Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Improvers / Sub 3:30 Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This week|Weekly Target|Comments
    RedB|||||
    menoscemo|||||
    pgmcpq|||||
    Effin Runner|||||
    woddle|||||

Great idea redb, I'll join yous for this, the more the merrier, I've organised a small group for Sunday long runs, they probably won't start for a few more weeks but yous would be all welcome, myself and menoscemo will hopefully stick together for longer intervals in marlay (I hope) so again all welcome.
    I've ran 3'37 but that was back in 08 and since then I've watched alot of friends go faster, I'm in pretty poor shape but I'm up for the challenge.
    Oh and DM is 24 weeks from this week so I've already started Pfitzinger 24 weeks 55 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 paulmcd1973

RedB|||||
    menoscemo|||||
    pgmcpq|||||
    Effin Runner|||||
    woddle|||||
    paulmcd1973|||||

And add me to the list also. I'm going to get the P&D book and try to follow their 18 week guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

I have a quick question and this seems the best place to ask. I have no marathon experience but have a couple of halfs and 10 milers under the belt. Would the P& D book be too advanced for a first marathon. Planning on running DCM and aiming for something in the 3:3x range. Have a half best of 1:46 in Connemara and a 10 mile best of 1:15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

BrokenMan wrote: »
    I have a quick question and this seems the best place to ask. I have no marathon experience but have a couple of halfs and 10 milers under the belt. Would the P& D book be too advanced for a first marathon. Planning on running DCM and aiming for something in the 3:3x range. Have a half best of 1:46 in Connemara and a 10 mile best of 1:15.

It really depends on your training background. The P&D plans are fairly mileage heavy and have some tough speedwork in them. If your background training in halves included 30+ miles and a speedwork session per week then by all means go for P&D, if not then maybe an Intermediate Higdon plan?

Thansk --amadeus-- trainig for Connemara peaked at around 35 and was runnign tempo or intervals each week. Think I will buy the book and have a read and decide between it and a Higdon Intermediate. Might even look at mixing them up a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

£10.48 delivered from bookdepository.co.uk Thats a really good site actually, cheapest books around and an excellent service: http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9780736074605/Advanced-Marathoning

Best of luck with the goals and the log.

thanks for tip, misty.
    i just ordered book now.

i'll be following this thread also, so here's to DCM sub 3.30 (or Better:))

• Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

BrokenMan wrote: »
    Thansk --amadeus-- trainig for Connemara peaked at around 35 and was runnign tempo or intervals each week. Think I will buy the book and have a read and decide between it and a Higdon Intermediate. Might even look at mixing them up a bit.
    I was going to reply with exactly what Amadeus said. What you peaked at for Connemara isn't terribly useful, what's more relevant is what you have done since then. You would need to be running 30-35 miles per week regularly before starting one of these plans, so you would want to be building up your mileage to that level now, in order to hit the ground running on the 21st June.

For my first marathon, I, like you, did the Connemara half, and moved straight onto the marathon track, following a hybrid training plan (HalHigdon intermediate II and makey-uppey), which served me very well. I don't think I would have been capable of following a P&D advanced marathoning training plan. But as you said, the book is a great investment, even if you don't follow the plan (this time) and describes the essential elements of a training plan. There's no reason you can't structure a plan for yourself using elements from both P&D and HH. Good luck!

Thansk Krusty. Current mileage is mid 20's so would have to ramp it up smartish to get there. It's possible but would probably be a step too far this time around. I will definitely get the book and have a good read through it but will probably follow the Higdon Intermediate II primarily.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

If I run Dublin I just want to beat Woddle. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

RedB|4|27|27|1st full week after GLR. Ramping up. 12.5M long run|
    menoscemo|||||
    pgmcpq|||||
    Effin Runner|||||
    woddle|||||
    paulmcd1973|||||

• Advertisement

If I run Dublin I just want to beat Woddle. :pac:

Fightin words they are :D, I appreciate your reverse psychology, your really just trying to get me to get out and train.

RedB wrote: »
    menoscemo|||||
    pgmcpq|||||
    Effin Runner|||||
    woddle|||||
    paulmcd1973|||||

How are we defining sessions redb, as if you've done 4 in the first week your probably going to injure yourself.

Also would it be worth adding an extra 2 columns for long runs (15 miles or more) and for medium long runs (10-14.99 miles)

I think if we had columns for VO2 max, lactate threshold, medium long run, long run and easy/recovery runs we cound then look at the results after the marathon and say well this is why woddle didn't get sub 3-30, he didn't do enough long runs and this is why krusty did go sub 3-30 he followed it to the letter, just an idea and we're sharing alot more vauable information.

Woddle wrote: »
    Fightin words they are :D, I appreciate your reverse psychology, your really just trying to get me to get out and train.

It's good to have something to aim for. Even with your lack of training you're probably already ahead of me. Keep me motivated if I have someone to watch and compete with. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

why woddle didn't get sub 3-30, he didn't do enough long runs .
    Well you have to be banned from talking like this now ;). I've a plan i'm following now, but only printing week by week off, no big count downs either i think they just put pressure on you .
    Your well capable of going sub 3:30 with a couple of months good running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Even with your lack of training you're probably already ahead of me.

Hmmm have you seen this man recently? ;):D:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

menoscemo|6|35|35| no long run. 5 mile race 34:15|
    pgmcpq|||||
    Effin Runner|||||
    woddle|||||
    paulmcd1973|||||

Bit disappointed with race time. a Good 35 mile week otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

pgmcpq|||||
    Effin Runner|||||
    woddle|||||
    paulmcd1973|||||
    nomadic|4|19|-|All short runs,5k race pb of sorts 21.12|

• Registered Users Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭plodder

How are we defining sessions redb, as if you've done 4 in the first week your probably going to injure yourself.
    I'd guess sessions just means runs in this case. I've only recently begun to realise that's not what it normally means. So, what are sessions (normally)? :confused:

On the question of how much detail to record in the table, it's hard to know. But, personally, I think a summary like what's there now is ok. If most people are trying to follow the P&D plan, maybe it's not necessary to repeat all the detail. Of course, whether people actually stick to it, is another question :pac:

Maybe just use the comments field for indicating where you've gone off the plan. Or add a link to your own training log, if people want to see more detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭plodder

pgmcpq|||||
    Effin Runner|||||
    woddle|||||
    paulmcd1973|||||
    Plodder|5|34|36|Wanted to do an 8 miler instead of 6 on Tuesday. No time though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

pgmcpq|6*|41|40| 8,8,8,7,6 + 5m race (33.18)|
    Effin Runner|||||
    woddle|||||
    paulmcd1973|||||
    Plodder|5|34|36|Wanted to do an 8 miler instead of 6 on Tuesday. No time though.

*Sessions: includes two recovery/easy paced runs.
    P&D due to arrive this week. HM next Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Also would it be worth adding an extra 2 columns for long runs (15 miles or more) and for medium long runs (10-14.99 miles)

I was only thinking of sessions in the general sense i.e. runs. So, I was trying to say I ran 4 times last week.
    As regards the table layout, I thought the KISS approach (Keep It Simple, Stupid ;)) would work best as its intended more as a summary of the P+D schedules rather than a specific reflection of them.
    I posted the first week of the 55M 18week schedule on page 1 and I was thinking of maybe modifying it when it kicks off (June 21st) by putting individual columns with names along the top and people could 'tick' off their boxes as they did the runs. A difficulty with that approach is that there are a number of P+D schedules with different mileage (55, 70, etc) and 12 or 18 week durations so it could get messy trying to show everyones specific performance. But hey, if people want it and it works then lets try it out :). Depending on the schedules people commit to, there might actually only be 2-3 different tables. I have the 55M schedule already input into Excel ready to post up on a week by week basis so I could easily modify it for the other schedules once I know what people are following. Of course, I'm strongly urging people to have a copy of the book themselves rather than just plagiarising the schedules from here. There's a lot of good stuff in the book that justifies having your own copy.

Sounds good and keeping it simple is probably the best approach, I just thought it would be fantastic feedback post DM.
    Anyway time to get out for a run

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭theduke1

hi all
    might jump on board here
    doing cork in 3 weeks hoping for round 3.30, training did not go according to plan but we will see soon. wil be def doing dcm again this year did 3.48 last year so hope this thread can help me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

I paced the 3.30 last year and will possibly be doing it again nxt year. Regards programs they are not set in stone. If you are tired skip the day and if its a session try and fit it in another day.
    Best of luck with your goals.

Woddle is the 24 weeks P&D plan in the book? Flicked through earlier and couldn't see it, I did have a copy of it a while ago from the road to boston site but not sure if I still have it.

Woddle is the 24 weeks P&D plan in the book? Flicked through earlier and couldn't see it, I did have a copy of it a while ago from the road to boston site but not sure if I still have it.

Page 140 of the older addition, I can scan it and send it to you if you havn't got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 paulmcd1973

pgmcpq|6*|41|40| 8,8,8,7,6 + 5m race (33.18)|
    Effin Runner|||||
    woddle|||||
    paulmcd1973|2|12|25|Did my knee in playing football. Out for at least two weeks. First injury in years, lack of exercise is killing me.|

Aaaarrrggghhhh! Here's hoping the injury doesn't last too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭cphowlin

Hey guys,

am planning on starting the 18wk plan in a couple of weeks for Dublin and i am aiming for sub 3:30. I also want to start doing some of the Wednesday imra races.

How do i go about working these into the plan? Should i just exchange it with the LT/VO2 max runs?

Any advice appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

cphowlin wrote: »
    I also want to start doing some of the Wednesday imra races. How do i go about working these into the plan? Should i just exchange it with the LT/VO2 max runs?
    The summer league races would kind of be positioned somewhere in between a V02max and LT session, so would be a suitable (if not ideal) replacement for either. I find the IMRA races are very tough on the body, and need a good bit of recovery time afterwards. So if you're like me, you'll need to juggle the schedule to make sure there are no 'sessions' for a couple of days afterwards, i.e. hard running. Maybe a recovery run the following day. aerobic after that etc.

Advertisement