Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - Pre-release Discussion [** NO SPOILERS PLEASE **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

why would they be worried about transformers? i think the next nolan directed batman would have very little to fear in that department

i dont mind waiting a couple of years for quality, looking forward to inception as well

in regards to villains i hope they dont include the joker in any major capacity, i'd rather they invented their own rather than add the likes of the penguin or riddler unless they can do it and keep the tone

p.s. nuts to anyone suggesting robin should be added, guarantee he wont do it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭thebossanova

I have every faith in Nolan to make all the right decisions with regard to the batman franchise. He has so far! He's not Michael Bay after all, as had been said.

With regards release date, it's no surprise. They're not worried about competing against other films (the next Star Trek is set for '12 afaik, which will also be hugely anticipated!), they simply need the time to produce an outstanding film. CG films are requiring more time these days for production now because of the detail they're going into. Although Nolan's batman's aren't huge on the CG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I'd like to see the Clock King as a villain for Batman 3. Perhaps not the main villain but he'd certainly fit in well in Nolan's 'verse, I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

EDIT: I'd personally like to see Joseph Gordon Levitt as The Joker if they brought back the character.. an actor that impresses me more and more with each role he takes on![/QUOTE]

Love him too! He was brilliant in (500) Days of Summer but as the joker I dunno? Unlikely to be picked but we'll see!

Come to think of it....GREAT CHOICE! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Love him too! He was brilliant in (300) Days of Summer but as the joker I dunno? Unlikely to be picked but we'll see!

I preferred him in (500) Days of Summer.

I think he's too lightweight for a batman movie. I've seen him in a few things now and I can't take him seriously in any of them. He did seem well suited for the OTT tongue-in-cheek style of GI Joe however. Just not NolanBatman.

• Advertisement

bonerm wrote: »

I think he's too lightweight for a batman movie. I've seen him in a few things now and I can't take him seriously in any of them. He did seem well suited for the OTT tongue-in-cheek style of GI Joe however. Just not NolanBatman.

He has gien a number of superb performances in very adult films such as Mysterious Skin, The Lookout, Stop-Loss and Miracle at St. Anna. He is a highly talented actor whom is at home in summer blockbusters as he is in small indie or adult dramas.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

bonerm wrote: »

Hardy har har! sorry jeeeez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

How about Kiefer Sutherland for the joker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

I'd cast Vincent Cassel myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Wacker wrote: »
    I'd cast Vincent Cassel myself.

He'd be a good Black Mask IMO. My dream choice would be Joaquin Phoenix, but unfortunately he's a bit nuts these days. :(

It will be interesting to see what decision Nolan makes in regards to the Joker. I don't think he is the kind of director who'd be willing to rip up well thought out plans. If he felt the Joker had a role to play in B3 I can't see him back-tracking on that and I can well see him recasting the role. Nolan said expanding the universe is not what he has in mind for B3 so I can very much see him using the pieces that he has already positioned within this franchise.

I don't think Ledger would be happy to see Nolan compromise his plans for his sake.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

You know I'm not big into the comics or anything but I would like to see a villan who is harder then batman, someone who can take him like!

Was there anyone like that?

Anyway, someone suggested here before that the joker could Take up like Hannibal type role in prision for the next one. Be interesing IMHO, I. Wouldn't like to see someone else's take on the joker, not for ledgers memory or anything just it wouldn't make sense in terms of the story ya know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

cable842 wrote: »
    I just think is that 4 years is a long time too wait for fans and ordinary people.

I think they were thinking about next year but they don't want too go up against Transformers.
    Holding off Batman because they were afraid of a Transformers movie?

Thank you for the best laugh I have had in - I forget how long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭cypharius

I'm glad that they're taking their time, it's the last in the trilogy, so I want it to be epic. Hopefully they won't sell out to those fools who can't watch a film longer then 70 minutes, I want a good long story like the first 2.

ziedth wrote: »
    You know I'm not big into the comics or anything but I would like to see a villan who is harder then batman, someone who can take him like!

Was there anyone like that?

Well there's Bane, he broke Bruce's back before, which led to a painstaking rehabilitation.

Within this world however you could make a case for anyone beating Bats. The Joker nearly had his number in TDK FFS. :pac:
    Anyway, someone suggested here before that the joker could Take up like Hannibal type role in prision for the next one. Be interesing IMHO, I. Wouldn't like to see someone else's take on the joker, not for ledgers memory or anything just it wouldn't make sense in terms of the story ya know?

That could well work, especially if the bad guy is the Riddler and he's staying one step ahead of Batman.

I know what you mean in regards to the story, it would be a pretty big break in continuity if they recasted the role of the Joker. I mean even though he's only had one appearance he's still a defining part of this franchise, whereas Rachel Dawes was a bit player. That's why it was easier to recast that role from Holmes to Gyllenhaal.

EDIT We all know Transformers' quality is questionable, but it's still a box office juggernaut I believe. I'm not sure what would win among the kid demographic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Joseph Gordon Levitt for The Joker if he returns:
    jogolev.jpg
    1. He looks like Ledger
    2. He worked with Ledger before
    3. He's working with Nolan already for Inception
    4. He could totally pull it off

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

3rd rock guy? It depends if he's a good enough actor!

jaykhunter wrote: »
    3rd rock guy? It depends if he's a good enough actor!

Well, there was a time when Ledger mostly did fluff such as A Knight's Tale and 10 Things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

a smart director like nolan and knowing ledger is long gone now(RIP), i'd say the chances of he wants a joker in the next film is very slim unless someone can really pull the joker off like ledger did. and we all know how hard to beat the performance of that awesomely insane joker. even if ledger is still alive i wouldnt say he will still play a big role in the next film,nolan is defo wanna show us some new stuff!

the riddler or penguin can be good 'real' villians but lets not forget back in the Begins we had the Ra's al Ghul surprise :pac: i am gonna call a wild card like The Ventriloquist, have a big potential if he can gets another decent actor (say,maybe anthony hopkins?!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

I don't suppose there were any easter eggs in the Dark Knight that would hint towards what villians would be in the next one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Is Harvey TwoFace definitely dead? Wouldn't be surprised if he returned...

• Advertisement

I don't suppose there were any easter eggs in the Dark Knight that would hint towards what villians would be in the next one?

Not really. You could say the end suggests that Batman will be the villain, which he can accept until someone new comes onto the scene and starts attributing more serious **** onto Batman's shoulders. He'll have no choice but to clear his name.
    A Neurotic wrote: »
    Is Harvey TwoFace definitely dead? Wouldn't be surprised if he returned...

Nolan told Eckhart that he was dead. :pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

After Dark Knight and Ledger (whom I didn't like at all before TDK) i've complete confidence in Nolan to put on an amazing 3rd installment. So if Nolan picks Tommy i'll be behind him!

I'd imagine Riddler, Penguin have to be at the top of the villain candidates list...maybe then Killer Croc...God they could just make the Arkham Asylum game into a film :) (cutting out half of the bosses ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 8 aidofar

I'm with Darko and Bonerm on this No Johnny Depp please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

2012 can't come fast enough now. 2012 will see The Hobbit, The Avengers, Spiderman reboot and now Batman 3........COOOOOOOLLLLL!!!!

I really hope thye do a build up to this movie through virals and sites on the internet like they did with TDK.

I think a cool idea for the film would to have it set like 6 months after TDK, with Batman in hiding from the public view and away from the law. The Joker is locked up tight on Arkham Asylum, Gordon is enjoying the relatively quiet streets of Gotham as Commissioner. Wayne Manor is is rebuilt and with the lack of Batman activity, Bruce Wayne is now more focused on his company.
    But of course, all this is short lived when Edward Nigma aka The Riddler decides to continue on from The Joker to try and crack The Batman. Leading him down a dark path having to solve insane puzzles to keep Gotham safe while at the same time trying to keep the Police of his back.

Hopefully Arkham Asylum itself will have a big part of the movie and if there was 2 be a second villain in it, I guess the return of Two Face or even Catwoman would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Michael Shannon's performance in Revolutionary Road reminded me very much of Ledger. He only in a small part yet was nominated for an oscar. A few scenes of the Joker locked up in Arkham Asylum would suffice. Not that he looks like him but mroe the way he talks. Dont think Joseph Gordon Levitt would be a good choice at this stage as he looks too young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

TonyD79 wrote: »
    Michael Shannon's performance in Revolutionary Road reminded me very much of Ledger. He only in a small part yet was nominated for an oscar. A few scenes of the Joker locked up in Arkham Asylum would suffice. Not that he looks like him but mroe the way he talks. Dont think Joseph Gordon Levitt would be a good choice at this stage as he looks too young.

He would definetly be a good choice for a villian.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

July 20, 2010 ?? Really ??

They are going to release a sequel to the 5th highest grossing film in history and they are going to pass on the biggest film weekend in America (4th of July weekend) ?

Something is very wrong with this equation.
    At this time, there are no details available regarding the plot or the cast

Sound like someone is fishing for hits on their website.

All sorts of hype and zero substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Holding off Batman because they were afraid of a Transformers movie?

Thank you for the best laugh I have had in - I forget how long.

Those two Transformers movies made over 1.6 billion dollars worldwide between them, they're a box office giant.

Theres only one villain I want for the next movie and thats The Penguin, but not the deformed Tim Burton inspired version, the proper, short fat crime boss , and theres only one person who should play him, Paul Giamatti:

shootem4.jpg

Put on a pile of weight, give him a monacle, away he goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

krudler wrote: »
    Those two Transformers movies made over 1.6 billion dollars worldwide between them, they're a box office giant.

Theres only one villain I want for the next movie and thats The Penguin, but not the deformed Tim Burton inspired version, the proper, short fat crime boss , and theres only one person who should play him, Paul Giamatti:

shootem4.jpg

Put on a pile of weight, give him a monacle, away he goes.
    Batman has been up against crime bosses in both Batman Begins (Carmine Falcone) and The Dark Knight (Sal 'The Boss' Maroni). Time for something new, imo.

The most sensible villain option to me would be a variation of The Riddler, pinning more and more on the already outcast Batman. I would also be disgusted if the Joker wasn't in a sequel; he's too good not to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

basquille wrote: »
    cable842..

Christopher Nolan will be dedicated to 'Inception' until it's release in July.

Batman 3 then needs to be (among other tasks) written, storyboarded, cast, scouted-for-locations, shot, edited, additional SFX and voice-work, promoted etc.

2 years is being optimistic for a film of this scale!

True but Iron Man 2 accomplished it.
    EDIT: I'd personally like to see Joseph Gordon Levitt as The Joker if they brought back the character.. an actor that impresses me more and more with each role he takes on!

Yeah he's a good actor, and now that he's been in Inception he may be in the running.

I personally want to see an intimidating Mafia-type Penguin played by Phillip Seymour Hoffman, after watching Mission Impossible 3 I was reminded how good he is at raising the quality of a film by being a nasty bad-ass.

Robin would work if he was a replacement for Batman---bats is on the run so a new guy takes the reins, they join up near the end. Nothing campy, just a cool tactical duo of highly trained warriors. In fact, Levitt would make an awesome Robin.

Advertisement