Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Installed the update yesterday and overall its made a nice improvement to the phone.

The only problem I have is I used to have RSS news feeds from BBC, Reuters and CNN on one of the screens before the update but now it seems I can't have them on the screen but must go online and then select options, RSS feeds.

Is there anyway I can have these feeds put on a screen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

g0g wrote: »
    Connect to PC via USB, run Nokia Suite (it replaced Ovi Suite) and you should be prompted to update. When I checked via the phone without connecting it said no update available, so you defo need to do it via data cable.

Can't seem to get this to work - any ideas?

I'm already on Anna. I've updated to the current version of Nokia Suite and connected my phone by USB cable. The phone is recognised in the normal way by Nokia Suite, but when I check for updates, it just tells me my phone has software version 022.014 installed and doesn't give me the option to update to Belle. (BTW, I'm on the Three network - does that make any difference?)

Any advice or pointers would be welcome - thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

touts wrote: »
    People want apps and are no longer satisfied with having to put effort into using a browser to find the info

Didn't know we were in the presence of omniscience :rolleyes:

Unlike the majority of brain dead 2-legged sheep that appears to populate the planet (generalisation), I certainly DON'T want 101 stupid apps running on my phone telling me what and how to do it. In fact, the fewer the better.
    Maybe its because I'm part of the "Old Fart" generation, but I am still well able to multitask - use my fingers as well as my eyes and brain to do different things...... A concept way beyond certain people in todays world.

And yes, I ALSO have an android and an Icrap 3gs. Both of which have been consigned to the desk drawer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

[/QUOTE]Can't seem to get this to work - any ideas?

I'm already on Anna. I've updated to the current version of Nokia Suite and connected my phone by USB cable. The phone is recognised in the normal way by Nokia Suite, but when I check for updates, it just tells me my phone has software version 022.014 installed and doesn't give me the option to update to Belle. (BTW, I'm on the Three network - does that make any difference?)

Any advice or pointers would be welcome - thanks![/Quote]

The N8 Belle update's for Meteor and 3 are still 'waiting for approval' so hopefully should be ready next week.

http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/nokia-belle-update/nokia-belle-update-availability

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Philip42

I've had a HTC Desire and a Desire S...and I bought an N8 and love it...I just got sick of the HTC...ok, fair enough...it's a very smooth and slick phone to use, but maybe a bit too sanitised for my liking...when I thought about it, I wasn't using any of the apps on the Desire S....any that I was using I could also get on the Nokia...I think the Nokia build quality and camera are above anything available in androild or Apple...to be honest with you I think Apple and Android phone manufacturers are getting away with blue murder...you're basically get a rectangle slab with virtually no moving parts...they must be cheap as chips to make...for texting and calling I still think Nokia has the edge....

Regarding the Belle update, I have to laugh at these comments "the pull down bar is really excellent - it's just like android"...it's ok to be different and not be like Android! Reminds me a bit of the "if you listen carefully it sounds just like a Golf" ad !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Three UK updating now, Three ROI can't be too far behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭StaunchyDJ

Three UK updating now, Three ROI can't be too far behind.

lolie wrote: »
    Can't seem to get this to work - any ideas?

Any advice or pointers would be welcome - thanks!

The N8 Belle update's for Meteor and 3 are still 'waiting for approval' so hopefully should be ready next week.

http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/nokia-belle-update/nokia-belle-update-availability

Been onto Three ROI and they haven't even started or have a date on when they will be Testing the Belle UpDate! They are no longer selling the N8 so I don't know what that will do to the time frame either! Don't expect it any time soon that's for sure because IF 3 do approve it it will take Nokia another while to lay out a 3 Belle Variant and release it to us. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭kirving

I was onto meteor today on Twitter, they said that they had released the update. Nokia's site still says they are waiting on approval from Meteor. I gave the product code too, to avoid confusion. I'll give it till Wednesday before I contact Meteor again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mollser

I was onto meteor today on Twitter, they said that they had released the update. Nokia's site still says they are waiting on approval from Meteor. I gave the product code too, to avoid confusion. I'll give it till Wednesday before I contact Meteor again.

My wifes c3 got the update from meteor on day 1 of the release. I got it from emobile for my n8 also

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

StaunchyDJ wrote: »
    Been onto Three ROI and they haven't even started or have a date on when they will be Testing the Belle UpDate! They are no longer selling the N8 so I don't know what that will do to the time frame either! Don't expect it any time soon that's for sure because IF 3 do approve it it will take Nokia another while to lay out a 3 Belle Variant and release it to us. :mad:

3 ROI customer service really don't know what the technical side of the house is doing, the only reliable source of info from them I've found are Patrick and Fiona over in the Three forum, and at times it seems they have to fight for information! Waiting on them to get back about the Belle update. On the positive side, the status with nokia has gone from 'in development' to 'waiting for approval' so I would say we'll see it soon enough. Situation with the Anna update was worse - even Nokia didn't seem to know anything about it, but it arrived in the end, so I guess it's a waiting game for now.. The silver lining is that installations issues and problems should be well characterised by the time we get it!

• Advertisement

mollser wrote: »
    My wifes c3 got the update from meteor on day 1 of the release. I got it from emobile for my n8 also

Did you mean C7? The C3 is a S40 phone... :)

The Three C7/N8 and meteor N8 updates are still awaiting operator approval

Did you try connecting to Nokia suite to see if the update is there? I think as its not available OTA, it hasn't been showing up on some phones as an available update. Same thing happened with some Anna variants.

Can you post a link to the 3 Forum please...? Looked on site an that but couldn't see one, didn't think they'd got one TBH!!! All the better they do ;)

StaunchyDJ wrote: »
    Can you post a link to the 3 Forum please...? Looked on site an that but couldn't see one, didn't think they'd got one TBH!!! All the better they do ;)

It's available here. I've found them to be very helpful and way less frustrating than ringing customer support!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

Hope meteor get the finger out quicker than with the Anna update.

Has anyone with Belle noticed any difference in camera quality compared with Anna? A lot of people seem to think its not as good now, hope thats not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mollser

zinzan wrote: »
    Did you mean C7? The C3 is a S40 phone... :)

The Three C7/N8 and meteor N8 updates are still awaiting operator approval

My mistake, I did indeed mean the C7 - this was already updated from Meteor. Her phone doesn't seem to have any Meteor customised software on it though, so maybe thats the difference?

zinzan wrote: »
    It's available here. I've found them to be very helpful and way less frustrating than ringing customer support!

Oh right, didn't know it was one here, I taught it was on their own site like the Site like Meteor's :( Ahh well!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

Nokia Maps Suite update on Beta Labs. only for after installing Belle.

Screenshots look good - just downloading now. Appears to be an option to have maps as a widget or something.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Finding this brilliant lately. Such a handy thing to have while driving, and its free! It automatically pops up as soon as the bluetooth is connected. Wont auto lock either so changing music tracks its a lot handier etc

Nokia Car mode:>http://store.ovi.com/content/232236

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭jimmy_t

http://forum.dailymobile.se/index.php?topic=63220.0 extra belle widgets if you want to tweak your phone to accept unsigned apps, i havent done this so cant comment but the widgets look good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Tardis

Meteor keep telling me Belle is out for the N8 yet the website says waiting for approval. It's clearly not available as there's no updates available threw nokia suite. It's mad annoying!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

Davy wrote: »
    Finding this brilliant lately. Such a handy thing to have while driving, and its free! It automatically pops up as soon as the bluetooth is connected. Wont auto lock either so changing music tracks its a lot handier etc

No idea if the two are/were linked, but after installing this my car stopped connecting to my phone until I uninstalled and deleted/re-added the car/phone as bluetooth connections on each other! The timing did seem a little bit too much of a coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Downloaded the car mode app today and very impressed apart from one thing. When someone rings me only their number appears, not their contact name.

Is this normal?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

pippip wrote: »
    Downloaded the car mode app today and very impressed apart from one thing. When someone rings me only their number appears, not their contact name.

Is this normal?

Didnt happen me. Have you got the number saved *twice* in your phone by any chance?

Yeh,it's my wife's phone number, when I'm not in the app her name displays and the phone says her name but once in the app only her number comes up.

Will have a go with the work phone tomorrow.

Thanks, at least I know it should be doing it. Seemed such a minor thing for nokia to have missed.

I meant to say saved 'twice'. This happens when the number is saved twice in the phone, doesn't only happen when connected to carkit etc. Try ringing from other numbers to see

I meant to say saved 'twice'. This happens when the number is saved twice in the phone, doesn't only happen when connected to carkit etc. Try ringing from other numbers to see

No it's not in twice. Thought it may have been cause she had a image but no. Also tried removing from favourites but not that either.

Pain in the ass. Can't seem to find anything similar on google either. Will try with the phone in work tomorrow (no house phone). Will drop Nokia an email if I don't get anywhere.

Cheers

Cheers Davy, just got it sorted.

Realised the phone was set to only display "phone memory" contacts, once I switched to sim and phone I discovered her in again. Must have been throwing the carmode app even though the phone still displayed her name even with it in twice, will have to delete all the sim card numbers.

Thanks, that's a relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

It says this app is not available for the N8-00 when I try and download it?:confused:

• Advertisement

rickyjb wrote: »
    It says this app is not available for the N8-00 when I try and download it?:confused:

Not for Anna, belle yes

Advertisement