Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The road to a 1:2X Half Mara.....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Sounds good, gotta lot of weight to lose myself, bout 1.5 stone

I've about 2 to get rid of, but once i get a couple of months good running that will shift.

Wed 26th Sept
    6 miles easy today, didnt feel great on todays run but was nice to get out.

Thursday 23 Sept
    Long day in work and didnt get a chance to get out hate missing days and should have gone out before work. Will start doing an early run if its the case again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

shels4ever wrote: »
    Thursday 23 Sept
    Long day in work and didnt get a chance to get out hate missing days and should have gone out before work. Will start doing an early run if its the case again.

you wrote that post at 9.30. Perfect time to start a late run in my book HTFU :D

you wrote that post at 9.30. Perfect time to start a late run in my book HTFU :D
    Yes but child services would have had a problem with me running at that hour ;)

Have gone to the park later that that some night ;)

• Advertisement

Well after month of injury and just easy running i've finally cracked and decided on a plan to get back into the harder stuff. Main focus is going to be getting my temp runs back into the plan and a weekly club session will be long reps 1-2k the rest will be filled with easy mile, Long run will be fast finish runs ever second week.

I have dug up the plan I was going to use for the nationl have and will use this for Waterford, I'm actually ahead of schedule for once, and jsut need to get my long runs up. Going to be racing all the Bhaa races during the winter where possible and will drop the tempo these week.

Title of the log is 1:2x half but will look to try and just take 15 mins of my pb by December.

Friday 24 Sept
    6 miles easy run today with 6X100m strides.

Sat 25h Sept
    10 miles easy enough around a grass loop in Malahide castle today pace was around the 9 min/mile mark a bit faster then my long runs have been but felt ok . Didn't go to 12 miles as it might have been a little too far at that pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Solid week there Shels - keep up the good work.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Solid week there Shels - keep up the good work.

Thanks, looks like i'll finally get to do some racing this year now :) and for cross country season as well :)

• Advertisement

Sunday 26th Sept
    Decided against running the XC race today but it was hard not to gear-up and go. Legs felt great today and yesterdays run took nothing out of me, actutlly felt fresher today then yesterday.
    Decided i'd do a bit of fartlek today and see how I felt, reps were from between 800m to 1.5 miles.

Total today 5 miles @ 8:02 average pace. (it would be a lie to say over the last rep I wasnt trying to pop below the 8 min mark.)

Monday 27th Sept
    3 mile recovery jog today, felt tired today which was nice, was wondering why I was feeling so good yesterday. Nice and handy 3 miles just to keep the legs moving prior to tomorrows session.

Tuesday 28th Sept.
    Really starting to love these Tuesday session, showing up not knowing what the plan is. Today was 5X800m with 2 min recovery. I was asked if I would like to run with the faster or slower (womens) group today, so I went with the faster group, Might be still a bit away from been able to finish the session with the group but its something to work for.

Made the same mistake as a couple of weeks ago but a bit worse again first rep way way too fast.

1. 3:08 plonker...
    2: 3:17
    3. 3:23
    4: 3:29
    5: 3:25

Was tucked into the back of the group for the first rep, was running too fast, but felt good it's only a matter of time....

Can't believe how i've been feeling the last week

Total mile for the day 6 and some change.

Just checked my garmin and I had one of the reps wrong it was 3:29 :( feck
    Session not including warmup is here
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/51103315

Wed 29th September
    Rest day today, had a little devil telling me to pack my gear and do a lunch time run today, but managed to leave the hosue without gear so i'm safe.....

Thursday 30th Sept
    7 mile handy run around Corkagh park, pace was just over the 9 min mark today. Nice to start to get some longer mid week runs in. Will need to get these to the 9-10 mark before any progress will be made.

Friday 1st October
    3 mile recovery jog today, legs were very tired and only starting to feel good at the end of the run. Long run tomorrow will be a bit faster then normal

Sat 2nd October
    11 miles today in Malaide castle, legs felt tired to start and the first 5 miles was a slog, felt a little better on the second 5 but pushed the pace for 3-4 miles and died at about 9.5 miles. Enjoyed the run all the same.

Sunday 3rd Sept
    5 mile recovery jog today, turned my garmin off after a mile as the pace was slow and wanted to keep it that way. Took it really handy today as the legs were very tired. Only started to feel a little spring in them come the end.

Monday 4th October
    4.5 handy miles after work, pace was handy but weather turned nasty at the end. Can't wait for tomorrows session now.

Tuesday 5th October
    Todays session was a planned 5X800m again but this time I decided to be smart and run it with the slower group. Plan was to keep the splits even and run by feel . Had forgotten my Garmin so no splits myself but working of others times.
    Was out on my own for the fist reps as the rest of the group were a bit adrift, was running really relaxed and easy.
    1. 3:24/5
    2. 3:25

Rep 3 I had company someone stuck to me like glue and then out kicked me with 50m to go, but didnt even try to go with him .

3. 3:24
    4. 3:22
    5 3:17/18

Last rep was a bit of fun the guy running with me went out very hard so I let him go but after 200m I was feeling great so stretched out the legs caught him after 400m and just ran so relaxed over the last 400m . Could have gone alot faster but wanted to keep it controled.

Recovery was 2 mins today, for the first 3 reps this felt way too long , for 4 and 5 it was just right. I would have been able to hit 2 more reps at this pace and recovery today.

Great session today only down side is I've got my calf on ice now, didnt feel anything until I got home. Nothing too bad but just going to watch it over the next few days. Wont risk it in a race at the weekend if there is any problems... it's all about long term now...

• Advertisement

Wed 6th October
    Rest day today, very stiff calf and shin but nothing too major will take it easy the next 2 days. Good thing its not the old injury back it a new pain .. few handy days and i'll be grand.

Thursday 7th October
    Went a bit OTT with the foam roller last night. Have a few little pains but think they are related to running on the track and all the bends etc .

Just going to swim or cycle after work today and give the legs a little rest.

Sat 9th October
    5 easy miles today, took a couple of days off as the calf wasnt 100% and did wont to miss any more time, so a couple days on the bike. Should be ok to get my long run done tomorrow.
    Skipped the race today as it might have been a bit much .

Sunday 10th October
    Though I had a 12 mile planned for today but schedule was for a faster 7 mile run. Wasn't really in the mood for this as was expecting a 12 milers. 7 miles @ 8:30 pace.

Monday 11th October
    6 miles very handy run in the park, weather was amazing and I love running this time of year , ground not too hard, little bit of mud :).

Tuesday 12 October
    AM - 600m swim very very easy as I was all over the place today but havent swam in a couple of week now, going to try and get 2 swims in a week from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Tuesday 12 October
    AM - 600m swim very very easy as I was all over the place today but havent swam in a couple of week now, going to try and get 2 swims in a week from now on.

Some off-season triathlon training?! Are you going to do a Woddle? ;)

xebec wrote: »
    Some off-season triathlon training?! Are you going to do a Woddle? ;)

Nope just a bit of cross training, used to do a good bit of swimming a couple of years ago and managed to get around a few Tri's while clinically obese, but for now it's just to get a few non impact training sessions into my week. I will do a Tri again at some point but want my running to be at a far better level before I even go near one.

Today was a day to forgot, Busy day in work and got away just in time to make the club session, once I arrive noticed that i'd that i'd left my gear bag at my desk in work.
    By the time I drove back got the gear the seassion was just over so decided to do it on my own.

5x800 at 5k pace

1.3:25
    2.3:26
    3 3:25
    4.3:24
    5 3:23

Felt really easy today actually was very controled in my running and recovered quickly. Lights went out on the track after rep one so everything was run in the dark.. Strange strange day

13th October
    Rest day today, have a bit of a head cold so hope to shift it by the weekend, nothing too bad that a few chillies and an early night wont cure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Today was a day to forgot, Busy day in work and got away just in time to make the club session, once I arrive noticed that i'd that i'd left my gear bag at my desk in work.
    By the time I drove back got the gear the seassion was just over so decided to do it on my own.

Fair play to you, must have been hard to motivate yourself on your own
    13th October
    Rest day today, have a bit of a head cold so hope to shift it by the weekend, nothing too bad that a few chillies and an early night wont cure.
    I had a few chillies last night and had the arse blown off me today, don't eat too many!

Advertisement