Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SF now the largest political party in the north.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Baralis1 wrote: »
    Did you read my full reply? My issue, and its not really an issue -just an observation - is that she doesn't live in the same country as the people she represents. Why doesn't she stand for election to the Dail if she lives in the Republic?

Because she chose to represent the people of Down. Sinn Féin is a 32 county party, and doesn't draw a divide - like all nationalists. The reality of the matter is it really is a non-issue, because regardless of the fact that she lives 7 miles from south Down - she is able to represent her constituents, and takes part in the northern assembly.
    And her political background doesn't really matter to me. I am interested in Northern Irish politics but I don't support either side of the divide as I think they are both wrong to be focusing on Nationalist versus Unionist politics rather that economic issues and other normal political issues. I suppose the Alliance party would be the closest to my views.

Well - Both unionist and nationalist parties have policies on economic issues and work routinely to address any economic problems, with the devolved powers that they have. Remember - Britain ultimately controls the north, and as such - there is only so much either SF or the DUP can do to address any economic problems. SF for example has requested to reduce corp tax in the north to entice business, which would create new work and alleviate the dependency on the public sector.

Tell me what economic policies that the Alliance party have - that make it stand-out from Sinn Féin or the DUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Baralis1

SlabMurphy wrote: »
    The GFA* was sold to nationalists as taking a step towards Irish unity. Nationalists on both sides of the border voted for it, while I remember reading an analysis of the voting patterns at the time and it was concluded that more unionists voted against it than for it.

Poll after poll down the years has nearly always resulted in an 80% plus majority in the 26 counties to support a united Ireland. Like any society, their will always be a minority who would be against it. Doubtless a good Irish ' nationalist ' like yourself would have been running to the nearest British army recruitment office if you had been around in 1916 to do your bit to restore law and order etc, etc

* Which I myself was against, but that's a different discussion

The Republic didn't vote on the GFA. We voted on changes to our constitution to abandon the claim made in it to Northern Ireland. I haven't heard of any poll on recent years in the Republic on a united Ireland. From my knowledge I really doubt 80% is an likely figure. The truth is that it is a non-issue for most people besides the 8 or 9 % who support Sinn Fein and maybe a few more % among FF supporters. As for your last comment, I'm not going to bother responding other that to say that this is a current political discussion, not a discussion of politics 94 years ago, and I can assure you that I would have joined my ancestors in securing our independance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

We voted on changes to our constitution to abandon the claim made in it to Northern Ireland.

The Republic quite properly removed any "claim" on NI and replaced it with the simple statement that the Irish nation was found in the 32 counties. When the circumstances are suitable there will be no significant opposition to that nation having a single State.
    and I can assure you that I would have joined my ancestors in securing our independance.

No doubt they'd be proud of your I'm all right Jack attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

ireland is a island divided by two cultures,two religions,and two tribes,it was always going to be difficult to bring them both under one roof,if you take a look at what has happened in europe in the last 50 years you can see why,many of the newly independent nations,have now split up,because of the different religions/cultures/or tribel problems. ireland has all three, but what i cannot understand is why so many irish people will not except it,it was [the republic] who was quick to recognize the breakaway states of the likes of kosova[a northern ireland of yugoslava],ignore me i am just ranting on,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

This thread is a bit like a religious argument. Both sides are getting hot and bothered and when all is said and done everyone is going to be even more entrenched in their own point of view.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

getz wrote: »
    ...ignore me i am just ranting on

OK.

Did you read my full reply? My issue, and its not really an issue -just an observation - is that she doesn't live in the same country as the people she represents. Why doesn't she stand for election to the Dail if she lives in the Republic? And her political background doesn't really matter to me. I am interested in Northern Irish politics but I don't support either side of the divide as I think they are both wrong to be focusing on Nationalist versus Unionist politics rather that economic issues and other normal political issues. I suppose the Alliance party would be the closest to my views.

She does live in the same country as the people she represents, obviously. There's only one Ireland, a country which is currently divided into two states. In the broad scheme of Irish history this current situation is a temporary little arrangement at best.

owenc wrote: »
    no because at 46-47 thats just even and thats really stupid,its that close at that rate one person could change it. Btw i didn't know that you are that reluctant to get ni. Why do you think we would want to join your country whenever we are fine the way we are.

Ah, so let us get this right. If the difference is 46% pro British rule and 47% pro Irish freedom the majority should remain under the rule of a British state because ...?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Rebelheart wrote: »
    She does live in the same country as the people she represents, obviously. There's only one Ireland, a country which is currently divided into two states. In the broad scheme of Irish history this current situation is a temporary little arrangement at best.

I don't live in the country of ireland I live in the country of the "United Kingdom" and a live in the ISLAND of ireland.

I don't live in the country of ireland I live in the country of the "United Kingdom" and a live in the ISLAND of ireland.

I'm picturing you jumping up and down, bashing your keyboard off the ground right now. Grow up. That's not the question he asked you. You're seriously posting like a 12 year old.

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote: »
    I'm picturing you jumping up and down, bashing your keyboard off the ground right now. Grow up. That's not the question he asked you. You're seriously posting like a 12 year old.

idc just because your republican you think this is alright, well sorry but for me that is too far.

Owen, you didn't answer his question. You went off on a tangent, and didn't answer what he asked you. Me being a republican is irrelevant.

Owen, you didn't answer his question. You went off on a tangent, and didn't answer what he asked you. Me being a republican is irrelevant.

what question.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I live in the country of the "United Kingdom"

And there's me thought the UK as a State containing 3 countries and a bit of a country. Would you like to go on the Scottish equivalent of Boards and argue that Scotland is not a country?

ardmacha wrote: »
    And there's me thought the UK as a State containing 3 countries and a bit of a country. Would you like to go on the Scottish equivalent of Boards and argue that Scotland is not a country?
    4 actually northern Ireland is a country and if you are saying it isn't that will come off to me as very rude. See: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Ireland?wasRedirected=true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

Suerly someone with the label 'Moderator' attached to his name ought not to be posting such emotive posts ?

Perhaps it was a rash response by me. I apologise. But his posts have been consistently immature and aren't productive for discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Is there a reason why SF run and get elected in Westminster elections if they choose not to sit in that parliament. Is it for the big salaries, office facilites in London and attendant staff.
    Maybe that's how they represent their electorate?

The small TVU will disappear and their votes will go back to the DUP for the most part. Around the same time the UUP (or whatever they're called these days) will merge with the DUP and then you will have one large unionist party.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

To believe that North and South Ireland are two different countries is a very ignorant view. Ireland is divided only politically historically it has always been a country.

That is the difference between a state and a country.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    To believe that North and South Ireland are two different countries is a very ignorant view. Ireland is divided only politically historically it has always been a country.

That is the difference between a state and a country.

Well Sinn fein who boast about being the only 32 County party seem to have two separate sets of economic policies for the two different states !

• Advertisement

imme wrote: »
    Is there a reason why SF run and get elected in Westminster elections if they choose not to sit in that parliament.

Yes there is, and it has already been covered on a number of occasions in this thread.

anymore wrote: »
    Well Sinn fein who boast about being the only 32 County party seem to have two separate sets of economic policies for the two different states !

Examples?

Examples?

Check up on gerry Adams economic comments that have embarasse even SF members in the South.

P.S SF's policies on sex abuse reporting procedures in the North seem to a great deal different than in the South !

Check up on gerry Adams economic comments that have embarasse even SF members in the South.

I asked you for examples. That is not an example.
    P.S SF's policies on sex abuse reporting procedures in the North seem to a great deal different than in the South !

And that ladies and gentlemen, is how anymore attempts to divert off-topic when pressed to provide examples for his claims.

Not that I should even entertain your red herrings - But - it was reported to the RUC by Gerry Adams. So I would say that it's policies on reporting sex abuse is pretty consistent.

I asked you for examples. That is not an example.

And that ladies and gentlemen, is how anymore attempts to divert off-topic when pressed to provide examples for his claims.

Not that I should even entertain your red herrings - But - it was reported to the RUC by Gerry Adams. So I would say that it's policies on reporting sex abuse is pretty consistent.

If you want an example of red herrings or being off topic, here you are from your own post :

So basically, you can't provide any examples? (Keeping in mind that SF doesn't actually control the economic policies of the North, but continue nonetheless)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

Check up on gerry Adams economic comments that have embarasse even SF members in the South

Even people in SF do not see Mr Adams as a good financial rolemodel the man has not got a clue on economics. He tried to fiddle the accounts of the Bobby Sands Trust.
    "There was also family concern over an alleged attempt by Sinn Féin to insert a clause in the new Trust which would have made Gerry Adams a financial beneficiary. “It came in the draft version of the new trust documents drawn up in 1994 though Adams said that it should read the president of Sinn Féin of the day. We didn’t agree to either”.

http://sluggerotoole.com/2009/12/29/...m-sands-trust/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

What's your point?

Don't give us "check up" blah blah. That's lazyarsed. Give precise references, please. It really should not be that hard.

Yours, trying to raise the standard on Boards.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Raising the standard is good. Let's all try that. Beginning with turning back towards the topic at hand and the implications of that or resisting the urge to make a post at all. Or I could close this and give a forum ban to the person(s) who make me do that. Your call as I tend to say, not a playground etc etc. Please don't make me consider going back and checking to see whether I already gave a warning about off-topickness in this thread as that won't help any of you out. If you reckon someone is a serial off-topicker and genuinely ripping the proverbial with it, don't reply to their post, I'll catch it on my rounds and act accordingly. Replying effectively validates the thing you're replying to. Better for all of us if you all keep that in mind.

/mod

Advertisement