on the HR also and it stayed at 148 average for the whole run (82% Max)

Pace per mile was
    (7:44) (7:15) (7:03) (7:25) (7:25) (7:50) (7:33)

Very happy with tonight's run

7M in 52.17 (7:28 pace, HR Avg 148, 82% Max)

Altogether, 11.5M today :D

:eek:
    That's some serious running especially with such a low HR. Either your max HR is very low or you are gonna have to revise your target for sunday right down.

With a max HR of Low 180's I'd expect to be able to hold a HR of around 168 for the 10 miler (about 90% max).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

:eek:
    That's some serious running especially with such a low HR. Either your max HR is very low or you are gonna have to revise your target for sunday right down.

With a max HR of Low 180's I'd expect to be able to hold a HR of around 168 for the 10 miler (about 90% max).

+1 either your heart rate max is wrong or you should be pushing for a sub 70 in Mallow based on that effort for the pace.

The real time HR was spiking up as high as 183 at the start of the first mile, while I was warming up, but dont know if its a few innacurate readings during the warm up, or if my Max HR is actually higher then 179. Dont fancy forking out money on a VO2Max test though to find out.

+1 either your heart rate max is wrong or you should be pushing for a sub 70 in Mallow based on that effort for the pace.

Ot the Aldi HR watch is on its way out and giving false readings. Unfortunately I didnt opt for the Heart Rate option on the Garmin, just got the 205. I didnt realise the benefit of the HR at the time and wasnt really using the Aldi one much. Sorry I didnt pay the few euros extra now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

The real time HR was spiking up as high as 183 at the start of the first mile, while I was warming up, but dont know if its a few innacurate readings during the warm up, or if my Max HR is actually higher then 179. Dont fancy forking out money on a VO2Max test though to find out.

The spike at the start seems to happen to most people including myself. The fact you held that average pace against the average hr and from what you say feeling good/reigning it back in would suggest you can certainly go faster over the 10 miles.
    Time to reset your central governor:) good luck down there with the revised sub 70 attempt:pac:

Advertisement