Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The road to a 1:2X Half Mara.....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

20th July.
    Plan today was
    5X1 min
    5X2 min
    5X1 min
    Started well and was moving fairly well for the first 3 reps but felt my calf a little tight, Decided then to end the session and just finish a 5 mile easy run. Calf seems ok now and was just been extra careful . I'd rather do lots and lots of easy mile but be able to run then a couple of session and injured. Think I may just focus on the longer races for the next 6 week and bin the 5k on Friday.

Rest day today so will do some cycling/weights tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭foleyalan

shels4ever wrote: »
    Monday 19th July

Plan was for an easy 6 miles today which felt really easy after the long run on Sunday actually the legs felt like I had not run for a while. Met TheRoadrunner after 6 miles so joined for another 2 , Had to stop myself at 8 miles (as this is now my mid week long run the day after my actual long run)but could have go on for hours. Legs feel really fresh again today think the wife is putting epo in my cornflakes...

Total 8 miles pace 8:50

You seem to be flying at the moment. Good going.

foleyalan wrote: »
    You seem to be flying at the moment. Good going.

Not flying at all but getting a few solid week , Hope to have a few good races come the winter. But no way near last years shape yet.....

Thursday.

5 miles easy

Friday
    4.5 miles (felt really bad)

Sat.

11 miles easy , Though felt problems with my calf at 11 miles so stopped. But everything seems to be ok.

On the beer last night so will go for a few easy miles later tonight.

Sunday 25 july

4 miles very very easy. After a late one last night today was just about getting out and getting the beer out of my system.

Just under 38 miles again for the week. Going to book in for sorts massage this week to keep things on track.

Only thing of note from todays run was the fecken dog that tried to take a bit out of me, lucky to manage some gay sort of jump out of the way and a scream at his owner...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I've had a few late ones this weekend that have involved alcohol - makes it difficult the next day alright.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I've had a few late ones this weekend that have involved alcohol - makes it difficult the next day alright.

If i don't get out for a run the day after the chances are i'll miss the next day too, usually have a 2 day hangover these days .

Monday 26th July

6 miles easy today, Still felt like crap today and feel about 10 stone over weight. Was a bit of a slog today but happy to get around. Will turn semi pro for the next few day with no work and be a full time athletic fan, only taking a break from watching to run myself.... :)

Tuesday 27th.

Today met up with a group for a session but todays plan was a bit of a shock. Plan was for a 1 mile time trial to see where we stand. Wasn't expecting this and didnt feel great during the warm up. I've been dropped by the first 5 people during session in the last few week so plan had to be to go of easy and see how it went.

After warm up and a few strides we set up.

Started and I found myself in no mans land after about 50m so was going running ok and relaxed but not working too hard. Lap 1 was about 97 seconds which I was happy with, Still on my own for lap 2 and feeling ok but running faster then I have for about a year , lap 2 3:12 )I think not too sure about that) , Was caught by 2 people on the 3rd lap but wasnt dropped by much. No idea of the 3rd lap split but may have slowed by 3-4 seconds i'd guess. Lap 4 wasnt too bad running ok not too hard and could have pushed on with 200m to go just to pass the 2 in front but was happy just to get around. Time was 6:30 for the mile which is slow enough but I would have taken that at the start.

Effort level was @ about 85% @ a guess I would think i'd run 6:15 ish if racing.

Long way off where I was a year ago but have to say I havent enjoyed running as much in years....

Shake and bake...
    I love track.

Wed 28th July.

6.5 easy miles took it really handy today legs felt tired and abit stiff was only getting into the run when it ended.

• Advertisement

Taking today off as i've noticed that I've run ever day since last Thursday. Body holding up on but had to put back my massage this week untilnext week as he's away.
    Will prob run the 10 mile in the park now just to see where I stand at the momment my pb is 1:42(run/walk) for 10 miles so its going to be a pb no matter what.

Well Just registered for the 10 mile now :)....

Friday 30th July
    Easy 5 miler today, felt a bit strange to start and wanted to keep the pace slow, Needed to stop and stretch in order to keep the pace down today, but by mile 4 I just said feck it and went with the pace. Felt like going longer today but this is an easy week.
    Will start checking on weight from next week but I know i've dropped a couple of kg as my wedding rig keeps falling off now....

Sat 31st July.
    Just unser 5 miles @ 8:25 pace today. Didnt wont to over do it today as planned a nice 12 miler tomorrow morning.

Sunday 1st August.
    Nice 10 mile run this morning around lucan,down the canal to clondalkin and back. Nice route some very small hills to finish. 37 miles for this week which was a bit of a suprise as I had backed off on the miles a little or so I though. In no hurry to ramp up the mileage.

Monday 2nd August.
    6 mils recover run. Have really slowed the pase of these runs down the past few weeks. Today I felt like i could have run all day at that pace. Really nice run conditions perfect and nice little breeze..

Tuesday 3rd August.
    Decided to take Tuesday off this week and not Thursday as I'll have lots of time on Thursday so will get a nice loger run done.

Wed 4th August.

Worst run ever. Yesterday was the worst run ever , just felt sh1t for the whole run. 7 miles @9 min pace shouldnt feel so hard...

Going to keep it all easy for the next week and do a 5k TT next Thurday morning.

Friday August 6th.

5.6 easy miles today, ran with the hrm for the first time today so might keep an eye on this in furure, no idea of my max or ever resting hr at the moment so might need to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

any plans to do the BHAA 3k and 2M this year - hoping to do both myself.

• Advertisement

I would love to be don't trust myslef in track just yet,i'd just push too hard and get injured again, want to get a big basemiles in the legs and give it a realy crack next season, so just the 10 mile and the half marathon for now, before i run the stuff that I like :).

Well witgh work been crazy the last few days and something else coming up I havent even managed a mile in the last 1 days.

But going to get out tonight and don't care if its midnigh when I get to run... It's going to be the same with work until Sat/Sunday so the 10 mile next week is going to be fun. Will need to decided what to do. Not going to run the National Half marathon now as i'm not in the shap I want but will set my half pb late in the year.

Found myslef sitting in my car changing into my running gear at 23:15 last night another crap day with work and on top of that I've a funeral to fit in now tomorrow. Got out of the car and managed about 2 miles before calling it a day night . On the plus side i've managed to get on top of the work and will have a nice free hour later today to run .....

Wed 11th August.
    6 miles hand run around the park, pace was nice and easy but a little faster then I wanted, few days off really does something for the legs.

Today had a planned run with a few new people in work, Trying to get more people out running and get teams out for some BHAA races.

Easy 3 miles around the park then back to work. Think i'm going to pop out again tonight.

Today had a planned run with a few new people in work, Trying to get more people out running and get teams out for some BHAA races.

Easy 3 miles around the park then back to work. Think i'm going to pop out again tonight.

PM 5.5 miles very easy in the park. Just wasn't able to leave it today with just the short run.

Sat 14th August.

5 miles easy enough. Legs felt really good today pace was around the 8:30 pace felt a lot easier then the last number of weeks.
    Will do a 10 tomorrow then a very easy week next week and see how the 10 mile race goes. Have no tempo's done feck all speed work so have no idea what shape i'm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Peckham

Trying to get more people out running and get teams out for some BHAA races.

Nice one. Have been thinking the same in my place, as we've recently merged with another company and the running contingent has increased.

Peckham wrote: »
    Nice one. Have been thinking the same in my place, as we've recently merged with another company and the running contingent has increased.

Yep one thing I find is the word race scares people, But still working on it.

• Advertisement

9.5 miles today around the course for the 10 next week, legs felt very tired from the off . Found it a lot harder then it should have been pace was around the 9 min mark. Course is not too bad at all first 5/6 miles are fast then just 2 miles and a nice fast finish think the key to this race is not over cooking the first 6 miles and have something left after the hills...

Finished with a nice red patch on my T-shirt... Do nipples grow back ? ;)

Advertisement