Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWII TANK MMO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Damn internet swallowed a long post.

Basically got last and great potential (only sucks when you die straight away and have to sit out a 15 min battle). I'm totally clueless in regards to what I'm supposed to research and implement on my tank. I'm EXTREMELY clueless with what tank does what so I've no idea if I can potentially tackle an opponent or if I should be running screaming like a baby.

Is there a wiki with guides/tank types and suggested skill paths etc knocking about?

forum.worldoftanks.com

the ONLY resource you need ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Damn internet swallowed a long post.

Basically got last and great potential (only sucks when you die straight away and have to sit out a 15 min battle). I'm totally clueless in regards to what I'm supposed to research and implement on my tank. I'm EXTREMELY clueless with what tank does what so I've no idea if I can potentially tackle an opponent or if I should be running screaming like a baby.

Is there a wiki with guides/tank types and suggested skill paths etc knocking about?

when you die you can clikc exit battle and you still get all your xp / credits when that battle is over, so you can exit battle then go fight in another of your tanks straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

server up and running with new patch

damn cant connect to update server at the mo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

copeyhagen wrote: »
    when you die you can clikc exit battle and you still get all your xp / credits when that battle is over, so you can exit battle then go fight in another of your tanks straight away.

awwwwwwh now that's annoying to find out now :D But thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭DeWinterZero

Fully patched up and back in the game.

Tier 1 US tank is like a Loltraktor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

Fully patched up and back in the game.

Tier 1 US tank is like a Loltraktor.

You just know its going to be coined the cunnilingus

Yeah, I've already called it a cunning linguist :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

damn client keeps crashing while it attempts to update sigh

bizmark wrote: »
    damn client keeps crashing while it attempts to update sigh

Did you not just d/l the torrent?

Took about 10 mins for me, really quick as there's loads of people seeding.

Although the localisation package is taking forever, and its only 28mb :(

the patch rocks, you can shot tanks at distance no more teleporting tanks:cool: plus the matchmaker is much better

and the server was pretty much lag free (dunno because I was playing earlier though)

• Advertisement

Did you not just d/l the torrent?

Took about 10 mins for me, really quick as there's loads of people seeding.

Although the localisation package is taking forever, and its only 28mb :(

Well it downloaded the patch tryed to update then constantly crashed i downloaded the torrent and stuck it in the upgrades folder but it also kept crashing while trying to update in the end i had to uninstall/reinstall every thing bleh.

Can someone explain what's the best ammo for a newb to use? I understand the real life theory between HEAT and AP rounds but ingame what's best for what?

seems to be Ap is good for guns with decent penetration/damage and high explosive is best for high damage low penetration guns

AP's penetration is dependant on range, so at long range AP loses penetration, rule of thumb is long barrel guns are usually high penetration like on PzIV or KV's 107mm, with these guns AP is always the way to go.

HE is soft splash damage ammo that wounds crew, knocks out tracks, damages mods and causes critical hits to targets out of your league.

A good rule of thumb is to use AP rounds on long barrel high penetration guns like the t28's 85mm, the StuG's 75mm and the Pz IV 75mm AND at close range on other guns. If you have to fight at long range often you're wasting your time with AP if you're in the lower half of the tank list and are better off with HE, if you're fighting at close range AP is usually the way to go unless your gun as awful penetration like the panzer III's short 75mm

HE is a good ammo to use at long range as its damage is not dependant on penetration or range, for example the Hetzers 105mm gun, the KV's 122mm or 152mm or the Panzer III's short barrel 75mm.

HEAT ammo is the best of both worlds but very spendy, its penetration is not dependant on range, so it has high penetration and damage at all ranges.

Also let me add that the JgdPz IV tank destroyer is a sexual predator that molests other tanks at extreme ranges like a rapist at a bouncy castle and you should all be aiming for this tank.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Don't spend money on 'gold' ammo. Maybe have one or two rounds handy for emergencies, but your gold is better used elsewhere.

NTM

Right okay, that makes sense. Game is starting to come together now.

2am.... *sobs*.... just.... one.....more.....go.....

2.30am no really... need to go to bed.... Oh.. okay I'll just give artillery its first go.

3.30am whhhhhhhhy can't I stop playing this gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame.

I see you have just discovered one of the major problems with this game.

Not impressed by the American tanks. They're fast, but very easy to kill.

NTM

I wasn't too impressed with the US tanks either - until I discovered to use the M3 Lee's gun at range. It stupidly accurate, and dishes decent damage for a tier 3.

Trying to work through the medium/heavy's, and the SPGs.

Currently have an M3 Lee and M37

• Advertisement

while most of our team is off fighting ze enemy our platoon spends its time re-enacting sexual positions with tanks, see here how two lads from munster spit roast a young man from the north, HOT.

7b6747580357d9f8b7bcee86b4e9cc9f.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Finally.....

With the warping tanks bug fixed I can play :)

Destroyed 4 on my first game post-patch and 6 on the next !

So have people been investing in the US tree??

I got rid of a couple of my tanks (T-43 & A-20) and have got myself up to the M3 Lee and M37.

Oh, I also bought another slot and bought the T1 heavy last night.

Having fun again, as I've got new tanks to play with, but my older 3 tanks have been on the back burner for a bit now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

havent bothered with the us tree, but the t1 deffo looks good.

a lot of people cmplaining last night about the m3 lee, saying it sucked.

been concentrating mostly on the pz iv, building up xp so i can get the vh601 (or whatever its called), then its tiger time :)

been having an awful time with the hetzer, trying to get to the stugiii but the hetzer is so crap its really not fun to play at all.

just picked up the spg after the su26 last night, su5 is it?

had some great fun in the su26 knocking out heavy tanks when nobody thought it possible!

the lower tiers are great crack for my elite at1 now too, getting some amount of kills with it! sh1t xp though, even when premium

I'm not sure whether there's spaces left, but do you guys fancy putting together a Boards WoT team for the US championships?

The matches are on late though (GMT) around 2/3am.

We'd need maybe 20 players max, absolute minimum of 14 (with no subs)

I've set up a team, register here:
    http://game.worldoftanks.com/tournaments/5/registrations/4/

Look for the 'Barmy Ranger Wing'

http://game.worldoftanks.com/teams/59/

We could also enter a team for the 'battle league'. Though I think that starts today, so we'd want to be quick!!

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/forum/111-battle-league/

Actually, I think battle league registration is over :(

what do ye think of the new patch?

I like no more warping and the addition of the new American tank tree plus getting rid of that bloody autofire, also the arty splash damage seems to be toned down a bit

but my fun in the Luchs has finally come to an end because its far to easy to hit scouts from distance now, even when you are using terrain to your advantage

and another gripe I have is the amount of invisible tanks shooting at you and staying hidden, the cover system seems to be a tad broken at the moment

oh forgot another annoyance since the patch is the obscene amounts of amount of module and crew damage

Auvers wrote: »
    what do ye think of the new patch?

I like no more warping and the addition of the new American tank tree plus getting rid of that bloody autofire, also the arty splash damage seems to be toned down a bit

but my fun in the Luchs has finally come to an end because its far to easy to hit scouts from distance now even when you are using terrain to your advantage

and another gripe I have is the amount of invisible tanks shooting at you and staying hidden, the cover system seems to be a tad broken at the moment

Patch is quite a nice improvement.

The new gfx effects are nice, but totally not essential - they don't add all tat much. The depth of field and shock-waves look cool, even if the dof is a bit messed up in scope view.

Warping gone is a HUGE bonus, its possible to accurately hit tanks at range now.

They messed up auto-aim totally. Its completely useless now.

Bought myself a few US tanks, its fun grinding through the new trees :)

Have noticed plenty of bugs though. Shadows appearing / disappearing, game rooms failing to be created by the server, lag is a LOT worse (so it seemed over the weekend anyway), shells going through targets is a pain, my driver being killed on nearly every first shot I'm hit with, and the edge detect doesn't work with post processing. (though I figured out a work around for AA and PP).

All in all, a very decent update. I like the new maps too.

Mostly playing the T57 2nd tier US arty. Heading for elite crew. I sold my Su-8 Russian Arty. With the new random shell placement and its slow reload it was just too annoying. The T57 reloads quick enough that the random shells are only occasionally annoying. And you can use it as a TD across its ironsights. And it fairly motors too (40kph). Its soon going to be rivalling the Stug for my favourite vehicle.

I'm using my StugIII to get free XP so I can skip the Lee and get a Sherman or possibly a T1.

I still have a A-20, Luchs & a Leo but their not as much fun because tanks can now hit them at a distance. And I'll be free of the KV1 in a few days.

Lag spikes seem to happen when there's over 9000 people online. Compared to game stopping lag at 6000 players on the previous patch.

Mostly playing the T57 2nd tier US arty. Heading for elite crew. I sold my Su-8 Russian Arty. With the new random shell placement and its slow reload it was just too annoying. The T57 reloads quick enough that the random shells are only occasionally annoying. And you can use it as a TD across its ironsights. And it fairly motors too (40kph). Its soon going to be rivalling the Stug for my favourite vehicle.

I'm using my StugIII to get free XP so I can skip the Lee and get a Sherman or possibly a T1.

I still have a A-20, Luchs & a Leo but their not as much fun because tanks can now hit them at a distance. And I'll be free of the KV1 in a few days.

Lag spikes seem to happen when there's over 9000 people online. Compared to game stopping lag at 6000 players on the previous patch.

Nice, enjoyed the T57 - but I think I only played it for a day before upgrading to the M37. HUGE difference. M37 I find to be a great little SPG.

I have the M3 Lee, and while its armour is weak, and turns like a boat, if you play it like a TD its quite rewarding. Its got super accuracy from range.

I just bought a T1 heavy also, haven't really played it yet.

I sold my T-43 and A-20, got bore with them. T-43 is just too much of a grind to the t-44, and its a dead end then. Can always go back if I like I suppose.

So currently playing with: IS, Hummel, Jagdpanzer IV, M37, M3 Lee and T1.

Enjoying the game again :)

• Advertisement

From the other thread:
    All a scout has to do is hit you in the tracks, and its game over. TD's should not be purely defensive, be utilised away from the base, in a sniper type role.

A decent medium would be best for defending arty.

German TDs would historically be a defensive weapon.

I've rarely had a scout manage to track me. Two reasons. Firstly, I'm pretty good with my gun, and there's a better chance I'll track the scout before he gets to me. Even better if I'm somewhere near the artillery: If he's coming towards the Arty, he's coming towards me too, making the shot easier. (It gets even better if the scout is a Luchs or Stuart, and I'm in a Hetzer 105: He won't know what hit him). Secondly, TDs tend to be a secondary target for the scout: They'll generally ignore me anyway if they're in the vicinity of an artillery piece. If I'm distant from them, then if the scout comes by me first, there's nothing to distract him.

I'm not saying that a good Medium isn't a good way of protecting the arty, at least against lights, but I think you're giving the TDs some short shrift.

NTM

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement