Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - Pre-release Discussion [** NO SPOILERS PLEASE **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

i think that is just a preliminary advanced booking schedule. I think they did the same with Spiderman. I expect to see many more screenings scheduled by Friday.
    You were correct sir! 25 screenings. I'll be there early on Friday morning, going to the first show in screen 17. Bloody excited!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I'm assuming it's not just me but every where I look on the internet, there seem to be reviews etc cropping up that have the potential to act as spoilers... :D I'm not sure if i'll have to only use the internet for the steam sales this week so as to avoid spoliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

mmcn90 wrote: »
    Going to BB & TDK tonight in Odeon Point Village!! Can't wait. Why aren't the Odeon PV showing a 6am screening in iSense :mad:

Going to see both of these in Bristol tonight. Oooh getting close now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Going to the 23:15 show in Mahon Point Cork with a few buddies, cant wait really at this stage.

Going to avoid clicking on nything Batman related that day. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Well I was able snag a few tickets for iSense on Sunday at the point. With the mixed reviews of the cinema I'm hoping I won't regret my decision. I believe they serve popcorn with butter :D

Lads, that ain't butter.

Also, can anyone tell me if Fines review has spoilers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

"This may be the darkest, the grimmest, the most depressing summer popcorn movie ever. It is not summery. It is not popcorny... This is a beast of a film... a beast that has us all in its red and rageful glare."

This review makes me feel that all will be right with the movie. So hyped now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭splashthecash

And with that....I unfollow this thread and my internet blackout begins

I will be entering no further entertainment sections of any newspapers\forums\websites until I get home from the iSense next Monday night.

Enjoy all - THE FIRE RISES!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

Let the moratorium begin.
    See ye on the otherside folks, enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

So, this is gonna be the highest grossing film of all time, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

I hope so. That smurph doesn't deserve to have top spot at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭redmond08

Cineworld are showing the 9.10 and 12.50 in screen 17, rang them there 10 mins ago. I pre booked my tickets over a month ago and 12.50 was the earlyest time that you could pre book. So thank god its in screen 17 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

I dunno TBH, I would like it to be but I cant see it beating the novelty / family appeal of Pochahontis... ah hem..I mean Avatar.

Would be a trumph of good direction, acting, story , cinematography, sound design, art direction etc over novelty attraction movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Technically, the highest grossing film of all time is Gone With The Wind. You can't fairly compare films from years gone by without taking inflation into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

As with a lot of people I think it is time to drop out of this thread until Friday afternoon. Just read back through the first few pages of this thread and some of the guesses as to what direction the movie would take range from the ludicrous (Johnny Depp Riddler and Daniel Day Lewis Joker) to the interesting (Joeseph Gordon Levitt as Joker or possibly including Hush). Guess it shows how damaged Bane was that nobody considered him, and how good a job he has done that everybody is so psyched to see him.

Anyway, enjoy it people.

P.S....I still stand by my idea that the movie should have featured Rachel Dawes, who had survived her explosion and had a case of Stockholm Syndrome and was now Harley Quinn.:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Not to dampen the excitement, but it's worth remembering that Prometheus was generally very well received by critics as well but didn't go down too well with the die hard fans. I think the film is going to be far more divisive than the early reactions would suggest. David Poland may be right when he says Nolan has drifted too far from the comics in terms of tone and theme for this to be accepted with the sort of love that welcomed the previous films.

Having said that, I'm reasonably satisfied based on the reviews to date that I won't be disappointed. However, I reckon all the death threats and crap is going to result in a fair few negative reviews from critics wanting to make it clear that they won't be bullied by anonymous internet fanboys. RT have said they plan to implement Facebook-based comments to counter foaming at the mouth keyboard warriors who revel in being anonymous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    Technically, the highest grossing film of all time is Gone With The Wind. You can't fairly compare films from years gone by without taking inflation into account.

does that include all the money they have made since their release?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

Not to dampen the excitement, but it's worth remembering that Prometheus was generally very well received by critics as well but didn't go down too well with the die hard fans.

Do you think? If I remember correctly, Prometheus was given fairly luke warm reviews. A few 4 stars floating about but I kind of knew I was going to be disappointed before I saw it having glimpsed at a good few 3 star reviews. TDKR seems to be getting 5 stars all over the place. Which makes me think that maybe it'll live up to the hype. I'm going to go and see it anyway. If doesn't live up to expectations then at least I know never to listen to, not just the hype, but reviewers as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,780 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah.. I thought Prometheus was largely quite mixed to negatively recieved by critics meself!

EDIT: http://www.metro.co.uk/film/900788-first-prometheus-reviews-mixed-ahead-of-films-world-premiere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

How to Cope With a Negative 'Dark Knight Rises' Review (LOL)
    http://www.movies.com/movie-news/coping-with-a-dark-knight-rises-negative-review/8805

Editor in Chief of Rotten Tomatoes weighs in about those comments and reviews.
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/news/1925558/mobile/

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I dont think it'll have much issue pasing the $1bn mark but it doesnt have the family friendly appeal of The Avengers, plus no 3D. will find out soon though :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Turtyturd wrote: »
    As with a lot of people I think it is time to drop out of this thread until Friday afternoon. Just read back through the first few pages of this thread and some of the guesses as to what direction the movie would take range from the ludicrous (Johnny Depp Riddler and Daniel Day Lewis Joker) to the interesting (Joeseph Gordon Levitt as Joker or possibly including Hush). Guess it shows how damaged Bane was that nobody considered him, and how good a job he has done that everybody is so psyched to see him.

Anyway, enjoy it people.

P.S....I still stand by my idea that the movie should have featured Rachel Dawes, who had survived her explosion and had a case of Stockholm Syndrome and was now Harley Quinn.:D

Come to think of it, I would have proposed Walton Goggins for The Riddler, if Nolan had gone down that route...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

old hippy wrote: »
    Come to think of it, I would have proposed Walton Goggins for The Riddler, if Nolan had gone down that route...

Shane Vendrell? Ha ha, good one
    What about Vic Mackey as Penguin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

eeeeeeeee reading the non-spoilerific reviews that were posted on the other page have made me even more excited!!

Is anyone else going to the 5am screening in Bundoran?

Seriously considering it.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Do you think? If I remember correctly, Prometheus was given fairly luke warm reviews. A few 4 stars floating about but I kind of knew I was going to be disappointed before I saw it having glimpsed at a good few 3 star reviews. TDKR seems to be getting 5 stars all over the place. Which makes me think that maybe it'll live up to the hype. I'm going to go and see it anyway. If doesn't live up to expectations then at least I know never to listen to, not just the hype, but reviewers as well.
    Basq wrote: »
    Yeah.. I thought Prometheus was largely quite mixed to negatively recieved by critics meself!

EDIT: http://www.metro.co.uk/film/900788-first-prometheus-reviews-mixed-ahead-of-films-world-premiere

Prometheus didn't receive as many raves as TDKR has received so far, but it still got a lot of positive reviews from critics who were very complementary while still acknowledging its flaws. The hard core fan reaction was rather negative in comparison. Critics don't get as caught up in the hype over these films and tend to be a little more objective, I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

MJ23 wrote: »
    Shane Vendrell? Ha ha, good one
    What about Vic Mackey as Penguin?

Actually, was thinking more of his role in "Justified" than "The Shield"...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Have my 23:40pm ticket booked for VUE cinema in Liffey Valley on Friday.
    Wanted to see it with as less people in the cinema as possible so this time should help with that. Less distractions. Get home from work at 4. Go to bed around 7. Snooze till 10. Then get my ass to mars. Cannot wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Done something similar with Newbridge.
    Booked the 23.30 show. Was on earlier in the night, but on smaller screens (and the 9.00 o clock is nearly fully booked), so booked it on the 2nd biggest screen in there. Can not wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭Zardoz

My local cinema has no late showing for the film at all,very disappointing.
    I wonder how much a private screening would cost ,god be with the days I'd have private screenings when I worked in the cinema .:)

Ebert's decidedly mixed 3-star review is now up. He complains that it's too serious and hasn't enough Batman. He also thinks Bane is a poor villain and the plot is confusing. But he thinks other people will like it.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120717/REVIEWS/120719981

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Positive review from SKy News

Advertisement