Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWII TANK MMO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

From the other thread:

German TDs would historically be a defensive weapon.

I've rarely had a scout manage to track me. Two reasons. Firstly, I'm pretty good with my gun, and there's a better chance I'll track the scout before he gets to me. Even better if I'm somewhere near the artillery: If he's coming towards the Arty, he's coming towards me too, making the shot easier. (It gets even better if the scout is a Luchs or Stuart, and I'm in a Hetzer 105: He won't know what hit him). Secondly, TDs tend to be a secondary target for the scout: They'll generally ignore me anyway if they're in the vicinity of an artillery piece. If I'm distant from them, then if the scout comes by me first, there's nothing to distract him.

I'm not saying that a good Medium isn't a good way of protecting the arty, at least against lights, but I think you're giving the TDs some short shrift.

NTM

Historically yes, but in the game no IMO.

If in your TD you don't hit the scout before it passes outside your cone of fire, it will be very difficult for you to turn quickly enough to get another shot off.

IMO a fast medium with good turret traverse is a far better anti-scout tank.

TD's are an excellent anti-heavy platform in the game, as their stable gun platform lends them to accurately hit targets at distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Starting to feel a little jaded with this game already.

Maybe one or two maps have a nice feel the rest don't stand out at all.

No attachment to my tanks or crew. Maybe it's just cos it tries to sell itself as an MMO which it's not in the normal sense, it's more like Battlefield 2 or to a lesser extent TF2. A large reason why we invest time into playing these kind of games is having an avatar that is recognisably yours, that you're attached to and is somewhat unique. WoT doesn't satisfy any of these requirements except on a very superficial basis. There's not imo any significant difference in the tanks and the modes of gameplay.

My main gripe that I mentioned in a previous thread that there is no focus/leadership in the game and it probably just needs clans for this to happen. I was answered by someone saying that everyone knows there 'role' but in about 99.9% of matches I've played so far it's mostly a free for all with everyone running off in different directions regardless of what you're in. Nothing but token concern paid to terrain/choke points. I've seen matches where some people try to organise and it always fails.

I think possibly they need to add more game options and soon. For example multiple Flag point captures A->B->C like TF2. Or one in defence and one in offence and so on and so forth.

I think if after a few days I feel like I've seen all the game has to offer I don't have much hope for its future. I certainly don't see myself buying the game once it manages to go live with v1.0

Oh and artillery. Fun to play as in a detached clicky mappy kinda way but a ****ing nightmare if you're not one of them. It's such a pain in the almighty hole to maneuver (sp?) into a nice ambush spot but once a target is in range and spots you you get insta popped from the sky..... I think at least they need to find a new way for arty to be aimed because in it's current format I just find myself close to punching my monitor.

/semi rant... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭DeWinterZero

Learn the relative ranges of the different types of arty. If your hiding close to your base and its the start of the game you should be safe from arty unless there's high tier arty. Tier 2&3 arty has a range of half the map. T4 has 3/4. Later on in the battle you've to do more shoot and scoot from ambush positions unless your close up against a cliff/building. But you've better do the same if there's higher tier enemy than you about since their view ranges are so much better.

The most fun part of arty is if your team fail and let enemy close to you. Its great when you take out a light/medium at close range via ironsight.. At the tier2 level of arty you frequently are the last remaining tank and have to scout/capture yourself. Higher tier arty is much more limited.

The promised clan wars might fix the lack of leadership/objectives issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

I think if after a few days I feel like I've seen all the game has to offer I don't have much hope for its future. I certainly don't see myself buying the game once it manages to go live with v1.0

its always going to remain free to play, you will have to purchase gold with real money though

you may of seen what the game has to offer in Beta but when the full game is released I am sure more game modes will be available and the clan war map of europe looks like its going to rock, also really like the idea of persistent battles

I take it no-ones interested in joining my team for the US championship?

http://game.worldoftanks.com/teams/59/

• Advertisement

I take it no-ones interested in joining my team for the US championship?

I would love to but its on far to late at night, maybe when the EU server is back

I would if I didn't suck so much. Once you see me in my light tank drive up to the front of a heavy and attempt to take him out you'll understand.

Auvers wrote: »
    I would love to but its on far to late at night, maybe when the EU server is back

Yeah, thought that would be a reason putting a lot of people off alright.
    I would if I didn't suck so much. Once you see me in my light tank drive up to the front of a heavy and attempt to take him out you'll understand.

Its purely for the fun of it, I have no intention of winning or anything!

But I think I can safely leave this competition out, I've only had 1 person interested!

If they start something in the EU then count me in but the US server time is just too late.

If they start something in the EU then count me in but the US server time is just too late.

Unless I feel like being up to the we hours, I might give it a miss myself...
    (seeing as I've no team members, I may not have a choice lol)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

My main gripe that I mentioned in a previous thread that there is no focus/leadership in the game and it probably just needs clans for this to happen. I was answered by someone saying that everyone knows there 'role' but in about 99.9% of matches I've played so far it's mostly a free for all with everyone running off in different directions regardless of what you're in. Nothing but token concern paid to terrain/choke points. I've seen matches where some people try to organise and it always fails.

Whilst it is true that there is a lot of chaos, I've seen a lot more teamwork than the utter lack of planning time seems to imply. Artilley commanders can also work as a C2 node: As they spend more time looking at the mini-map, they can also point out weak points or opportunities, plus they have more time to spend doing so as they're waiting for their cannon to reload. Usually when alerted by highlighted box combined with text message, someone will respond to the requirements. Don't just click on the 'Attention to' box, say "Two eny Panthers in East. Undefended" in the text box, there will usually be an adjustment by unengaged players.
    Oh and artillery. Fun to play as in a detached clicky mappy kinda way but a ****ing nightmare if you're not one of them. It's such a pain in the almighty hole to maneuver (sp?) into a nice ambush spot but once a target is in range and spots you you get insta popped from the sky..... I think at least they need to find a new way for arty to be aimed because in it's current format I just find myself close to punching my monitor.

Actually, I'm kindof OK with the arty as it is. There's nothing quite as satisfying as random halts and changes of direction and watching the incoming artillery miss you by that much. It is true that arty is unrealistically accurate, but they are also unrealistically vulnerable, to make up for it.

My ambush spots also tend to be chosen with protection from indirect in mind.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

Before complaining about artillery, try playing it for a bit. It's not just a case of click and the target dies. Plus if even a scout gets up close to you, 9 times out of 10, you die.

Before complaining about artillery, try playing it for a bit. It's not just a case of click and the target dies. Plus if even a scout gets up close to you, 9 times out of 10, you die.

I hate arty haters.

I play every class in the game, and I have 0 issues with arty. Playing it is very fulfilling, and playing against it adds a whole dynamic that's missing when no arty are on the battlefield.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

i agree with dg, i play every class, and arty can be hell of a lot of fun. plus when you have played as arty you will be a better player with other classes as you know how the arty class works, stick close to buildings so arty cant get you ect.

sorry about last night dg, i was only on for a quickie in my new 3601h before bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

copeyhagen wrote: »
    plus when you have played as arty you will be a better player with other classes as you know how the arty class works, stick close to buildings so arty cant get you ect.

TRUTH

I had trouble with arty until I played as arty and watched how people avoided me, then my dying-to-arty rate went down completely when I was in a tank.

I will say arty WAS overpowered before the patch, this latest patch has reduced its accuracy a bit and arty is much more manageable now.

Gneez wrote: »
    I will say arty WAS overpowered before the patch, this latest patch has reduced its accuracy a bit and arty is much more manageable now.

There are arguments on the WoT board that the decrease in accuracy has resulted in greater numbers of kills on tanks: Playing counter-battery has become a lot more difficult, so instead of holding fire, ignoring spotted tanks and scanning the opposition's artillery areas, the arty players are instead not wasting their time on it and are immediately pounding on anything that pops up on the mini-map. I certainly am guilty of this, I used to spend a lot of the early game not shooting and instead looking for opposition artillery. Now I'm much more likely to get actively involved in the tank fights.

NTM

There are arguments on the WoT board that the decrease in accuracy has resulted in greater numbers of kills on tanks: Playing counter-battery has become a lot more difficult, so instead of holding fire, ignoring spotted tanks and scanning the opposition's artillery areas, the arty players are instead not wasting their time on it and are immediately pounding on anything that pops up on the mini-map. I certainly am guilty of this, I used to spend a lot of the early game not shooting and instead looking for opposition artillery. Now I'm much more likely to get actively involved in the tank fights.

NTM

Same here. Though I do try to put a bit of counter-battery in each game.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭DeWinterZero

I pound the eager beavers and if I'm still alive and my team is ahead I'll start looking for the enemy arty.

And keep an eye on the mini map for threats.

ha, seems i was playing the class wrong, was constantly hitting whatever came up on my minimap!! though i havent had an arty that could reach the other spawn yet, 75% map coverage or thereabouts with su5.

whats the most that can join a platoon?

boards server invasion on friday night?!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

whats the most that can join a platoon?

Only 3 I'm afraid.

• Advertisement

thats a bit sh1t,

maybe if we had a few platoons clicking join battle at same time we might get lucky!

boards server invasion on friday night?!

definitely on for Friday night, I have been saving my gold all week :cool:
    maybe if we had a few platoons clicking join battle at same time we might get lucky!

yep or even a few games against each other

Just jump into the Ireland Channel. Sion, Dodgy? and I had a few rounds last night.

ive been popping in and out, wont be on tonight but ill be on friday night for the evening, will be trying to upgrade the 3601h

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

I fought 230 battles in a PzIV and loved it, upgraded to a Vk3001h and grinded 15 or so fights with it to get a Vk3001p with the intention of getting a Vk3001db, and I can say the vk3001p is a bad ****ing joke, you have to grind 15,000 xp to fit anything extra on it (tracks + new turret) and in its basic config its slow, handles badly and has an awful gun and yet is put in all high tier fights, so you need to fight a good 40 battles in it and it's worse than the PzIV in its basic config, its downright painful to use.

The 3001DB better be worth it because the 3001p is awful so far.

I've heard very good things about the DB, and have been advised to avoid the 'H'

NTM

loved the pz iv too, but its a serious grind to get the 3601h anyway decent.

havent really played much this week but it cost me 475,000 credits or something to buy it, which bankrupted me!! i was in negative equity :D so i sold my ausf a and started to slowly upgrade.

HOPEFULLY tonight ill have the good gun for it, the second one from the top of the list.

maybe then i can start to do some damage

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Found an interesting thread on the WoT forums.

For those who have difficulty in remembering which tank is in which Tier and if you're in a StugIII should you really be trying to hit that IS-3....

This simple modification edits the ingame files to add an icon to the tank name so you can quickly see if its worth taking the shot or if it's time to retreat :)

Ponster wrote: »
    Found an interesting thread on the WoT forums.

For those who have difficulty in remembering which tank is in which Tier and if you're in a StugIII should you really be trying to hit that IS-3....

This simple modification edits the ingame files to add an icon to the tank name so you can quickly see if its worth taking the shot or if it's time to retreat :)

Will take a look when I get home. That's great idea though.

• Advertisement

Not entirely sure I understand the point. I never have any difficulty identifying what I'm shooting at, or what is still 'in play'.

NTM

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement