Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

Short of a hard restore, does anyone know how I can re-download the Nokia Midnight theme?
    It started coming down, downloaded about 75% of the file and then told me d/l was complete. When I try to install it, get failure message.
    Looked in Application manager, but no sign of it (so can delete).

Any suggestions?

Only negative side, is that I cannot get the battery to last more than 2 days even though I've switched off just about everything. Tbh, the difference in battery life between most stuff switched on and switched off is only about 1hr.
    Yes, I let battery go flat every time just to 'condition it'

BTW, have had the phone for 3 weeks and like it more and more. Compared to the N8, the Iphone 3GS (got it as a freebie from my brother in law) is a piece of crap. Whoever heard of a phone that needs to be activated via iTunes???????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

KrisW wrote: »
    I suspect it's the router, tbh - I've had loads of problems with all kinds of mobile devices and DNS..

Dunno if this will help, but you could try making your WLAN the first-choice access point:

Settings > Connectivity > Settings > Destinations > Internet

Change the priority of the access points to make your WLAN first-priority: Long-press on your WLAN and choose "Change priority", then tap the first item in the list of WLANs.

Wlan is already no.1 in that priority list (not that that seems to do anything, it still uses data if i open ovi store when I'm at home).

You say you've had problems with this particular router? It must be pretty old now I guess. If it works with 2 laptops (one quite new) there's no reason it shouldn't work with this phone though.

@kenny powers: I'm not sure I follow, you say you used to have problems when you did a hard reset and back up but then to fix it you did another hard reset?? I've already manually entered pretty much everything I can bar the DNS registers in the IPv6 menu and those are REALLY long:pac:

Do Nokia even have a phone number I can ring?? Couldn't find any on the web and that website is s***e.

Its bullhsit tbh, the phone should easily connect to any router straight out of the box. I also couldn't get the HDMI cable to play through my tv. I use the cable with my laptop all the time and have no problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 steo2009

the nokia n8 looks to be a bit slow, the processor looks ok, but it seems to lag a bit, compared to say the htc desire.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

rickyjb wrote: »
    Wlan is already no.1 in that priority list (not that that seems to do anything, it still uses data if i open ovi store when I'm at home).

'Internet' is not set as the default connection. Go to connectivity and destinations, and make internet the default connection. All you have to do is click options, and then default connection. It will have a little arrow beside it then to signify it.

Do Nokia even have a phone number I can ring?? Couldn't find any on the web and that website is s***e.

Its bullhsit tbh, the phone should easily connect to any router straight out of the box.

It does, its just some setting thats not correct. Mine is setup for different wlan access points and i haven't had any trouble. I suggest you delete the access point you have setup. Then go to scan, find your router, enter the WEP/WPA etc and see how you get on. Dont bother with extra settings just yet.

I also couldn't get the HDMI cable to play through my tv. I use the cable with my laptop all the time and have no problems

They only thing you have to do is selct the correct hdmi source on the tv, and ofcourse have the cable connected to the phone. Their shouldn't be any problem

steo2009 wrote: »
    the nokia n8 looks to be a bit slow, the processor looks ok, but it seems to lag a bit, compared to say the htc desire.

Try one out yourself, and you will its not slow

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

You say you've had problems with this particular router? It must be pretty old now I guess. If it works with 2 laptops (one quite new) there's no reason it shouldn't work with this phone though.

@kenny powers: I'm not sure I follow, you say you used to have problems when you did a hard reset and back up but then to fix it you did another hard reset?? I've already manually entered pretty much everything I can bar the DNS registers in the IPv6 menu and those are REALLY long:pac:

Its bullhsit tbh, the phone should easily connect to any router straight out of the box. I also couldn't get the HDMI cable to play through my tv. I use the cable with my laptop all the time and have no problems

read my post above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

Are you serious with your statement or just being a troll?

Can't compare apples & pears. It's the same as saying I've a petrol Mercedes and it goes faster than a Ford diesel. Yes, they're both cars, but that is where it stops. The same with the phones.

The OS plays a part in all of this. Because Android sits on top of a *.nix base and Symbian doesn't, the needs are different and can get away with a slower processor for symbian, giving virtually the same results.

I have both an N8 and an Iphone - IMHO the N8 is marginally (and I'm talking real fractions of seconds) 'slower' than the Iphone in certain aspects. You really need to use a stopwatch. For the average user - no difference. A mate of mine has the Desire - some things appear quicker (eg loading web pages, flipping screens); most appear the same (eg: loading a spreadsheet, making a phone call).
    steo2009 wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

Can someone please verify -

With WIFI, does this mean no charges for being online once your in a wifi spot? And the allowance (on bill pay) 1Gb, is this enough for being on facebook, banking, emails etc on a daily basis? (I understand Sat nav needs no internet connection)...

Appreciate feedback.

Thank you.

(im debating whether to get the Sony Ericsson Eperia X8 or the Nokia N8, however one is PAYG and this one Bill Pay.....)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Yes to both questions.

Maps can be used with or without a data connection. 1gb is enough for most people for average use

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

I said I've always had problems with mobile devices (in general) and routers (in general), so my first finger of blame would be pointed at the router. I don't know your model, sorry..

Easiest way to check is to try to connect to a friend's WLAN. If that works, you know where the problem is.

http://www.nokia.ie, click "Support", click "Contact us" ;)
    Nokia Care
    Call 1890 946 245
    Mon-Fri 9 am - 7 pm (except bank and public holidays)
    or Fax on +44 207 949 03 65

To turn off 3G data altogether, Settings > Connection Manager > Settings > Data Use in Home network. Choose "WLAN Only".

I said I've always had problems with mobile devices (in general) and routers (in general), so my first finger of blame would be pointed at the router. I don't know your model, sorry..

Easiest way to check is to try to connect to a friend's WLAN. If that works, you know where the problem is.

http://www.nokia.ie, click "Support", click "Contact us" ;)

To turn off 3G data altogether, Settings > Connection Manager > Settings > Data Use in Home network. Choose "WLAN Only".

Not sure how i missed that number, thanks:o

@Davy: internet is the default connection, for awhile it worked ok (when i say worked i mean connected automatically, couldn't load any pages) then it kept asking for my WEP key again. And i know how to turn off 3G etc. it just doesn't seem to do it for all your apps like Opera mobile and ovi store etc. The whole connectivity set up is a bit of a shambles, I've only ever had nokia phones and i would consider myself reasonably savvy when it comes to routers internet connections that kind of stuff but this phone is ridiculous. From what I've read online the whole invalid server name thing seems to be a very common problem that Nokia are trying very hard to ignore. Just google it!

@kenny powers: I did read your post, still doesn't make sense:pac:

Connecting to a different router is a good idea, I'll try it at my parents house tonight. No reason why it shouldn't be compatible with all current routers though.

• Advertisement

Italia wrote: »
    Are you serious with your statement or just being a troll?

Can't compare apples & pears. It's the same as saying I've a petrol Mercedes and it goes faster than a Ford diesel. Yes, they're both cars, but that is where it stops. The same with the phones.

The OS plays a part in all of this. Because Android sits on top of a *.nix base and Symbian doesn't, the needs are different and can get away with a slower processor for symbian, giving virtually the same results.

I have both an N8 and an Iphone - IMHO the N8 is marginally (and I'm talking real fractions of seconds) 'slower' than the Iphone in certain aspects. You really need to use a stopwatch. For the average user - no difference. A mate of mine has the Desire - some things appear quicker (eg loading web pages, flipping screens); most appear the same (eg: loading a spreadsheet, making a phone call).

I downloaded swype the other day, which is class, but it takes an age to load when i turn the screen sideways to use it. The phone really cant handle switching keyboards very well, which is VERY noticeable for the average user.

Btw, surely if things appear quicker then they ARE quicker??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

The problems I'm having with the n8 are: 1) After taking a photo, having to press the exit button lots of times before it actually exits the application. 2) Sometimes when a call is incoming and the phone is locked, even though you press the answer button it doesn't work (q people staring at you on the train as you panic trying to push the answer button!).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

2) Sometimes when a call is incoming and the phone is locked, even though you press the answer button it doesn't work (q people staring at you on the train as you panic trying to push the answer button!).
    That bit is easily fixed. Move to Donegal, like me, and there will be no problems with trains. :D

Sorry, I digress. I recently got one of these and it's my first touch/smart phone. (I had a brief fling with a samsung tocco for a few weeks but found that to be the biggest steaming pile of horse crap ever and gave it away)

As for the Nokia N8, I love it. There is a whole lot more I need to learn about it and all the different apps but so far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Anyone elses N8 randomly restart itself sometimes?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Sitec wrote: »

nope, but the browser will close sometimes all by itself. Also the skiller 12 pack of games that came with it, a load of crap!

Has happened once or twice, but should be ironed out with new firmware hopefully.

nope, but the browser will close sometimes all by itself. Also the skiller 12 pack of games that came with it, a load of crap!

Im not using the browser anymore, opera mini works very well on this, even though it comes with opera mobile installed iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

anyone have issues with thé prédictive text. I have to manually imput even thé!most simple of words. Its bloody annoying. Edit : Found the problem a few minutes later. The language in writing mode was set to...FRENCH. Mon Dieu!

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

2) Sometimes when a call is incoming and the phone is locked, even though you press the answer button it doesn't work
    Im having the same problem. Im missing about 30-40% of incoming calls and have to end up calling them back myself. When i press the green button to answer a call, a 'call rejected' window comes up on screen and the incoming call is terminated.

The problems I'm having with the n8 are: 1) After taking a photo, having to press the exit button lots of times before it actually exits the application.

Are you holding the handset in portrait rather than landscape? The camera is designed for landscape, so recognises the touchscreen that way. If your holding it in portrait use your left finger to exit more so than your right.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

The problems I'm having with the n8 are: 1) After taking a photo, having to press the exit button lots of times before it actually exits the application. 2) Sometimes when a call is incoming and the phone is locked, even though you press the answer button it doesn't work (q people staring at you on the train as you panic trying to push the answer button!).

1) Just press the front button once - this brings you back to the homescree, but leaves the camera dormant for when you need it again. It won't affect battery.

2) Not had it happen, but thinking about it, I unlock the phone (spring-switch on the side), then tap "Answer". Maybe the phone doesn't unlock automatically for an incoming call - not sure it should do either..

2) Not had it happen, but thinking about it, I unlock the phone (spring-switch on the side), then tap "Answer". Maybe the phone doesn't unlock automatically for an incoming call - not sure it should do either..

It doesnt 'unlock' but still able to answer without it. If the caller hangs up before you answer the phone will bestill unlocked iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Davy wrote: »
    Has happened once or twice, but should be ironed out with new firmware hopefully.

its a common issue it will be sorted in jan 2011 with a new update

Im not using the browser anymore, opera mini works very well on this, even though it comes with opera mobile installed iirc

one good tip after browsing is to clear the cache each time after use,i was using mine last nite watching the late late show and been here on boards on it,when i was finish it took a good ten secs to clear the cache ,this uses up memo on your RAM,and can cause issues you may note the numbers on top right hand side of screen this is your data,you can also check your data usage in the log

there is a game thats due any day now for the N8 called real golf 2011 its just released in the uk its a whopping 190 mb you cant update OTA you need to use ovi
    also another good tip use the ALL ABOUT SYMBIAN widget or nokia conversations,these have daily infos on updates and stuff for this and the C7.

Davy wrote: »

I hope so, mine does it 6/7 times a day, very annoying considering the price of the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

6-7 times a day sounds like you've a dodgy handset. Would you try reformatting? Apart from ovi and get jar, does anyone have web sites for downloading apps for n8?

I hope so, mine does it 6/7 times a day, very annoying considering the price of the phone.

Thats crazy. What are you doing when it happens?

I would try a hard reset and firmware reboot if it was me

Wiped the lot of it, let you know how I get on,

On another note the app TuneWiki has good web radio stations on it for free.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

do any radio apps have rte. Can't get joe when i'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

they are widgets you get them from ovi store or the respective websites

Advertisement