Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Rickwellwood

Huge Farrelly mentions Willie Faloon as a possible signing for us for next season in todays indo - welcome and great addition if true - Ray Ofisa is a connacht legend and it would seem that he wont be offered another year with faloon coming in possibly - we really need to get strings in here too also and as the TOL to Perpignan deal appears to be off now strings may look here maybe as he'll be down the order and especially if we get HC rugby next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Has the Faloon deal not been announced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Heres the text from the independent story.

CONNACHT are hoping to sign Ireland 'A' flanker Willie Faloon when his Ulster contract runs out at the end of the season, writes Hugh Farrelly.

Faloon, a natural openside, has struggled for game time with Ulster under Brian McLaughlin, who has played Chris Henry out of position at 7 to accommodate Pedrie Wannenburg.

While Connacht would not confirm their interest, it is understood that the province have been in discussions with the 25-year-old, who has also been attracting interest from France.

Bit disingenuous to Henry there

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

shuffol wrote: »
    A few years ago he was seen as an 8 then a 6/8 and now a utility backrow forward all though some in the media harp on Henry is a 6/8 and not a true 7

A few years ago he was seen as an 8 then a 6/8 and now a utility backrow forward all though some in the media harp on Henry is a 6/8 and not a true 7
    Not true, he says himself that he sees himself as a 7 as much as anything now.

I personally never saw him playing 7 after the way he was playing in '09 but he has shown a natural abikity for it this season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

I think he's having his strongest season at the moment, lacks a bit of power at 6/8 IMO. Farrelly has always been a big admirer of Faloon though, regularly touting him as a future international and bemoaning his lack of gametime for Ulster.

I think he's having his strongest season at the moment, lacks a bit of power at 6/8 IMO. Farrelly has always been a big admirer of Faloon though, regularly touting him as a future international and bemoaning his lack of gametime for Ulster.
    Faloon will be a great player for Connacht. An international openside he will never be though imo (lacks power). If O'Connor is fit, Faloon wouldn't even be the best 7 in Connacht!

Faloon has the skills, but not the grit imo.

He struggles in the physical stakes vs a lot of bigger, less clever operators. JOC would be the man to teach him a thing or two about that though!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Connacht A to face Leinster A, Wednesday March 14th.
    15. Matthew Jarvis, 14. James Loxton, 13. Brian Murphy, 12. Tadhg Leader, 11. Darragh Leader, 10. Jack Carty (c), 9. Dave Moore

1. Finlay Bealham, 2. Dermot Murphy, 3. Rodney Ah You, 4. Conor Kindegren,
    5. Mick Kearney, 6. Dave Heffernan, 7. Eoghan Grace, 8. Eoin McKeon

16. Kevin O’Byrne, 17. Dennis Buckley, 18. Jamie Stephens 19. Brian Moylett, 20. Isaac O’Grady, 21. Mark Dolan, 22. Matt Dever, 23. Conor Fitzgibbon
    Of note are the returns of James Loxton and Rodney Ah You from injury. I think Dermot Murphy's been injured as well. More gametime for Grace and Kearney who I suspect are being factored into long term plans.

If one of the Leader's breaks through, I will take great satisfaction in chanting "nananananananananananaana Leader".

Robbo wrote: »
    Connacht A to face Leinster A, Wednesday March 14th.

Of note are the returns of James Loxton and Rodney Ah You from injury. I think Dermot Murphy's been injured as well. More gametime for Grace and Kearney who I suspect are being factored into long term plans.

If one of the Leader's breaks through, I will take great satisfaction in chanting "nananananananananananaana Leader".

No offense but I don't think Connacht A have a hope especially in the pack. McGrath, Hagan, Thorn in the tight five alone. Its just a stronger 15. Then Ruddock, Ryan, Auva'a in the back row.

15: Andrew Conway
    14: Andrew Boyle
    13: Brendan Macken
    12: Colm O’Shea
    11: Darren Hudson
    10: Mat Berquist
    9: John Cooney
    1: Jack McGrath CAPTAIN
    2: Aaron Dundon
    3: Jamie Hagan
    4: Brad Thorn
    5: Mark Flanagan
    6: Rhys Ruddock
    7: Dominic Ryan
    8: Leo Auva’a
    REPLACEMENTS FROM: Tom Sexton, James Tracy, Martin Moore, Jordi Murphy, David Doyle, Alan O’Connor, Noel Reid, Steve Crosbie, Sam Coghlan-Murray

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Must be an exciting prospect for the Connacht youngsters to play against Thorn and equally for the Leinster lads to play with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

15: Andrew Conway
    14: Andrew Boyle
    13: Brendan Macken
    12: Colm O’Shea
    11: Darren Hudson
    10: Mat Berquist
    9: John Cooney
    1: Jack McGrath CAPTAIN
    2: Aaron Dundon
    3: Jamie Hagan
    4: Brad Thorn
    5: Mark Flanagan
    6: Rhys Ruddock
    7: Dominic Ryan
    8: Leo Auva’a
    REPLACEMENTS FROM: Tom Sexton, James Tracy, Martin Moore, Jordi Murphy, David Doyle, Alan O’Connor, Noel Reid, Steve Crosbie, Sam Coghlan-Murray

..yikes.. That backrow alone is dynamite- then add in Hagan and some chancer called Brad Thorn and that is one strong pack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Has to be some kick in the teeth for Hagan to be playing against the Connacht A team, complete step backwards for him at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

d-gal wrote: »
    Has to be some kick in the teeth for Hagan to be playing against the Connacht A team, complete step backwards for him at the moment

He's being developed like most other players in Leinster, Ruddock, Conway and D Ryan are also in that team. I think he is getting plenty senior gametime, especially considering he is competing with players like Ross and White. He's already started in the HEC for Leinster.

Hagan has done more at this stage than Mike Ross had done. So that's encouraging.

Nathan White is better than him though, although he'd never be caught dead playing for a bunch of wasters like Connacht, would he? :D

It's a long shot, but is this (A Game) on TV at all? Highlights?

Tox56 wrote: »
    He's being developed like most other players in Leinster, Ruddock, Conway and D Ryan are also in that team. I think he is getting plenty senior gametime, especially considering he is competing with players like Ross and White. He's already started in the HEC for Leinster.

Oh I know that but it has to be frustrating going backwards to go forwards. I always thought an extra year would do him the world of good.
    Bit worried for Conway, he is going to find it hard to break through, very hard to live up to the massive hype he had a couple of years ago

Bit worried for Conway, he is going to find it hard to break through, very hard to live up to the massive hype he had a couple of years ago
    What makes you worried? He's been injured this season but when fit has generally featured at Rabo level.

If he had been fit all year I think he would have been ahead of D. Kearney during Fitz's injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

What is joint all time top try scorer at the junior world championships not living up to potential?

He's 20 years old for crying out loud.

All of these games will help our young guys in their development and exposure to this level of rugby will only benefit them ahead of next year's British and Irish Cup.'

http://www.connachtrugby.ie/2012031382788/connacht-a-xv-v-leinster-a
    http://www.southwalesguardian.co.uk/sport/9586545.PRINCIPALITY_PREMIERSHIP_BRIDGEND_3_LLANDOVERY_17/

Looks like Connacht will be in B&I cup next year in a 32 team competition next year. I wonder what the format will be like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

how long has Finlay Bealham been with connacht remember seeing him play for the Ireland under20`s a few years ago.his profile isn't on the connacht website as a first team player or academy player?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

Stir stir stir. Sure it has to be a kick in the teeth for Brad Thorn too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Oh I know that but it has to be frustrating going backwards to go forwards. I always thought an extra year would do him the world of good.

I doubt Hagan or Conway are too concerned so you can rest easy. They're both young and exactly where they should be in terms of progress for their ages and positions.

GerM wrote: »
    I doubt Hagan or Conway are too concerned so you can rest easy. They're both young and exactly where they should be in terms of progress for their ages and positions.
    Well Conway should be worried about his fragility rather than his position in the Leinster set up. If Conway had never suffered injuries I reckon he would be starting the HEC QF in a few weeks instead he has been injured every time he has a real chance of getting established

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭dougieruggie

Well Conway should be worried about his fragility rather than his position in the Leinster set up. If Conway had never suffered injuries I reckon he would be starting the HEC QF in a few weeks instead he has been injured every time he has a real chance of getting established

Yeah its amazing to think he was joint top try scorer in the RWC under 20s with Zac Guildford despite playing less games and in a worse team. Its a shame hes so prone to injuries.

What makes you worried? He's been injured this season but when fit has generally featured at Rabo level.

If he had been fit all year I think he would have been ahead of D. Kearney during Fitz's injury.
    its_phil wrote: »
    What is joint all time top try scorer at the junior world championships not living up to potential?

He's 20 years old for crying out loud.

As another poster mentioned he seems a bit fragile so I hope it doesn't hinder him too much. He has only played 3 full matches this year and people obviously are waiting for him to get a full season into him. The more injuries he gets the more pressure mounts and the more other players get ahead of him. That's what I would be worried about.
    lologram wrote: »
    Stir stir stir. Sure it has to be a kick in the teeth for Brad Thorn too?

Oh ffs you are not even worth replying to

As I said the Hagan thing is frustrating. Backwards to go forwards in terms of gametime. He has been poor this year overall. Supposedly completely unfit at the start of the season which is a disgrace for the S&C coaches who were over him (Connacht or Leinster). Potential to be Ireland no.3 for a long tim with a bit of luck.
    Conway hasn't progressed at the rates and knots you would expect but that is due to injury.
    We see plenty of 20year olds burst onto the scene in various different club/countries. It seems in Ireland we are nearly allergic to do it which is frustrating (not aimed at Conway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

As I said the Hagan thing is frustrating. Backwards to go forwards in terms of gametime. He has been poor this year overall. Supposedly completely unfit at the start of the season which is a disgrace for the S&C coaches who were over him (Connacht or Leinster). Potential to be Ireland no.3 for a long tim with a bit of luck.

The more injuries he gets the more pressure mounts and the more other players get ahead of him. That's what I would be worried about.

I've no idea where you've gotten your information. If Hagan was "completely unfit" he wouldn't have been starting games for Leinster. His fitness isn't where it needs to be for Leinster's game but that's the same of nearly all front row players when they arrive in Leinster due to how they play. Wright, Ross, Fogarty, Strauss...all of them took a year to get up to the level that the coaching staff demand. As it stands, Hagan was given far more game time upon arrival than those players. He was at a level of fitness you would associate with the standard prop in the Pro12. To call it a disgrace on his coaches is completely incorrect. He's a decent player but will get better. He's a kid in terms of tighthead play.

Conway has come back from a long term injury and Carr was dropped immediately for him. He's rated and unless his career is totally ruined by injury, others won't be jumping past him. There's more than a whiff of schadenfreude about your comments.

I've no idea where you've gotten your information. If Hagan was "completely unfit" he wouldn't have been starting games for Leinster. His fitness isn't where it needs to be for Leinster's game but that's the same of nearly all front row players when they arrive in Leinster due to how they play. Wright, Ross, Fogarty, Strauss...all of them took a year to get up to the level that the coaching staff demand. As it stands, Hagan was given far more game time upon arrival than those players. He was at a level of fitness you would associate with the standard prop in the Pro12. To call it a disgrace on his coaches is completely incorrect. He's a decent player but will get better. He's a kid in terms of tighthead play.

Conway has come back from a long term injury and Carr was dropped immediately for him. He's rated and unless his career is totally ruined by injury, others won't be jumping past him. There's more than a whiff of schadenfreude about your comments.

Are you for real? How would I take joy in a player being injured or suffering misfortune? What a load of tripe. Pathetic post

Oh and the reason I said the Hagan thing was that it was mentioned several times on this sight at the start of the year.

EDIT - Not responding anymore to this topic as it is after all the Connacht forum

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭liam12989

how did the connacht front row do ? Bealham and Ah You?

• Advertisement

liam12989 wrote: »
    how did the connacht front row do ? Bealham and Ah You?

From all accounts I've seen it appears the Connacht scrum was demolished, I think it led to a few of the Leinster tries.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement