Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - Pre-release Discussion [** NO SPOILERS PLEASE **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Due to popular demand, new thread for those who have seen it: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056705199

Please keep this thread for general thoughts. Specifics in the other thread. Click in at your own peril

Really cannot understand why people are so annoyed to read a few general comments regarding the film. It's not as if knowing that the baddie is a tad bid disappointing will ruin the film. Nor does knowing that it could do with losing 15-25 minutes.

People really need to cop in when it comes to attacking people for posting a few general observations. I've heard from a number of people who were at the press screening and everyone of them was of the opinion that while it's an entertaining film there are a number of problems that stop it short of being a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

trying to watch the Dark Knight but some guy next door is playing his guitar really loud! Fecking Springsteen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

trying to watch the Dark Knight but some guy next door is playing his guitar really loud! Fecking Springsteen!

You live next to Bruce Springsteen? Holy ****!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Harry Knowles gave it a bad review!! like he matters he liked Phantom Menace, Crystal Skull and Green Lantern!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

after seeing the movie last night all i can say is

Enjoy it :)

2 years in this thread good times

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

bullvine wrote: »
    Harry Knowles gave it a bad review!!
    You gotta be kidding me!?

Haven't seen him give a blockbuster a bad review in years!

Did they not send him his bribe of Batman collectibles Batman, Bane, Catwoman and Commissioner Gordon still in shrink-wrap?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭coolisin

Having stopped reading this thread in about April.
    I can come back and say it was an emotional journey, now the discussion begins with why and who did or didn't enjoy it!

Enjoy the movie people!
    I know I did.

Basq wrote: »

Did they not send him his bribe of Batman collectibles Batman, Bane, Catwoman and Commissioner Gordon still in shrink-wrap?

Yeah, mustnt have got his bribe, after all the stuff he got for Green Lantern just shows you where his loyalties come from.

He also gave Inception a terrible review 2 years ago, read into that what you want.

I will make my mind up tomorrow, I was underwhelmed by TDK myself but have more faith is this for some reason.

Garth from Dark Horizons really liked it and I generally agree more with his reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Just 1 more sleep until Batman though some of you won't be sleeping. One advantage of the 5am showing is that all of you will be in the same boat in the cinema.

When i go to my viewing at 8.30 i am shít paranoid that those leaving the 5pm/5.30pm viewing will be lurking around talking loudly about the plot or worse intentionally shouting spoilers.

Basically the scene where Homer is talking to Marge after the empire strikes back.
    "Wow I can believe Darth Vader is Luke Skywalkers Dad"
    "What!!!, YOU JERK!!!

I think headphones may be needed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Just 1 more sleep until Batman though some of you won't be sleeping. One advantage of the 5am showing is that all of you will be in the same boat in the cinema.

When i go to my viewing at 8.30 i am shít paranoid that those leaving the 5pm/5.30pm viewing will be lurking around talking loudly about the plot or worse intentionally shouting spoilers.

Basically the scene where Homer is talking to Marge after the empire strikes back.
    "Wow I can believe Darth Vader is Luke Skywalkers Dad"
    "What!!!, YOU JERK!!!

I think headphones may be needed.
    Since I'm seeing it on Sunday I'll have to go "LALALALALALALALA" every time I hear the word Batman uttered over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Basq wrote: »

Nordlings Review on AICN is much better plus it doesn't give anything away so you can read it without fear of spoilers.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/57107

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Is this film 3D?

I bought tickets for a morning show in Cineworld tomorrow and it doesn't mention anything about 3D.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Is this film 3D?

I bought tickets for a morning show in Cineworld tomorrow and it doesn't mention anything about 3D.
    No...

.. thankfully!

Nolan's not a fan.

Is this film 3D?

How dare you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Is this film 3D?

How dare you

I dont want to watch it in 3D. I find wearing 3D glasses very off putting

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

phil1nj wrote: »
    You probably should wait for the DVD if that's your attitude. You won't be as disappointed then and you mightn't be be seen as a clown for attempting to troll on a cinema pre-release discussion thread.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

So people who don't share your enthusiasm can't comment? I hate hype monkeys. I thought this movie would be profusely over-rated. It is. Nice review;

Profound disappointment. Those are the two words that absolutely encapsulates the feeling I have at this exact moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Roll on 8.40pm in Wexford Omniplex tomorrow night. Think I'll go Saturday or maybe Sunday also, and a couple of times over the following few weeks. Can't wait.
    Have to try stop myself from reading this thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Border-Rat wrote: »
    So people who don't share your enthusiasm can't comment? I hate hype monkeys. I thought this movie would be profusely over-rated. It is. Nice review;

Well your opinion doesn't lend itself credence when you dismiss those of us excited about the movie as 'monkeys', especially when like the rest of us, I presume you also haven't seen the film yet.

It also begs the question: what do you expect to find in a pre-release thread for one of the biggest releases of 2012 other than a generally positive outlook for the movie. Comments like "Will this one be as boring as the last exposition-riddled outing?" isn't exactly a productive contribution, and if you don't share our enthusiasm, don't read this thread. Simples :)

It's like walking into Comic-Con and complaining that it's full of overenthusiastic nerds.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think a bit of reasonable criticism is only to be encouraged, and vastly preferable to unchecked hype. Indeed, going in to a film with the mindset that it might be a tad disappointing is IMO preferable to going in with the assumption that it will be the film of the year.

If you don't want to hear anything at all, or simply want blind positivity, then you really shouldn't be reading a thread on the subject a day or two before release. Nothing I've read yet has dampened my general enthusiasm for seeing the film, but then I've always been happy just to watch a film and make up my own mind. Consensus be damned :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

Sorry if already discussed, but are any cinemas showing Batman Begins & The Dark Knight in lead up to Rises?

As wouldn't mind seeing both again if they were being shown somewhere decent where there'll be a crowd for atmosphere and not just a handful of people.

Having read that review, that is too much fanboi kicking stuff out of the pram without thinking of the other movies, its is all connected and wrapped up from the nolan trilogy, he's saying batman and robin was less of a disappointment? Really?

I think no matter how good it is, its gone leave a few people disappointed. It might be the most anticipated film ever and most of the reviews for it have been hugely positive with the odd one or two being bad. I think the running time is gonna irritate a lot of people personally.

I dont think I have ever read a review from Harry from Aint it cool news and agreed with him. Personally, his opinion of a film means nothing to me.

I have never bothered really reading any of his reviews in years.

But you will be disappointed if you go into it with such a level of anticipation as he appears to have had, and attacking nolan?

And name dropping.

I know i enjoyed it immensely, with the anticipation you will be slightly disappointed as you'll have built the movie up too much.

Why i have avoided every piece of media the last couple of weeks, i didn't want to be let down.

There is points that may annoy you, as with every movie.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Harry Knowles is one of the worst reviewers on the net. A negative review from him is meaningless as is a positive one. Go read his prometheus review, its hilarious.

Here's a nice 3D painting:

batman.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think a bit of reasonable criticism is only to be encouraged, and vastly preferable to unchecked hype. Indeed, going in to a film with the mindset that it might be a tad disappointing is IMO preferable to going in with the assumption that it will be the film of the year.

If you don't want to hear anything at all, or simply want blind positivity, then you really shouldn't be reading a thread on the subject a day or two before release. Nothing I've read yet has dampened my general enthusiasm for seeing the film, but then I've always been happy just to watch a film and make up my own mind. Consensus be damned :)

I only have a problem between criticism for the sake of it, and constructive criticism. The Dark Knight wasn't perfect by any means, and that knowledge alone tempers my enthusiasm. And if a person hated the first two movies overall, then it's fair to ask what you'd be doing in a pre-release thread for the third installment - the ship has long since sailed

Edit: and yes, +1 for the opinions of Harry Knowles. They are not worth the paper they're printed on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

coolisin wrote: »
    I have never bothered really reading any of his reviews in years.

But you will be disappointed if you go into it with such a level of anticipation as he appears to have had, and attacking nolan?

And name dropping.

I know i enjoyed it immensely, with the anticipation you will be slightly disappointed as you'll have built the movie up too much.

Why i have avoided every piece of media the last couple of weeks, i didn't want to be let down.

There is points that may annoy you, as with every movie.

How would you rate it compared to the previous two? Is it best of the Trilogy?

This is not spoiling the movie at all:

one of his complaints is that the building falling down forming the batman symbols never happen and was only promo material effectively.

Ill see what he says about Prometheus.
    Don't really want to be giving his website any extra traffic.

How would you rate it compared to the previous two? Is it best of the Trilogy?

No that honor is batman begins in my mind, the dark knight is great and this is close to the dark knight, but its a different movie.
    Dont want to say too much, its not better then the dark knight either.

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    I only have a problem between criticism for the sake of it, and constructive criticism. The Dark Knight wasn't perfect by any means, and that knowledge alone tempers my enthusiasm. And if a person hated the first two movies overall, then it's fair to ask what you'd be doing in a pre-release thread for the third installment - the ship has long since sailed

Edit: and yes, +1 for the opinions of Harry Knowles. They are not worth the paper they're printed on.

I went into TDK with massive expectations and was let down understandably. I expected too much from it. I watched it last night again. Its got some terribles moments in it but the sum of its parts are just too great and it is a magnifcent film.

Advertisement