Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

liam12989 wrote: »
    how did the connacht front row do ? Bealham and Ah You?
    I saw on twitter that Ah You was carded for a high arm. I believe Leinster were dominant in the scrum.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Borlase has gone back to Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭phog

Robbo wrote: »
    Borlase has gone back to Munster.

I mentioed that on the Munster thread, any idea why? Did Munster recall him?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭liam12989

will get anther year contract? i taught connacht mite offer him something.. it was between him and ah you for back up next year...

phog wrote: »
    I mentioed that on the Munster thread, any idea why? Did Munster recall him?
    No idea at all. I thought (and it only made sense this way) was that it was a deal until the end of the season. To my mind, if Munster were stuck for a prop, Borlase was so far out of contention that either the chequebook would be reached for or a mechatronic John Hayes would sitting on one of the disused assembly lines at Dell in Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭fatguy2k1

Peter was only on a short term loan. nothing exciting in him going back to munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Richie Rees to Connacht next season according to Robin Sowden Taylor and Jamie Roberts

https://twitter.com/#!/CyrilSneer82/status/182093839836786689

http://www.cardiffblues.com/news/5760.php

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

WOW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

Much, much better scrummie than what you have at the moment. Fair play to Connacht. A few more fringe players from the other provinces and promoting the likes Layden and you'll have a pretty good outfit next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Rees is a decent player, I think it's a great idea to bring in an already established half-pack pairing, they can hit the ground running at Connacht straight away.

Rees will be 29 when he joins so he will have a good few years left in him, when he got a run in the Wales team he was solid.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

How would this affect the NIQ player situation?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Are Ah-You and Vainikolo contracted for next season? I assume Naoupu was signed on a 2 year deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

my god... We'll have a scrum half with a brain :eek::eek:

White and Rees and Park oh my

CatFromHue wrote: »

nikora is iq soon if he stays so that opens a spot,

fafaili is on a 1 yr deal so more than likely going, so is rogers

ofisa is rumoured to be going also:(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Reynecke contracted through summer 2013
    White contracted through summer 2015
    Ah You contract expires
    Naoupu contracted through summer 2013
    Ofisa's contract expires
    Nikora becomes IQ
    Fa'fili contract expires
    Vainikolo contracted through summer 2013
    Parks contracted through summer 2014
    Rees??

Assuming my count is right Connacht is kept to the old NIQ rules (5+1) this would be their last NIQ for next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

What the hell? How are Connacht pulling these players. Rees is quality.

Are Ah-You and Vainikolo contracted for next season? I assume Naoupu was signed on a 2 year deal.

ah you is our project player so i would assume so

vianikolo i dont no, likes of leyden and finn coming through (plus loxton and touhy coming back) might make him surplus. Not too sure what contract he has though

super signing number 2

Who is in charge of this stuff!?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

super signing number 2

Who is in charge of this stuff!?

Surely Parks makes that 3? He may be limited but for Connacht that was a pretty good deal.

• Advertisement

Will Nikora be kept though? Parks, NOC, and Jarvis are it would seem ahead of him and I don't see a need for four outhalves. Even three is too much considering none of them will be in the line for international call ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Here's how I think we'll be looking next year:

15. Duffy
    14. O'Halloran
    13. Griffin
    12. McSharry / Tonetti
    11. Layden
    10. Parks
    9. Rees

8. George
    7. JOC / Grace
    6. Muldoon
    5. McCarthy
    4. Swift/ Browne / Gannon
    3. White
    2. Flavin / Reynecke
    1. Wilkinson

Potentially 7 home players if you manage to get Browne and JOC on the pitch.

What happened about that supposed Falloon to Connacht rumour?

Tox56 wrote: »
    Surely Parks makes that 3? He may be limited but for Connacht that was a pretty good deal.

I hate this move.

I would like to see some confidence in Jarvis. I like how he plays the game.

I realise he's not the best kicker (he's dreadful), but kicking should be a duty, not the duty of the out half.

Parks playing second fiddle to Jarvis after 2/3 of the season would be okay though.

Possible Connacht first choice XV 2012-13

15 Gavin Duffy, 14 Fetu’u Vainikolo, 13 Eoin Griffin, 12 Dave McSharry, 11 Tiernan O’Halloran, 10 Dan Parks , 9 Richie Rees;
    1 Brett Wilkinson, 2 Adrian Flavin, 3 Nathan White, 4 Michael Swift, 5 Mike McCarthy, 6 John Muldoon, 7 Jonny O’Connor, 8 George Naoupu

Bench: Reynecke, Loughney, Buckley, Browne (?), TJ Anderson, Murphy, Jarvis, Tonetti

http://rugby-transfers.blogspot.com/2011/09/connacht-2012-13.html

Taken the 1-15 from the above link, just added Richie Rees and a possible bench myself.
    Not a shabby lineup!

I hate this move.

I would like to see some confidence in Jarvis. I like how he plays the game.

I realise he's not the best kicker (he's dreadful), but kicking should be a duty, not the duty of the out half.

Parks playing second fiddle to Jarvis after 2/3 of the season would be okay though.

Connacht have lost plenty of games because of poor kicking, Parks brings that in abundance.

Edit: That is to say kicking prowess, rather than poor kicking! :D

Connacht have lost plenty of games because of poor kicking, Parks brings that in abundance.

He has the perfect game for the Sportsground.

I know, it's a "two evils" scenario.

look at that backline, and imagine them with ball in hand.

Now consider what they'll have with Parks at 10.

If they can find the blend well, it could work wonders. He's the ideal last 15 minute guy for Connacht. Probably worth 3 wins alone this season if was available off the bench.

Hopefully he can teach Jarvis some technique from the deck too.

I know, it's a "two evils" scenario.

look at that backline, and imagine them with ball in hand.

Now consider what they'll have with Parks at 10.

If they can find the blend well, it could work wonders. He's the ideal last 15 minute guy for Connacht. Probably worth 3 wins alone this season if was available off the bench.

Hopefully he can teach Jarvis some technique from the deck too.

thats the big hope.

Parks has made no secret that he wants to become a coach in the medium term. If he can bring jarvises kicking ratio up its the first step on his way to become one. Parks biggest challenge here will be to do that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Tox56 wrote: »
    What happened about that supposed Falloon to Connacht rumour?

He definitely told Ulster he was moving on. It was more than a rumour.

Maybe something has made him change his mind, but I'm fairly sure he was very close to completing the deal at one point.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement