Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The road to a 1:2X Half Mara.....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Tuesday 6th July.
    Fartlek session today.Meet up with a group today for this session. Havent done ay fast(ish) running really for a long time now so was a little worried about how the calf would handle it. Nice warmup/ strtching followed but lots of reps. Reps ranged from about 45 seconds to 3/4 mins.
    Pace was in around the 7:20/30 pace. Recovey pace slowed later in the session but was very happy with todays run.

Total miles 6.8 for today.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭foleyalan

nice session mark. Going to do some hill reps tomorrow night in howth myself. Your training looks to be going well. Keep it up.

foleyalan wrote: »
    nice session mark. Going to do some hill reps tomorrow night in howth myself. Your training looks to be going well. Keep it up.

Hasn't been going great at all, but have had a consistent couple of week now so should start to get back on track soon. Might even look at doing a race in a couple of week.

Wed 7th July
    4 mile recovery run.
    Woke up this morning and the legs were stiff from the session yesterday, It's that good tired feeling after a propper run. I knew today run would be fun. Got out for a nice warm 4 mile recovery jog on grass at lunch today at a very slow pace.
    Legs are feeling good after that.

Thursday 8th July.
    Was planning on getting my long run down early today as I've a wedding this weekend . But when I got out of the bed today I knew that wasnt going to be an option. Legs very tired still from session on Tuesday . So just set out on an nice easy 6 miles in the park.

Will play it by ear over the weekend and if I dont get a long run in on Sunday i'll do it on Monday.

• Advertisement

Well after a couple of weeks of thinking i've decided to change my training methods. For the last 1-2 years i've been doing all my session and 90% of my miles on my own.

But I think in order to progress I need to be pushed and get into a group. I've joined in with another club for a session this week and going to go back again next week to see how it goes.

I think in order to progress more I'll need a group of people to push me .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

shels4ever wrote: »
    Well after a couple of weeks of thinking i've decided to change my training methods. For the last 1-2 years i've been doing all my session and 90% of my miles on my own.

But I think in order to progress I need to be pushed and get into a group. I've joined in with another club for a session this week and going to go back again next week to see how it goes.

I think in order to progress more I'll need a group of people to push me .....

Best of luck with the new club. Be sure to still retain some independence however as each athlete is unique regarding injury history etc and be sure to take this into account when doing the club session. Im sure it will drive you on and get you back to form

Friday 9th July.
    Rest day today, Managed to leave the house without putting gear into the car today so won't be able to do a sneeky run at lunch today.
    Had to clean the car out last night as the boot is starting to look like some sort of changing room or home to some vagrant.

Weeks running.
    Well this weekend was terrible running wise. Had a wedding on sat so got an easy 6 miles doen very early. After that things went down hill , beer followed by more beer with some beer to finish.

Sunday was spent in the aquatic center with 100's of screaming kids followed this up with more beer just to complete the weekend.

Monday 12th.
    6 miles easy. After the weekend this was a terrible run, body takes a long time to recover after drinking these days.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 13

1.5 mile warm up

5 X 1 min with 1 min recovery
    5 X 2 min with 2 min recovery
    5 x 1 min with 1 min recovery

Felt crap to start today but once I got going ffelt a lot better, Tired mid way through the session but recovered well and the last 3 X 1 min were my fastest of the session without been too crazy,

Total miles today 6.7

Just been having a look over the garmin for last night and session wasnt too mad at all pace was in around the 7:20/7:30 pace for most of the reps and only one over the 7:40 pace. Still wasnt anyway near full out so starting to feel a little better.

I'm going to race on the 23rd just to get an idea of where I stand but would expect to be around the 22 mins for a 5k at the moment.

Wed 14th
    5 miles recovery run today. Legs were so tired today guess yesterday took more out of me then i'd expected. Pace was extra slow today but wasnt worried at all about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

I'm going to race on the 23rd just to get an idea of where I stand but would expect to be around the 22 mins for a 5k at the moment.

Where's the race?

xebec wrote: »
    Where's the race?

It's on in the Pheonix park, have heard its a good race series but havent run one yet.

http://www.phoenixparkrunners.ie/fixtures.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

It's on in the Pheonix park, have heard its a good race series but havent run one yet.

http://www.phoenixparkrunners.ie/fixtures.php

I think they are trail races but have heard positive things about them. Ground is so hard at the moment that it will be close to road conditions anyway

I think they are trail races but have heard positive things about them. Ground is so hard at the moment that it will be close to road conditions anyway

Yep think your right there, Thinks it maybe a 2 x 2.5 k laps too. Just a nice way to start racing again....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Yep think your right there, Thinks it maybe a 2 x 2.5 k laps too. Just a nice way to start racing again....

I did one of these a couple of years ago. Nice race, as you mentioned 2x2.5k with one dip and one short steep rise about 2/3 through each lap. Crowds are quite small but friendly. Not a very fast course but nice running all the same.

Thursday 15th July
    Rest day today Just did a 45 mins cycle and some light weights today to keep active. Easy run tomorrow and sat then long run Sunday.

Poopped down to the park for a couple of easy lunch miles but didnt have runners in the car :( . So going to have to run later tonight now.

• Advertisement

Friday 16th July.
    6 miles this evening @8:25 pace was a little faster then expected but the legs felt good so decided to run a little faster, was alot more in the legs if needed and could have gone one. Took a trip down along the canal today and its a nice run , maybe a few too many bridges and gates but was nice for a change.

Will need to start to think about half marathon pace in a couple of weeks.
    Tomorrow will be a very easy run (bottle of wine coming out tonight.)

Friday 16th July.
    6 miles this evening @8:25 pace was a little faster then expected but the legs felt good so decided to run a little faster, was alot more in the legs if needed and could have gone one. Took a trip down along the canal today and its a nice run , maybe a few too many bridges and gates but was nice for a change.

Will need to start to think about half marathon pace in a couple of weeks.
    Tomorrow will be a very easy run (bottle of wine coming out tonight.)

Have you decided on which Half you plan on doing or are you doing DCM or National Half?

ecoli wrote: »
    Have you decided on which Half you plan on doing or are you doing DCM or National Half?
    Going to do the National half marathon as it falls on a good weekend and i've that week off work. I'd say going on training the Dublin half would prob give me a better result with a couple more weeks training but the plan was always for the national.

Going to do the National half marathon as it falls on a good weekend and i've that week off work. I'd say going on training the Dublin half would prob give me a better result with a couple more weeks training but the plan was always for the national.

Best of luck hopefully it springs you on to a good cross season as i know you love hitting the muck ;)

ecoli wrote: »
    Best of luck hopefully it springs you on to a good cross season as i know you love hitting the muck ;)

Yep fingers crossed come October/Novermber i'll start to run well, always wanted to run the Jerry Farnan race so you never know ....

17th July.
    Very easy run along the beach today. Ran at high tide and with zero wind it was really nice. Used to do my long run here years ago andI remember why its so nice on a good day, but a bad day it can be mean.

4 miles @ I dont know pace.

Sunday 18th July.
    10 miles easy today all on grass found the going a bit harder then the last few 10 milers mostly due to it been on grass i think. Wasn't too worried about pace at all today. Plan is for 12 miles next Sunday.

Monday 19th July

Plan was for an easy 6 miles today which felt really easy after the long run on Sunday actually the legs felt like I had not run for a while. Met TheRoadrunner after 6 miles so joined for another 2 , Had to stop myself at 8 miles (as this is now my mid week long run the day after my actual long run)but could have go on for hours. Legs feel really fresh again today think the wife is putting epo in my cornflakes...

Total 8 miles pace 8:50

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Monday 19th July

Plan was for an easy 6 miles today which felt really easy after the long run on Sunday actually the legs felt like I had not run for a while. Met TheRoadrunner after 6 miles so joined for another 2 , Had to stop myself at 8 miles (as this is now my mid week long run the day after my actual long run)but could have go on for hours. Legs feel really fresh again today think the wife is putting epo in my cornflakes...

Total 8 miles pace 8:50

Great stuff Shels! Cant wait to get back to running myself. Just being extra cautious really as my bone is still achy. XC season is the target ...

• Advertisement

stmochtas wrote: »
    Great stuff Shels! Cant wait to get back to running myself. Just being extra cautious really as my bone is still achy. XC season is the target ...

Well its better but not great... :) Just happy to be back out running and feeling good. Will take another few months to get back in shape but the XC season sounds good at this point.. Rematch @ the Teachers Xc?

Advertisement