Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The road to a 1:2X Half Mara.....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Tuesday 8th Feb

2 miles warmup

1 mile 6:30

2.5 mile warmdown.

Havent been feeling gread the past 2 week so didnt really fancy this today. So got a nice warmup down and decided to give it a go.
    Splits were 1:38, 1:38 , 1:38, 1:36
    Still no speed in the legs at all but felt strong and could have gone for another lap at this pace....

just need to stick another 2.5 miles @ this pace to this run in a couple of months. No problem :)

Wed 9th Feb
    Rest day .
    Ordered a new pair of spikes the other day, hope they arrive for the weekend as it's looking like it will be a mucky one ,

Thursday 10th Feb
    5 miles easy today, with 2X4 mins at saturdays race pace legs feeling good, So will see how it goes. Not really in 5 mile race shap but nothing better then an XC race to get your ass in gear.

The second race is with the delivery of my spikes they are in the country now, just hope they arrive tomorrow.

Happy days spikes arrived today... why do they sell and spike thats called cross country with 5mm spiks :(... Now need to pick up some 9/12mm... first impression of the saucony kilkenny xc3 is good . Lots more support then my last pair and are closer to a racingflat then spike, (some people use then as flats too).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Dropped you a text earlier regarding tomorrow. Am passing Elvery's in town on the way home so happy to pick you up a set of 9/12mm spikes if they have them... Let me know if you need me to.

• Advertisement

xebec wrote: »
    Dropped you a text earlier regarding tomorrow. Am passing Elvery's in town on the way home so happy to pick you up a set of 9/12mm spikes if they have them... Let me know if you need me to.

Hows it going, strange didnt get a text phone seems to be playing up at the moment I think. Whats your plan for tomorrow?

Friday 11th Feb
    Just under 40 mins @8:30 pace . Legs are feeling good at the moment so will be nice to race a bit tomorrow. Plan is to go out hard and see how long I last....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

shels4ever wrote: »
    Hows it going, strange didnt get a text phone seems to be playing up at the moment I think. Whats your plan for tomorrow?

Still ok for a lift? Meet at the same place at 10am? Or earlier? I'll check back in here later tonight to see what your plan is...

yep will be there at 10am .

Sat 12 th Feb NCF XC
    Wasn'f feeling great today when I work and during the warmup but conditions were perfect and super day for an XC race.

Started at the back of the pack which was a bit of a mistake because after 600m was down to a walk going through the forest section.
    First lap legs were tired pace was slower then expected and working a little harder at this point. Managed to get in touch with a group infront and got stuck in.

The longer the race went the better I felt got to the front of the group after 3 miles and started to push on a bit. Dropped most the group but had one lad with me for the last lap, took a major effort to get away from him over the last 1000m but thanks to him managed to pick up another 3 people on the run in.
    1. 8:20 (stupid forest :()
    2. 7:55
    3. 8:01
    4. 8:02
    5. 7:36
    Happy enough with todays run, wasnt feeling great but managed to finish strong in a race for ones. Wasnt passed by anyone in the race and only picked up places over the second half.

Think i didnt stop my garmin at the end of the race so pace might be a little out, will need to wait for results but looks like 38:30 was my finishing time.

http://connect.garmin.com/player/67860937

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

what happened to going out fast:rolleyes:
    Nice last lap,well done and good to see you doing cross country.Too many people shy away from it.

what happened to going out fast:rolleyes:
    Nice last lap,well done and good to see you doing cross country.Too many people shy away from it.

Got really stuck in a narrow section so was down to a walk for about 20 seconds, Which was a pity but worked out ok in the end. Just using these as a slighly faster tempo and will race full out in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Nice steady laps in the middle - well done and good pacing.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Nice steady laps in the middle - well done and good pacing.
    Thanks, still a long way to go now, but happy with the progress over the past few week, another 6 week and hope to get a nice 5k done.

Sunday 13th Feb
    65 mins easy today, legs a little tired but felt good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Sunday 13th Feb
    65 mins easy today, legs a little tired but felt good.

Well done on the well-paced race yesterday Shels: always good to finish strong. Is your time right on the results? Mine seems about 50 seconds slow.

T runner wrote: »
    Well done on the well-paced race yesterday Shels: always good to finish strong. Is your time right on the results? Mine seems about 50 seconds slow.

Thanks just need to get the last lap pace for the whole race in a coupld or months !Forgot to stop my garmin at the end but going on garmin connect the time seems to be about right.

Monday 14th Feb
    4 easy miles after work, was 9pm by the time I got going and just need to do a few easy miles to start the week off.
    Won't make the club session tonight, so its going to be solo 800's later today.

Tuesday 25th Feb
    One of the worse sessions ever is the only way to put yesterdays run.

2.5 mile warmup

6X800m with 2 min recovery

Each rep was pure hell, pace was slower then expected , legs were dead and really didnt enjoy one stride of this run...Was run on a harder loop with a couple of hills.

2 mile warm down.

On the plus side feel great today so can't wait to get out for a run...

Thursday 17th Feb
    6.7 nice miles in the park, could have run all day today felt great. lots and lots of mud around still, keep telling myself its good for me.

• Advertisement

Friday 18th Feb
    5 nice muddy miles this evening. Feeling good at the moment. Plan to run the XC tomorrow but not going to be killing myself this week. Will just see how the legs feel as the race goes on.

Decided to jump onto the bus to Berlin . Was planning on doing Dublin but decided a nice trip away would be nicer. Plan from now on is to still focus on getting faster over the shorter stuff before starting any marathon specific work. Not setting any targets yet but major focus on diet and staying injury free.

Sat 19th Feb
    5 mile XC today, was feeling good today so expected to run a little better then last week, but the mud/water really took it out of me over the last lap. Was passed by one guy with a lap to go but managed to catch him on the line when he waved at the camera :).

Really enjoy XC running but this was hard.

Total 8.5 miles.

Sunday 20th Feb
    5 recovery miles today, legs felt like two sacks of lactic acid so scrapped the planned long run and just got some easy miles done. Havent felt this tired in a while guess all the muck yesterday took alot more then expected.
    Put the HRM on for the first time in a while, will start to keep track of this from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Decided to jump onto the bus to Berlin . Was planning on doing Dublin but decided a nice trip away would be nicer. Plan from now on is to still focus on getting faster over the shorter stuff before starting any marathon specific work. Not setting any targets yet but major focus on diet and staying injury free.

Nice one!! Looks like a good crowd heading over. Should be good craic...I was a mug and ordered the €20 tshirt not realising it was cotton and that you could just buy it over there instead. Anyways, any idea of a goal time? I know it is a long way off but still......

menoscemo wrote: »
    Nice one!! Looks like a good crowd heading over. Should be good craic...I was a mug and ordered the €20 tshirt not realising it was cotton and that you could just buy it over there instead. Anyways, any idea of a goal time? I know it is a long way off but still......

Nope, no plans on a goal time at all, will see how the training goes etc. Will try and spend the next couple of months dropping weight and getting my 5/10k time down then see how i'm going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Nope, no plans on a goal time at all, will see how the training goes etc. Will try and spend the next couple of months dropping weight and getting my 5/10k time down then see how i'm going.

excellent, coach roadrunner needs to talk to you. 30 weeks to go.

excellent, coach roadrunner needs to talk to you. 30 weeks to go.
    Yep perfect amount of time lots can be done in 30 weeks ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Yep perfect amount of time lots can be done in 30 weeks ;).

cool, I don't think you will like the potential schedule though. I'll give you a shout later next week

• Advertisement

cool, I don't think you will like the potential schedule though. I'll give you a shout later next week
    oh why not?

Advertisement