Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Voyager II

wilson10 wrote: »
    I've had an N8 on O2 just over a year and despite having realised my mistake when my wife got a Samsung Galaxy and my son got a HTC Desire a few weeks after my upgrade to an N8, I've soldiered on and found that I could live with Anna.

Last week along came Belle and I was initially smitten but my ardour has been severely cooled when I discover that an overnight charge will not get me home from work in the evening.

I was getting at least 2 days with Anna but from 100% at 7 o'clock this morning to dead phone at 4.30 with very little usage, what is going on.

Could it be that 1 year is about the life of a battery and it's just a coincidence that it's died at the same time as my update to Belle. I've never had to replace a phone battery before and I had one Nokia for over 4 years.

Can't wait till I'm due my next upgrade and change to Android but in the meantime any help would be appreciated.

Same here noticed it straight away Belle likes her juice. Even going to the trouble of turning off all communications devices and closing all apps when not in use I just about get a day out of it, never had to do that with anna and would get two days with moderate usage.

wilson10 wrote: »
    I've had an N8 on O2 just over a year and despite having realised my mistake when my wife got a Samsung Galaxy and my son got a HTC Desire a few weeks after my upgrade to an N8, I've soldiered on and found that I could live with Anna.

Last week along came Belle and I was initially smitten but my ardour has been severely cooled when I discover that an overnight charge will not get me home from work in the evening.

I was getting at least 2 days with Anna but from 100% at 7 o'clock this morning to dead phone at 4.30 with very little usage, what is going on.

Could it be that 1 year is about the life of a battery and it's just a coincidence that it's died at the same time as my update to Belle. I've never had to replace a phone battery before and I had one Nokia for over 4 years.

Can't wait till I'm due my next upgrade and change to Android but in the meantime any help would be appreciated.

Same here noticed it straight away Belle likes her juice. Even going to the trouble of turning off all communications devices and closing all apps when not in use I just about get a day out of it, never had to do that with anna and would get two days with moderate usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,990 ✭✭✭cena

Voyager II wrote: »

I can get a week out of my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Tardis

I love nokia belle but the battery is very poor. gone from charging it every 2nd night to every night

I've read if you restore factoy settings your get longer battery life like with anna....what other effect would a hard reset have though??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

Battery monitor showed 100% at 8 this morning.

No calls, no apps open, no usage whatever, now 2 pm, it shows 58%.

I have wi-fi and bluetooth on, which I've always had, without any big drain before Belle.

I couldn't have a situation where I'd have to remember to switch bluetooth on every time I sit into the car, would cancel out the advantage of having it in the first place.

How can I get back to Anna, anyone, I don't know how to go about it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I have stopped using the battery indicator widgets, they are a drain on the battery. With light-ish usage I can get 2 full days with belle. With heavy usage I have had to charge at 4pm on day one, but I would have been using gps all day, internet, emails, and tethering for a good bit. At the minute its still full after a charge at 7 this morning

@wilson, leave the bluetooth off. Its easy to turn it on via the down swipe notifications. Its just one click and its on. Its what i do

Anyone else notice when you record a vid with the phone it no longer goes under videos but stays in Gallery. Any way to fix this.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

cena wrote: »
    Anyone else notice when you record a vid with the phone it no longer goes under videos but stays in Gallery. Any way to fix this.
    if you tell us how you get a week out of your n8, we'll tell you!

I've also noticed this about the video's which is irratating

• Advertisement

dr ro wrote: »
    most likley connected to a klingon phaser power pack

dr ro wrote: »

I could but I would have to kill ye all. Evil LOl. I love that offline button.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭branners69

Anyone else having the wifi connection problem, my N8 connects to my wlan but then I get an error "Conn failed" and I cant connect to the Ovi store or browse!!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 hesus2003

branners69 wrote: »
    Anyone else having the wifi connection problem, my N8 connects to my wlan but then I get an error "Conn failed" and I cant connect to the Ovi store or browse!!

mine worked ok earlier this evening,now im getting same as at that "conn failed"

• Registered Users Posts: 41 hesus2003

i can use ovi store doh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

branners69 wrote: »
    as far as i can remeber its..settings..connectivity....wi-fi scan an save or something,once done when in home wi fi if mobile data is off an you need the 'net.it will use wi fi/remmber your wifi.plus do NOT turn off power savin in wifi,it will only connect to wifi when you need it.
    inless you use whatsapp.close that down when you dont need it,cos it will drain your battery.i may be wrong but im sure davy will let you know how to do it soon..

Any word if peoples battery life has started to improve?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭branners69

hesus2003 wrote: »
    mine worked ok earlier this evening,now im getting same as at that "conn failed"

Are you with UPC?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭StaunchyDJ

Tardis wrote: »
    Any word if peoples battery life has started to improve?

I've found it a bit worse rather than better :(

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

When i have the power mode saving activated i can only use GSM mode and when its not activated i can have 3G, what are the advantages/disadvantages of having GSM vs 3g??

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

JonnyM wrote: »
    When i have the power mode saving activated i can only use GSM mode and when its not activated i can have 3G, what are the advantages/disadvantages of having GSM vs 3g??

cheers

Better battery life with 3g off, but you wont have fast data connection

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

cheers

As well as no data, power saving mode will also deactivate any active screensavers and lower screen brightness.

ever since i downloaded the 'belle' software to my n8 it has been asking me to put in my security code when i turn my phone on.

Now i dont know what it is so i just put a random 4 digit code in and it says wrong code and just goes back to the home screen.

Can i get rid of this by putting in the correct security code and if so where do i find the correct security code?

Cheers

ever since i downloaded the 'belle' software to my n8 it has been asking me to put in my security code when i turn my phone on.

Now i dont know what it is so i just put a random 4 digit code in and it says wrong code and just goes back to the home screen.

Can i get rid of this by putting in the correct security code and if so where do i find the correct security code?

Cheers

The security code is 5 digits, and there isn't a default code anymore. You decide the code when you first use it. You can turn the option off in the security settings.

Menu; settings; phone; phone management; security settings; phone and sim card

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Davy wrote: »

Cheers

The security code is 5 digits, and there isn't a default code anymore. You decide the code when you first use it. You can turn the option off in the security settings.

Menu; settings; phone; phone management; security settings; phone and sim card
    Default is 12345

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Default is 12345

Are you sure? Used to be, but latest models you have to set the code. There isn't one in place till you set it

Davy wrote: »
    Default is 12345

Are you sure? Used to be, but latest models you have to set the code. There isn't one in place till you set it
    In general its preset at the default unless its been changed by provider or the user,or again by a previous owner..

Default is 12345

tried default and doesnt work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

has anyone managed to get the skype app working in the N8?
    I downloaded it 3 times but can't get it to work in Symbian Belle
    Loads up the interface, asks me to login then pops up a message about data charges and closes down.
    Makes no difference if I log in with wifi switched on or WAP services active.

Any ideas?

Advertisement