Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now that is a long run...The continuing adventires of Hunny Monster

Options
  • 30-04-2010 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭

You all know that HM is the Duracell bunny of runners (2 marathons this coming weekend for example). Well it turns out that she’s not just doing it for the good of her health. She’s got a master plan. And this time it doesn’t involve a fire-fighter’s outfit…

No this time she’s decided that running against other runners is old hat and she’s going to try and set a new record. And not just a road race record but a proper Guinness World Record.

Sitting in a bath full of baked beans has been done. Growing the worlds longest toenails seems not to be an option as they keep falling off. The record for most t-shirts worn at one time (121, since you ask) looked good for a while, we were going to use race t-shirts but the fear was the static from all the synthetic fibres was a bit of a fire risk.

So the only option is to attempt to run from Malin Head (in lovely Donegal) to Mizen Head (which is in Cork, but you can’t have everything). In a little over five days. 350ish miles in total. 70ish miles each and every day (pffft, not even 3 full marathons). Against the prevailing winds. I mean, how hard can that be?

Loads of people are helping out – the ever dependable Ger is providing kit (including, I assume, a stylish Pearl Izumi straight-jacket), Vanderlust are giving a camper van free of charge for the week and a whole host of other companies are on the verge of signing up, either for cash or equipment donations.

She’s also being good enough to do the whole thing in aid of The Carers Association – leading to the rather splendid slogan “There to care, every step of the way!” It’s the charity my wife runs in Limerick and North Tipperary so I’ve been roped in to help out. Oh lucky me…

So if anyone has anything they can do to give us a dig out – if you have press contacts to get a bit of coverage, if you have contacts that may be able to provide kit or equipment, if your company have a sponsorship budget looking for a home or if you can get involved (either helping out or just running a bit of the route to keep her company) then please yell.

There will be a blog tracking everything with kick off at first light on May the 21st so keep an eye on that and no doubt we’ll be keeping a running report on here as well.

She’s mad I tell’s ya!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Brilliant! My kids keep commenting on freak pictures in the modern Guinness Book of Records (most celebrities sitting on cart pulled from nipples...), so I'm all in favour of bringing it back to basics- Malin to Mizen is what its all about. Plus, according to my map, its all downhill...Best of luck HM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

I wonder when HM is runing through the various counties could some of us run with her for a few miles for support. I mean HM could support me, keep me going :D

Best fo luck HM

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

baza1976 wrote: »
    I wonder when HM is runing through the various counties could some of us run with her for a few miles for support. I mean HM could support me, keep me going :D

Best fo luck HM

She'll be glad of the company and help. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭aero2k

Unfortunately, my trip to Edinburgh (20th-25th May) conflicts with this - I'm thanking my lucky stars I've escaped raging I won't be able to run a few miles with HM.
    I'll see if I can dig out a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

So if anyone has anything they can do to give us a dig out – if you have press contacts to get a bit of coverage, if you have contacts that may be able to provide kit or equipment, if your company have a sponsorship budget looking for a home or if you can get involved (either helping out or just running a bit of the route to keep her company) then please yell.

There will be a blog tracking everything with kick off at first light on May the 21st so keep an eye on that and no doubt we’ll be keeping a running report on here as well.

Great stuff, is there actually a recorded Guinness World Record for this?

Is the route mapped out, or can you let us know the major towns on route, might help to get people involved if your passing close by ?

• Advertisement

dna_leri wrote: »
    Great stuff, is there actually a recorded Guinness World Record for this?

Is the route mapped out, or can you let us know the major towns on route, might help to get people involved if your passing close by ?

I believe Richard Donovan holds the record for it, for now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

My understanding is that he has run Malin to Mizen but HMs attempt is being sanctioned by the Guinness Book of Records and that there isn't a record recorded by them (that doesn't mean that there is no record just that any record is not a Guinness World Record). They have a particular set of regulations and restrictions that you have to abide by around witnesses, GPS logs and the like and obviously that's a pretty laborious process.

As for the rest there is a route and it will probably go up onto the blogsite but anyone and everyone is welcome as the more independent witnesses we have the easier the certification process is! And if any of you have bright ideas for fundraising off this we'd love to hear them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Thanks for all the good wishes.

Baza, I would love to have you and anyone else along the way to join me for a couple of miles. Running is going to get very lonely on my own and even if anyone doesn't want to run, if you are available to witness a part of the journey (one of the guinness stipulations) of shuttle a support runner we would be very grateful. Drop me a pm and I'll send more details.

The route is not fixed you simply need to get from one point to the other by foot (walking and or running). I've had some help from the cycling forum (particular thanks to Blorg) and the best we've come up with is
    route

Malin head
    Carndonagh
    bypass Quigleys Head
    Muf (entering NI)
    entering Derry
    crossing bridge in Derry
    entering Strabane
    bypass Omagh
    entering Enniskillen
    Bannlinamore
    Longford
    Clogh
    Rathmore (start bypassing Athlone)
    Ballinahone
    Cloghan
    Borisokane
    Nenagh
    Newport (start to go around Limerick City here)
    Cathercomey
    Bruff/Holycross
    Charleville
    Newtown Shandrum
    Tuilladuff
    Kanturk
    Ballymaquirk
    Macroom (masssytown)
    Bantry
    spanish cove
    Mizen Head.

This has been put together with a map and a ruler. If anyone lives along the route and knows a better (i.e. shorter) way or maybe something about road closures etc, please let us know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

WOW, fair play to ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

Whoa, you go girl!!!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Google claim 4 days 15 hours to walk it. Presumably their calculations don't allow for stopping or sleeping though, so 5 and a bit days is an impressive target. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

robinph wrote: »
    Google claim 4 days 15 hours to walk it. Presumably their calculations don't allow for stopping or sleeping though, so 5 and a bit days is an impressive target. :eek:

:O Yes that is impressive!! Hunnymonster, how many hours do you plan to sleep each night? Are you going to take any breaks? Will you eat while running?

lots. best estimate is 6 days for us to make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

OMG! Girl ur a legend. I'l have to check out your route and see if I can catch you along the way somewhere and offer you support. Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

If you'd like a bit of company HM, I'll meet you in Ballinahown (just after Athlone) and run the 16km to Cloghan with you.

fantastic guys

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Rob!

Hey!

Live on the Charleville - Newtown segment of the route! If you need me as witness or just want some support for a few miles along the latter stages of your run, i'd be more than delighted to help out! ;)

Huge thank you to new Boardsie (and fellow Limerick pacer!) runningcoach who runs www.gocycleireland.com and who has stepped up and offered to loan us one of his bikes to us for the length of the run. He's one to watch as he's gathering up his badges and will be running coaching sessions in the near future too...

Don't forget there is a blog as well, the action will really start on the 21st when the run begins but we're doing regular updates

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Best of Luck HM with this endeavour. You are some woman! Also, I have a lieu day to take off work that I'll save for when you are down my neck of the woods. I'll join you in Newport and run towards Limerick with you. That should keep you company for an hour or 2 anyway. Ha a tiny segment of your journey but a whole LSR for me :D Looking forward to it. I'll keep track of your progress as I'm sure most of the ART community will too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Impressive challenge, wish you best of luck, who knows I might get the chance to see you along the route somewhere

• Advertisement

Right a week to go until we start....

Plan is that we will be keeping the main blog updated with general news and stuff and probably with this thread running as well. KC is (I think) going to maintain a page somewhere that will have updates through the day so you can follow progress "live".

Pretty much everything is sorted now (several boxes and bags full of "stuff" were unloaded in Limerick today, HM doesn't travel light!), camper van, bikes, food, sports nutrition, physios & medical equipment lined up and rout maps printed.

The only thing we really need at this point are witnesses, we'll be photographing, videotaping and GPS logging HM as she goes but we need independent witnesses for as much of the route as we can. If you want to run with her that's great but it's not vital, if the route goes anywhere close to you and you can watch her go by and then sign a piece of paper to say so then that would be great. The more of those we have the easier the ratification process will be!

Drop either HM or myself a PM if you want to get involved and we'll sort out the logistics offline, or head over to the blog where there is an email address to talk directly to my boss (MrsA :))

(I found out today that she expects to be fed every 30 mins, so much for my lazy cruise down the country, I reckon I'll be working harder than her..!)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Do you guys want to link to the existing route (Google maps) so we can visualize where exactly HM will be going? There are very few of those towns that would be familiar to me, apart from Longford and Charleville (real city slicker here!).

The Charleville? Wow, you are more sophisticated than I thought....

Big decisions like that I leave to the executive committee. I'm just there to fetch the water bottles ;) If HM doesn't see this thread maybe drop her a PM or MrsA an email?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

It so so Great to see it all coming together...
    What are the rules about me turning up to cycle 20mile stretch?

+1 on what Magnet said.

Really wish I could come along the whole way for the ride as we talked about.
    Still hoping I can get down to join you for part of it.

Suppose I'll just have to wait to my attempt 'next year' (yeah right) to experience this. :D

Magnet wrote: »
    It so so Great to see it all coming together...
    What are the rules about me turning up to cycle 20mile stretch?

I don't want to post MrsA's email on here but it's on the blog or drop me a PM with your email I'll get her to drop you a line. It's a bit of a balancing act - we want people with us for as much as is practical, just to help out and give moral support as much as anything, but obviously we can't have 20 or 30 runners holding up traffic on a major road (or worse getting flattened on a country road) which is why we want to try and coordinate who will be where and when.

But yeah rules on turning up to cycle 20 miles (or all of it RQ ;)) just let us know when & where and turn up! If you are planning an overnight you will need to provide your own accommodation (unless you are tall, blonde, drop dead gorgeous and have the morals of an alley cat)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

fantastic guys

I can join you/verify around the Macroom area on 24th May if that's any help? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

I should be able to jump in with ye for a stretch somewhere between Newport and Herbertstown on Sun 23rd May. I've emailed the Carers Association.
    Wow, does this mean I'll be in the Guinness Book of Records too? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

WOW! best of luck HM. Fair play to you. If anyone can do this you can. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

I have a friend who works in the media (98fm/tv3) - shall I show her this , maybe get some publicity, even sponsorship?

Advertisement