Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The road to a 1:2X Half Mara.....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Monday 7th March
    5 very easy miles, Sat's race is still in the legs today so it was nice and handy. Still a little stiff from the spikes so think i'll put them away for the year now unless condition get very very back in the next 2 races.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Can be tough getting used to the spikes.When is the next road race planned?

Can be tough getting used to the spikes.When is the next road race planned?
    Yep spikes were ok but the course was a bit harder to plus running that bit faster put a bit more pressure on the lower leg.

Just going to run the last 2 bhaa races as tempo runs, not racing them then build up the mileage for about 6 week and then run either sportsworld or the RTE 5 miles.

Just really getting the miles up to get ready for some marathon training later in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

good stuff,doing another 9 weeks of base phase myself.Not the most exciting but has to be done.Dublin marathon is it?
    Hopefully going to run Dublin myself,unsure what half to do though,any suggestions?Lokking for one end of june/july.

good stuff,doing another 9 weeks of base phase myself.Not the most exciting but has to be done.Dublin marathon is it?
    Hopefully going to run Dublin myself,unsure what half to do though,any suggestions?Lokking for one end of june/july.
    Nope going to do berlin myself so a month earlier, Have been looking around for Half marathons and the the only one in around that time was lisburn half
    http://www.lisburnhalfmarathon.com/ . but havent done this or know anyone who has.

Seen this on runireland too

http://www.runireland.com/events/strawberry-half-marathon-2011

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Lisburn half is a good one. Cpiple of my friends did it a few years back and I was designated driver. Well organised and a decent field size wise and in terms of competition.

Tuesday 8th March
    5 miles handy today legs still really tired but a lot better then yesterday. Have decided not to race this weekend, will just keep with the base building,

Wed 9th March
    Rest day today, went for a walk in the park just to keep the legs moving. God walking sucks.

Thursday 10th March
    8 miles easy in wind, rain, sun, rain , sun, the only thing that was constent was the wind.. Calf still a little tight so will be on the roam roller again today but shoudnt be any problem as no races planned for a while.

Friday 11th March
    4.5 miles @ 8:40/5 pace. Starting to feel a little better but the legs are still a little stiff. Foamroller/stretching and some ice seem to be working. Glad i decided not to race today, would have just ended up injuerd.

• Advertisement

Sat 12th March
    6 very easy miles today, kept the pace really handy but needed to stop and stretch over the last few miles as I was starting to run a little too fast.
    Legs started to losen up after 4-5 miles.

Sunday 13th March
    10 very handy miles today on grass. Pace was the slowest i've run for a while but the longer the run went the better I felt. Calf feeling a lot better today and almost back to normal. This week has been a real slog and happy to finish the week feeling good.

Monday 14th March
    6 miles easy today @9:30 pace. Best i've felt in a while . Calf felt perfect again but will still keep pace easy for a while.

Tuesday 15th
    7 miles easy today, joined in the club session for warmup and warmdown but just did easy mile in between. Should have gone out on the grass as the track was a little hard on the legs.

Rest day today, was hoping to be able to get a massage this week but looks like it will be next week before I will be able.

Thursday 17th March
    9 miles easy today, Legs felt good today and found it a little hard to keep the pace slow. Stoped twice to stretch the legs out and slow myself down.

Friday 18th March
    7 miles easy @ 9:25 pace today, felt really really good today an wasnt easy keeping the pace down.Would have liked to add another mile to this run but needed to be back at work.

Felt like I could have run all day at this pace, which is a big change from last weeks plods.

shels4ever wrote: »
    Felt like I could have run all day at this pace, which is a big change from last weeks plods.

No post race tiredness ;)

No post race tiredness ;)
    Yep, took a lot more out of me then I though it would.

Sunday 20th March
    12 hungover miles today. Planned to get out for a few miles early today, but the brother was pushing some 7% beers on me last night so didnt manage to get out of the bed.
    Once I got felt great, took it very handy and was happy to get the run done. Legs are feeling really good and enjoying the extra miles now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

12 miles while hungover..that IS impressive!

• Advertisement

maria74 wrote: »
    12 miles while hungover..that IS impressive!

It would have been more impressive if I could have stayed of the drink :)

Monday 21st March
    Felt horrible all day today, work was busy and didnt get out at lunch. almost didnt make it out the door but once I got going felt great. Decided to run a direct 3 mile route away from the office so I didnt get anny ideas of cutting it short.
    First 3 miles was basically down hill and took it really easy, was hard not to run fast,pace picked up a little on the way back so stopped to stretch out the legs(need to find a way to slow down without stopping).

Total 6 miles @9m/m

Tuesday 22 March
    6.5/7 ish miles today, went down to the club early for a session and got a few miles done first. Then 4 X 1000m with 2 mins recovery.
    Legs felt strange tired but couldnt slow down, pace was a little too fast but nothing too crazy.
    1. 4:17
    2. 4:14
    3. 4:15
    4. 4:16
    Still a tiny bit of stifness in the lower calf but once Ii dont race should be fine. Have found a nice system of foam roller and gold balls really do wonders for the leg.

Garmin died on the warm down so not sure exactly how far I ran tonight, but would have been 6.5/7 miles at least.

Good consistent reps. Gold balls?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

This new plan seems to be going well shels, good work :)

Good consistent reps. Gold balls?;)

ooops Golf ;)

Not some new fancy gold plated nads.

claralara wrote: »
    This new plan seems to be going well shels, good work :)

So far so good, But lots and lots more running to do before Berlin. Once I get the weight down and mile done who knows what can happen... ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Best of luck with Berlin, whats the goal there, 3'20? See you over there anyway. Whats the intermediate targets? I'm assuming the Frank Duffy 10 or are you gonna look at a half somewhere else.

Best of luck with Berlin, whats the goal there, 3'20? See you over there anyway. Whats the intermediate targets? I'm assuming the Frank Duffy 10 or are you gonna look at a half somewhere else.

Not 100% sure once I get the next 6 week running down will see how things are going, Will run a 5 mile sometime in May to see where I stand and then will decided on a Half Marathon or 10 mile at that point. (depends on what the gaffer says too)

Have no target time yet, long way to go but just planning on been as fit and as light as possible by the summer and then decided 6-8 weeks before. But wont be faster thatn 2:03:59

• Advertisement

Wed 23rd March
    Had more time today so decided to switch my rest day so i'd get a nice longer run done, First mistake legs were shot body tired and just never got into the run. Decided after 3 miles that I would be better off just doing an easy short run so just 5.7 miles .

Rest day tomorrow and next week is going to be a down week as I will have a forced break for a couple of days.

Advertisement