Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - Pre-release Discussion [** NO SPOILERS PLEASE **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Definitely, the team behind marketing TDK did a second to none job. Also, Nolan has put himself in a position where he's beyond studio interference so I'm really expecting him to deliver a special film to round off this trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

I dunno im more cynical and I think that the whole Heath Ledger thing really buffed up the figures for TDK hugely... on a small scale I had my mother who went to see the film jsut to see his performance and not because she had any real interest in Batman or I dont even think she saw Batman Begins, anyway thats just one small example. But from the whole 'Red Label' tabloid papers and thrash womens mags going on and on about it just solely because of Ledger I cant really see this film capturing the imagination of such a wide spectrum again....

Open to be proven wrong though, I dont really mind about numbers though once its a brilliant film.

Those people you describe went to see the film once. They don't seriously register on the scale of people that went to see TDK. It's the people who went to see the film repeatedly that had more of an affect.

Well you'ld be willing to right off a few hundred thousand maybe even a few million viewers which translates into huge turnover and profit on the balance sheet just because they only seen the film once?

If you appled that formula to nearly every film then there would never be a market for any film. You can seriously suggest that the people who only seen it in the cinema once dont matter?

Well you'ld be willing to right off a few hundred thousand maybe even a few million viewers which translates into huge turnover and profit on the balance sheet just because they only seen the film once?

If you appled that formula to nearly every film then there would never be a market for any film. You can seriously suggest that the people who only seen it in the cinema once dont matter?

I'm not saying their contribution doesn't matter, just that their contribution is miniscule. Some fanboys saw this film about 30 times, they are the ones who significantly contributed to the box office money TDK made.

• Advertisement

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I'm not saying their contribution doesn't matter, just that their contribution is miniscule. Some fanboys saw this film about 30 times, they are the ones who significantly contributed to the box office money TDK made.

True true. 30 is actually nuts I seen it 3 times mostly because 1st time I was literally in row A arching my head up and side to side like trying to follow a game of tennis.

Still dont think after all is said and done this will break the records and capture the imagination of regular non-comic book, non-batman/superhero flicks, due to the crazy circumstances surrounding TDK, but sure only time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Some fanboys saw this film about 30 times, they are the ones who significantly contributed to the box office money TDK made.
    Are there really that many people who saw it 30 times? I'm sceptical about the fanboy-effect - i'm sure the amount of fanboys who saw the film (3+ times or whatever) are far outweighed by the number of joe public that saw the film. As mentioned above, I also reckon the Ledger factor also played a large part in the number of average punters going to see it just once, who wouldn't normally bother.

Anyways, anyone else just finished watching Batman Begins on ITV2 there? It still holds up very well, and I can't wait to see what improvements Nolan has planned for the foundations of the southeast corner of Wayne Manor ;)

Vokes wrote: »
    Are there really that many people who saw it 30 times? I'm sceptical about the fanboy-effect - i'm sure the fanboys who saw the film are far outweighed by the number of joe public that saw the film. As mentioned above, I also reckon the Ledger factor also played a large part in the number of average punters going to see it just once, who wouldn't normally bother.

Anyways, anyone else just finished watching Batman Begins on ITV2 there? It still holds up very well, and I can't wait to see what improvements Nolan has planned for the foundations of the southeast corner of Wayne Manor ;)

In general though, fanboys were the ones who contributed highly to the box office numbers. Some saw it 30 times, some saw it 20 times, and some saw it 10 times. I myself saw it 3 times in the cinema and I'm not even a fanboy. Thus, I think the Heath Ledger affect is overstated. Fanboys went to see it constantly because they couldn't get enough of the fact that their favourite superhero had redefined a genre, it's a badge of honour for them.

And personally, I prefer BB to TDK. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

someone saw TDK 30 times in the cinema??

Not even Titanic or Avatar enjoyed that level of anarchism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭leinsterrugby

Wacker wrote: »
    I'd cast Vincent Cassel myself.

LA HAINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 aidofar

LA HAINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and "Mesrine part 1 & 2"

Definately agree with your choice the man is an unbelievably talented actor!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

In general though, fanboys were the ones who contributed highly to the box office numbers. Some saw it 30 times, some saw it 20 times, and some saw it 10 times. I myself saw it 3 times in the cinema and I'm not even a fanboy. Thus, I think the Heath Ledger affect is overstated. Fanboys went to see it constantly because they couldn't get enough of the fact that their favourite superhero had redefined a genre, it's a badge of honour for them.

And personally, I prefer BB to TDK. ;)

What are you talking about? The amount of loons who would go see a movie 20-30 times is miniscule and wouldnt even register on the box office scale. Where a movie like this breaks records is when it appeals to as broad an audience as possible .. kids, adults, teenagers, superhero fans, action fans, crime fans etc etc. Add to that the Heath Ledger effect and you have a record breaker. Repeated viewings of 2 - 3 times may also have had an effect but none more so than with Titantic, The Matrix etc.

Playboy wrote: »
    What are you talking about? The amount of loons who would go see a movie 20-30 times is miniscule and wouldnt even register on the box office scale. Where a movie like this breaks records is when it appeals to as broad an audience as possible .. kids, adults, teenagers, superhero fans, action fans, crime fans etc etc. Add to that the Heath Ledger effect and you have a record breaker. Repeated viewings of 2 - 3 times may also have had an effect but none more so than with Titantic, The Matrix etc.

You've missed the point.

How many times would this "broad audience" see the film? Once, twice at most. It's the people who went to repeated viewings that made the difference. **** all saw it 30 times, that doesn't mean that there aren't people who haven't seen it repeatedly. The general audience wouldn't have seen it repeatedly, thus their contribution is miniscule. Seeing a film once when it comes to breaking box office records doesn't register on the scale.

You've missed the point.

How many times would this "broad audience" see the film? Once, twice at most. It's the people who went to repeated viewings that made the difference. **** all saw it 30 times, that doesn't mean that there aren't people who haven't seen it repeatedly. The general audience wouldn't have seen it repeatedly, thus their contribution is miniscule. Seeing a film once when it comes to breaking box office records doesn't register on the scale.

Really? Millions of people seeing a movie once but their contribution is miniscule. I think you have spent a little too much time on the forum you moderate. The vast majority of the movies revenue will have come from a broad audience seeing the movie once. A small minority of people saw the movie in the cinema repeatedly... for instance if you took a sample of people who went to the see the movie. Say 10,000 people... and if 1000 of those people (been extremely generous with 10%) saw the movie 3 times then you still have only 3000 tickets against 10,000 tickets. I fail to see how you come up with the idea that fan boys who saw the movie a few times account for the majority of the box office. TDK is a movie that nearly everyone you speak to has seen in the cinema .. thats why it broke records.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Two years for some hype? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Hyndsy85

What i find funny is how people are coming up with their casting opinions.

back in May when iron man 2 came out people were on about sam rockwell to be cast as the villan. Now inception has come out and people are on about, joseph gordon-levitt and Dicaprio as possible villans

Playboy wrote: »
    I think you have spent a little too much time on the forum you moderate.

I stopped reading after that, take your trolling elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭nosco

You've missed the point.

Couldn't agree less. The repeat viewers certainly do NOT create the critical mass that deems a movie a hit or not. Its the popularity of the movie that drives many many people to go to the cinema that accounts for the numbers. Not the percentage who see it twice, or 30 times(nobody in the world i would wager, but anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Hyndsy85 wrote: »
    What i find funny is how people are coming up with their casting opinions.

back in May when iron man 2 came out people were on about sam rockwell to be cast as the villan. Now inception has come out and people are on about, joseph gordon-levitt and Dicaprio as possible villans
    I vaguely recall one post about Rockwell. There have been a few about Di Caprio all right. However, Gordon-Levitt has been a popular choice for some time; people were going on about his resemblance to Ledger and suggesting him as a possible recasting of the Joker ages ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

You are all talking about the casting of a movie that hasn't even be written yet.
    These are all rumours at best. We won't be hearing anything about casting till a little closer to filming.
    If any of these rumours do turn out to be true, it's only because every actor in the world was rumoured. You throw enough darts, you eventually hit the bullseye.

• Advertisement

Liamario wrote: »
    You are all talking about the casting of a movie that hasn't even be written yet.

Work on the script started before the Dark Knight hit theatres, David Goyer and Nolan both at this stage have at least a few drafts of the script wrote.

Like I said, two years to go so just relax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Renn wrote: »
    Like I said, two years to go so just relax.

I think they probably heard you the first time. No need to keep repeating yourself.

I don't think they did, hence me repeating myself. Afaik, other movies are being released between now and July 20, 2012.

I don't think they did, hence me repeating myself. Afaik, other movies are being released between now and July 20, 2012.

Perhaps they chose to ignore you?

This thread was obviously created to discuss this movie. If you'd rather discuss another movie perhaps another thread would be more to your liking?

Nah I'd rather discuss the pointlessness of discussing this one, thx.

Nah I'd rather discuss the pointlessness of discussing this one, thx.

In your opinion it's pointless. To the people looking forward to the film it's not.

I stopped reading after that, take your trolling elsewhere.

? Just a little over sensitive are we? I'm certainly not trolling, how about you address the point in my post instead of avoiding it. Your post was an incoherant rant that didnt make sense... i really dont know where you came up with that theory of yours but its wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a258703/batman-3-to-film-in-new-orleans.html

Christopher Nolan could reportedly shoot part of the third Batman film in New Orleans.

According to Comic Book Resources, studio Warner Bros is looking to take advantage of the tax incentives the city has to offer movie studios.

Warner recently wrapped production on The Green Lantern in New Orleans and apparently wants to keep its relationship with the city's filming office.

If a deal goes through, almost half of the principal photography on the next Batman movie will take place in New Orleans.

Nolan's sequel to The Dark Knight is expected to begin production between March and April 2011 for a summer 2012 release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

rebecca hall or emily blunt as catwoman ;)

Advertisement