Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry, I thought you said get faster before the 100th Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Aimman wrote: »
    5M lunchtime run.

Head wasnt with the run today, my thoughts were with Eddie, critical in the ICU after his accident on Sunday Night after Connemara so the pace seemed to be all over the place.

(8:11) (8:39) (8:06) (7:44) (7:49)

Run fell short at 4.9M, wasnt really bothered in making up the last 0.1M

4.9M in 39.42 (8:06 pace)

If you want to send a message to Eddie (Sarsefieldrock) post on his log here and we'll get it to his bedside.

Thanks for posting Aimman; reminds you again of the importance of life.
    I've seen one life starting these past few days and its amazing to see a little one so small struggle to take the first steps in life. I don't know Eddie but reading the posts people have left for him suggests he's an all round decent sort. Any man that can do distance running has lots of fight in him, here's hoping that fortitude stands to him over the next few days and nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done again on Sunday, great performance.

Hope you’re doing ok, Eddie and his family are in my thoughts and prayers. Wishing him a healthy recovery, he’s such a great guy!

Unfortunately I didn’t miss the cameras, they just couldn’t see my number with my belt! They’re tagged now…all hideously horrendous! By the way I can’t find my laser card..the last transaction online appears to have been a round of colas in the Quays…:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

claralara wrote: »
    Unfortunately I didn’t miss the cameras, they just couldn’t see my number with my belt! They’re tagged now…all hideously horrendous! By the way I can’t find my laser card..the last transaction online appears to have been a round of colas in the Quays…:rolleyes:

Ouch, I've had those mornings a few times, waking up with no money in the pockets and a bunch of laser receipts from the bar. It's times like that I wish I had lost the card before using it. I hope you get a replacement soon, so that you dont have to borrow Jevis's one. :D

How are the legs now? Have you gone out for runs yet, or are you taking it easy for a while?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

How are the legs now? Have you gone out for runs yet, or are you taking it easy for a while?

Haven't been out for a run yet but I'm heading to Krakow now for the weekend and I have the gear packed so I'm looking forward to getting a few miles in over the next few days. The legs feel good at the minute, it'll be interesting to see how they react when I try to run though!:rolleyes:

I hope you're recovery has involved more healthy food and less wine than mine has so far..:D

claralara wrote: »
    I hope you're recovery has involved more healthy food and less wine than mine has so far..:D

:rolleyes::o:rolleyes::o:rolleyes::o:rolleyes::o

Only if you are gorging on double deep fried pizza stuffed with king size mars bars topped with a red wine sauce made with a 15% Merlot.

There's a great garden that goes around the centre of Krakow and has running paths right around it. It's in a big ring, cant miss it.

Oh, and if you are wondering where all the night clubs are, they are all mainly underground. :D Hang onto your new laser card though for when you are buying those colas.

• Advertisement

5M NCT

Headed out after work and let the legs take over. Felt really good all the way around but didnt try to overdo it. No worries on the legs. Cant wait to get back into some speed work next week and see if I can bring my interval times down a bit more.

(8:24) (8:18) (7:49) (7:51) (7:49)

5M in 40:12 (8:02 pace, forgot the HRM)

Have to take it a bit easier over the next couple of days. Have the Kildare Marathon Recce for the pacers on the Sunday morning, so another 26.2M to bang out in 4 hours in a couple of days, and it's only a trial run. Think we'd deserve a spare medal for it. :D

Maybe a gentle 3M tomorrow and a little rest on the Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Have the Kildare Marathon Recce for the pacers on the Sunday morning, so another 26.2M to bang out in 4 hours in a couple of days, and it's only a trial run.

Do you have to do a trial run to pace Kildare? I thought it just went by your most recent time?

mrslow wrote: »
    Do you have to do a trial run to pace Kildare? I thought it just went by your most recent time?

Ah no, its not for pacer positions, its not the Grand Prix :-)

We are running the whole route at the same time as when it is on next month to see if there might be any traffic problems etc and to get familiar with the route, bit of a dress rehersal really.

Ah no, its not for pacer positions, its not the Grand Prix :-)

We are running the whole route at the same time as when it is on next month to see if there might be any traffic problems etc and to get familiar with the route, bit of a dress rehersal really.

Aha, now you know why my username is what it is.

10k Forest Trail run

Unfortunately, the Kildare Marathon recce was cancelled today. Mind you, it gave me the opportunity to watch the Grand Prix and London Marathon in bed.

With the fantastic sunshine, how could I not enjoy a lovely run around Leitrim's Lough Key Forest Park.

10k (6.2M) in 54.51 (8:50 pace)

• Advertisement

13.1M around the Dublin Half Marathon Route

After the recce being postponed yesterday, I feel like I didn't get a long enough run done this weekend. Hit the park after work to run the Half marathon route. Legs felt in great shape, so I thought I might have a bit of a time trial for the first 5k and then just take it easy for the last 10M. My best 5k time so far is 22:13 so I belted off down the road to try and clock a good 5k. The usual 0.1M on top of the first 3M to make up the 5k seemed to stretch out the whole run. Hit the 5k mark in 22:47 .. feck, missed it. Think I was holding back for the other 10M, now for a slow pace to finish off the other 10M

Eh.. don't think so, legs were all reved up and no place to go. I missed out on the 5k pb.. what about the half? I had two attempts of the half last year and only managed 1:46:19 at best in Dublin. didn't have any gels with me, but I had some water... lets go.

Splits went as follows
    (7:20) (7:22) (7:17) (7:59) (8:00) (7:47) (7:38) (8:12) (7:78) (7:58) (8:21) (7:59) (8:07) (8:03 for last 0.1M)

Finished in 1:42:47!! Three and a half minutes off. Finally cracked the sub 1:45, but only unofficially. I reckon if I had a bit more rest from last week's ultra and a gel handy, I would have shaved a bit more off. I'll keep an eye out for a half somewhere.

I'm hoping to do one speed session on Wednesday evening, then get myself ready for the West of Ireland Series race in Salthill on Saturday. Bit of a last minute thing, but some of us are doing it for Eddie.

13.1M in 1:42:47 (7:51 pace)

For a 3:29 marathon, Macmillan calculates a 1:39 Half. I'm sure under race conditions and a bit more planning and recovery, I'd do that for a half.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Great going, is 3:29 the goal for Dublin then?

See you on Saturday!

Great going, is 3:29 the goal for Dublin then?

See you on Saturday!

Shhhh.... Secretly, it is, dont tell anyone.......

I'm trying to keep my training in the bands MacMillan has for a sub 3:30 and get the body used to the paces. I've already gone under the calculated 10M time by a minute in Mallow, so just have to work on the PHMP and PMP from here on in. Only thing that will be holding me back is all the Ultra training and the condition of the legs after the Conn100, but thats up to me to prove the sceptics wrong. If the Longford Ultra is scrapped as well as Dingle, I have a better chance as I was planning on doing them both straight after Conn. Wouldnt have been doing them in a good time, but hoped to finish the 2011 Ultras in a big finale. Maybe its a good thing if they are both dropped.

I hope there's a good turn out of Tipp Jerseys on the Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Shhhh..., but thats up to me to prove the sceptics wrong.
    ;)

6.3M in Tymon with Menoscemo. Run was grand, but faster then recovery should have been but didnt cause any hassle on the legs.

I think I'll postpone the speed work tomorrow after yesterday's effort just to give myself a better chance to be 100% for the marathon in Galway on Saturday. Maybe just a few simple miles.

6.3M in 54:58 (8:40 pace)

Have to try to remember where I left my HRM....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

13.1M around the Dublin Half Marathon Route

After the recce being postponed yesterday, I feel like I didn't get a long enough run done this weekend. Hit the park after work to run the Half marathon route. Legs felt in great shape, so I thought I might have a bit of a time trial for the first 5k and then just take it easy for the last 10M. My best 5k time so far is 22:13 so I belted off down the road to try and clock a good 5k. The usual 0.1M on top of the first 3M to make up the 5k seemed to stretch out the whole run. Hit the 5k mark in 22:47 .. feck, missed it. Think I was holding back for the other 10M, now for a slow pace to finish off the other 10M

Eh.. don't think so, legs were all reved up and no place to go. I missed out on the 5k pb.. what about the half? I had two attempts of the half last year and only managed 1:46:19 at best in Dublin. didn't have any gels with me, but I had some water... lets go.

Splits went as follows
    (7:20) (7:22) (7:17) (7:59) (8:00) (7:47) (7:38) (8:12) (7:78) (7:58) (8:21) (7:59) (8:07) (8:03 for last 0.1M)

Finished in 1:42:47!! Three and a half minutes off. Finally cracked the sub 1:45, but only unofficially. I reckon if I had a bit more rest from last week's ultra and a gel handy, I would have shaved a bit more off. I'll keep an eye out for a half somewhere.

I'm hoping to do one speed session on Wednesday evening, then get myself ready for the West of Ireland Series race in Salthill on Saturday. Bit of a last minute thing, but some of us are doing it for Eddie.

13.1M in 1:42:47 (7:51 pace)

For a 3:29 marathon, Macmillan calculates a 1:39 Half. I'm sure under race conditions and a bit more planning and recovery, I'd do that for a half.
    Yeah 1.38 id say, dont forget the dublin half is not an easy half mate. Come down to wexford bud or even try the clontarf half.
    BTW what garmin are you using to calculate the above highlighted mile. A new model:p

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Yeah 1.38 id say, dont forget the dublin half is not an easy half mate. Come down to wexford bud or even try the clontarf half.
    BTW what garmin are you using to calculate the above highlighted mile. A new model:p

Well spotted. I think I was running so fast for that one, I confused the Garmin. should have been 7:58

It reminds me of Tommy Tiernan, I think it was. Said he did the marathon in something like 3 hours and 107 minutes. biggrin.gif

Think I'll be away for the Wexford half, but I'll see what date the Clontarf one is on.

7M Recovery

Gentle run in the Phoenix Park around the border trail. Took it easy to relax the legs for Saturday.

7M in 1:02 (8:56 pace)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

It reminds me of Tommy Tiernan, I think it was. Said he did the marathon in something like 3 hours and 107 minutes. biggrin.gif

:D Right, that will be my new line for my DCM disaster...3 Hours 93 minutes...;)

Rest day today. Well, not technically, just wont get time to fit a run in today, so will have to give it a miss.

Decided to change the name of the log (thanks Woddle) because as planned for over a year now, I have finally done the deed and signed up for my two biggie races today.

Plans for the coming months are as follows

23rd April - West of Ireland Series Marathon, Salthill, dedicated to Eddie
    1st May - Pacing for Limerick Marathon
    15th May - Pacing for Kildare Marathon
    6th June - Pacing for Cork Marathon
    18th June - Portumna 100K;)
    6th-10th July - 5 marathons in 5 days series, Sixmilebridge, Limerick
    13th August - Connemara 100 Mile;);)
    31st October - Dublin Marathon with a fingers crossed time of sub 3:30

Hoping to use Next month's pacing, Portumna and the 5 in 5 as training incentives in the build up to Conn100. Now I just have to start planning the logistics of crew for Conn etc for it on a shoestring budget. Going to be fun.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Best of luck with it, you've certainly got big plans! :)

I see you're from the 'I'll sleep when I'm dead crew'

Good luck with that monster of a year!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You are a complete lunatic :eek: (in the best possible way)

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

That's a set of big hairy audacious goals!

Best of luck, you're certainly aiming high but you know what I'm a great believer in setting hard goals because they are the only way that you improve!

Rest day today. Well, not technically, just wont get time to fit a run in today, so will have to give it a miss.

Change of plan, lunch arrangements fell through, Grabbed the gear and did an easy 4M on a warm sunny day. Was being teased watching loads people all along the canal, swiming and drinking beer. Feckers!!! I'll have to wait a bit longer to enjoy a couple of scoops.

4M in 36:29 (9:08 pace)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Decided to change the name of the log (thanks Woddle) because as planned for over a year now, I have finally done the deed and signed up for my two biggie races today.

Plans for the coming months are as follows

23rd April - West of Ireland Series Marathon, Salthill, dedicated to Eddie
    1st May - Pacing for Limerick Marathon
    15th May - Pacing for Kildare Marathon
    6th June - Pacing for Cork Marathon
    18th June - Portumna 100K;)
    6th-10th July - 5 marathons in 5 days series, Sixmilebridge, Limerick
    13th August - Connemara 100 Mile;);)
    31st October - Dublin Marathon with a fingers crossed time of sub 3:30

Hoping to use Next month's pacing, Portumna and the 5 in 5 as training incentives in the build up to Conn100. Now I just have to start planning the logistics of crew for Conn etc for it on a shoestring budget. Going to be fun.
    Ill be doing all the abov e races plus a few more maybe. Time to get the finger out eamonn.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

You be crazy:)

Super goals Eamonn. Mulling over heading down to Portumna myself and doing the not-an-ultra-ultra :) If you need any help with the crewing in Conn I might be able to help out.

After a somewhat surreal weekend, here's the catchup

Friday:
    No running, after the news about Eddie, I took a day to think of other things

Saturday:
    Still no running. Eddies had a beautiful send off on a perfect Spring day and there was a great representation from the running community and boards. Rest well Eddie.............

Sunday:
    Time to kick start start the legs ...
    3M in 23:46 (7:55 pace)

Monday .... Eddie's Marathon.
    With everyone al togs out in the Tipp jerseys, Eddie would be proud of us all.

223170_10150281663304478_706009477_9483534_4634940_n.jpg

I managed to make up a black armband to keep Eddie's memories with me throughout the race. Wasn't heading out to run for any face pace, just wanted to keep it under the 4h time.

Ray said a few words about Eddie and after a poignant and reflective silence, we all started on the first of four loops. It was great running along Salthill with all familiar faces and talking about Eddie. Kept the Jersey on for the whole race and even got the odd 'Come on Tipp' from the odd stroller on the promenade.

Timing was going well all the way, until mile 19 when the bottom almost fell out of my world... sorry, I meant the world almost fell out of my bottom. I personally blame Frank and Niall the night before filling me up with stories of portaloo stops over various races, but I have never had the inconvenience of been caught short on a run before. Pace dropped dramatically for the next two miles until I finally reached the next portaloo.
    While I was in the process of helping Salthill losing their Blue Flag Beach award, Menoscemo and HotToTrot passed by during my 5 min pitstop ( I would have given anything to have a Jenson Button Pitstop time today, to get me back on the road). By the time Dr. Who came out of the Turdis, pace had dramatically dropped to 9:15 pace and it took a while before the cramp pains before the pace picked up, so I just decided to enjoy the last couple of milee. I got a nice half marathon PB last Monday, and have a series of Pacing jobs in the next month, so just enjoy.

26.2M in 4:01:37 (9:14 pace)

While I had the cramps, I was wondering what caused it. Was it the Big feed the night before when Menoscemo and Oisin arrived? Was it the extra early start before the race? Did I accidently have one of Oisin's Pear Cider cans last night? But it may have been the salt tablet. the instructions is for one tablet in 500ml of water. In Connemara, I had half a tablet in 500ml, but today, I have a tablet in 250lm of water around the 16M mark. think that might be the culprit, but I'll have to try them a bit more over the next few training sessions.

Great after race get together in the Galway Bay with soup and sambos and a great chat with friends and comrades. the wat Eddie would want it.

Got a text from my sister who hear about Eddie's race on Rte radio news this morning. Eddie's spirit, character and determination reached out to more places and people then can be measures in just miles.

God Bless Eddie. Sleep well.

• Advertisement

Great post Eamonn, I noticed your armband as you finished and forgot to mention it. A really nice touch. I got a couple of 'come on Eddie' during my short jaunt, which was nice aswell.

I'm putting my problems down to the early start and an unusual pre-run routine. My stomach still hasn't settled though, so maybe it was something I ate yesterday. :confused: Was content with stopping my run but now I'm starting to think I probably stopped at the perfect time...though my last text from Eddie tells me 'enough of these negative vibes Moriarty! I'll bate you around the course at 9 min pace, no bother' so was feeling a tad guilty, but sure, twas all good fun today, and we all had smiles on our faces, and thats why we were there.

Great day out, shame about the circumstances that brought us all together. Would be nice to knock out a few more of these, I'll just have to finish them the next time. :)

Advertisement