Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Improvers / Sub 3:30 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭cphowlin

Cheers for the advice Krusty,

Do you think it would be better to maybe do only every second imra race so that i can still do some of the planned sessions?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

cphowlin wrote: »
    Cheers for the advice Krusty,

Do you think it would be better to maybe do only every second imra race so that i can still do some of the planned sessions?
    That's really up to yourself, but the Leinster League is already almost half way through (well, 5/13 done), and it finishes in early July,so it's not too bad. Best to just play it by ear. The races themselves are great training, but if you find that it's costing you several days of training, then maybe ease back?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭cphowlin

That's really up to yourself, but the Leinster League is already almost half way through (well, 5/13 done), and it finishes in early July,so it's not too bad. Best to just play it by ear. The races themselves are great training, but if you find that it's costing you several days of training, then maybe ease back?

Sure i'll give them a shot and see how it goes.
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Week Commencing Mon 17/5/10.
    5 weeks to start of P+D 18 week Schedule

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This week|Weekly Target|Comments
    RedB|2|16|30|7,9M. Not used to such distances mid-wk. Better get used to them:rolleyes:|
    menoscemo|||||
    pgmcpq|||||
    Effin Runner|||||
    woddle|||||
    paulmcd1973|||||
    nomadic|||||
    Plodder|||||

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RedB wrote: »
    Week Commencing Mon 17/5/10.
    5 weeks to start of P+D 18 week Schedule

RedB|2|16|30|7,9M. Not used to such distances mid-wk. Better get used to them:rolleyes:|
    menoscemo|||||
    pgmcpq|||||
    Effin Runner|||||
    woddle|||||
    paulmcd1973|||||
    nomadic|||||
    Plodder|||||

You're not finished for the week already are you?
    I got a nice 8.7 miler done on tuesday and aiming for a 13-14 miler at the weekend. I am basically trying to follow something similar to the first few weeks of the P&D programme from now. I will be looking to Jump into week 3 of the programme on 21st June instead of week 1 as i am off to the states for two weeks at the start of August and will only be doing 'maintenance' miles over there.

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    You're not finished for the week already are you?
    I got a nice 8.7 miler done on tuesday and aiming for a 13-14 miler at the weekend. I am basically trying to follow something similar to the first few weeks of the P&D programme from now. I will be looking to Jump into week 3 of the programme on 21st June instead of week 1 as i am off to the states for two weeks at the start of August and will only be doing 'maintenance' miles over there.

No, not finished for the week :) - just putting the table up to keep the thread bumped to the front page and 'encourage' others to post or join in ;).
    Good plan for factoring in the holidays :cool:. I hadn't thought about that even though Krusty mentioned having a bit of 'float' in his plan. I must consider how that'll work out for me.

RedB wrote: »
    No, not finished for the week :) - just putting the table up to keep the thread bumped to the front page and 'encourage' others to post or join in ;).
    Good plan for factoring in the holidays :cool:. I hadn't thought about that even though Krusty mentioned having a bit of 'float' in his plan. I must consider how that'll work out for me.

Yeah, I started 4 weeks early last year to allow for a 3 week holiday plus an extra week for unforeseen circumstances, and i needed every week of it!! I am actually feeling really positive. I have been covering 30-40 miles a week for the last two months and doing tough midweek seesions (semi,long runs with pace miles added) in anticipation of the programme starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

I'm an improver too, wasn't really involved in the beginner thread last year but got great motivation from it! Not sure I'll be able for the P&D schedule, might end up sticking to Higdon for another race... All depends on how Cork goes I guess. Just said I'd stick my head in here and say count me in too :)

menoscemo|5|36|39|Had to cut LSR 3 miles short due to heat exhaustion|
    pgmcpq|||||
    Effin Runner|||||
    woddle|||||
    paulmcd1973|||||
    nomadic|||||
    Plodder|||||

Bought the p&d book today. Also bought a box of the gels I liked last year, really getting geared up to starting the programme. The marathon buzz is beginning again :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I have copies of the 18 week 70 mile plan, 18 week 55 mile plan and the 24 week 55 mile plan downloaded from the old road to boston site, I can email them to people if they want to pm me their email address. Might give you a good insight into the plan before you go out and buy the book(for those who haven't already bought).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,147 ✭✭✭plodder

pgmcpq|||||
    Effin Runner|||||
    woddle|||||
    paulmcd1973|||||
    nomadic|||||
    Plodder|4|35|36|Did first week of P&D. Only 4 runs, but a lot more intensive than what I've been doing |

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

pgmcpq|5|42|40| HM race 1:32|
    Effin Runner|||||
    woddle|||||
    paulmcd1973|||||
    nomadic|||||
    Plodder|4|35|36|Did first week of P&D. Only 4 runs, but a lot more intensive than what I've been doing |

For once I think I had the better training conditions this week !

P&D AM arrived this week - so my plan is to start following it in next week. Thinking of extending it to a 21 week plan by splitting a couple a weeks in order to slide in a few race/recovery days. Also thinking about trying the 55-70 mpw plan but scaling back the mileage as needed .... might not be realistic given the time involved. Quite surprised by how much speedwork is included.
    Ordered a Garmin 305. Never used a HRM before but I'm beginning to see how it is used.

Couple of questions ...
    Q1: When it talks about e.g. 5 miles recovery pace with 6*100 strides ...are the strides run in the middle or at the end of the 5 miles (or 4 miles) ?
    Q2: Trying to get a handle on the right pace for these runs. The General Aeorbic runs - is this the same as McMillan's easy run pace - or is McM not a good guideline here ?

pgmcpq wrote: »

Couple of questions ...
    Q1: When it talks about e.g. 5 miles recovery pace with 6*100 strides ...are the strides run in the middle or at the end of the 5 miles (or 4 miles) ?
    Q2: Trying to get a handle on the right pace for these runs. The General Aeorbic runs - is this the same as McMillan's easy run pace - or is McM not a good guideline here ?

Q1: We discussed this at length last year and we never actually came to an agreement about which is best, ultimately I suppose it's up to you, whichever suits YOU best. Both options have their advantages over the other.
    Q2: Go to page 141

Q1: We discussed this at length last year and we never actually came to an agreement about which is best, ultimately I suppose it's up to you, whichever suits YOU best. Both options have their advantages over the other.
    Q2: Go to page 141

Sorry last year is before my time here, if I'm rehashing old stuff - just point in me in the right direction - was in on the 3:30 thread last year ?
    Q2: Yes ... I read this bit but it seemed a bit odd. Just to confirm ...at 15-25% slower than PMP this would actually be a little slower than LSR pace if I read this correctly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

For the strides, I used to do them during the run, and I never bothered to measure 100m, instead I would wait till I was warmed up (2 miles+),and every half mile pick up the pace for 20 x 4 strides (80 strides), which would be approximately 100m. Waiting until the end and measuring them out just seemed like too much grief.

Woddle's suggestion was to do a set of strides at every mile lap on the Garmin, and just run them until the watch shows x.065, which is approximately 100m, which works equally well.

What RQ was suggesting was that consensus was never reached, as to when to perform the strides. You should be warmed up, and fully recovered from any other strides before performing a subsequent stride. One of the key factors is running form. You should be concentrating on your running form to ensure that your posture etc is as good as it can be.

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Sorry last year is before my time here, if I'm rehashing old stuff - just point in me in the right direction - was in on the 3:30 thread last year ?
    Q2: Yes ... I read this bit but it seemed a bit odd. Just to confirm ...at 15-25% slower than PMP this would actually be a little slower than LSR pace if I read this correctly ?

Can't help you with question two as I don't really follow mcmillan much myself. As for 1 I wasn't being sarcy or anything, sorry if I came across that way. Personally I prefer to do the strides at the end of my run - I think it's beneficial to do them on tired legs.

The P&D website also has a lot of resources, not sure if it'll be what you're looking for but the website is HERE

For the strides, I used to do them during the run, and I never bothered to measure 100m, instead I would wait till I was warmed up (2 miles+),and every half mile pick up the pace for 20 x 4 strides (80 strides), which would be approximately 100m. Waiting until the end and measuring them out just seemed like too much grief.

Woddle's suggestion was to do a set of strides at every mile lap on the Garmin, and just run them until the watch shows x.065, which is approximately 100m, which works equally well.

What RQ was suggesting was that consensus was never reached, as to when to perform the strides. You should be warmed up, and fully recovered from any other strides before performing a subsequent stride. One of the key factors is running form. You should be concentrating on your running form to ensure that your posture etc is as good as it can be.

Can't help you with question two as I don't really follow mcmillan much myself. As for 1 I wasn't being sarcy or anything, sorry if I came across that way. Personally I prefer to do the strides at the end of my run - I think it's beneficial to do them on tired legs.

The P&D website also has a lot of resources, not sure if it'll be what you're looking for but the website is HERE

Thanks guys. I'll do a bit of digging at the website. I use McM just to get a clue on pacing rather than for the plans - since I really have no "feel" for pace at all.

Here's a thread from last year http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055600204&highlight=strides tergat posted in it so it's probably the best info you'll get on this site. :)

Amadeus put up a thread about this during the wek and Tergat suggested running the 100m strides at 5k pace and just concentrate on good running form. It is best to do them at the end of the run when you are tired, the idea being to teach yourself to keep good form when tired.

Edit congrats on that HM time!! That is a dream time for me (maybe next year)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

pgmcpq|5|42|40| HM race 1:32|
    Effin Runner|||||
    woddle|||||
    paulmcd1973|||||
    nomadic|3|19||Missed my planned LSR yesterday thanks to some junkies|

• Advertisement

Week Commencing Mon 24/5/10.
    4 weeks to start of P+D 18 week Schedule

(Update during the week if you feel like it or at the end of the week if you prefer)
    RedB|1|15.75M|30|Ran with HunnyMonster Mon eve doing her Malin2Mizen run. LSR|
    menoscemo|||||
    pgmcpq|||||
    Effin Runner|||||
    woddle|||||
    paulmcd1973|||||
    nomadic|||||
    Plodder|||||

(Update during the week if you feel like it or at the end of the week if you prefer)
    menoscemo|6|38||5k PB 20:14|
    pgmcpq|||||
    Effin Runner|||||
    woddle|||||
    paulmcd1973|||||
    nomadic|||||
    Plodder|||||

Strange week, got a great speed session and an LSR in early in the week then injured myself cross training (playing football) on thursday. I couldn't even walk on thursday but somehow recovered by saturday to take 40 seconds of my 5k PB. I had to throw in an extra run today to make up for miles missed due to the injury.

pgmcpq|||||
    Effin Runner|||||
    woddle|||||
    paulmcd1973|||||
    nomadic|||||
    Plodder|4|36|36|same as last week more or less|

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

pgmcpq|||||
    Effin Runner|||||
    woddle|||||
    paulmcd1973|||||
    nomadic|3|32||2 LSR's, 1 tempo|

menoscemo wrote: »
    Edit congrats on that HM time!! That is a dream time for me (maybe next year)

Thanks - I would have said the same less than six months ago but it's amazing what a forgiving course can do. I would not say no to that 5k time you just posted !

Bad week for running. Picked up some thing which initially looked like just a head cold but has proved incredibly persistant. Cut back mileage before a 10k today but with no noticable improvement :mad:. Four races in the last month has got me to the point where I hope to begin to focusing on Dublin this week.

pgmcpq|4|28|40| Wretched week - battling persistant head cold/virus|
    Effin Runner|||||
    woddle|||||
    paulmcd1973|||||
    nomadic|3|32||2 LSR's, 1 tempo|

Week Commencing Mon 31/5/10.
    3 weeks to start of P+D 18 week Schedule

RedB|||||
    menoscemo|4|33|33|Starting the plan 3 weeks early. Week 1 done, quite easy:D|
    pgmcpq|||| |
    Effin Runner|||||
    paulmcd1973|||||
    nomadic|||||
    Plodder|||||

Bump. Just finished of week 1 of the programme. Not too bad at all. Starting 3 weeks early due to a 2 week holiday at the start of august.

RedB|||||
    pgmcpq|||| |
    Effin Runner|||||
    paulmcd1973|||||
    nomadic|||||
    Plodder|4|36|37|same again ... see below|

Question. Just wondering about starting the plan early and taking a week off in the middle. How much running would you have to do in the off week, to stay "with it"?

Also, say you get to the middle of September and it turns out you're not taking a week off, which week in the program would you repeat? Any opinions?

RedB|||||
    pgmcpq|6|51|48| 10k race 42:50 :confused:, starting to feel better |
    Effin Runner|||||
    paulmcd1973|||||
    nomadic|||||
    Plodder|4|36|37|same again ... see below|

Week Commencing Mon 7/6/10.

RedB|||||
    menoscemo|||||
    pgmcpq|6|55|55| LSR 16 w/8 PMP - tough ! |
    Effin Runner|||||
    paulmcd1973|||||
    nomadic|||||
    Plodder|||||

Oddly I seem to have lost ability to format tables (Edit: ok now it works!)... but I'd like to rescue this thread before it vanishes into the void

• Advertisement

Week Commencing Mon 7/6/10.

RedB|||||
    menoscemo|4|35|36| ok|
    pgmcpq|6|55|55| LSR 16 w/8 PMP - tough ! |
    Effin Runner|||||
    paulmcd1973|||||
    nomadic|||||
    Plodder|||||

Did a leg of the cork Marathon relay so that knocked one of my 8 miles runs on the head. Thankfully the programme is back to 5 runs this week, I was finding the 4 runs per week a little short. I am into week 3 of the 55mpw programmes, nice to be progressing to 40 mile weeks.

Advertisement