Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Faloon signing is going to be announced tomorrow
    Has Ofisa signed a contract with Connacht for next season or is Faloon coming in as a replacement in the backrow for Ofisa?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Has Ofisa signed a contract with Connacht for next season or is Faloon coming in as a replacement in the backrow for Ofisa?

He's in his final year. Great servant to Connacht, an absolute legend out west.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Wonder what took so long to announce Faloon was leaving?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Don't know but he is a step backward for Conbacht compared to Ofisa. We don't need Ulster players that are B team players, NOC and McCrea have already proved that.
    I'd feel a lot more enthused if we signed a young player from Leinster/Munster which Carr, Croinin, Hagan and Keatley have proved that.
    There is a ton of Munster and Leinster players that would benefit with a stint with Connacht which all teams should try and push a little more. Munster now have 4/5 quality hookers and 2 of them will be lucky to get 20mins of league rugby next season. Frustrating to say the least for Irish rugby, there should be a better system

I like Faloon, a lot.

JOC needs to give him some steel, and he can be an absolutely excellent "fetcher". Had the new breakdown interpretations not hampered the 7s game, Faloon would've had Ireland caps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

d-gal wrote: »
    Don't know but he is a step backward for Conbacht compared to Ofisa. We don't need Ulster players that are B team players, NOC and McCrea have already proved that.
    I'd feel a lot more enthused if we signed a young player from Leinster/Munster which Carr, Croinin, Hagan and Keatley have proved that.
    There is a ton of Munster and Leinster players that would benefit with a stint with Connacht which all teams should try and push a little more. Munster now have 4/5 quality hookers and 2 of them will be lucky to get 20mins of league rugby next season. Frustrating to say the least for Irish rugby, there should be a better system

Faloon is an excellent player, anytime i've seen him i've been really impressed, not the biggest but he's excellent on the ground. He'll be a great addition to Connacht.

who are the 4/5 quality hookers at Munster? Sherry for all the hype rarely plays for them, Fogarty cannot throw into the lineout. Maybe Henry would be a welcome signing at Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

bamboozle wrote: »
    Faloon is an excellent player, anytime i've seen him i've been really impressed, not the biggest but he's excellent on the ground. He'll be a great addition to Connacht.

who are the 4/5 quality hookers at Munster? Sherry for all the hype rarely plays for them, Fogarty cannot throw into the lineout. Maybe Henry would be a welcome signing at Connacht.

Simple question. Are Sherry, Fogarty or Henry better than Reynecke or Flavin?

Sherry is talked up but I haven't seen it yet. Fogarty and Henry aren't as good IMO.

Flav is going to be 33 this summer though so maybe a punt on Henry might not be the worst idea.

bamboozle wrote: »

Sherry is talked up but I haven't seen it yet. Fogarty and Henry aren't as good IMO.

Flav is going to be 33 this summer though so maybe a punt on Henry might not be the worst idea.

Sherry is miles better, he was very impressive before his injury.
    Henry would be very much welcome. Outstanding in the AIL and B&I and didn't look out of place when he came on for Munster in the rabo.
    I hate us signing journeymen like Reynecke who are average at best and Flavin is getting on a bit. I'd much prefer Henry who we could develop like Croinin.
    I really like the look of Scanlon for the u20s, reckon he could be a great player in a couple of years.

I'd agree with saying if JOC toughened up Faloon he might be good but personally if we have an option of developing Coneeley/Heffernan or taking an Ulster leftover then I'd take developing or own anyday of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Henry would be very much welcome. Outstanding in the AIL and B&I and didn't look out of place when he came on for Munster in the rabo.
    I hate us signing journeymen like Reynecke who are average at best and Flavin is getting on a bit. I'd much prefer Henry who we could develop like Croinin.
    I really like the look of Scanlon for the u20s, reckon he could be a great player in a couple of years.

I'd agree with saying if JOC toughened up Faloon he might be good but personally if we have an option of developing Coneeley/Heffernan or taking an Ulster leftover then I'd take developing or own anyday of the week.

I wouldn't dismiss Faloon as an Ulster "leftover" so easily. I don't think McLaughlin fancies him at Ulster. He prefers 3 massive men in the BR, Faloon hasn't gotten a look in. He's a very clever player, and should do well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Faloon is a good player

I know alot of Ulster fans can't understand why he's being cut loose, and that's a good sign for us. He chose us over a number of other clubs as well.

He'll add pace to the back row and is a good man to get a try, picks great supporting lines. Happy with this

Could Eddie O Sullivan be next out west?

• Advertisement

Fair enough but Reynecke has scored a few tries now for us and has really bought into Connacht ethos. Remember his open letter to the fans, booming with passion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Faloon is a fantastic signing for Connaught... You will eat your words on this one.... Can't understand why Ulster are letting him go, but obviously new coach has his own ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Sherry has been injured. Looked good before the injury and has been reasonably impressive since coming back, I think he's getting better and I think he's better than Reynecke and Flavin.

Fogarty is excellent in the loose but is a bit of a liability when it comes to line-outs, no one knows whether he'll hit his man or not. And it might just be me, but he looks a bit overweight imo. Still think he could be a useful option for Connacht if he did go.

As for Henry, I think he's looked better than Fogarty and the fact that he's Connacht-born and young are points in his favour. As a Munster fan, I'd prefer to keep him but realistically, Sherry and Varley have the 2 hooker positions nailed down for the next couple of years.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Luke Fitzgerald's game of contract footsie with Leinster appears to have "broken down".

He's a bit of a Gaelgoir, let's get some of those sweet sweet Udaras famine relief grants business incentives to pay for his contract. Whack Teoranta after the name, have someone paid to answer the phones as Gaelige and we're away.

I see Faloon's been confirmed now, a good signing.

Sad to see Ofisa on the way out. He's a man who gave everything with no regard for his own wellbeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Sherry has been injured. Looked good before the injury and has been reasonably impressive since coming back, I think he's getting better and I think he's better than Reynecke and Flavin.

Fogarty is excellent in the loose but is a bit of a liability when it comes to line-outs, no one knows whether he'll hit his man or not. And it might just be me, but he looks a bit overweight imo. Still think he could be a useful option for Connacht if he did go.

As for Henry, I think he's looked better than Fogarty and the fact that he's Connacht-born and young are points in his favour. As a Munster fan, I'd prefer to keep him but realistically, Sherry and Varley have the 2 hooker positions nailed down for the next couple of years.

Fogarty's problem is that he cannot throw into the lineout, he's the worst lineout thrower i've seen in the professional game. Around the park he's always been excellent.
    Henry would be a good signing for Connacht (& for player himself) as would Aaron Dundon the Leinster 3rd choice hooker, running amok with Clontarf in the AIL for the last 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

I'm surprised at the reaction to the signing of Faloon. I always rated him - I definitely wouldn't put him in the category of Ulster leftovers. Muldoon, Faloon and Naoupu would be a well balanced backrow, and would at least hold it own against most teams.

Henry would be a good signing as well. Flavin may be better than him now, but he will be 33 in the summer, and if those lapses in defence this season are a sign that he is slowing up, then it would be a good idea to get in a hooker with potential as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

We have so many good young lads in the back 5 now and I hope they get a chance. Browne is still 24 and himself and Nolan will be like new signings next year. Kearney has been a great addition and is another blatant advertisement that you will improve a lot more as a player with gametime.
    I hope McKeown puts on some size over the summer and he will be a proper contender for the backrow.
    It remains unseen if Elwood rates Conneely but at least he has given Heffernan a match.

PS Fair play to wegians, buccs and Corinthians of late, they have given plenty of youth a chance this season and it is paying dividends for them, great to see

Flincher wrote: »
    I'm surprised at the reaction to the signing of Faloon. I always rated him - I definitely wouldn't put him in the category of Ulster leftovers. Muldoon, Faloon and Naoupu would be a well balanced backrow, and would at least hold it own against most teams.

Henry would be a good signing as well. Flavin may be better than him now, but he will be 33 in the summer, and if those lapses in defence this season are a sign that he is slowing up, then it would be a good idea to get in a hooker with potential as soon as possible.

I don't see Faloon starting ahead of our current player of the year O'Connor but JOC tends to only play 60% of Connacht's games most years. So this is a sweet signing.

Personally I don't think we need any 2nd row or back row players. There are 6 lads in 2nd row I am happy with and about 8 in the back row.

We must address (in this order):
    1. the gaps
    2. the departed
    3. then the quality

We have addressed two of our 3 gaps; Tight head and Outhalf. I believe he is looking for Layden, Finn and the recovery of Tuohy for the wing instead of new signings.

The departed, like no. 7 and centre. We've brought in Faloon and whilst we've brought in Tonetti for Matthews I can't see Fa'afili hanging around so that'll have to be addressed too.

Then quality issues. Positions where we aren't atrocious but that the current players are a 6/10 or 7/10 on a good day but are consistent. Like Hooker, Scrum Half, Wing.

So with a Tighthead, Outhalf and No. 7 signed. I reckon we’ll sign a Hooker and Scrum Half. Possibly a Centre or Winger too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Winger not needed

Vainikolo, Tuohy, McCrea, Loxton, O Halloran.

Leyden, Finn and Boland coming through. Tonetti can cover wing as well

We do need a hooker as another option

Scrum half won't happen, 3 signed on for next year. As much as I'd like one, I can't see it.

A centre is needed I think. Whitten would have been a good addition, pity we missed the boat there.

Can't see much other incomings

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭ed7890

We do need a hooker as another option

I wonder if there's any chance of getting Sean Henry off Munster. He's a Connacht man anyway, and even with Flannery gone, Munster have a good few options at hooker; Varley, Sherry, Fogerty plus young guys like Niall Scannell, Duncan Casey and James Rael.

EDIT: Woops, didn't see it already came up in the thread.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Scrum half won't happen, 3 signed on for next year. As much as I'd like one, I can't see it.

Was the Richie Rees rumour just that then? The likes of Jamie Roberts tweeting about it would seem to indicate it was more than a rumour...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Robbo wrote: »
    Luke Fitzgerald's game of contract footsie with Leinster appears to have "broken down".
    With the IRFU not with Leinster. Schmidt has expressed frustration that Dawson and him can't sit down with Fitzgerald and negotiate a deal.

Apparently the IRFU offer is 80,000 down on his last contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

There's a good name for hooker I haven't seen in the discussion. Brian Blaney, former Leinster man, released by London Irish, he's 30 and could have 2 or 3 good years with us..

connachta wrote: »
    There's a good name for hooker I haven't seen in the discussion. Brian Blaney, former Leinster man, released by London Irish, he's 30 and could have 2 or 3 good years with us..

He's no better than Flavin or Reynecke and no younger either. We're just adding to the wage bill.

A good centre and Sean Henry will do.

Also praying to GOD, ROG will start at Munster till he's 40, Keatley'll get fed up and cruise back up the N18 in a year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

He's no better than Flavin or Reynecke and no younger either. We're just adding to the wage bill.

A good centre and Sean Henry will do.

Also praying to GOD, ROG will start at Munster till he's 40, Keatley'll get fed up and cruise back up the N18 in a year or two.

Better and younger than Flavin, and probably full of revange feeling, after his lack of gametime. But a young guy like Henry could be ok too, in any case we need a player with minimun experience not a 18y lad from leinster academy..

Agree with you for centre THE second priority, dunno if we're allowed another NIQ because Ofisa is off. If so, there's for example Simon Webster, has played with Parks for Scotland, could be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

think tim visseer brother sepp is being let go by edinburgh at the end of the season could be worth a look?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Very sad to see Ray go

Connacht got alot of foreign-flops over the years- he is defiantly not one of them- saying he was 100% Committed doesn't do the man justice, would literaly break his bones for his team

I am excited to see Faloon down west, don't agree that he is in the McCrea or NOC category of unwanted Ulstermen- feel it is a real coup for us, always thought he was quality player when saw him play

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Funk It

think tim visseer brother sepp is being let go by edinburgh at the end of the season could be worth a look?

I played against Sep when he was on the wing (I think he played a bit at fullback as well) for Boroughmuir, was told after the game who he was and can't say that I was overly impressed. Bradley was there that evening, and maybe he saw something I didn't as he signed him a few weeks after. Tim Visser is a different kettle of fish, he is going to add some firepower to the Scottish attack in next years 6 Nations. Maybe Sep will prove himself yet, hes still young, but would have O'Halloran ahead of him anytime, and if Layden and Finn are as good as I'm hearing, it would be pointless to be bringing in another NIQ unproven youngster.

Landing Faloon is class, my Ulster friends are kicking up quiet a stink over it, he was really rated up in Ulster but just wasn't getting consistent gametime.

Still hoping that the Richie Rees rumour becomes fact. Great work being done behind the scenes at Connacht.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭seanin4711

They're making some great signings for next year, I think you're being a bit over negative.

next season is next season.
    I am on about who (and there are many) to cut loose to make way for some talent!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement