Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The road to a 1:2X Half Mara.....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

shels4ever wrote: »
    I was the same last night and most of today, can't wait to hit the park later if your about. As for beer, will let you know later but could do with a few :).

No stuck in work until 9 or 10 tonight. Let me know about Saturday/Sunday night and I'll see what the story is at home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Friday 19th November
    45 mins handy on grass again, not feeling 100% but enjoyed the run.

Sat 20th November
    80 mins longish run today. Just felt great today and was very had to keep the pace slow. After 40 mins I felt like i'd been out for a nice walk but pace was a little quicker than planned.
    This tend to happen once I start to get a little bit fitter and lighter but will keep an eye on the pace over the next few weeks.

80 mins @ 8:38

Sunday 20th november
    Very late run after a busy day. Took in the inter XC and if someone had handed me a pair of spikes I would have run. Great condition for a XC race and hope to run this one again next year.

Monday 21st November.

Aprox 50-55 mins easy around Corkagh park. Arrived at the park as at the same time as a guy from work, so did the first 35 mins with him. Didn't wear my garmin today so wasn't worried about pace. Usually this guy would try to drop me but didn't try today. Finished off the last 15 mins on my own. Feeling great...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Aprox 50-55 mins easy around Corkagh park.
    Didn't see you there. Were you around at lunch-time? Very soggy underfoot.

Didn't see you there. Were you around at lunch-time? Very soggy underfoot.

Yep was there from about 12:30 today, actually like these condition :) once it doesnt get any worse.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 22nd November.
    70 mins easy in corkagh park, have been running a little to fast the past while and tried to keep the pace to 9m/m today.Needed to move my week around a bit so will havea very easy run tomorrow and take thursday off.

Thinking of skipping waterford and running a 6 mile race te week before christmas, will just need to get this approved by the gaffer.

70 mins @ 8:58

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Tuesday 22nd November.
    70 mins easy in corkagh park, have been running a little to fast the past while and tried to keep the pace to 9m/m today.Needed to move my week around a bit so will havea very easy run tomorrow and take thursday off.

Thinking of skipping waterford and running a 6 mile race te week before christmas, will just need to get this approved by the gaffer.

70 mins @ 8:58

Are you skipping the race so you can make the beers instead?

menoscemo wrote: »
    Are you skipping the race so you can make the beers instead?

Not the main reason but might be a by product :). If i do race it will mean possible a reduction in training the week before and the week after. So think i might be better to just do an easy 13/14 mile that day. The stage i'm at I think a couple of weeks more base is better for me, Havent been doing any specific half training so it was always going to just a get around race.
    But on the other hand i'm starting to feel good and my half pb really needs a good beating.

Havent updated in a while and think i'll put the log to bed until the real training starts in the new year. Last week had one missed running day due to a funeral and drink but other than that everything is going well.
    Starting to get closer to the 50 mile a week mark and should hit that early in the new year.

Monday 19th
    5.5 miles easy, legs were very tired from a 6 mile race/run on Sunday but feeling ok.

Tuesday 20th
    5 very easy miles, leg actually felt worse today then on Monday, pace was nice and easy.

Wed 21st
    7 miles easy in a very muddy corkagh park, loved this run, 14 degrees with no wind :).

• Advertisement

Thursday 22nd December
    6 miles easy today in Corkagh again, Kept the pace nice and handay but felt really good today. Plan is to start to build up the miles over January and have a nice 12 week marathon program.

The aim for London is just to make the startline and then the finish line , I've gotten to the point that I don't care about time this time round. Need to get one poxy marathon started nevermind finished.

Not planning on any races at all between now and London unless I'm been paced by the gaffer. Last training plan was went almost perfect until mistakes in some shorter races. So eyes are only on London from now on. There will be lots of time to race during the summer anyway.

Friday 23rd December
    7 nice miles today again, had company for the first 5 which was nice.

Sat 24th Dec
    7 miles easy, plan was to get a long run done, but only had 1 hour spare.
    Sunday 25th
    Rest day.

Monday 26th
    4 mile beach run to get rid of the christmas turkey. Tried to drop the bro over the last few miles but that wasnt ever going to happen. Thats hte fast running out of my system for a while.

Tuesday 27th
    5 miles easy on grass today, leg felt great. Had company on todays run again which always makes it easier. Cant wait for someting longer tomorrow.

Wed 28th December
    8 ish miles on grass/road this evening, mixed up this run with 5 miles on grass and 3 mile aprox on road. I think it might have been closer to 8.5 miles in total but felt nice.

Monday 26th
    4 mile beach run to get rid of the christmas turkey. Tried to drop the bro over the last few miles but that wasnt ever going to happen. Thats hte fast running out of my system for a while.

:rolleyes::mad:

:rolleyes::mad:
    I didn't try all that hard ;).

I didn't try all that hard ;).

I heard what pace you were running at!!!! So much for making the start line in one piece!!!!!

I heard what pace you were running at!!!! So much for making the start line in one piece!!!!!

Yep and my plans to race under a false name too ;)

Thursday 29th December
    Rest day today, decided to take today off and run tomorrow as i'll have more time to get to the park and run on grass. Todays run would have been on road.

Friday 30th December
    6.5 miles easy this evening, my great plans of a nice run on grass today were shot down early, with trips to the shopping centre and cinema during the day. Finally managed to get out this evening. Didnt bother with garmin and just did a nice 6.5 out and back along the canal.

• Advertisement

Sat 31st December.

6 handy miles today on grass, really enjoyed this run. Hamstrings felt a bit tight but nothing major. Have just missed out on 1900 miles for the year. But that nearly double last years miles. Has been a good year training wish and apart from one injury at the worst possible time. Next year is going to be a lot better :). No races for the first half of the year and going to skip all the XC races this winter, but once I finish London i'll hope to run some 5k's 10k's and a mind/late summer half marathon.

1st Jan 2012
    11 miles easy this evening, wasnt feeling the best today after a few beers last night. After 2 miles I felt like calling it a day. So left the park at 4 miles and ran as far from my car as possible. A short trip around lucan and back to corkagh to finish off. Glad to get this one out of the way. This has me on track for 4000 miles this year ;).

2nd January 2012
    5 miles recovery today. legs were a little tired today but enjoyed this run.

3rd Jan 2012
    5.7 miles easy today, easy maybe the wrong word, condition under foot was bad, wind was horrible , eased the pace back a bit more then normal, actually turned off the garmin after 2 miles so I wouldnt push it.

Wed 4th Jan
    8 miles from hell tonight, really suffered on today run, wind, rain, some more wind and a bit more wind. Ran an out an back route today and have no idea how both sections can be into the wind :eek:
    Was happy to have this one done today

Thursday 5th Jan
    Rest day

Friday 6th Jan

6 miles of hell legs were tired breathing was all over the place, felt like I was coming down with something. Bed by 9 am hoping to sleep it off.

Sat 7th Jan
    Felt crap, Had planned to do my long run on Sat but wasnt going to risk anything.

Sunday 8th Jan
    Chest was in a heap on Sat night, but felt a little better on Sunday. Still not good enough to run... maybe tomorrow.

Monday 9th Jan
    Still not feeling great, Going to give it one more day to shift this thing.

Tuesday 10th Jan
    4 miles very easy, still not 100% but starting to improve.

Wed 11th Jan
    4 miles easy again, bit more zip in the legs and enegry levels are on the way up, Felt like doing a mile or two more but kept it to 4 mile today.

Wed 11th

Thursday 12th

Friday 13th

Sat 14th
    Decided to move my long run to tomorrow as another day recovery was needed. Have been eating all around me for the last two days(not piles of junk, but dirty bloody steak and veg). Think the body is telling me that it doesnt like been of alcohol...
    5 miles easy , still not feeling as easy as it should be so will play tomorrows long run by ear, if i'm not feeling the love or its too hard will call it a day. Better one bad week then 3-4 weeks sick.

Sunday 15th Jan
    Long run.
    5 miles @ 9:40 pace legs dead , head in a heap , really really pissed off at the moment. Decided to dig out my beer stash from the shed and was just about to open my first bottle when I got a text for the coach...(need to close my windows.) Decided an early night would be a lot better for me than 3-4 bottles of hino.

Monday 16th Jan

5 miles easy around corkagh before work today, Nice day for a run. First enjoyable run in about 2 weeks. Heart rate has dropped down about 8-10 bmp compared to last weeks runs so maybe on the mend.

• Advertisement

This week has been another bad week,(more bad weeks this year than the whole 2011). Though I had recovered early in the week but spent tuesday night with the head in the toliet. Since then been on the mend but really suffered on todays log run. Knew thngs werent right after 2-3 miles but kept going until 8 befor calling it a day, couldn't even manage a jog back to the car.

On the plus side still 40 miles in the bank for the week , a drop of 2kg , still off the beer and no injuries so things could be a lot worse.

Advertisement