Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Improvers / Sub 3:30 Thread

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭plodder

Gone ok for me. My speed training never worked out that well, but I was happy enough with the longer runs. Injury niggles have stayed as niggles, and look like they might be ok over the next couple of weeks. After the euphoria of the PB at the half marathon, I was thinking of upping the pace a bit, but with a cooler head now, I realise I'll be doing well (and will be over the moon) to beat 3:30. So, I'll be aiming at 8m/m pace on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

I've been following the 12wk 55M schedule and my training has gone pretty ok all things considered. I started in August from practically no base having done Limerick (3:56) in May, an Olympic Tri in June and 'rested' in July. While I did all the inital runs, I wasn't able to do the PMP pace and even my LT runs weren't quick enough. I was pushing myself just to get the weekly mileage up. I did another Tri in Sept so I missed a few runs around then but have got back on schedule and just recently managed to get the sustained tempo for the LT runs. I got my 10k PB down to 43:47. I've swopped the recent VO2max sessions for LT ones as I feel they'll have more benefit to me at this stage and I'm generally happy with them and I get the tempo part down to 7:15 for 4M. I did my second 20M on Sunday and it went fine with the first 15M at 8:55/M and the last 5M at 8:30/M. However I don't feel I've done near enough to get sub 3:30 so I'm probably going to aim for sub 3:40. My biggest concern is getting the pace wrong and blowing up early as has happened every time previously. So I'm hoping to just hold it together and be able to run it all in a controlled manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Training has gone well - probably better than I expected. Going to try for 3.15 if the pace is there on the day, but won't be unhappy with anything below 3.30.

Best of luck chaps. The weather's shaping up to being not too bad. So, here's to a few pints in McGrattan's not too long after 12:30 on Monday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭TakeaBowSon

So how did everyone get on?

I hit 3.25 which was way better than I expected. The difference a consistent years training makes.

Thumbs up for the P&D from me anyway!

Now for a 3.15 marathon...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

I came home in 3:42 and was actually delighted as I ran it all quite comfortably. I'm in the 'Improver' category rather than the 'Sub 3:30' group but I'm very happy with that as its a fair reflection on my effort. I enjoyed it all and didn't bomb so that was a nice experience for a change. Happy days :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Definately a thumbs up from P&D for me. I finished in 3:32, not really disappointed to miss the target. I was sick at the start of the race, but felt as strong as an Ox at the end. It's not like I went out at 3:30 and broke down in the last few miles- i finished faster than i started and with a smile on my face!

3:27:27 for me, which I am very pleased with. As various people have said, marathons are (at best) an honest reflection of the work you've put in. They can go badly wrong, but nobody ever really does vastly better than they honestly could expect. All my previous ones were on half the weekly mileage I put into this one. So, my 25 minute improvement was a fair return for the extra training as far as I'm concerned. My only disappointment, was slowing considerably for the last 6 miles, as I started out at 3:25 pace. But, like I just said, going just sub 3:30 was what I deserved, and that's what I got :pac:

Advertisement