Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT Megathread - ALL VRT DISCUSSION IN HERE - Read First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭mayoman ngalway

I have a question about this vrt.

is the vrt is 36% of the price of the car in the south, or the price you paid for it?

because the calculator on the tax website calculates the price of the car in the south,... doesn't it?

should it not do it for what was paid???

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

yeah, course it should. No doubt everyone would be so very honest when declaring what they paid .

"yes I swear mr customs man, I only paid £5000 for this 09 m5"
    I can't see any downside to that for the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭mayoman ngalway

Stekelly wrote: »
    yeah, course it should. No doubt everyone would be so very honest when declaring what they paid .

"yes I swear mr customs man, I only paid £5000 for this 09 m5"
    I can't see any downside to that for the government.

smartass,

what about the recite for what you paid????

that should be shown when paying the vrt.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Theanswers

There should be a tax for thoes who are resident in Dulbin. They seemily want to pay it more and I dont see why they cant. Seeing as they need there cars least, being in Dublin with public transport (dart project, luas, Dublin Bus, Bus Eirean). The rest of us in the 'country' should be exempt seeing as there is no public transport and need our cars. One poster said one should buy an older car, is a newer car not safer for our bad roads, Also I would imagine more reliable? It's not just Donegal either with bad roads, It's basically anywhere in the WEST.

240m/250m of the DART = The same amounts of funds to finish the WESTERN RAIL CORRIDER.
    Guess who got extra funding? DART.
    Simply put if the rail corrdier was on the east coast it would be up and running by now, it's location lets it down. Dublin goverment for a Dublin city type foke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭ryanstewart

-Chris- wrote: »
    OK, and here's my interpretation of it. Correct me if I misunderstood any of your points.

1) Anyone who's been illegally driving a yellow reg in Ireland for more than a certain period gets an amnesty on the VRT they owe.
    Fines for driving without motor tax should be increased.

2) VRT is entirely removed (no mention of phasing this at all).

3) Parking charges will be increased by 20%, parking fines will be increased by 10%.

4) I don't understand this point at all - you're giving a tax rebate to increase the tax take?
    People won't mind their car depreciating because new cars are cheaper too? What happens to their current car loans (and their increased negative equity)?

5) This is what's already in place. I don't understand why it's mentioned in a propsal for change.

6) Fuel costs will be increased for everyone.

So, what I'm reading here is that
    a) anyone who bought and operated their car legally (new or second hand) will now see their second-hand value greatly reduced and the cost of running & parking thier car increased.

b) anyone who's been driving illegally by avoiding VRT will get an amnesty, saving them thousands, and will be protected from the collapse of their second-hand value as they didn't buy at the inflated price.

Do I understand that right? Seems a little selfish to me.

1) Road tax on NI reg vehicles currently gets paid to the UK. By allowing an amnesty, the government would allow these vehicles to be registered in the Republic, then collecting all road tax on vehicles until the end of their use.
    2) It would be phased out over a period of six months to allow used car dealers to run down their stocks, as used car dealers are the only industry affected by the removal of VRT. The tax rebate is to the dealer - not the customer, to keep them afloat during the transition - the scrappage deal on new cars that currently exists is more or less a waiver of a proportion of VRT - without VRT it's no longer necessary as new car prices would be on average 26% cheaper.
    3) Parking charges increased by 20 cent, not per cent, in a direct tax payable to the government - tax is on each ticket sold - so if the ticket is for one hour or one day, tax is the same.
    4) see 2
    5,6) This woud see road tax regulated across the board, with an eventual phasing out of road tax over 5 years, gradually increasing fuel prices, while reducing road tax, so road tax as we know it is then paid for every time you fill up your car - goes towards what the EU have also been calling for - based on usage, so those who use the roads more will pay more in tax.

Also, while cars will depreciate overnight if VRT is abolished, the next vehicle purchase will be a lot cheaper. It will stimulate the new car market, as anyone who may at present for example, be considering upgrading to an 07/08 model would now be able to afford a 2010 model - increase in VAT receipts. At the end of the day, most people would be happy to pay more for their fuel if road tax was more fairly balanced and the price of their next car was maybe €5000 cheaper.

One response I received from a TD suggested that this plan would be a daily tax burden, however, the thing he didn't realise, was that most vehicle purchases are financed, so the loan taken would be paid monthly, and people than actually pay interest on VRT, so with this out of the equation, people pay less monthly for their vehicle, therefore the increase in fuel, parking etc, are negated.

• Advertisement

Also, I'm curious about this:

You say here that the previous sales figures were fuelled by credit and are unlikely to return, and I dont think anyone would argue with that.

Then in point 2 of your proposal you say that abolishing VRT would restore car sales figures to 2008 figures.

You state later that the cost-to-change for anyone buying a new car would be roughly the same because new car prices would come down as well as the second-hand value of their own car.

So, if the cost-to-change is roughly similar to what it's been previously, and the credit bubble's burst so there's fewer people able to get financing for a car purchase, how do you make the leap to the market recovering to 2008 levels?

The point is that people looking to change their car will be able to afford a newer/brand new vehicle, so if it is a new car purchase, there would be a higher VAT take. The other factor to consider is that with no VRT, prices in the republic are then actually cheaper than in the north, so we would have price stabilisation and possibly even the potential of an export market.

smartass,

what about the recite for what you paid????

that should be shown when paying the vrt.

Receipt for a private sale?

Even for garage sales, are you saying there aren't garages that would give you a favourable receipt while your spending thousands with them?

Ryanstewart: just on point 1 about the Uk tax, are you honestly saying that people not living in the Uk, with no Uk address, driving cars that are not registered in the Uk anymore are
    somehow renewing their tax each year in the Uk ? How are they going about this?

Your proposals seem conveniently geared towards the peope in border counties. Removing motor tax and vet while adding the difference to fuel increases the cost of fuel to everyone in the country bar the nicely situated people that can just nip over the border and fill up cheaply. How many petrol stations will close costing jobs and tax revenue here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

mizzieme wrote: »
    And we would miss you too not!!!
    I'm sure you wouldn't... no VRT, lower VAT, cheap drink, a proper Digital TV system and you wouldn't feel guilty when you shop in Asda. Though you would get lower wages and pay slightly more direct tax. And of course the dole is about a third what it is here.

Someone suggested to me recently that we could go a long way towards solving our financial crisis by selling Donegal. The likely buyer would be the UK, but it looks like their economy is almost as banjaxed as ours'.
    mizzieme wrote:
    NI Mercedes E220 class top of the range new £32,000 to buy same her in ROI if well over €57,000
    Going on the amount of Mercs, Audis and especially BMWs, on our roads it doesn't look like they're too expensive. I read somewhere a few years ago that we have more BMWs per capita than anywhere else in the world!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

And we would miss you too not!!! you will never get the Galway tent back if the second biggest county in ireland went truly north. my issue as with many many others is that we see no value from the taxes paid- I drive a 99 roi car and pay my taxes and work very hard [no over inflated wages along the border - but then we don't have over inflated egos that need to be boosted by big southern salaries].

Theanswers wrote: »
    There should be a tax for thoes who are resident in Dulbin. They seemily want to pay it more and I dont see why they cant. Seeing as they need there cars least, being in Dublin with public transport (dart project, luas, Dublin Bus, Bus Eirean). The rest of us in the 'country' should be exempt seeing as there is no public transport and need our cars. One poster said one should buy an older car, is a newer car not safer for our bad roads, Also I would imagine more reliable? It's not just Donegal either with bad roads, It's basically anywhere in the WEST.
    JHMEG wrote: »
    I'm sure you wouldn't... no VRT, lower VAT, cheap drink, a proper Digital TV system and you wouldn't feel guilty when you shop in Asda. Though you would get lower wages and pay slightly more direct tax. And of course the dole is about a third what it is here.

Someone suggested to me recently that we could go a long way towards solving our financial crisis by selling Donegal. The likely buyer would be the UK, but it looks like their economy is almost as banjaxed as ours'.

Can we keep on-topic as to whether VRT should be abolished rather than turning this into a personal/inter-county debate?

But I looked at buying a car in NI early last year 2009 and didn't do it, but looked at the same make and model and year of car 2005 over a year later and the customs are charging the exact same fee as over a year ago even though north or south the car is of less value, I asked a customs man the reason and was told 'that's f
    g why' cant believe you guys think northern counties are the only ones paying vrt - every person who buys a car in ROI pays VRT.

There is a facility to appeal your VRT quote, and apparantly a large proportion of appeals are granted. If the amount is incorrect (and you can prove it), you'll get a refund for the difference.

Compare this and tell me then it makes sense.
    top end
    NI Mercedes E220 class top of the range new £32,000 to buy same her in ROI if well over €57,000
    ordinary class of car
    Reanult magane or peugeot 308 - 11,000 in NI and €19,500- 21,000 now come on is it not time to get real!

We've been through this a million times. Wages are higher here than in the UK. I think the example I dug up last time we debated this was that Aldi advertise for managers and pay €60,000 in ROI and £40,000 in the UK. You can't insist that everything costs the exact same in both countries.

• Advertisement

I have a question about this vrt.

is the vrt is 36% of the price of the car in the south, or the price you paid for it?

because the calculator on the tax website calculates the price of the car in the south,... doesn't it?

The reason VRT is based on the price of the car in Ireland versus the price of the car in the UK is to provide a level playing field. It's actually a fairer way of doing things. The amount of VRT included (notionally) in the price of a 2007 Mondeo in ROI should be the same as the VRT amount charged on an imported 2007 Mondeo. If it's not then surely that will distort the market.

1) Road tax on NI reg vehicles currently gets paid to the UK. By allowing an amnesty, the government would allow these vehicles to be registered in the Republic, then collecting all road tax on vehicles until the end of their use.

But those drivers should be paying ROI road tax anyway. There should be no need for an amnesty, you should be supporting a further clampdown on tax evaders if you're worried about revenue for the government....

2) It would be phased out over a period of six months to allow used car dealers to run down their stocks, as used car dealers are the only industry affected by the removal of VRT. The tax rebate is to the dealer - not the customer, to keep them afloat during the transition - the scrappage deal on new cars that currently exists is more or less a waiver of a proportion of VRT - without VRT it's no longer necessary as new car prices would be on average 26% cheaper.

6 months is nowhere near long enough. Everyone will just wait till the 6 months is up before buying a new car. You'll just take the momentum out of the car market even further.
    It's exactly what happened in 2008.

3) Parking charges increased by 20 cent, not per cent, in a direct tax payable to the government - tax is on each ticket sold - so if the ticket is for one hour or one day, tax is the same.

I misread that, that's not as bad but are you sure it'll raise the revenue you expect?

5,6) This woud see road tax regulated across the board, with an eventual phasing out of road tax over 5 years, gradually increasing fuel prices, while reducing road tax, so road tax as we know it is then paid for every time you fill up your car - goes towards what the EU have also been calling for - based on usage, so those who use the roads more will pay more in tax.

I don't have the figures to hand, but the sums have been done before. If I recall correctly it would take an increase of 12c+ per litre to negate a removal for VRT. Maybe someone can dig up the figures.

Also, while cars will depreciate overnight if VRT is abolished, the next vehicle purchase will be a lot cheaper. It will stimulate the new car market, as anyone who may at present for example, be considering upgrading to an 07/08 model would now be able to afford a 2010 model - increase in VAT receipts. At the end of the day, most people would be happy to pay more for their fuel if road tax was more fairly balanced and the price of their next car was maybe €5000 cheaper.

But again, the new car is €5k cheaper and their trade in is worth €4k less. They're borrowing nearly the exact same amount of money, but they're now probably in negative equity on their current car.
    Credit is hard enough to come by at the moment, no lenders will do balloon payments, if you have any form of negative equity on your car then you're married to it until the loan's paid off.

One response I received from a TD suggested that this plan would be a daily tax burden, however, the thing he didn't realise, was that most vehicle purchases are financed, so the loan taken would be paid monthly, and people than actually pay interest on VRT, so with this out of the equation, people pay less monthly for their vehicle, therefore the increase in fuel, parking etc, are negated.

What about the haulage industry and taxi industry? VRT changes won't negate the increases you're putting on their running costs.

The point is that people looking to change their car will be able to afford a newer/brand new vehicle, so if it is a new car purchase, there would be a higher VAT take. The other factor to consider is that with no VRT, prices in the republic are then actually cheaper than in the north, so we would have price stabilisation and possibly even the potential of an export market.

Pre-tax prices in ROI are artifically low. If you remove the VRT burden I'll guarantee that the importers will increase their prices in line with the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Pre-tax prices in ROI are artifically low. If you remove the VRT burden I'll guarantee that the importers will increase their prices in line with the UK.
    Are they lower like-for-like? My understanding is they're lower here because of the lower spec, esp when it comes to base models. ie 1.6L engines where a 1.8 is the smallest in the UK, manual windows in the back (a German favourite), lots of black plastic trim, no a/c, no electric mirrors, no alloys etc?

But those drivers should be paying ROI road tax anyway. There should be no need for an amnesty, you should be supporting a further clampdown on tax evaders if you're worried about revenue for the government....

6 months is nowhere near long enough. Everyone will just wait till the 6 months is up before buying a new car. You'll just take the momentum out of the car market even further.
    It's exactly what happened in 2008.

I misread that, that's not as bad but are you sure it'll raise the revenue you expect?

I don't have the figures to hand, but the sums have been done before. If I recall correctly it would take an increase of 12c+ per litre to negate a removal for VRT. Maybe someone can dig up the figures.

But again, the new car is €5k cheaper and their trade in is worth €4k less. They're borrowing nearly the exact same amount of money, but they're now probably in negative equity on their current car.
    Credit is hard enough to come by at the moment, no lenders will do balloon payments, if you have any form of negative equity on your car then you're married to it until the loan's paid off.

Firstly, the point of the amnesty is to allow people to register their car in the south so they can pay irish road tax - you can't do that while the car is registered in a different state, and apart from that Customs only raised €10000 in fines, in an operation which lasted weeks so it's not cost-effective to enforce VRT either.

The estimated figure is about 10 cent per litre if it's based solely on fuel, so these other measures should allow this to be minimised - I've been talking to a few politicians about rebated fuel for the haluage industry, etc but have no info on this yet, but as far as taxi drivers etc goes, it adds the incentive for them to purchase a newer more fuel efficient vehicle, and with the price falling for a new vehicle by thousands, it balances this out, while any price rise will normally be passed on to the end user anyway, similar to what you suggest would happen with vehicle importers putting their prices up to match NI prices - it wouldn't surprise me if they did it, as that's how rip-off republic earned it's title.

These measures should balance out the affordability of meeting the tax requirement that would be lost from VRT, and the figures I have put forward are in fact very conservative - if they were over ambitious, they wouldn't get looked at, eg, pay and display car park spaces - a lot more than 100000 of them in the country, and the figure isn't based on full occupancy either. Some of the changes may sound harsh to start with, although in the longer run it will be much better for the economy, much more stable tax base, and protect thousands of jobs in the motoring industry. It's also not the final solution, that's why I wanted the politicians to consider the options and further research the figures - that's what they're paid for after all - but it's a positive step to a solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

It doesn't make a difference what the pre-tax price is because it's not what people pay for it.

If pre tax price is 10p or 10k who cares? It's the buying price that matters!

Firstly, the point of the amnesty is to allow people to register their car in the south so they can pay irish road tax - you can't do that while the car is registered in a different state, and apart from that Customs only raised €10000 in fines, in an operation which lasted weeks so it's not cost-effective to enforce VRT either.

If you've been resident in the UK (or wherever else) for an appropriate amount of time, you get to import the car VRT-free to allow you to drive legally in Ireland and pay your motor tax etc. just as any other Irish resident does.

If you're resident in Ireland and have been shirking your tax liabilities (VRT or Motor Tax), then those amounts should be paid by you including all arrears. I still don't see why an amnesty is warranted or desirable.

I believe there are changes to the information that the insurance companies supply to the revenue etc. with regard to the foreign registered cars they insure and how long they've been insured. This will make it far easier to identify drivers who are operating their car illegally in Ireland and will be a far more cost effective method than simple road-side stops.

Making the customs/revenue services more efficient is a much better way to enforce payment of tax than just letting tax evaders off the hook and starting again.

The estimated figure is about 10 cent per litre if it's based solely on fuel, so these other measures should allow this to be minimised - I've been talking to a few politicians about rebated fuel for the haluage industry, etc but have no info on this yet, but as far as taxi drivers etc goes, it adds the incentive for them to purchase a newer more fuel efficient vehicle, and with the price falling for a new vehicle by thousands, it balances this out, while any price rise will normally be passed on to the end user anyway, similar to what you suggest would happen with vehicle importers putting their prices up to match NI prices - it wouldn't surprise me if they did it, as that's how rip-off republic earned it's title.

The taxi drivers are already up in arms about their industry, they've done blockades in Dublin (I'm not sure about the other city centres). They're currently strongly resisting the new regulation that requires their cars to be less than 9 years old.
    Do you seriously think they'll shrug off a fuel increase (to subsidise the people who don't want to pay VRT) saying "ah well, sure I'll just buy a newer, more effient car to decrease my fuel usage".

These measures should balance out the affordability of meeting the tax requirement that would be lost from VRT, and the figures I have put forward are in fact very conservative - if they were over ambitious, they wouldn't get looked at, eg, pay and display car park spaces - a lot more than 100000 of them in the country, and the figure isn't based on full occupancy either. Some of the changes may sound harsh to start with, although in the longer run it will be much better for the economy, much more stable tax base, and protect thousands of jobs in the motoring industry. It's also not the final solution, that's why I wanted the politicians to consider the options and further research the figures - that's what they're paid for after all - but it's a positive step to a solution.

But again, conservative or not, I'm not sure why your figures are required.
    Why is there a necessity to remove VRT?
    Why would you destabilise the car market with this measure?
    Why would you depreciate the motoring public's cars and put them in further financial strife?
    Why are you proposing these gigantic, sweeping changes that will affect the general driving public as a method of catering for a small minority of people who haven't bothered to pay their tax?

Please don't say "because it's illegal".

The change in the VRT system in 2008, and the cack-handed way in which it was implemented, had a massive impact on the motor industry and the general motoring public. If you're going to risk another siesmic shift, you'd want to have a watertight reason and a watertight implementation plan. Too many of my friends were made redundant, and too many people are in negative equity on their cars for you to put the boot in further just so you don't have to pay your taxes.

steve06 wrote: »
    It doesn't make a difference what the pre-tax price is because it's not what people pay for it.

If pre tax price is 10p or 10k who cares? It's the buying price that matters!

I'm not sure if I understand you Steve. If you remove the tax, then the pre-tax price is the buying price.

If you remove VRT, our VAT is still higher than the UK so cars will still be more expensive. But the playing field will be a bit more level and realistic.

Really though the whole VRT argument is pointless because even though I'm against it, at this stage there's nothing we can really do because the country needs the money. And I'm of the opinion at this stage that motor tax is a bigger problem - not all of us want to drive a prius and it kills me to hand over obnoxious amounts of money just to drive my car!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

If you remove VRT, our VAT is still higher than the UK so cars will still be more expensive. But the playing field will be a bit more level and realistic.

Our pre-VAT prices are lower than the UK, so initially it would be cheaper to buy the car here, VAT inclusive than it is in the UK.

Manufacturers / importers would increase the Pre-Tax price to achieve parity in the 2 markets (and make more profit), which should also protect the sales in the UK.

R.O.R wrote: »
    Our pre-VAT prices are lower than the UK, so initially it would be cheaper to buy the car here, VAT inclusive than it is in the UK.

Manufacturers / importers would increase the Pre-Tax price to achieve parity in the 2 markets (and make more profit), which should also protect the sales in the UK.
    Still better than paying VRT because the difference will be small!

And sure even with VRT it's cheaper now to buy here than to buy in the UK and import - but there's a better choice over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

I thought that because we're in the EU and the freedom of movement of goods that VRT is illeagle. Can't understand how this sham of a goverment are getting away with it.

200motels wrote: »
    I thought that because we're in the EU and the freedom of movement of goods that VRT is illeagle. Can't understand how this sham of a goverment are getting away with it.
    If you thought that then you're wrong and have a lot of reading to do - it's not an import tax, it's a registration tax - it's not illegal, just unfair!

If you've been resident in the UK (or wherever else) for an appropriate amount of time, you get to import the car VRT-free to allow you to drive legally in Ireland and pay your motor tax etc. just as any other Irish resident does.

If you're resident in Ireland and have been shirking your tax liabilities (VRT or Motor Tax), then those amounts should be paid by you including all arrears. I still don't see why an amnesty is warranted or desirable.

I believe there are changes to the information that the insurance companies supply to the revenue etc. with regard to the foreign registered cars they insure and how long they've been insured. This will make it far easier to identify drivers who are operating their car illegally in Ireland and will be a far more cost effective method than simple road-side stops.

Making the customs/revenue services more efficient is a much better way to enforce payment of tax than just letting tax evaders off the hook and starting again.

The taxi drivers are already up in arms about their industry, they've done blockades in Dublin (I'm not sure about the other city centres). They're currently strongly resisting the new regulation that requires their cars to be less than 9 years old.
    Do you seriously think they'll shrug off a fuel increase (to subsidise the people who don't want to pay VRT) saying "ah well, sure I'll just buy a newer, more effient car to decrease my fuel usage".

But again, conservative or not, I'm not sure why your figures are required.
    Why is there a necessity to remove VRT?
    Why would you destabilise the car market with this measure?
    Why would you depreciate the motoring public's cars and put them in further financial strife?
    Why are you proposing these gigantic, sweeping changes that will affect the general driving public as a method of catering for a small minority of people who haven't bothered to pay their tax?

Please don't say "because it's illegal".

The change in the VRT system in 2008, and the cack-handed way in which it was implemented, had a massive impact on the motor industry and the general motoring public. If you're going to risk another siesmic shift, you'd want to have a watertight reason and a watertight implementation plan. Too many of my friends were made redundant, and too many people are in negative equity on their cars for you to put the boot in further just so you don't have to pay your taxes.

First of all, it's not only people with north reg cars that are penalised, it's everyone - it's an unfair tax which needs dealt with. It's only when people go to change their vehicle that they will see the effects of the removal of VRT - granted their current car will be worth less, but their newer car will also cost them a lot less. The figures speak for themselves as far as an amnesty goes - it makes perfect sense.

Secondly, the so-called destabilisation of the car industry following the changes in 2008 was completely over exaggerated - the VRT take alone is symbolic of that - it dropped from 1.4 billion in 2007 to 1.1 billion in 2008 - so where was the problem - it was a sixth month lag, which quickly reversed itself.

Thirdly, it puts the economy as far as motoring tax take is concerned on a much stronger footing as it's a more stable tax base which is less vulnerable to changes in the economic climate.

Do you also really think the taxi drivers would turn down the opportunity to get a more newer, more fuel efficient car for thousands of euro less? And despite the provisions made in the Finance Act a few months ago, Customs are still required to enforce it. A bigger worry is that the government have plans well advanced to hand over VRT collection to Applus, a Spanish company who run NCT here in Ireland, and introduce pre-NCT inspection to ensure the correct values are applied to imported cars, ie if your car has alloys or other modifications which mean it's worth more, they add this to the price as it's not "factory spec". The test costs will not be passed to the general public, but ultimately the exchequer loses out as Applus will get a cut of any VRT collected, so the taxpayer is further out of pocket. There is a much bigger picture in this, and the sweeping changes will positively affect the general driving public.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Secondly, the so-called destabilisation of the car industry following the changes in 2008 was completely over exaggerated

You Sir have just proved you haven't a feckin clue about what happened.

R.O.R wrote: »
    You Sir have just proved you haven't a feckin clue about what happened.
    Drop in sales

According to statistics from the Society of the Irish Motor Industry (SIMI), car sales fell by 10% in February amid the uncertainty of the new regime. Surprisingly though, the sales figure for the first two months of 2008 has only seen a 1.12% drop on the same period in 2007. Those who do buy before the 1st July deadline can avail of the new road tax system, which is based on emissions too. This would further reduce the running cost of a vehicle that emits at a low CO2 rate.
    Consumer choice

If car sales are not dramatically falling, are consumers taking account of the new VRT system? According to a survey from National Irish Bank, they are. As much as 42% of Irish consumers who plan to buy a car in 2008 have revealed that they will wait until after 1st July. And of that number, 72% will consider buying a diesel rather than petrol vehicle. This is a dramatic change in preference, as under the current market structure Irish consumers choose petrol engines 80% of the time. Could this be the signal of a new market emerging?
    According to Brendan O’Hora, Head of Communications at National Irish Bank, “the survey shows that consumers are conscious of the savings that can be made by shopping around for the best car loan deal, with over half of them planning to shop around for the best rate.”

From SIMI's website - I don't pretend to know everything, unlike some people on here, and I'm happy to stand corrected - I'm not a politician with all the answers! Are you a motor dealer perhaps, ROR? Also regarding the other points made, do they not make sense to you? While the previous changes in 2008 could have been better dealt with, they were necessary, as I believe the changes to VRT are also necessary. Bear in mind too that the dept of finance is also predicting further falls in VRT for this year, despite the scrappage scheme. It makes sense to make the move quickly and where the damage to the economy will be minimised. This should actually lead to more security in the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I don't pretend to know everything, unlike some people on here, and I'm happy to stand corrected

Fair enough.
    Bear in mind too that the dept of finance is also predicting further falls in VRT for this year, despite the scrappage scheme.

They're not. Car sales are up.

Look, it is quite simple, the government only takes in about two thirds of what it spends. Many new taxes will have to be imposed, there is no scope whatsoever for removing an important one.

ardmacha wrote: »
    They're not. Car sales are up.
    That doesn't make a difference to VRT take, because the cars that are being bought, have a lower VRT rates than they used to. So the VRT take will more than likely be down!

• Advertisement

That doesn't make a difference to VRT take, because the cars that are being bought, have a lower VRT rates than they used to. So the VRT take will more than likely be down!

The cars bought last year were mostly low Co2 aswell.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement