Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry, I thought you said get faster before the 100th Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Yesterday was a bit of a non starter, planned some speed work around the track. After a warm up, got the first 800m in and then on the 2nd, I felt a cramp in my stomach that slowed me down quite quickly. After a brief rest, it eased and I lashed into a fast run again, only to have the cramp come back again. The wind was out of my sails at that point (figurativley) , so just did a few more laps slowly to clock up miles. Finished at 3.5M.

Today was a different matter.
    Havent done a medium length run mid week in a while. Headed out in the evening and half a mile into the run, the Garmin went dead on me! :mad: didnt even have the HR watch as back up, but I knew the time on the Garmin just as I started. Went off at a good pace from the start and felt comfortable. Before I knew it, I was day dreaming and running up Taney Road at a suprising good pace without realising. Crossed the Goatstown crossroads and shot up the hill towards the Spar at the top of Foster's avenue. I don't think I've ever run up that whole stretch of road from Dundrum in as good a pace and still feeling strong all the way. By the time I got round Clonskeagh to Dartry Road, I lashed up the hill there and overtook a few runners along the way. Right up until I finished, I felt great about the run in a lot of ways. The pace was not lightening, but still a fastish pace, but the main good factor of the whole run was that I did not tire at any part of the run, regardless of the hills, lashing rain, long lonely stretches that I usually slow down to get myself together, I ran strong, picked out targets and difficult spots and beat everything.

I only have two problems with today's run.

No. 1, My garmin was flat so I had no splits info to see where my best miles where, how I coped with the hills and how consistant was my pace for the run

No. 2 Tonight was one of those days where I felt I could have run for hours without falter, but I could do with it on Saturday Week. Hope my 'Feel Good' Race Day condition didnt peak too early.

Despite all that, Today goes down as a great day running. Jugding by my finish time when I restarted the garmin, the pace for the whole run worked out to be 8:39 according to MapMyRun when I plotted the route, but would have been handy to have the accurate info from the watch.

Opps, long write up and it wasnt even a race report. But sure it was a good session so worth talking about, especially after last night. :D

11.56M in 1:40 (8:39 pace) approx calculation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Aimman wrote: »
    :D

11.56M in 1:40 (8:39 pace) approx calculation

.56 isnt approxamite:D

ultraman1 wrote: »
    .56 isnt approxamite:D

Sorry, thats the engineering gene coming out in me. If I was still in college and I was writing this up in one of those Science Experiment Log Books, I'd have to list all the reasons why it would be approximate.

Anyway, we can discuss the definition of 'approximate' after I check the Garmin next weekend! :p

4M recovery taking in 6 x 100m intervals. Did the intervals across the diagonals of a football pitch. Found it hard to pick up speed, because the pitch was very slippy and muddy, could have done with spikes.

Distances were approx 115m lenghts with pace:
    (6:00) (6:32) (6:37) (6:00) (6:55) (6:15)

then a quick run back to the office

4.1M in total in 37:03 (9:03 pace)

Sitting in the bold corner for a while:mad:. Didn't go running on Friday and following an exceptionally late party night from Friday Night through Saturday morning, didn't fancy dragging my overfed inebriated a$$ out into the bright lights.

Sunday
    Set out for a begrudging 10M run at recovery pace, however, started enjoying myself, despite wandering down small country lanes and enjoying the scenery. Ended up in a cul de sac on the wrong side of the Shannon with no way of getting back, having to use my Garmin to navigate back to the house by taking a short cut across the bog tram lines. Ground wasnt the best and lost a bit of speed on the marshy ground. Once I got back to solid roads, opened it up comfortably for the last couple of miles at about 8:10 min miles to catch up on pace. Ended up doing more miles than I planned and felf good for the whole run.

12.7M in 2:02

• Advertisement

If I could have opening credits for today's entry, It would be the Simposn's one, with Bart stuck in school writing on the blackboard

I must learn to taper properly
    I must learn to taper properly

Went out at lunchtime for a gentle recovery run and struck up a comfortable pace straight away. After the first mile, my pace was at 7:47 so I decided to just hang in for a while and ease off if it was a bit much. It didnt happen. Ran the five miles in

(7:47) (7:55) (7:44) (7:49) (7:30)

Might have been faster overall if I didnt have to stop all the time to open and close those annoying pedestrian gates along the canal way.

Probably not the best time to enjoy a brisk 5 miler, in the week before a 50k, but enjoyed it and feel ready for another one, legs are happy. Going to take it easy for the next few days, short runs of no faster then 9 min miles. :o

5 miles in 38:46 (7:45 pace)

A nice easy going lunchtime run again along the Canal to Guinness and back

(8:34) (8:11) (8:27) (8:40) (8:23)

5M in 42:15 (8:27 pace)

Last few finishing touches in place for tomorrow.

Wednesday - 4M @ 9:15 pace at lunchtime

Thursday - 2.3M easy pace around Cork city. Didn't take advantage of the gym in the hotel, because I'd only be tempted to start using machines I wasn't doing regularly and end up with stiff muscles. Didn't fancy the treadmill either, so settled for running along the last stage of the Cork Marathon.

Not doing anything tonight, just going to relax and take best advantage of a good rest. Feeling in good form for the 50k tomorrow. Not going to commit to a time or pace till I see how the legs are in the morning. :D

Planned to head out at 8:30 pace and see how long I could keep it going.

Headed off with Menoscemo, Donothoponpop, and GoHard and ran comfortably for the first thirteen miles at an average of 8:33, although the others had gone headed earlier.

There were 10 laps and each lap was about 5k. on the 6th lap, i was starting to feel the strain of keeping a decent pace and as I passed the food station, RaccoonQueen jumped in and kept me company for the lap. It was just what I needed to get beyond the halfway mark.

I was tiring again though at lap 8 and the pace was waining. Legs weren't as frisky as I hoped, but now if was a matter of keep running on tired legs. Each time I came around to the food station, I was determined to keep going. I didn't want to stop short of the 50k, regardless of the time I was coming in. Got conscious of the cut off time during the last lap and upped the pace in the last couple of miles to get the lead out and finish strong. Got the last mile down to 9:17 and felt good again, bit late for 2nd wind, and was glad to get over the finish line. Was a good experiment to get an idea of starting pace for Connemara but I know that it wont be 8:30 anyway.

I did stop briefly at the food table most times around, but I don't think it made any major impact to the finishing time. I wouldn't have been much quicker if i kept going.

I brought along a large bottle of water with carb powder / honey and chia seeds and took a gulp as I went by. Brought 4 gels but only used 3. Had a banana and can of red bull at lap 8 for the wings.

50k in 4:53:30 (9:28 pace)

OK, the 50k is put to bed, time to move on and work on Connemara again

Nice little recovery run today, took it easy and kept a slow pace. Legs feeling in great condition, better then I was expecting after yesterday

5.2M in 51:19 (9:52 pace, Avg HR 133)

• Advertisement

Lunchtime run again today, 5 miles

(8:58) (8:34) (8:23) (8:03) (8:06)

Legs feeling good still.

5M in 42:03 (8:25 pace)

Monthly Miles - 218
    Miles this year - 410

Tuesday 1st March - 3.6M in 34:13 (9:24 pace)
    Speed work gone very wrong, ended up just running a few half hearted miles

Thursday 3rd March - 6.8M in 49:42 (8:46 pace)
    Clocked up a few miles in Tymon, met Menoscemo for the last lap

Friday 4th March - 5.5M in 43:04 (7:49 pace)
    Felt in great shape, so just started out quick and kept it going. Unfortunately, I didn't have auto lap set, so not sure if I managed to keep each mile under the 8 mins, but was an enjoyable run

Sunday 6th March 10.5M in 1:26:42 (8:15 pace)

Set out to keep sub 8 min miles again for a while. Had to slow down the pace for a while though after 6 miles, because I was running along bog tram tracks and the terrain was very bad. Picked up the pace again one I was on terra firma. Got a sharp pain in my right knee when I came off the tram tracks from all the uneven ground, but managed to massage it out before continuing
    Miles went - (8:05) (7:55) (7:50) (7:50) (7:38) (7:38) Hit the Bog trail > (9:12) (10:08) (10:45 for 0.3M) Back on the Road > (7:53) (7:44) (7:34 for last 0.2M)

Very happy with my pace for this run and especially how good I was feeling throughout with no sign of tiring or stress.

Think I got my Running MoJo back again!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Tuesday 1st March - 3.6M in 34:13 (9:24 pace)
    Speed work gone very wrong, ended up just running a few half hearted miles

Thursday 3rd March - 6.8M in 49:42 (8:46 pace)
    Clocked up a few miles in Tymon, met Menoscemo for the last lap

Friday 4th March - 5.5M in 43:04 (7:49 pace)
    Felt in great shape, so just started out quick and kept it going. Unfortunately, I didn't have auto lap set, so not sure if I managed to keep each mile under the 8 mins, but was an enjoyable run

Sunday 6th March 10.5M in 1:26:42 (8:15 pace)

Set out to keep sub 8 min miles again for a while. Had to slow down the pace for a while though after 6 miles, because I was running along bog tram tracks and the terrain was very bad. Picked up the pace again one I was on terra firma. Got a sharp pain in my right knee when I came off the tram tracks from all the uneven ground, but managed to massage it out before continuing
    Miles went - (8:05) (7:55) (7:50) (7:50) (7:38) (7:38) Hit the Bog trail > (9:12) (10:08) (10:45 for 0.3M) Back on the Road > (7:53) (7:44) (7:34 for last 0.2M)

Very happy with my pace for this run and especially how good I was feeling throughout with no sign of tiring or stress.

Think I got my Running MoJo back again!:D

Looks like you are going great guns!
    Fair play
    I try to run in Tymon whenever I can- hope to see you there some time!

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    Looks like you are going great guns!
    Fair play
    I try to run in Tymon whenever I can- hope to see you there some time!

Cheers W.B. Yeats, I'm there a couple of evenings during the week. Sometimes do some running with Menoscemo after work there too. Let me know what evening you're about and I'll try meet up.

Lunchtime Run 5M Recovery
    Should have been keeping to 9:00 - 9:30 recovery pace, but the legs were restless and couldn't keep the pace down. Felt great all the way out and back. running form felt good and relaxed, so just enjoyed it
    (8:46) (8:39) (8:30) (8:27) (8:18)
    Each mile was getting faster, so I wasnt really doing a good job at slowing it down.

5M in 42:37 (8:32 pace)

Evening Run 15M with some miles at PMP (8:00)
    After the 5 sub 8 miles on Friday and the 8 sub 8:00's yesterday, I headed off with the intention of stringing a few more today somewhere in the 15M. The first 7 miles were all sub 8 at which point I got to the Taney/Goatstown hills. Eased it off a little for the hills and managed to keep the first uphill mile under 9:00 then picked up the pace again going up Goatstown hill to Foster's Avenue. Kept a great pace wih no signs of tiring all the way and felt suprisingly strong and kept knocking out sub 8 miles. Splits went

(7:46) (7:57) (7:46) (7:55) (7:55) (7:52) (7:57) (8:59, taney & Goatstown hills) (7:44) (7:59) (7:53) (8:55 Dartry hill from Milltown)

By the time I got up Dartry Hill, I ran out of steam, mainly because I only had a bowl of porridge and banana for the whole day and had no drinks or gels with me. The tank was empty. But still, I was very happy with the run and how strong I felt all the way around. Dropped the pace for the last 3 miles and rounded it up to 15M

15M in 2:05 (8:20 pace) the last three miles slowed the overall pace down. First 12M might had a sub 8 average overall

20M today and delighted with the pace and ease of running in both runs. I'll sleep tonight :cool:

5.1M recovery at Lunchtime.

Legs were a bit tired after all yesterday but kept to a comfortable 9:10 pace.

5.1M in 46:42 (9:10)

5M run at lunchtiome along the canal again. Decided to keep sub 8 for each mile but running into headwind for the 1st half, took a bit of time to warm up, but opened it up on the way back.

(8:21) (8:32) (7:43) (7:10) (7:08) (hope the wind didnt contribute to the last two miles. :rolleyes:)

5M in 38:53 (7:47 pace)

Did I mention that I clocked a new 10M PB on Monday in my evening run???? 1:19:50 for the first 10 miles. Previous PB was the Frank Duffy 10M last year with 1:22:29. No, not a word? Ah well, never mind, its old news now anyway!!!!:D

4M Recovery Lunchtime Run.
    Tried to change the route a little, but ended up battling into the wind for 2 miles along the Canal. Wasn't fun. It was supposed to be a nice relaxing recovery.

4M in 37:36 (9:24 pace)

10M Evening Run. Sub 8 Test run.
    Planned to hammer out a few more Sub 8min miles this evening. Got into the stride of things fairly easily. Lost a bit of time at the end up Dartry hill into Rathgar and then got very thirsty at Rathgar crossroads with salty lips etc. Thought that was enough for the day, then I got my second wind and went like the clappers. Hit the 10M mark at 1:18:31, broke the 10M PB a second time this week, AND in training AND in good condition afterwards. Jogged out another mile after it to bring todays total to a round 15M. I'll have to start looking around for a 10M to see what I could knock out in a race. Did someone say Mallow??? :D

Splits went as (7:53) (7:44) (7:26) (7:28) (7:48) (7:49) (7:46) (8:25 Dartry Hill) (8:14) (7:55)

10M in 1:18:31 (7:51 pace) and a 1M Warm down Jog

15M in total for the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

You are in flying form for Conn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Did someone say Mallow??? :D

Yes :pac: hope you make it down.

I might have to chop your leg off during that 30 miler on saturday. Eiher that or you're gonna pass me in that 30 mile challenge.

• Advertisement

You are in flying form for Conn.

Cheers, its all suddenly pick up in the last week. I went from forcing out a 9 min/mile to running sub 8 min miles with ease. I dont think it will help increase my pace significantly on the da for Conn over the 40M cos it happened so quickly and I'll be tapering soon, but it's giving me a lot of confidence that I'll be able to maintain a decent pace for longer. Getting the body used to just banging out the sub 8s this week is getting me used to the pace with no stress on the body. It should set me up for knocking out a sub 3:30 later in the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Cheers, its all suddenly pick up in the last week. I went from forcing out a 9 min/mile to running sub 8 min miles with ease. I dont think it will help increase my pace significantly on the da for Conn over the 40M cos it happened so quickly and I'll be tapering soon, but it's giving me a lot of confidence that I'll be able to maintain a decent pace for longer. Getting the body used to just banging out the sub 8s this week is getting me used to the pace with no stress on the body. It should set me up for knocking out a sub 3:30 later in the year.

So the question is are you gonna head out like a madman in Conn? :D

menoscemo wrote: »
    So the question is are you gonna head out like a madman in Conn? :D

You know me too well. :rolleyes: I'll have to install a speed limiter for the first 20 miles.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/72611046

Met up with Menoscemo, Wally Runs and a friend of his doing Conn. Started off in Howth and kept the miles to about 10min miles which was feeling very easy to start off with. Very little wind and no sign of rain. Conditions were good.

Wally Runs gave us a great tour of Dublin, with a few history and geography lessons and some Celebrity House Spotting, which helped to pass the time.

Heading out to the Bull wall (11 miles) I took my first Gel but didnt use any more after that. Pace was in and around 10 min for the majority of the run. By mile 20 at Sandycove, I topped up the waterbottles and had an energy bar. Pace was still nice and easy.

Coming into Dalkey aroun the 23 mile mark, I had a Rice Krispe bar and red bull which kicked in nicely just before the Killiney Hill and I lashed up it right to the top and had a nice canter don the other side.

Stephan gave a big cheer when we passed the 26.2 mile mark and he was now in Ultra territory. Coming into Shankil, there was only a couple of miles left and I still had a bit of energy in the tank and started to pull off to have a strong finish. 2nd last mile was a 9:30 pace and then I let rip to knock out a 7:58 mile at the end and still felt good after it all.

Many thanks to Wally Runs for dropping into Amphibian King and picking up some well needed protien bars and for his OH for the Chocolate Milk. It was a great experience and definitely more enjoyable with company over such a long distance. We did make a few stops for supplies and toilet breaks along the way, but at the end of the day, I covered the 30M in 4:55. Was a great day, and now off to have a few beers as a reward.

30M in 4:55 (9:50 pace)

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

great running Aimman... Fair play to ye... it must feel nice to have a 30 miles up...Enjoy ur few pints tonight if ur up to it :D

liamo123 wrote: »
    great running Aimman... Fair play to ye... it must feel nice to have a 30 miles up...Enjoy ur few pints tonight if ur up to it :D

Dont worry, I'll be able to cope, it was the thoughts of it that kept me going all the way. Its my reward for the sprint finish.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Sick i couldnt do this but ah well. I wont get 30 again before conn but i did 24 during the week and plan something similar next week. Cant wait for conn now.
    2 questions eamonn, whats your pace for conn?
    Are you doing the 5in5 in sixmilebridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

That's serious running there!

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    2 questions eamonn, whats your pace for conn?
    Are you doing the 5in5 in sixmilebridge?

All things going well, I'll start off at 9min miles for the first 26.2M and try to keep the pace under 9:30 for the last 13.1M. Hoping to get in under 6:15

I'm interested in the 5in5, but it depends on the cost including 5 days in limerick etc. If I can manage it, I'll do it. Would be good training for the Conn100 i think.

• Advertisement

5M Recovery

Left it too late in the day to get out for a run. Had a belly full of dinner which kept jangling about all the way round. Legs felt good though, no niggle or worries from yesterday. Highest week's milage before Conn.

Miles this week 80M
    Year to Date 515M

Advertisement