Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - Pre-release Discussion [** NO SPOILERS PLEASE **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Joseph Gordon-Levitt would be my pick

I don't understand why people laud him as a great actor. I thought he was ok in 3rd Rock From The Sun, I walked out of Inception. I don't think he's a bad actor whatsoever, but I'd prefer he wasn't anywhere near this movie, can't imagine him in a single role villain or even an extra.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Dermighty wrote: »
    I don't understand why people laud him as a great actor. I thought he was ok in 3rd Rock From The Sun, I walked out of Inception. I don't think he's a bad actor whatsoever, but I'd prefer he wasn't anywhere near this movie, can't imagine him in a single role villain or even an extra.

I love the net. You hear stuff you'd never thought you'd hear! (I don't mean that sarcastically)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Just saw him playing a villian in Gi Joe and he was awful..although that probably has more to do with the film itself but still. If you walked out of Inception I suggest you forget about the 3rd Batman film if Nolan picks the Riddler as a villian..think it would all be too much for you!!!

TonyD79 wrote: »
    If you walked out of Inception I suggest you forget about the 3rd Batman film if Nolan picks the Riddler as a villian..think it would all be too much for you!!!

...yeah..........

===============================================

I would like to see the Riddler, but I don't think he should be a young character, someone mentioned Ralph Fiennes earlier, he'd be a good choice, Jim Carrey would definitely do a good job, even Robin Williams would be ok. I like William Fichtner as an actor and I think he'd be good in any part they put him in.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭irishjay

id at least wait to see the trailor
    nuttn as bad as hyping myself up for a film.. for example , new predator film........ was poooo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Killinator

I like William Fichtner as an actor and I think he'd be good in any part they put him in.

He was already in the Dark Knight as the bank manager in the opening scene though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Just saw him playing a villian in CGI Joe and he was awful..although that probably has more to do with the film itself but still. If you walked out of Inception I suggest you forget about the 3rd Batman film if Nolan picks the Riddler as a villian..think it would all be too much for you!!!

Sorry had to fix that for you :p

But in all fairness with regards to JGL people often overrate the dramatic perfromances of actors who were previously only known for comedy, I'm like yeh he has another string to his bow fair dues but lets have a little perspective he's good (I thought he was great in Brick) but he's no DeNiro/Pacino .

Killinator wrote: »
    He was already in the Dark Knight as the bank manager in the opening scene though.

I know...what I meant was should they develop his character into some bad guy then great, if he returns as the same character then great. I'd rather see him in the movie than leave him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/thegeekfiles/2009/01/could-william-fichtner-become.html

"Next, the Penguin. William Fichtner. Disregard his bird-like appearance and there's still an abundance of clues. To start with, he's too good of an actor to be signed solely for two minutes as a bank owner.

"Secondly, while breaking into the vault, one of the guys mentions that it's a 'mob bank'. Penguin, in his original role, and in Batman: The Animated Series, is a mob leader.

"Thirdly, he gets shot in the leg which explains the Penguin's limp (meaning his waddling walk?). And finally, the Joker foreshadows the change when he says, "What doesn't kill you makes you stranger", alluding to a change in the bank manager."

Just rumours though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Killinator

Touche:D
    Although when hes shot in the bank scene hes certainly shot in the stomach(whether or not he got hit in the leg I cant tell, but theres clearly a bullet wound on his stomach, you can see the wound clearly just after the Joker reveals his face and Fichtner's character is looking up at him).

Thats said I'm all for seeing Fichtner in any movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Touche:D
    Although when hes shot in the bank scene hes certainly shot in the stomach(whether or not he got hit in the leg I cant tell, but theres clearly a bullet wound on his stomach, you can see the wound clearly just after the Joker reveals his face and Fichtner's character is looking up at him).

Thats said I'm all for seeing Fichtner in any movie.

It makes more sense if its Eric Robert's character.
    He is more defined as a 'mob leader', Batman throws him off a ledge and breaks both his legs, before he gets in the car with Dent, you can already see him waddling and it is possible he survives the car crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Otacon wrote: »
    It makes more sense if its Eric Robert's character.
    He is more defined as a 'mob leader', Batman throws him off a ledge and breaks both his legs, before he gets in the car with Dent, you can already see him waddling and it is possible he survives the car crash.
    Personally I think that fits better. Fichtner was rumoured to be the Mad Hatter, which would be interesting. Also is he the bank manager or a security guard? I always had the impression he was a security guard...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

sprinkles wrote: »
    Also is he the bank manager or a security guard? I always had the impression he was a security guard...

He's credited on IMDB as the Bank Manager.

I'd welcome Fichtner in any role, he's a class act.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Arnold Schwarzenegger as the Ice Man! Have you all got amnesia? He wasn't just a great character, but some great lines like "the ice man cometh!" and "I feel a freeze coming!" - a subtle reference to his very own character.
    jaykhunter wrote: »
    I love the net. You hear stuff you'd never thought you'd hear! (I don't mean that sarcastically)

Funniest thing is I actually think he's for real hahaha

I love the net... and the Inception walk-out guy... brilliant!!

Rumours form the Coventry telegraph hahaha my nite is made with these posts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 stormwarning

I want to see Harley Quinn make an appearance...also I hope they make a Two Face story like the one in Batman The Animated Series someday, because in The Dark Knight His Story Was Weak and Batman Forever Was Just Plain Shocking:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

I want to see Harley Quinn make an appearance...also I hope they make a Two Face story like the one in Batman The Animated Series someday, because in The Dark Knight His Story Was Weak and Batman Forever Was Just Plain Shocking:eek:

Are you mad! the two face story in the Dark Knight was brilliantly done in my opinion. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭fluke

Are you mad! the two face story in the Dark Knight was brilliantly done in my opinion. :confused:

I thought so too and was gonna reply, and realised that the poster above you is a newbie, thus unaware of how boards can get.. so I let 'em off the hook ha ha

Damien Lewis as The Riddler and Eva Green or Kate Beckinsale as Talia al Ghul would be perfect for me... Have it multi-angled again.. The personal conflict with Talia and then the Gotham conflict with The Riddler

Damien Lewis as The Riddler and Eva Green or Kate Beckinsale as Talia al Ghul would be perfect for me... Have it multi-angled again.. The personal conflict with Talia and then the Gotham conflict with The Riddler

I'm all for Talia al Ghul appearing. Much more in favour of her as a female antagonist than say ...Catwoman. I think with her in it the trilogy could come full circle.

Not Kate Beckinsale though...she doesn't have the acting chops. Charlize Theron maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Bring back the Joker, and get Christian Slater to play him, he'd be perfect.
    No Catwoman, or no Robin either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

MJ23 wrote: »
    ... no Robin either.
    Bale has said he'd quit if they introduced a Robin. I suspect he'd a pretty good idea that Nolan has no intention of adding Robin before he said it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

MJ23 wrote: »
    Bring back the Joker, and get Christian Slater to play him, he'd be perfect.
    No Catwoman, or no Robin either.
    :eek:
    OMG no! I hope you're not serious. I really hope Nolan lets the Joker rest in peace and if not I hope he has the good grace to get a decent actor to fill the boots. Having Slater in the film anywhere would be tantamount to bring back Arnie as Mr Freeze.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,465 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I think Bane would be excellent. They haven't really done anyone who could challenge Batman physically except for Ra's Al Ghul. However, Bane would have a fair bit of story which might be a bit too much for 1 film though.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

fluke wrote: »
    I'm all for Talia al Ghul appearing. Much more in favour of her as a female antagonist than say ...Catwoman. I think with her in it the trilogy could come full circle.

Not Kate Beckinsale though...she doesn't have the acting chops. Charlize Theron maybe

Yea maybe not kate Beckinsale but I think Charlize Theron might be too 'big' an actor if you know what I mean. I know Eva Green is huge too but she's more under the radar.

(and I also noticed the the euphimism there :p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I think Bane would be excellent. They haven't really done anyone who could challenge Batman physically except for Ra's Al Ghul. However, Bane would have a fair bit of story which might be a bit too much for 1 film though.

I'm not sure Batman has been all that built up in regards to his fighting ability. I mean, The Joker nearly bested him at the end of TDK.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I'm not sure Batman has been all that built up in regards to his fighting ability. I mean, The Joker nearly bested him at the end of TDK.

You're right, he hasn't been built up in his fighting abilities . On the one hand I think that's because essentially TDK is Batman: Year Two* so he's still learning.

Also, his fighting abilities haven’t really been shown to be superhuman because that’s the nature of the character and Nolan recognises that. Batman's a flawed hero but ultimately that's what is appealing about him. He doesn't win every battle by a stretch. Batman is a human hero. Take the Wolverine and Iron Man 2 movies. Wolverine's invulnerable, he can't age beyond 30 something, he can't die, and he jumps around like a frog, and falls with a scratch that will heal in an hour, and apparently I’m supposed to care about his relationship with his brother because they …hate each other – that movie gives me no reason to invest in him. Iron man 2 plods along with a villain who we're supposed to feel is a match for Iron Man,
    he and his robo-cronies are dealt with fairly easily and the result is less of an engaging climax than a Saturday morning cartoon.

Yes The Joker nearly had his number but that’s what made it exciting. The Joker is a villain that (as Alfred puts it) maybe he didn't even understand. He was a new class of criminal and one Batman wasn't prepared for since this was the first completely out there crazy villain.

Maybe with the third one we’ll see a Batman ready for anything... who knows?

*Not to be confused with the Fear The Reaper story

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,465 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

+1.

It'll be very interesting to see what Nolan comes up with though. The thing I like most about his Batman is how he makes it easy to take these lads in costumes seriously. Iron Man 2 was just abysmal and don't even start me on Wolverine. I can't believe it took this long to make a good comic book movie (referring to BB).
    According to wikipedia, the joker will not be featuring in the film which is probably for the best. It's a shame he offed two-face though. I would have though Dent using his stance as a former DA to help hunt down Batman would have been very interesting.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

As said earlier in the thread, Nolan has made quite clear that he won't be recasting the Joker. I doubt he would have played a big role in the film anyway. The whole Batman/Joker dynamic is pretty much played out in TDK. Although it seems Goyer had an outline for a third film that involved the Joker's trial. However, I think Nolan mined most of that material (like the Harvey-Two Face arc) for use in TDK. But even if we never see the Joker that doesn't mean he can't have some kind of non-physical presence in the third film.

Anyway, I think the Riddler is pretty much a dead cert. He's the kind of character that would appeal to Nolan. Imagine the cat and mouse game in Insomnia mixed with Zodiac and you could have a very effective villain that would really challenge Batman's intellect. I also really like the idea of Talia al Ghul. Given his love of film noir, I'd love to see Nolan do a really good femme fatale, but a lot would depend on the casting. Nolan tends to gravitate towards girl next door types.

As others said, I don't think Bane would work in Nolan's universe, but the story in Knightfall would still make an good source of inspiration.

I was reading the thread earlier but got quite sick of people going on and on about recasting the joker. I wrote TDK off immediately when I saw a pic of Ledger's joker so I'd trust Nolan completely and not judge his decision until at least having seen the trailer. Catwoman could be interesting. I actually think Kate Beckinsale might ok for the part as well.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Cant see catwoman being in any Nolan films. He has already said there will be no Robin. I would imagine he would have a similar feeling towards her. Too cartoony and unbelievable. There are plenty of escaped patients from Arkham to use. The Riddler(as a true psycho not a bunny boiler like in Batman Forever), the Penguin, (as a tough as a tough as nails Mob Boss, not a penguin-human mutant) or the Ventriloquist, (as some one who is very obviously seriously disturbed) would be excellent characters.

Advertisement