Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Improvers / Sub 3:30 Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Week Ending Sun 4/7/10.
    16 weeks to start of DCM

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This week|Weekly Target|Comments
    RedB|||||
    menoscemo|5|35|37||
    pgmcpq|6|55|54| 4m race 28:22 :( |
    Effin Runner|||||
    paulmcd1973|||||
    Plodder|||||

Tired after the half marathon, I had to use my recovery week this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭plodder

Week Ending Sun 4/7/10.
    16 weeks to start of DCM

RedB|||||
    menoscemo|5|35|37||
    pgmcpq|6|55|54| 4m race 28:22 :( |
    Effin Runner|||||
    paulmcd1973|||||
    Plodder|4|36.5||Week 2 of P&D plan pretty much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

plodder wrote: »
    According to McMillan, 28:22 for 4 miles is in the ballpark for a sub 3:30 marathon (or only 10 seconds faster would be ;) ). And if you ran 16 miles one or two days beforehand, I certainly wouldn't worry about it.

Hope your right ... but to put it in context the pace for this 4m was my last HM pace ! I'm in the ballpark but seem to be running quickly to the exit !

But if this is my pace than I've bee doing the other runs (LT etc) way too fast ...

Week2 : I found those PMP miles pretty rough !

Week Ending Sun 11/7/10.
    15 weeks to start of DCM

RedB|||||
    menoscemo|||||
    pgmcpq|6|63|62| First 20. Slow was the theme ! |
    Effin Runner|||||
    paulmcd1973|||||
    Plodder|||||

Good week - though barely broke 9mm pace outdoors the entire week !

Week Ending Sun 11/7/10.
    15 weeks to start of DCM

RedB|||||
    menoscemo|5|45|45|good week|
    pgmcpq|6|63|62| First 20. Slow was the theme ! |
    Effin Runner|||||
    paulmcd1973|||||
    Plodder|||||

16 w/ 10@PMP went wwell. It was a tough week as it included a LT run too. 18 miles this weekend followed by 20 the next. I am noticing my ace improving.

• Advertisement

Week Ending Sun 18/7/10.
    14 weeks to start of DCM

RedB|||||
    menoscemo|||||
    Effin Runner|||||
    paulmcd1973|||||
    Plodder|5|42||survived another week.|

Next week is a tough week for the P&D schedule. 16 mile LSR with 10@pmp. Just wondering does it matter much whether to run the first 10 @ pmp, or the last 10 of the 16? I think I'd prefer to run the first 10, but something tells me, the last 10 would be better training :rolleyes:

.....does it matter much whether to run the first 10 @ pmp, or the last 10 of the 16? I think I'd prefer to run the first 10, but something tells me, the last 10 would be better training :rolleyes:

P&D suggest running the PMP miles at the end - as you probably guessed ;).
    You need some kind of warmup before hitting PMP pace anyway - well I do.
    I usually give myself a mile or two grace e.g 4-10-2 I'd start the 10 PMP miles after 4 miles and do 2 cool down miles at end. That way if the PMP miles get interrupted for some reason I can make them up - but this is just me.

4-10-2 sounds do-able. My problem is I normally go out too fast for the first few miles. But having a slow 2 at the end might make it easier.

Plodder, I did that run as a 3 warm-up, 10 PMP then 3 warm Down. I actually found it hard to run the last 3 slower as I had got into a good Rythm. I know P&D say to do the 10 PMP at the end but that really doesn't suit me as it is approx 3 miles to Phoenix Park from my house so it suits me to do the faster miles in the Park.
    I was afraid of that session myself but ti actually went much beter than expected.

Week Ending Sun 18/7/10.
    14 weeks to start of DCM

RedB|||||
    menoscemo|5|50|50|Good week|
    Effin Runner|||||
    paulmcd1973|||||

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Went AWOL there for a few weeks doing a Tri and mad busy with work / life. Missed the start of the 18wk prog but will be jumping into the 12 week programme instead. My training partner BB has kept with the 18wk plan and is raving about how good its working out for him. Good to see there's a bit of life on the thread ;).

Great to see you back Red.
    I really feel the programme is brnging me on in leaps and bounds as well. I am doing a 10k next sunday so it will be interesting to see how much i have improved since the Great ireland Run.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

menoscemo wrote: »
    I know P&D say to do the 10 PMP at the end but that really doesn't suit me as it is approx 3 miles to Phoenix Park from my house so it suits me to do the faster miles in the Park.
    Do they actually advocate this? I always do a couple of miles warm-up (up to 4), PMP miles, and warm-down (I split the easy miles on either side of the pmp). For general long runs (non-PMP) I do pick up the pace towards the end of the run. On Saturday I did 18 miles with 10@pmp. I would really have struggled if I had to do 8 miles easy, followed by 10 miles @pmp.

Do they actually advocate this? I always do a couple of miles warm-up (up to 4), PMP miles, and warm-down (I split the easy miles on either side of the pmp). For general long runs (non-PMP) I do pick up the pace towards the end of the run. On Saturday I did 18 miles with 10@pmp. I would really have struggled if I had to do 8 miles easy, followed by 10 miles @pmp.

Think they do - though it is a bit ambiguous : From p25.

"On these runs, use the first few miles to warm up, then finish the run with the prescribed number of miles at marathon race pace"

I am allowing a mile or two at the end as a cool down/contingency - so I am not following the letter of the law, but basically they do suggest that the PMP miles are are the "finish" of the run. Whether it actually make a real difference ... well that's beyond my pay grade !

Week Ending Sun 18/7/10.
    14 weeks to start of DCM

Hey I got dropped :(

RedB|||||
    menoscemo|5|50|50|Good week|
    Effin Runner|||||
    paulmcd1973|||||
    pgmcpq|7|62||5k 19.56 :) |

Ended up doing this week and some of next week for various reasons - 7 runs a week is not going to be habit. Circumstances have thrown me off the P&D schedule a bit. This week will be down week with another HM next weekend.
    RedB wrote: »
    Went AWOL there for a few weeks doing a Tri and mad busy with work / life. Missed the start of the 18wk prog but will be jumping into the 12 week programme instead. My training partner BB has kept with the 18wk plan and is raving about how good its working out for him. Good to see there's a bit of life on the thread .

Welcome back - thread felt incomplete without our founder member. We're far enough into the P&D plan to start to get an impression. I'm quite enjoying the variety of runs - though the mid weeks MLRs are a bit of a shock to the system. I have a couple of HMs coming up. Curious to see if I'll find any major difference at this stage (though conditions are not the best here for distance runs currently).

Week Ending Sun 25/7/10.
    13 weeks to start of DCM

Sorry I dropped you from the table last week, pgmcpq. It's tricky editing these things :pac:

RedB|||||
    menoscemo|||||
    Effin Runner|||||
    paulmcd1973|||||
    Plodder|5|46||big run was sunday's 10 miles pmp in 16 mile long run.|
    pgmcpq|||||

I found the 16 mile (with 10 @ pmp) today hard enough. I did it as 5 mile warm-up, 10 miles pmp, plus 1 mile cool-down. Glad to have a small reduction in mileage next week.

RedB|||||
    menoscemo|5|54|54|10k PB 42:07 and first 20 mile run of the year|
    Effin Runner|||||
    paulmcd1973|||||
    pgmcpq|||||

great week.

RedB|||||
    menoscemo|5|54|54|10k PB 42:07 and first 20 mile run of the year|
    Effin Runner|||||
    paulmcd1973|||||
    pgmcpq|5|50|54| HM 1.35.04|

Bit of a step back/HM mini-taper week. Need to get back on plan this week.
    Nice PB menoscemo.

Not a great week for me last week. Blew up badly on 18 mile Sunday run. Will update log later. But a question about the Saturday run.

Was that really 7 miles with 8 x 100m strides p.m - per mile :eek: ? Even allowing for a mile warmup and cooldown, that would be 40 individual 100m strides. Any way, I couldn't summon up the energy for the strides and couldn't manage more than 8 in total. :(

Not a great week for me last week. Blew up badly on 18 mile Sunday run. Will update log later. But a question about the Saturday run.

Was that really 7 miles with 8 x 100m strides p.m - per mile :eek: ? Even allowing for a mile warmup and cooldown, that would be 40 individual 100m strides. Any way, I couldn't summon up the energy for the strides and couldn't manage more than 8 in total. :(

No, I doubt it. I'm not sure if you could get 8*100 meters + recovery done in a mile and it does not fit any pattern found elsewhere in the plan. Elsewhere p.m. is used in contrast to a.m (e.g. in the 55-70 mile plan). I only see the p.m. notation used in contrast to a.m. so this is a bit strange. Editing typo ?

These guys had the same question : Typo seemed to be the conclusion

http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/training/marathon-race-training/couple-of-pfitz-1255-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:TrainingForum:697106477Discussion:fc2d70a4-4614-4ad8-b5aa-dc202341208ePost:ac6f8588-e1c3-43a2-b6fa-1a1af095b9a5

• Advertisement

pgmcpq wrote: »
    No, I doubt it. I'm not sure if you could get 8*100 meters + recovery done in a mile and it does not fit any pattern found elsewhere in the plan. Elsewhere p.m. is used in contrast to a.m (e.g. in the 55-70 mile plan). I only see the p.m. notation used in contrast to a.m. so this is a bit strange. Editing typo ?

These guys had the same question : Typo seemed to be the conclusion

http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/training/marathon-race-training/couple-of-pfitz-1255-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:TrainingForum:697106477Discussion:fc2d70a4-4614-4ad8-b5aa-dc202341208ePost:ac6f8588-e1c3-43a2-b6fa-1a1af095b9a5
    Thanks! That makes more sense. I'm glad I didn't try to do it. :pac:

Week Ending Sun 15/08/10.
    10 weeks to start of DCM

RedB|4|39|39|Found the 15m very tough|
    menoscemo|||||
    Effin Runner|||||
    paulmcd1973|||||
    Plodder|||||
    pgmcpq|||||

I've just finished the first 2 weeks of the 12 week schedule while on my holidays so I hope I can manage it while back at work now. I hadn't been running much in July so my base level was awful but I seem to have been able to ramp up fast so far. Fingers crossed.

Week Ending Sun 22/08/10.
    9 weeks to start of DCM

RedB|5|43|43|Found the 16m distance managable which is an improvement but I kept the pace low so the HR would be ok|
    menoscemo|||||
    Effin Runner|||||
    paulmcd1973|||||
    Plodder|||||
    pgmcpq|||||

9 weeks to start of DCM

RedB|5|43|43|Found the 16m distance managable which is an improvement but I kept the pace low so the HR would be ok|
    menoscemo|4.5|40|43|slight groin strain hampered my speed session|
    Effin Runner|||||
    paulmcd1973|||||
    Plodder|||||
    pgmcpq|||||

Seeing my Physio tonight, I don't think it is anything too serious. This was my first week back in a training programme and I was quite jetlagged. Hopefully get back in the groove this week.

9 weeks to start of DCM

menoscemo|4.5|40|43|slight groin strain hampered my speed session|
    Effin Runner|||||
    paulmcd1973|||||
    Plodder|5|50||Did 20 mile lsr|
    pgmcpq|||||

Missed some key sessions previous week due to illness (incl. long run) so did the first 20 mile LSR yesterday. After my 18 mile fiasco the week before that, I was taking no chances with fuel/hydration. Took three gels also, and it worked out very well. Pleased with that week. I think I'll try and do the PMP run next Sunday, that should have been done yesterday, and hopefully I'm back on track then.

Week Ending Sun 29/08/10.
    8 weeks to start of DCM

RedB|5|48|48|Pretty tired after 10M LT and then 11M following day. Ok on 17M LSR|
    menoscemo|||||
    Effin Runner|||||
    paulmcd1973|||||
    Plodder|||||
    pgmcpq|||||

Cheating slightly as only squeezed in my last 5M recovery run of the week this morning. Schedule slipped a day due to work last Wed but today and tomorrow are rest days so not so bad to get it in here ;).

Week Ending Sun 29/08/10.
    8 weeks to start of DCM

RedB|5|48|48|Pretty tired after 10M LT and then 11M following day. Ok on 17M LSR|
    menoscemo|5|52|48|did second 20 this with instead of 16 w 12@PMP|
    Effin Runner|||||
    paulmcd1973|||||
    Plodder|||||
    pgmcpq|||||

Groin recovering but should be fit for Temps and PMP's this week.

Week Ending Sun 5/9/10.
    7 weeks to start of DCM

RedB|||||
    menoscemo|||||
    Effin Runner|||||
    paulmcd1973|||||
    Plodder|4|50|55|LSR went pretty well - overall 8:33 pace. Dropped Sat' recovery run due to aching legs after a massage on Thursday.|
    pgmcpq|||||

Just a quick bump of the thread. We haven't updated in ages.
    How has everyones training gone? What are the targets for the big day?
    I am sticking with my 3:30 target even if McMillan says I can go faster. I am really hoping to just run my first strong, solid marathon before pushing to to biger and better things in the future.
    I am really happy with how the training went. 4 Runs of 19.5+ miles and I completed all the PMP runs comfortably. Fingers crossed......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭TakeaBowSon

Training has gone pretty well. Have been following the P&D 55mpw programme pretty closely.

Did a 21 mile LSR on Saturday and have a 20 miler and a couple of 19 milers done. All the tempo, PMP and V02 max sessions were completed to the letter so I'm hopeful (rather than confident!)

Like you menoscemo, McMillan has me down for quicker than 3.30 but I would be happy to get through this one at 3.30 and without blowing up over the last 5 miles. And then kick on next time out!

Looking forward to it now!

Advertisement