Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - Pre-release Discussion [** NO SPOILERS PLEASE **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Anakin.S

Thomas "Tommy" Elliot (AKA 'Hush') was a childhood friend of Bruce Wayne's. He targets both Batman and Bruce Wayne. Although Hush's name originates from a nursery rhyme, Hush lives up to it by using manipulation and guile instead of noisy "signatures". He is often described as a manipulative and deceitful "anti-Batman". - from Wiki

I like the idea of a competitor of Bruce Wayne to come in to compete on a business level and also be helping the police track down Batman with less than honourable methods. With only Jim Gordon knowing the truth about Batman he will be left in an interesting position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭fluke

Anakin.S wrote: »
    Thomas "Tommy" Elliot (AKA 'Hush') was a childhood friend of Bruce Wayne's. He targets both Batman and Bruce Wayne. Although Hush's name originates from a nursery rhyme, Hush lives up to it by using manipulation and guile instead of noisy "signatures". He is often described as a manipulative and deceitful "anti-Batman". - from Wiki

As soon as I read anti-Batman I thought of this:

killer-moth.jpg

I'm the Goddamn Killer Moth bitch!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I thought of Deathstroke. He even has his own butler and mansion!
    583575-deathstroke_large.jpg
    Actually, screw Riddler. Use Deathstroke!

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

I thought of Deathstroke. He even has his own butler and mansion!
    583575-deathstroke_large.jpg
    Actually, screw Riddler. Use Deathstroke!

Deathstroke rules!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

syklops wrote: »
    Cant see catwoman being in any Nolan films. He has already said there will be no Robin. I would imagine he would have a similar feeling towards her. Too cartoony and unbelievable. There are plenty of escaped patients from Arkham to use. The Riddler(as a true psycho not a bunny boiler like in Batman Forever), the Penguin, (as a tough as a tough as nails Mob Boss, not a penguin-human mutant) or the Ventriloquist, (as some one who is very obviously seriously disturbed) would be excellent characters.

Hope the Catwoman is not used or the Penguin - would ruin the film , not even Nolan imo could rescue that .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

the_monkey wrote: »
    Hope the Catwoman is not used or the Penguin - would ruin the film , not even Nolan imo could rescue that .

While I agree about Catwoman, I think Penguin could be a good villain if he is portrayed as his original character, which was a Gentleman of Crime.

It was only Tim Burton who came up with a nutty penguin/man hybrid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The Penguin has to be one of the most pointless Batman villains. He's just a fat criminal. He has no point or any interesting aspects to him whatsoever. I don't think even Nolan could make a decent Batman if the Penguin was the villain.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I know everyone thinks Catwoman would be too cartoonish but it would all depend on how Nolan handles it, and he of all directors could find a way of making it work. If he did go down that route then I vote Marion Cottilard (Nolan tends to work with some of the same actors again) for Catwoman, the red blooded male side of me wants this to happen:)

Penguin as rival mob boss could be great. Someone who comes in and takes complete control of the mob while Batman is being villainised by Gotham and giving him a bigger challenge in bringing down the local mob.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

the_monkey wrote: »

If they used the comic book versions and not Tim Burtons ones it would work, Catwoman is just a catburglar, she wasnt reincarnated by being nibbled by kittehs and Penguin isnt a mutated bird man, thats just Burtons kooky visions, thank christ he never got to make Superman, probably would have given him a black and white stripey cape and the Fortress of Solitude would be full of ice sculptures or something :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Hyndsy85

I know everyone thinks Catwoman would be too cartoonish but it would all depend on how Nolan handles it, and he of all directors could find a way of making it work. If he did go down that route then I vote Marion Cottilard (Nolan tends to work with some of the same actors again) for Catwoman, the red blooded male side of me wants this to happen:)

Penguin as rival mob boss could be great. Someone who comes in and takes complete control of the mob while Batman is being villainised by Gotham and giving him a bigger challenge in bringing down the local mob.

Completely agree with your choice of Marion Cottilard for Catwoman. Has the sexual panache and acting chops to pull it off.

Although i cant see catwoman being a main villan. Used in a role like TwoFace was could work

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    If they used the comic book versions and not Tim Burtons ones it would work, Catwoman is just a catburglar, she wasnt reincarnated by being nibbled by kittehs and Penguin isnt a mutated bird man, thats just Burtons kooky visions, thank christ he never got to make Superman, probably would have given him a black and white stripey cape and the Fortress of Solitude would be full of ice sculptures or something :rolleyes:

I'll be forever appalled as to how he was allowed to do what he did to the Joker.
    Black Mask and Catwoman could be an interesting combination. In the comics,
    Black Mask made the mistake of assuming that Catwoman adhered to a no-kill rule when he started killing her loved ones before she ended up killing him.
    Could be an interesting option...

H. H. Asquith

I'll be forever appalled as to how he was allowed to do what he did to the Joker.

I didn't think Burton's treatment of The Joker or The Penguin were too bad actually. On the other hand Selina Kyle being brought back to life from cats nibbling on her was a really really idiotic thing... why that was in it I just...ugh I remember seeing Batman Returns as a kid and I had trouble with that scene. A couple of years after its release I watched it with older relatives and I squirmed thinking I don't buy this shit, why should they?

As bad as Schumacher was with his Batman treatment I look back now and think he and Burton were quite comparable. Aside from the first Burton Batman movie, the others have that studio set look, had really OTT sets, and had female villains come to life through no plausible logic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

Eva Green for Catwoman!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭nosco

krudler wrote: »

Burtons Batman 1 was brilliant. Very different to Nolans, but very very good in its own right. Keaton was arguably a better batman too. Very surprised to see it getting stick on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

nosco wrote: »
    Burtons Batman 1 was brilliant. Very different to Nolans, but very very good in its own right. Keaton was arguably a better batman too. Very surprised to see it getting stick on here.

Same here, I loved both of Burton's films and found them to be absolutely fascinating. And to be honest, I found his version of the Penguin the most interesting version of the character to date in any medium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

nosco wrote: »

Thought Burton's two Batman films were excellent.Disappointed to read Keaton only dropped out of the third film at the last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

zimovain wrote: »
    Eva Green for Catwoman!!

No no Eva Green for Talia al Ghul!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 animalhuger

Batman should be ilegal!:P

It just pained me to see the Joker being portrayed as a lovestruck gangster as the agent of chaos he truly is. And the catwoman thing was truly painful. Nearly as painful as that Halle Berry flick.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

I hope the homeless guy from BB is in it, I'm curious as to what happened to the coat:P

• Advertisement

TheTosh wrote: »
    I hope the homeless guy from BB is in it, I'm curious as to what happened to the coat:P

It was a nice coat.

This is what Jett over on Batman-on-Film says:
    As far as an announcement, it'll come via the trades before the end of 2010.

I hate when people make generalised and vague predictions and then gloat when their "scoop" inevitably comes to fruition. What a chancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 tonyob2

I reckon clay face, Victor fries, and Soloman Grundy will be in this film. Just kidding of course..

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭RoRoCullen

Wooo :D The day after it comes out I'll be twenty! Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Craven99

Not sure if this has been mentioned on this thread already - and I am too busy to read the entire thing until laster but I would love to see Nolan directing The Dark Knight Returns as the Batman 3 film. I know it wouldn't happen as it would essentially kill off the franchise but I am a fan boy and thats what I would like

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Craven99 wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been mentioned on this thread already - and I am too busy to read the entire thing until laster but I would love to see Nolan directing The Dark Knight Returns as the Batman 3 film. I know it wouldn't happen as it would essentially kill off the franchise but I am a fan boy and thats what I would like
    It influenced The Dark Knight, he said as much, but I can't imagine a faithful adaptation ever being made now. It's too much a product of its times, and too unfriendly to the kind of audiences you need to pay for a blockbuster. Also it features Superman. And Robin. And Christian Bale would have to grow a moustache! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 baileymay

Joesph Gordon Levitt better play the riddler.

And Cillain Sexpot Murphy beter be back!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I know it was discussed a bit a few pages back, but I just watched the animated 'Under the Red Hood'. Pretty decent, some good scenes - my personal favourite being
    when the Black Mask is recruiting The Joker in Arkham Asylum. Joker's swift killing of all the henchmen was class.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Craven99

mikhail wrote: »
    It influenced The Dark Knight, he said as much, but I can't imagine a faithful adaptation ever being made now. It's too much a product of its times, and too unfriendly to the kind of audiences you need to pay for a blockbuster. Also it features Superman. And Robin. And Christian Bale would have to grow a moustache! ;)

Yeah - there is no way they would be bringing that to the screen - very much an 80's story BUT we are not unlike the situation we were in int he 80's, crazy ass wars, recession, corruption etc.
    Far to Audience unfriendly though - I agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭RoRoCullen

baileymay wrote: »
    And Cillain Sexpot Murphy beter be back!

I second that!

Advertisement