Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - Pre-release Discussion [** NO SPOILERS PLEASE **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

coolisin wrote: »
    Having read that review, that is too much fanboi kicking stuff out of the pram without thinking of the other movies, its is all connected and wrapped up from the nolan trilogy, he's saying batman and robin was less of a disappointment? Really?

did he really say that about Batman and Robin? if he did I fear he has something against Nolan?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Comparisons to the two previous films seems pointless given the widely divergent views people have about them.

Anyway, the film continues to get unequivocal raves from some very hard to please critics. Andrew O'Hehir at Salon called it a masterpiece and Kenneth Turan at the LA Times thinks it's Best Picture worthy. Jeff Wells at Hollywood Elsewhere also loved it and he's been sharpening his knives for it for the last month. And yet the geek overlords like Knowles and Devin Faraci are inconsolably disappointed.

It seems to me that the positive critics are embracing this as an alternative to the recent wave of Marvel superhero films, while the Marvel fans are repelled by its seriousness. I've always said this was going to be an issue with Nolan sooner or later. He's a bit too good for this franchise and is probably taking it places that many people aren't comfortable with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

bullvine wrote: »
    did he really say that about Batman and Robin? if he did I fear he has something against Nolan?

Saying it's more dissappointing than B&R is not the same as saying it's not as good as B&R. The hype surrrounding this movie is probably the biggest of any in recent years, did anyone really expect much from Batman & Robin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Why would you think Nolan is "too good for this franchise"? The character has been around since the 40's and written by some very respected writers.

al28283 wrote: »
    Saying it's more dissappointing than B&R is not the same as saying it's not as good as B&R. The hype surrrounding this movie is probably the biggest of any in recent years, did anyone really expect much from Batman & Robin?

Well I was 22 when Batman & Robin came out and I remember it being massively hyped not as much as this but still. Phantom Menace is probably the only one that comes close to this in the hype machine.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Harry Knowles is one of the worst reviewers on the net. A negative review from him is meaningless as is a positive one. Go read his prometheus review, its hilarious.

The Chicago Tribune, The Associated Press, Sky Movies, The San Francisco Chronicle, The Sydney Morning Herald, The Daily Mail, The New York Observer and many others all agree with Knowles, reviewing the film poorly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭coolisin

I remember massive hype around batman and robin, no its not saying the same thing that this is a disappointment, but i think its harsh.

It is the difficult third album.

You will have people who will be disappointed i know a few reviews coming out from yesterdays screening will be poor, but the build up to this has being huge.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Why would you think Nolan is "too good for this franchise"? The character has been around since the 40's and written by some very respected writers.

Nolan isn't too good for the franchise, he's not good enough. The aesthetics and cinematography for The Dark Knight (2008) were just a jerk-off session to Michael Mann's visual identity, only misplaced. The action sequences incoherent.

I'm not sure how that movie got a pass, but it seems this one suffers from the exact same faults yet is being reviewed fairly this time. :confused:

I can't really believe they're pushing the 'turrorism' subplot. Again. Hello 2004.

Border-Rat wrote: »
    The Chicago Tribune, The Associated Press, Sky Movies, The San Francisco Chronicle, The Sydney Morning Herald, The Daily Mail, The New York Observer and many others all agree with Knowles, reviewing the film poorly.

Yea, but your not gonna make everyone happy, I mean MI4 got a massive fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes with very few bad reviews and I thought it was fairly average.

Also, The Prestige got its fair share of Bad Reviews and its arguably Nolans best film!

Nolan isn't too good for the franchise, he's not good enough. The aesthetics and cinematography for The Dark Knight (2008) were just a jerk-off session to Michael Mann's visual identity, only misplaced. The action sequences incoherent.

I'm not sure how that movie got a pass, but it seems this one suffers from the exact same faults yet is being reviewed fairly this time. :confused:

I can't really believe they're pushing the 'turrorism' subplot. Again. Hello 2004.

Honestly... You may not like his films or whatever but like it or not Nolan is far and away the top film maker in Hollywood at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Has anyone else ever been bothered by the fact batman should be tripping up over his massive cape and by how impractical it is generally. I've accepted there are things you need to put aside and not think about but it has annoyed me considering the realistic tone of Nolan's batman.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭SamBrugha

It seems to me that the positive critics are embracing this as an alternative to the recent wave of Marvel superhero films, while the Marvel fans are repelled by its seriousness. I've always said this was going to be an issue with Nolan sooner or later. He's a bit too good for this franchise and is probably taking it places that many people aren't comfortable with.

I would love if Nolan steps over to marvel in a few years to do something, i love marvel and DC on an equal level, but marvel seem completely childish next to Nolan's work. But the fact that it over the top is why like it, the fact that Batman is dark and some what realistic, we love it!

Anyway i've my 5am tickets for Rathmines! Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭SamBrugha

Well I was 22 when Batman & Robin came out and I remember it being massively hyped not as much as this but still. Phantom Menace is probably the only one that comes close to this in the hype machine.

Phantom menace.... I'd the let down from the hype was some what drastic...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I haven't seen hype surrounding a movie like this since the Star Wars prequels and LoTR before that.

It's funny though, I think these movies have done something unique, regardless of how you feel about them, I think they'll be movies of this generation and will be remembered for years, not just as a summer blockbuster trilogy that'll diminish in the sands of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Honestly... You may not like his films or whatever but like it or not Nolan is far and away the top film maker in Hollywood at the moment.

Nolan is a movie maker I enjoy seeing in action but for me personally I prefer how David Fincher, Michael Mann and Martin Scorsese make movies.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm not saying Knowles' reviews are crap because he was dissappointed with the film, I'm saying they're crap because they're crap. What other people say about the film doesn't really change this. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I don't know when to see this movie.
    Not going to see it over the weekend. Cineams would be packed and or no tickets left.

So thinking some afternoon show next week. Possibly week after. I remember watching the dark knight exactly 2 weeks after it came out. Cinema was quite empty :pac:

So anyone else going to see it on a quiet day too?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I don't know when to see this movie.
    Not going to see it over the weekend. Cineams would be packed and or no tickets left.

So thinking some afternoon show next week. Possibly week after. I remember watching the dark knight exactly 2 weeks after it came out. Cineama was quite empty :pac:

So anyone else going to see it on a quiet day too?

Yeah, I'll be avoiding the weekend rush too. Nice quiet cinema sometime next week will do me just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I don't understand the quiet cinema sentiment tbh..

.. if you're surrounded by knackers, then fair enough.

But some of the best fun is audience reaction at a blockbuster and / or horror movie IMO. Seen Cabin In The Woods in a cinema surrounded by absolute drysh*tes and it did somewhat affect my enjoyment of the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Basq wrote: »

But some of the best fun is audience reaction at a blockbuster and / or horror movie IMO. Seen Cabin In The Woods in a cinema surrounded by absolute drysh*tes and it did somewhat affect my enjoyment of the movie.

Completely agree, an audience makes a massive difference to the enjoyment of a movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

For me,
    its the other things that comes with a busy showing. Long waiting lines to buy tickets, long waiting lines to buy popcorn, if you need to go to the toilet you got to shimmy by about 20 people :P When the cinema is empty-ish I can choose where I wanna seat / get a better view.

for me, its just a better experience when its not that busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'm not saying Knowles' reviews are crap because he was dissappointed with the film, I'm saying they're crap because they're crap. What other people say about the film doesn't really change this. :)

Knowles reviews are crap, he spends more time talking about what he did the day of the movie than the movie itself half the time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's a hard one to call. My enjoyment of The Avengers was negatively affected by an audience who seemed to yelp and holler at even the lamest of the film's jokes, out of any proportion with what was going it. It was extremely irritating.

On the other hand, watching The Raid with a bunch of hugely enthusiastic viewers at JDIFF was an infectious and hugely enjoyable experience, and one of the best cinema visits I've ever had.

Guess it depends on how much you're into a film, and whether the rabid audience reaction is a majority or minority. It's probably worse when there's two or three people over-enthusiastic, while the rest of the cinema is shrugging their collective shoulders.

I can see where you're coming from with comedies and horror movies I suppose but audience reaction doesn't affect my enjoyment of a film really. I find film audiences in Ireland pretty subdued anyway, very rare you get applause and that at films here.

lol. Right, I believe you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Knowles was never even close to being a respectable film writer and whatever geek cred he had has been throughly abolished by years of corporate shillary. The simple fact is that had the big moosey received a set invite and an exclusive one-on-one with Nolan he'd be singing a very different tune right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

lol. Right, I believe you.

If you want to torture yourself, read a few of the reviews here.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

It's a hard one to call. My enjoyment of The Avengers was negatively affected by an audience who seemed to yelp and holler at even the lamest of the film's jokes, out of any proportion with what was going it. It was extremely irritating.
    I've clearly been going to the wrong movies.. never experienced this really...

.. was there any African-American people shouting "don't open the door.." etc?

Was that slightly racist? :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Slightly, yes.

I should point out that I'd prefer to watch the vast majority of films with a hushed audience, and they are rare instances where a film demands some audience cheering and jeering. I honestly can't imagine The Dark Knight Rises suiting that type of reaction.

Also hoping that the 5AM screening isn't full of inebriated folk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I've clearly been going to the wrong movies.. never experienced this really...

.. was there any African-American people shouting "don't open the door.." etc?

I've been to the cinema in the States, that stereotype is a stereotype for a reason :pac:

Advertisement