Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The road to a 1:2X Half Mara.....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

shels4ever wrote: »
    Finished with a nice red patch on my T-shirt... Do nipples grow back ? ;)
    AHHHH, I can feel your pain, and it gets worse when you get into the shower:eek: Make sure you dab some sudocream on them, if they got infected you'd be in bigger trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

gerard65 wrote: »
    if they got infected you'd be in bigger trouble.

jesus i never tought of infected nipples :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

can you imagine green gunk leeking from them, oh man i'm gona puke. anybody ever got a nipple infection ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

jesus i never tought of infected nipples :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

can you imagine green gunk leeking from them, oh man i'm gona puke. anybody ever got a nipple infection ???
    Sounds nasty, not sure if i've heard of many runners having a nipple removed due to infection...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Sounds nasty, not sure if i've heard of many runners having a nipple removed due to infection...

Might help with the power to weight ratio - it's not like you need them!

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Might help with the power to weight ratio - it's not like you need them!

Speak for yourself ;) I'll hang on to mine for now ....

• Advertisement

Do nipples grow back ? ;)

By the way they definitely do grow back.

A while back I kept forgetting to buy plasters and was wearing Disney princess on mine. Not because I like Disney princess mind you they were just the only ones in the house, someone had bought them for the mrs as a joke. Anyway I took of the t-shirt one day after a long run in the club house and was having a conversation with a couple of the lads. Didn't kop what they were smirking about for a while.

Monday 16th August
    6 miles very easy today. Didn't run with Garmin or watch today so no idea of pace or time.

Tuesday 17th August

6 mile fartlek session tonight, Started a bit faster then I wanted but slowed the pace to get the reps at about 7:30 pace, first couple were sub 7 but felt ok. Didn't want to push it too hard tonight with the race on Sunday but needed to get used to running sub 8 min pace again.

Wed 18th August.
    Rest day today, Decided to take today off and I find it takes me a few days to recover from a rest day. Don't really like to taper for races at all and find I run better if I have run the days before a race, so plan is just to do 3-4 easy miles tomororw and Friday. Legs have felt a bit tired this week so will play it by ear.

Thursday 19th August.

4 miles very easy. Was bit by some mutant mosquitoe while running and I'm not the prowd owner of a popeye forearms. Can just about move my hand now... that was some mad f**ing bite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭foleyalan

Tuesday 17th August

6 mile fartlek session tonight, Started a bit faster then I wanted but slowed the pace to get the reps at about 7:30 pace, first couple were sub 7 but felt ok. Didn't want to push it too hard tonight with the race on Sunday but needed to get used to running sub 8 min pace again.

Howaya if your starting to do Fartlek now how about joining me on Thursday mornings in the Castle?

foleyalan wrote: »
    Howaya if your starting to do Fartlek now how about joining me on Thursday mornings in the Castle?

Might do that, if you can keep up? ;). At the moment I'm just going to keep with the one fast day a week but in a couple of week might add in a tempo and see how it goes. Thinking of Waterford in December for a trip away if you fancy going?

Friday 20th August.
    3 miles very easy, found it very hard to run today pace maybe was too slow and felt really tired. This seems to be a common thing when I'm doing less really shouldnt have tapered for this run at all .

10 mile pb as its stands is a shocking 1:42 so if I dont' run a pb tomorrow i'll just give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

10 mile pb as its stands is a shocking 1:42 so if I dont' run a pb tomorrow i'll just give up.

Best of luck tomorrow! Nice to know that there's such a high probability of getting a PB :cool:

xebec wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow! Nice to know that there's such a high probability of getting a PB :cool:

Cheers but I don't really count as a good pb, just like my last 5mile race, Should have raced more last year when i was going well, would have run sub 75 i'm sure for 10 miles.

Today I had expected either two things to happen 1. Find out i'm fitter then expected or 2. That I'm not as fit as expected. It turns out to be the latter . Race plan was really simple run 1 mile easy check the watch and then run another 7 miles at that pace then try to race the last 2.

Got to mile 1 8:30 felt alot easier then expected and was passing a lot of people in the first wave. Legs were a little tired but nothing to bad. Mile 2 was 8:31 so was mile 3, mile 4 and 5 were 8:31, 8:29 and mile 6 was have a guess....at this point I was starting to find the running a little harder but picked a cute bum and stuck in there, was hoping to get to 8/8.5 then up the pace. Hit the hour mark and legs were starting to tire but wasnt too worried until i felt twing in my right calf (feck) kept on push up to the next water station and both legs were fecked I was cramping up on a poxy 10 mile race....Took some water and walked 100m or so then started again but now it wasjust a matter of getting to the finish. Got there in the end in 88 mins not a happy camper .

But on the plus side legs are ok no injury think i've an idea of my LT pace now and will work on that over the next few months. Moral of the story is lots and lot more miles needed and a couple of tempo runs . It was going to be a pb no matter what but was after a 20 min pbbut will have to settle for 14 mins..:(

Actually happy enough now as I havent races in about 5 months . Will use the half marathon next month to keep the mileage up.

Well after today I'm planning on racing more and getting back into the swing of things. Need to get my long runs upto the 14-15 mark over the next month and keep them at that level for ever. So the Half marathon is now on the cards going to register for this and just use it as a fast long run, Should be capable of a pb again but wont be by much, will need to check what my pb is but think its the one from carlingford last year .

Lots of races coming up and really thinking about racing the 2 mile on Wed now.

Sunday 22 August.
    Rest day, Actually felt like i've run a marathon havent felt this tired ever,
    Spent the day witht he foam roller and watching the Dubs bottle it . This was really the kick in the ass that I needed to start hurting myself a bit more in training .

Sunday 22 August.
    Spent the day witht he foam roller and watching the Dubs bottle it . This was really the kick in the ass that I needed to start hurting myself a bit more in training .

I'm fooked as well. Ten miles really kicks the $hit out of you. basically 10k pace for 10 miles. 4-6 weeks of biweekly club sessions a long run and recovery miles in between are what you need to push on, the foundations are there just a little more quality needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Sunday 22 August.

Pretty wrecked as well. Didn't do a single mile yesterday... Thought I was being encouraging when I met you during the race, but in hindsight it might not have been what you wanted to hear - apologies!! (Didn't realise you had started in the first wave so figured our times were much closer.)

Bring on XC season now is all I'm saying, this LSR stuff isn't holding the same interest for me any more.

• Advertisement

xebec wrote: »
    Pretty wrecked as well. Didn't do a single mile yesterday... Thought I was being encouraging when I met you during the race, but in hindsight it might not have been what you wanted to hear - apologies!! (Didn't realise you had started in the first wave so figured our times were much closer.)

Bring on XC season now is all I'm saying, this LSR stuff isn't holding the same interest for me any more.

You were grand, started at the very back of the first wave as though 85 would have been an ok run, you looked to be going well on the day but come the XC i'm going to teach you a lesson ;) .

I know what you mean about the long stuff but it does really help your shorter races.

Monday 23 August.

6 miles easy after work today, Plan was to keep it really handy as i've been feeling very tired. First 3 miles were really slow but then found it hard to slow the pace, stopped twice to stretch just to slow myself down. Got back to the car at 6 miles but didnt want to stop but did. Really enjoyed todays run and over the last couple of days any problem with my claf seems to have vanished.... Will skip the session tomorrow and just do some easy miles .

Have to meet somoene at the BHAA race on Wed but I know I shouldnt race.

Have picked the next couple of races now and the plan is

Sept 11th BHAA 10k - Not racing full out but just want to get close to the 48 min mark.

Sept 18th Half marathon - Just going to take a couple or second of my pb but more like a LSR.

Then October 9th First real race going to give it sox....

Tuesday 24th August.
    6 miles easy tonight, Would usually do a session on tuesday but after Sat i'm going to give it 5-6 days befor doing anything faster.
    Pace was slow today but wasnt worried about that. It's actually the first run in months that I didnt even notice my calf, mostly due to all the other pain.....

Wed 25th August.
    Rest day today. Legs almost feel back to normal butplanned to take today off. Will see how work going and if I get out early might do a couple of miles this evening and take Tomorrow off.

Just tracked down my half marathon (13.3 miles :( course was long) pb as 01:59:42 So that will be the target for the half marathon now, Should run that without too much of a problem. Then get back into some faster stuff :)...

Pulled out of the 2 mile race today after 800m after the second lap felt a shooting pain down my right calf again :( and that was it. Felt like I was going ok at the time.

On the drive home I decided to give up running , but that wont happen. Iced and strapped up now so will see how things are tomorrow....

This keeps happening once I go faster then 7 min/mile pace...

One the plus side pace was feeling easy @6:30 but then again it would have been lap 5-8 that would have hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭foleyalan

Sorry to hear about the race. Your training was going so well. Hey just wondering if you warm up at all and if you do, maybe you need to spend more time at it?? . You are dame unlucky with all the injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

This keeps happening once I go faster then 7 min/mile pace...

Shels, I suffered from the exact same injury, always happening when running faster. For three years I put up with the repeated cycle of starting to train, geting fit, racing, straining my calf, frustrating forced rest through injury, loss of fitness, back to training, etc...

Got to a physio this year, and have found it has helped hugely. It has helped me to identify the source of my problem and eliminate it, rather than treat just the problem itself. Might be worth a try to find the source rather than rest and find it goes again in the future. Happy to PM you details if you wish.

figs wrote: »
    Shels, I suffered from the exact same injury, always happening when running faster. For three years I put up with the repeated cycle of starting to train, geting fit, racing, straining my calf, frustrating forced rest through injury, loss of fitness, back to training, etc...

Got to a physio this year, and have found it has helped hugely. It has helped me to identify the source of my problem and eliminate it, rather than treat just the problem itself. Might be worth a try to find the source rather than rest and find it goes again in the future. Happy to PM you details if you wish.

Cheers though I had it sorted last time, Will be booking in with a physio today to have a look at it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Hopefully you get the calf sorted, but if i was you id consider cycling or triathlon (longer races). At the very least stay away from short fast races and focus on longer running races if you cant get rid of it/are afraid of heartbreak when you spend ages getting back into shape.

I had to give up football due to a re-occuring hamstring problem so know what its like. Might be worth trying something new.

Advertisement