Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Improvers / Sub 3:30 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Forgive me if its in this thread somewhere, in lazy:-). What sorts of times are you guys going for? Anywhere from 3-3.30?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Forgive me if its in this thread somewhere, in lazy:-). What sorts of times are you guys going for? Anywhere from 3-3.30?

Personally I'm an 'Improver' somewhere around 3:30 would be great for me, but more imprtantly I just want to run well and not blow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,147 ✭✭✭plodder

I'd be aiming to just get under 3:30 as well. That would be a fairly significant improvement for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

3:30 is my BQ (which I had hoped to have wrapped up by now *sigh* ).
    So expecting a PB, loosely targetting < 3:30 ... hoping for ( training for ) 3:20, dreaming for 3:15 ... but don't want to get too focused on target time on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Thanks for the replys:-)
    3.30 was a time getting passed. When i did i went through it by a good bit. Good bit of advise i took to heart was train for a quicker time so 3.30 is easier on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Week Commencing Mon 7/6/10.
    3 weeks to start of P+D 18 week Schedule

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This week|Weekly Target|Comments
    RedB|||||
    menoscemo|4|35|36| ok|
    pgmcpq|6|55|55| LSR 16 w/8 PMP - tough ! |
    Effin Runner|||||
    paulmcd1973|||||
    Plodder|||||

I'm going to bail out of this lads. Something else has come up and the marathon won't be happening this year. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Week Ending Sun 13/6/10.
    3 weeks to start of P+D 18 week Schedule

RedB|2|22|30|:o Tri crosstraining a lot instead with a Tri race coming up. 13.1M LSR. I will be off track for the next few weeks :(.|
    menoscemo|4|35|36| ok|
    pgmcpq|6|55|55| LSR 16 w/8 PMP - tough ! |
    Effin Runner|||||
    paulmcd1973|||||
    Plodder|||||

Having the table as a record of the week just finished might be the way to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 paulmcd1973

Having a disaster updating the table. Finally shook off a cold and some niggling injuries. Was able to do a few sessions this week, 4 sessions, 22 miles. Starting off P&D on Tuesday with a 9 miler.

Any advice on how to update the table? Even the basic tutorials aren't helping me, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055721080

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Easiest way is to copy the previous table, take out quote codes, copy and paste a line and put it just under the last line and change the data to what ever you want. Once you have done this your name will be there so just quote it when ever and change the figures

Week Ending Sun 20/6/10.
    1 weeks to start of P+D 18 week Schedule

RedB|||||
    menoscemo|||||
    pgmcpq|6|59|58| 16m is now a strain ?:( |
    Effin Runner|||||
    paulmcd1973|||||
    Plodder|||||

Not sure what is going on but having started a little early I am suddenly finding myself feeling the strain earlier in the LSR. Hopefully this is the expected effect of the mid-week work ... still I expect a 16 LSR miles to be pretty comfortable. On the brighter side I've managed three weeks of P&D and am still standing!

• Advertisement

Week Ending Sun 20/6/10.
    1 weeks to start of P+D 18 week Schedule

RedB|||||
    menoscemo|5|39|40||
    Effin Runner|||||
    paulmcd1973|||||
    Plodder|||||

Week 3 of P&D programme down. 14 m LSR went well though I messed up the LT run. I think the heat and the long midweek runs can make some session tough.

Having a disaster updating the table. Finally shook off a cold and some niggling injuries. Was able to do a few sessions this week, 4 sessions, 22 miles. Starting off P&D on Tuesday with a 9 miler.

Any advice on how to update the table? Even the basic tutorials aren't helping me, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055721080

Strangely the table often seems to look like plain text in the preview. I'd say update the thread, view the thread, refresh the browser. Worse case the table gets messed up - and we fix it and I don't worry to much about it.

Week Ending Sun 20/6/10.
    0 weeks to start of P+D 18 week Schedule

RedB|||||
    menoscemo|5|39|40||
    Effin Runner|||||
    paulmcd1973|4|22|NA|Did 8 miles this evening instead of 9, didn't plan my route correctly and ended back at my house sooner than expected. I'm missing the bad summer weather from last year so was kinda happy to finish at 8.|
    Plodder|||||

I think it was the preview that was throwing me off. Thanks for the advice, here's hoping this one works.

Week Ending Sun 20/6/10.
    0 weeks to start of P+D 18 week Schedule

RedB|||||
    menoscemo|5|39|40||
    Effin Runner|||||
    paulmcd1973|4|22|NA|Did 8 miles this evening instead of 9, didn't plan my route correctly and ended back at my house sooner than expected. I'm missing the bad summer weather from last year so was kinda happy to finish at 8.|
    Plodder|4|33||Did two long runs, but missed tempo due to injury concern|

Week before 18 week plan starts, and a little knee niggle appears. Wonderful! :( Seeing sports therapist about it, so hopefully it won't develop. Tempo run last night seemed to be ok, so fingers crossed.

There is something funny with the preview button. It's not formatting the table. So you won't know it's messed up until you press Submit.

Just wondering what people on this thread do for their cross training days. For myself, I cycle in and out of work (11km each way). I quite enjoy the spin but then again I don't exactly kill myself, takes about 35-40 minutes, although I have the occasional 4 year old as a passenger which adds a bit to the journey.

Wondering how many out there do similar or does swimming, football and other sports feature more prominently. From the more experiencing marathoners, any advice on how much cross training should be done?

I have to be honest, I don't do much. With 5 runs a week, there are only two rest days and one is normally spent resting a hangover.

That said I will be getting a bit of golf in over the summer and I have just bought a swiss ball mat and foam roller so hope to be getting in a good bit of core work and stretching to supplement the running.

Love football but had to give it up as I always seem to get injured playing it nowadays.

J From the more experiencing marathoners, any advice on how much cross training should be done?

I don't meet the criteria ( experienced marathoner ) but the P&D book (p112) suggests cycling : in an easy enough gear to keep up leg turnover (followed by a short walk/run/stretch; water running, swimming : in-line skating :eek:, rowing (although they warn about doing this with poor technique), cross country skiing, elliptical machines.
    There's also a chapter devoted to flexibility and core training.

Personally I do some work on a bike (usually stationary), and elliptical - since they are convenient for me - if I feel energetic .... but as menoscemo has said as the mileage goes up the cross training goes down. However the core work I do pretty consistantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I always found a swim on a Monday to be fab for helping with recovery after the long runs. You don't even need to work too hard. Just make sure it's something non-load bearing.

Football sounds a bit risky to me as cross training for running. At the moment, I'm not doing anything on the rest days. Would like to give swimming a go, but used to go to gym and use rower, some light weights and long stretching routine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

First week done and dusted - my week consisted of;

Monday - Gym. Weights and swimming.
    Tuesday - Lazy. Some light jogging and sprinting in the park with the dogs.
    Wednesday - 9 miles at 8:50 pace. Average time upped because I forgot to stop my watch when I got home. Miles were very erratically paced though ranging from 8:16 to 9:11. Had to drag myself out for this one. Work has been really heavy lately so I'm shattered come 3pm - long before I even get to go home let alone train.
    Thursday - 4 miles @ 8:30 pace.
    Friday - Gym. 25 - 30 lengths of a 33m pool.
    Saturday - 7.14 miles very slowly trying to just ease into pacing pace for today and tire the legs out a bit. Done at 8:59 pace. Miles 3,4 and 5 the fastest of the night though.
    Sunday - Pacing the 2hr group in the Enniscorthy half marathon. So 13.1 miles @ 9:06 pace.

Light start with no real fast paced runs. Was supposed to do an 8 miler on Tuesday with 4 miles at hmp but weekday speed sessions are unlikely at the moment given how busy work is.

33.24 miles in total. Big improvement on recent weeks.

Gym tomorrow for another swim then back to running, properly hopefully on Tuesday.

• Advertisement

Week Ending Sun 27/6/10.
    17 weeks to start of DCM

RedB|||||
    menoscemo|||||
    pgmcpq|||||
    Effin Runner|||||
    paulmcd1973|4|32|33|Didn't feel great on the LSR today, so finished a mile early, 11 instead of 12. I'm putting it down to a Tesco sports drink.|
    Plodder|||||

Stuck mostly to the P&D plan for the week.
    Monday - cycled in and out of work (22km)
    Tuesday - 8 mile run
    Wednesday - cycled
    Thursday - 9 mile run
    Friday - cycled
    Saturday - 4 mile run
    Sunday - 11 mile LSR around Phoenix Park.

Week Ending Sun 27/6/10.
    17 weeks to start of DCM

RedB|||||
    menoscemo|5|43|42| HM PB 1:37|
    pgmcpq|||||
    Effin Runner|||||
    paulmcd1973|4|32|33|Didn't feel great on the LSR today, so finished a mile early, 11 instead of 12. I'm putting it down to a Tesco sports drink.|
    Plodder|||||

week 4 of plan done and dusted

Congrats menoscemo on the PB for the half. My current PB is 1:43.29, although I possibly went faster during DCM 09 before I blew up. McMillan has you at 3:24 for the Marathon, so you're definitely on track.

Week Ending Sun 27/6/10.
    17 weeks to start of DCM

RedB|||||
    pgmcpq|||||
    Effin Runner|||||
    Plodder|5|42||2 long runs, 1 tempo, 2 easy. Slightly ahead of plan, but that won't be for long|

Week Ending Sun 27/6/10.
    17 weeks to start of DCM

RedB|||||
    pgmcpq|6|62|62| Good week |
    Effin Runner|||||
    Plodder|5|42||2 long runs, 1 tempo, 2 easy. Slightly ahead of plan, but that won't be for long|

menoscemo wrote: »
    menoscemo| HM PB 1:37

Nice one !

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Week Ending Sun 27/6/10.
    17 weeks to start of DCM

RedB|||||
    pgmcpq|6|62|62| Good week |
    62 miles! Nice one too!

[edit] Actually. Don't worry about it. Was able to get the pages off amazon.com

Week Ending Sun 4/7/10.
    16 weeks to start of DCM

RedB|||||
    menoscemo|||||
    pgmcpq|6|55|54| 4m race 28:22 :( |
    Effin Runner|||||
    paulmcd1973|||||
    Plodder|||||

Race time was a bit disappointing. I'm hoping it was a combination of 16 miles on the Friday and/or misjudging pace/distance on the day. The result itself throws some doubt on my goals for Dublin. There's a 5k coming up which has a very cramped and crowded start that I will now try to race seriously to see if this was kust one of those days. Rest of the week was fine.

• Advertisement

According to McMillan, 28:22 for 4 miles is in the ballpark for a sub 3:30 marathon (or only 10 seconds faster would be ;) ). And if you ran 16 miles one or two days beforehand, I certainly wouldn't worry about it.

Advertisement