Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The road to a 1:2X Half Mara.....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

Good to see your back. Good luck;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Last week.
    Monday 40 minutes easy
    Tuesday - Swim
    Wednesday 40 minutes easy
    Thursday 40 minutes easy
    Friday swim
    Saturday 1.5 hour bike , 45 minute run walk.
    Sunday 50 minutes easy - 3 walk breaks

This week seen the return of some running gear, had been to disgusted with my fitness and shape over the last few week to wear actual running gear. Out of more disrespect to real runners because of the state the state I'm in.
    But I kitted up on Sunday and hit corkagh to see if I could get around one lap, really suffered today and had to take 3 walk break for a minute. (maybe the C25k is a better option then a marathon at this point).
    The scales in the bathrobe is now giving out to me each morning and calling me a fat baxtard, I didnt know it was a talking scales when I purchased it, either that or the voices in my head have returned.
    Traveling with work at the moment so today decided to run form the hotel to the park before work, didn't get as far as the park as its 2 miles way and 10 minute miles is about as fast as I can move at the moment. Body feels a bit beat up this week will be hitting the pool tonight but for some reason the hotel have offered me free wine for the evening... feckers...

Miles for the week - Unknown garmin hasn't come out of mothballs yet.

Last week.
    Monday Travel with work so just a swim.
    Tuesday -40 mins along the canal, cold wet windy
    Wednesday 40 minutes easy on grass/mud
    Thursday 30 minutes easy - felt a bit crap today so cut back the time.
    Friday swim
    Saturday 2 hour bike
    Sunday 4.7 miles on grass. Tired slow for the most part. Felt good for a section and picked the pace up slightly but was blowing through my a$% after 5 minutes so when back to my shuffle.

No much of a change this week, Still not running with Garmin and think I will do this until at least the end of January if not for good. Yesterday the body felt a bit tired but managed to potter around one lap of my park, A few post run beers last night has left me a but wrecked today and a silly spice bag on my way home.
    This morning I knew i'd prob not run today, so took the luas to work so I'll be forced to run home. Not looking forward to that now, but hopefully later ill come around.

Having not been on boards much the past while, I jsut had a read of the Running masters log, now looks like I missed out on a lot of fun there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

shels4ever wrote: »
    Having not been on boards much the past while, I jsut had a read of the Running masters log, now looks like I missed out on a lot of fun there :)

Just when we were getting ourselves back together again, you go along and bring it back up ..................

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Just when we were getting ourselves back together again, you go along and bring it back up ..................

:)

Why, what happened?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Don't worry, it's all going to be chronicled in a book! I've preordered on amazon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Sure ask your mate Lord B. He should know ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

menoscemo wrote: »
    Sure ask your mate Lord B. He should know ;)

I think you could be on to something there, I have my suspicions too:)

Monday - 30 minutes easy on the canal
    Tuesday -40 mins along the canal really didn't enjoy this one.
    Wednesday 40 minutes easy on grass/mud, my gear has now relocated to the office locker so lunch time runs have started again.
    Thursday 30 minutes easy - felt a bit crap today so cut back the time.
    Friday swim
    Saturday 60 minute run walk, just felt like getting out for a bit longer today so worked with a 5/2 run walk for an hour.
    Sunday 4.7 miles on grass. Hit Corkagh again this week again for this, Happy to financially run my lap without needing to stop. Pace might have been a bit quick in the mid section but for the first time had some thought of doing a little more but sticking to the plan for now.

Average enough week this week, diet was good most of the time apart from on splurge midweek. I've only dropped about 4lbs so far so a lot more work to do on that front. The plan between now and January is not to have any long run further then 6 miles but work on building up all runs to a minimum of 5 miles. If I can be on 30 miles a week by mid January I'll be happy.

Last week work was a bit mental, so runs were a bit all over the place on location and times.

Monday 40 minutes easy.
    Tuesday - Swim
    Wednesday - 40 minutes on road.
    Thursday - 30 minutes road - Knee a bit sore for an ice skating fall.
    Friday - 40 minutes in the mud.
    Saturday - Hangover
    Sunday - 45 minutes easy.

Still not feeling good and didn't fancy going out for a run today. But a race number decided to show up in the post today so that got me out the door.

• Advertisement

Another mental week in work and fairly poor in the running regard only 4 runs over about 30/40 minutes but its better than nothing. The next two weeks and January should be more organized so will have more structure.

Well a nice Christmas and far to many beers etc kept a check on the weight over the period and i'e dropped 1kg over the last two weeks. Not to bad all things considered. Christmas week only manged 5x 40 minute runs. Still have about 2.5 stone to dorp to be in any sort of shape.

Today run was nice, an easy 45 minutes in Corkagh park, took a bit of a fall on one of the down hill sections thankfully nobody around to see. Lovely evening for a run and the park was empty when I finished in the dark. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed winter running.

Friday 2nd
    Back to work today so a handy 40 minutes at lunch. Starting to feel a bit better on these runs.

Saturday 3rd
    40 minutes along the canal, Was at a christening for the day but manged to stay off the beer, Late enough getting out for this run but glad to get it out of the way.

Sunday 4th
    30 minute slow run, hamstring felt a bit tight today so kept this one short enough.

Monday 5th
    Away with work for the day so a few flight and a long day, was 10pm getting home and took the lazy option and went to bed.

Haven't update in a while, managed to get the flu and miss almost a weeks running , that wasn't ideal but a couple of full days in bed to recover,

Last week still wasn't 100% but back training for the last 10 days.

Monday 19th
    30 minutes easy at lunch time, felt crap but got around.

Tuesday 20th
    40 minutes along the canal, chest wasn't great and took walk break twice.

Wednesday 21st
    Rest - Just went out for an hour walk.

Thursday 22nd
    40 minutes easy along the canal,

Friday 23rd
    Rest - just 1 hours walk in the park.

Saturday 24th
    40 minutes on grass again feeling a bit better but pace very slow.

Sunday 25th
    45 minute run and an hour walk after it. Starting to recover a good bit.

So far 3kg down this month had a target of 3 by month end but wont hit that but should be in the 4.5/5 range.

Monday 27th January
    Bit of a strange run, away with work at the moment and running from a new hotel. Thankfully the hotel had a few running routes mapped so set out on the longest route (5.5 k ). Though I was following the correct route but managed somehow to get lost and run an extra couple of miles in the wrong direction. Usually I'm ok for direction but by the time I got back to the hotel I was shagged. A nice unplanned 80 minute run, but pace was slow to start with and slower to finish so no harm done.

Its been almost a month since I've posted here. I'm starting to develop some consistency but progress has been fairly slow. Log runs have only reach 8 miles so will need to give up on the though of Belfast as the increase in volume would be to quick.

Has some slight issue with the calf last week so reduced the training to 3 runs and 3 cycles last week but things seem to be going well.

Will have a thing about the training over the next few days, as i need to start to add some faster runs things are just to dam slow at the moment.

Things are starting to improve a little have had a nice few week training with 5 runs per week nothing major distance wise longest run been an hour. Legs are very mono paces and have just been plodding around at9:40/10 min mile pace. Not really getting much out of this so needed to shake things up a little.
    Was playing with the idea of some fartlek but think i need a bit of structure and to stick to a plan.So i decided to hit the track today just so I could control what I was doing.

This week.
    Monday
    40 minutes easy with 8 minutes @9 min pace. Have only been plodding for such a long time and 9 minute mile actually felt hard :mad:

Tuesday
    40 minutes Easy on grass
    Wednesday
    45 minutes of grass and path
    Thursday
    1.5 miles easy
    5X400 @ 8 min/mile pace
    1.5 miles easy
    Hand enough run today, pace on warmup was fairly easy and the plan was to do 4x400 @8 min mile pace just to start to get the legs used to running. Legs really enjoyed this lungs not so much. In disgust with my current shape I decided to give myself one extra rep as penance.

I ideally I would like to be doing longer reps but not fit enough at the moment, so will keep doing this session over the next 6 week and hopefully be in a position to switch to 800's or get back down to a club.

Will also be adding time to Mondays session in 2 minute blocks from next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

go down to a club now, what's the point in waiting 6 weeks?

RayCun wrote: »
    go down to a club now, what's the point in waiting 6 weeks?
    Stubborn pride,and I am, libel to go a bit mad if I went down and get injured basically don't trust myself to run with others yet.

Saturday

Couple of beers on Friday night and needed to get out early enough on Saturday for this. Just 40 minutes very easy.

Sunday
    Day off today but ended up on a nice hike/walk up the sugar loaf.

Monday 23rd March
    40 minute slow run along the canal, It was late getting out and I had to force myself out the door.

Tuesday 24th March
    4 miles with 2x1mile tempo/faster plod. Totally shagged after this run today it was enjoyable all the same.

• Advertisement

Sunday
    Day off today but ended up on a nice hike/walk up the sugar loaf.

Mental won't be taking days off! You had better get the finger out!

Mental won't be taking days off! You had better get the finger out!
    Yep he does it by weeks, the finger is well and truly out now.

Yep he does it by weeks, the finger is well and truly out now.

may have to push the head to head back a week so that it's the week after the bank holiday weekend.

may have to push the head to head back a week so that it's the week after the bank holiday weekend.
    the longer away it is the better for me :)

The Last two weeks were fairly good with 6 runs per week. Just starting to increase the mileage and pace a little.
    Weekly mileage is starting to creep towards the 30 range again.

Unfortunately picked up an injury that might keep me out for the next week, with some ankle damage . Ankle black and blue at the moment and still very swollen so will take a few days to know what's going on.

Wednesday 29th April
    15 minutes slow jog, did a real number on the ankle and sell in a bit of pain to touch, but managed a few slow miles just about. Will be taking it very easy for the next few days and hopefully back into something like proper running early next week

Last week
    Monday - 3 miles easy
    Tuesday - 3 miles easy , 1 hour bike
    Wednesday - No running left my bag in the boot of the car in the airport so ended up eating and drinking to much while away with work.
    Thursday - 3 miles easy
    Friday - Have a guess?
    Saturday - 5 miles slow
    Sunday 3 miles easy.

Not a great week volume wise but 6 days running , so hopefully build the habit up over the next few weeks. Need to keep myself away from running talk while drinking as I've managed to talk myself into an 8k track race at the end of august with he loser having to run Dublin. Training plan will be try to lose as much weight by then as possible and run 6 days a week easy and also hope JB is more injury prone and fatter than me on the day. Chances of wining this race are very very slim but I really done fancy 26 miles around Dublin in October.

Tuesday 9th June.
    35 minutes easy in Corkagh again, looks like Spring is finally here and was lovely running condition. Would have loved to be in a better shape to do another few miles but enjoyed this run.

Wednesday
    30 minutes easy at lunch time today to keep the legs ticking over.

This evening a 2 hour cycle as the weather was so nice. over cooked the cycle a bit and was suffering for the last 30 minutes. stupid legs

• Advertisement

30 minutes very slow today , legs are wrecked today so took it really handy. Had though I need to do 4x400m to see what pace I can run and on saturday but wouldn't be able. So need to rest tomorrow and decide if i run or cycle before the Beer mile on Saturday.
    Haven t decided if I'll run really easy and drink hard or run hard drink easy on Saturday :) Think my Beer mile pb is 10:02 last time out but i'm slower and fatter now, but maybe able to drink better :eek: this event is to technical and my head hurts... need a beer.

Advertisement