Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SF now the largest political party in the north.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Clearly you were trying to use it as an excuse to explain why a nationalist party received more votes than a unionist party. If that was not your angle, then why mention it at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭SlabMurphy

Baralis1 wrote: »
    Well I personally can't see the logic of someone involved in politics in a country not even living in that country herself. It doesn't matter how close to the border she is.

Also, I can't understand how political debate in NI seems to focus on the percentage of nationalists in the north being the only limiting factor to forming an All-Island nation. People seem to assume that the Republic of Ireland would welcome reunification with open arms. Remember, over 90% of the electorate voted to drop our claim on NI from the constitution, and Sinn Fein have only a small following down here as has been proved in election after election. I for one would not welcome reunification and all the sectarian problems in Northern Ireland being added to our own problems. Added to that, the emormous about of money being pumped in to NI by the rest of the UK would not be forthcoming from here. History is history at this stage and should be left there. Let NI stay in the UK or declare its own independance.
    The GFA* was sold to nationalists as taking a step towards Irish unity. Nationalists on both sides of the border voted for it, while I remember reading an analysis of the voting patterns at the time and it was concluded that more unionists voted against it than for it.

Poll after poll down the years has nearly always resulted in an 80% plus majority in the 26 counties to support a united Ireland. Like any society, their will always be a minority who would be against it. Doubtless a good Irish ' nationalist ' like yourself would have been running to the nearest British army recruitment office if you had been around in 1916 to do your bit to restore law and order etc, etc

* Which I myself was against, but that's a different discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mickeyrooo

thanks for the explanations... doesn't seem too fair to me...does that have anything to do with gerrymandering?

SlabMurphy wrote: »
    The GFA* was sold to nationalists as taking a step towards Irish unity. Nationalists on both sides of the border voted for it, while I remember reading an analysis of the voting patterns at the time and it was concluded that more unionists voted against it than for it.

Poll after poll down the years has nearly always resulted in an 80% plus majority in the 26 counties to support a united Ireland. Like any society, their will always be a minority who would be against it. Doubtless a good Irish ' nationalist ' like yourself would have been running to the nearest British army recruitment office if you had been around in 1916 to do your bit to restore law and order etc, etc

Well who cares about down your place its northern irelands choice not yours.

• Advertisement

mickeyrooo wrote: »
    thanks for the explanations... doesn't seem too fair to me...does that have anything to do with gerrymandering?

How is that not fair its our choice you don't live here, you here me there OUR choice!

owenc wrote: »
    Well who cares about down your place its northern irelands choice not yours.
    All I can say is that I hope you come down with a very bad dose of the piles. It might be the best thing to stop you posting rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Slab, pay no attention to Owen. He gets a little excited at the thought of nationalists having a say in his affairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

No it wasn't .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

How is that not fair its our choice you don't live here, you here me there OUR choice!

Well trying to bring the thread back to its title, lest it be closed, the biggest party in the place you want to have the choice wants a United Ireland.

The present situation in NI is that 42-43% of people vote nationalist, 50% vote unionist and 7% for "middle parties". In a decade or so this will be 47% nationalist, 46% unionist and the middle parties will have to assess their position.

• Advertisement

ardmacha wrote: »
    Well trying to bring the thread back to its title, lest it be closed, the biggest party in the place you want to have the choice wants a United Ireland.

The present situation in NI is that 42-43% of people vote nationalist, 50% vote unionist and 7% for "middle parties". In a decade or so this will be 47% nationalist, 46% unionist and the middle parties will have to assess their position.

They'd be better waiting until its 60-40

All I can say is that I hope you come down with a very bad dose of the piles. It might be the best thing to stop you posting rubbish.

oh aye im posting rubbish am i? No thanks sunshine. I'll follow my own advice.

dlofnep wrote: »
    Slab, pay no attention to Owen. He gets a little excited at the thought of nationalists having a say in his affairs.

or maybe i was complaining because someone said that it was unfair that 80% of ireland voted for a united ireland and that because of that there should be a united ireland whenver it is our choice not the republic of irelands.

They'd be better waiting until its 60-40
    Ah yes the unionist understanding of democracy. These were the very people shouting about the rights of the majority for decades and now as the nationalist majority is approaching they want the rules to be changed again for them.

But sure if it was 60 - 40 they'd be demanding that it had to be 70 - 30 :)

Ah yes the unionist understanding of democracy. These were the very people shouting about the rights of the majority for decades and now as the nationalist majority is approaching they want the rules to be changed again for them.

But sure if it was 60 - 40 they'd be demanding that it had to be 70 - 30 :)

no because at 46-47 thats just even and thats really stupid,its that close at that rate one person could change it. Btw i didn't know that you are that reluctant to get ni. Why do you think we would want to join your country whenever we are fine the way we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭trapsagenius

no because at 46-47 thats just even and thats really stupid,its that close at that rate one person could change it. Btw i didn't know that you are that reluctant to get ni. Why do you think we would want to join your country whenever we are fine the way we are.

What age are you?

Why do you think we would want to join your country whenever we are fine the way we are.

You are already in our country, we want you to form a common State.

no were not we are in your island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

No he's not.

What age are you?

Is it any of your business.

• Advertisement

Is it any of your business.

Just wondering are you even old enough to vote.You seem remarkably immature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I think he said he was 14 or 15 before, but I could be mistaken.

Nodin wrote: »
    I think he said he was 14 or 15 before, but I could be mistaken.

No surprises there, then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

Grow up, your like the kid in class with IRA RULES on his pencil case

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mickeyrooo

I read you there Owen I can't 'here' you though!!
    Listen I just didn't fully understand how the system works and looking at the numbers the seats allocated are actually not your choice. There seems to be an imbalance between votes cast and seats won. Numbers don't lie!! Usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

we want you to form a common State.

And who is WE, the same we who killed people in Enniskillen just because they were Protestant

Winty wrote: »
    And who is WE, the same we who killed people in Enniskillen just because they were Protestant

Vise versa

Grow up, your like the kid in class with IRA RULES on his pencil case

When someone states a simple fact, the puerile responses to that statement say a lot about who needs to grow up.

We are the majority of people in this country. The vast majority of whom did not support the killing of people in Enniskillen. Who are you?

When someone states a simple fact, the puerile responses to that statement say a lot about who needs to grow up.

It's funny, I was having quite a similar thought on a different thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Baralis1

dlofnep wrote: »
    So it's really a non-issue, other than the fact that she might not be of your political corner.

Did you read my full reply? My issue, and its not really an issue -just an observation - is that she doesn't live in the same country as the people she represents. Why doesn't she stand for election to the Dail if she lives in the Republic? And her political background doesn't really matter to me. I am interested in Northern Irish politics but I don't support either side of the divide as I think they are both wrong to be focusing on Nationalist versus Unionist politics rather that economic issues and other normal political issues. I suppose the Alliance party would be the closest to my views.

Advertisement