Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

freyners wrote: »
    thats the big hope.

Parks has made no secret that he wants to become a coach in the medium term. If he can bring jarvises kicking ratio up its the first step on his way to become one. Parks biggest challenge here will be to do that

Being honest if Elwood can't teach him then there is not much hope of Parks doing any better!

I would like to see us get a better hooker than Flavin/Reynecke. I really like Sean Henry from Munster. Even Fogarty would be a good option.

I hope to God that Layden becomes a regular fairly quick. Him and TOH on the wings would be unbelievable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Hopefully the quality of the signings so far will encourage Falloon to sign, looking really good for Connacht next season, when you also consider the direction the welsh regions are going in with players leaving Connacht could be very competitive next season. All thats desperately needed now is a hooker.

Conneely, Qualter and Kearney should all be options in the pack next season too. What happened to Eoin Mckeown, has he featured at all this season, thought he was quite highly rated.

shuffol wrote: »

Conneely, Qualter and Kearney should all be options in the pack next season too. What happened to Eoin Mckeown, has he featured at all this season, thought he was quite highly rated.

McKeown not big enough yet and I doubt Conneely or Qualter will be involved next year. Qualter still has Swift, McCarthy, Browne, Nolan, Gannon (if around) and Kearney ahead of him. Plus George if he goes and gets fat again

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Are Connacht going to take any younger province players from Leinster/Munster or whoever for next season?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

shuffol wrote: »
    What happened to Eoin Mckeown, has he featured at all this season, thought he was quite highly rated.

3 appearances off the bench this year in the Heineken Cup and he did well too when I saw him

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

its_phil wrote: »
    3 appearances off the bench this year in the Heineken Cup and he did well too when I saw him
    also 2 sub appearances in the rabo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Tox56 wrote: »
    Are Connacht going to take any younger province players from Leinster/Munster or whoever for next season?

Well that was promised by the other provinces in the much-vaunted review last year, but it never materialised, so I'd say the PGB have gone out in time this season and found players themselves, rather than wait on other provinces and get left with nothing when they decide to hang onto players.
    Fair play to the PGB and Elwood for making these signings, was at the Guinness Area22 event last week and Elwood was saying he was over to Cardiff a few times to chat with Parks about signing, so they seem to be doing a good job of selling where the province is going to these players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

That's arguably the three most important positions on a rugby team that Connacht have decent players for now. The weekend showed how important tight head is and White is more than capable there. A tested half back pairing should ease any transitional pains, and a high percentage boot from Parks should help with some wins.

Connacht are always so painfully close when they lose matches (6 losing bps so far in the pro12, most out of everyone), so an extra penalty or two could help their win ratio no end.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Some very astute signings there alright. Would be a damn shame if they don't have some HEC rugby next year to use them in.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Would be a damn shame if they don't have some HEC rugby next year to use them in.

Make no mistake about it the HEC is where we want to be, but I'd be very excited about our prospects if we ended up in the Amlin.

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Some very astute signings there alright. Would be a damn shame if they don't have some HEC rugby next year to use them in.
    Did you notice where the three signings are coming from Leinster, Cardiff Cardiff. White will have motivation to win the HEC so he can compete in it next year while Rees and Parks will throw the QF to guarantee two Irish teams in the semis giving a bigger chance of an Irish winner :rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I think connacht would make a good run at the amlin but I don't think they'd be good enough to qualify through the H Cup group stages.

If they make the H Cup.I'd like to see then really try and do well in the RDP12.

Next season SHOULD be a good one for Connacht, with the young fellas coming through and the excellent signings thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

some great signings by Connacht. I'd love to see some younger/fringe players from the other provinces sign up also to get big match experience. Sean Henry, Nagle, Tommy O'Donnell, Macken, Conway, Hudson, Faloon, Noel Reid etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I think its hard to find a guy far enough down the pecking order at a province in a position of need for Connacht.

Sean Henry is one I'd really like to see take a shot out west. It isn't worth Mackens time to go and sit behind Griffin (I think hell be ahead of OMalley before Griffin). Noel Reid will be needed at leinster next season, particularly if Madigan gets called up.

Ciaran Ruddock and Eamonn Sheridan are the two guys graduating from the Leinster academy this year, Ruddock isn't needed by Connacht. Sheridan might be a very good shout though. He's a good player if he can stay fit. Probably even better than McSharry. Honestly don't think there's much hope of any academy guy leaving before graduating so Hudson etc. are out of the question.

O'Hara and DOC 2.0 are the two guys in 3rd year at Munster. O'Hara is hardly going to be needed if Connacht sign Falloon. They'll have Grace and O'Connor and Coneely coming through. O'Callaghan might be a good shout but I don't think Munster will let him go... Although they have a lot of backrowers for next season so it might be worth his while.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Dave O'Callaghan has just signed a development contract with Munster starting from next season so he's going nowhere.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

From Connacht Rugby:
    Connacht Rugby’s season has been given a massive boost with four players committing their futures to the club.

Centre Kyle Tonetti, lock Dave Gannon and scrum-halves Paul O’Donohoe and Dave Moore have all agreed contract extensions that will see them stay at the Sportsground into next season and beyond. Tonetti and O’Donohoe have signed up for another two years while Gannon and Moore have penned one year extensions.

Their commitment has come as a timely boost ahead of Connacht’s inter-provincial clash with Munster this Saturday and for Head Coach Eric Elwood the pieces of the jigsaw continue to fall into place as he puts his squad together for next season.

Speaking about the signings Eric Elwood said:

KyleGloucester350“Competition for the scrum-half jersey has been fierce this season and that has brought out the best in the players so it’s great to have Paul and Dave Moore, along with Frank Murphy, competing in that position. Kyle has been outstanding for us in the centre in both attack and defence and Dave Gannon provides us with a range of options in the forwards, he has really shown his versatility playing in both the second-row and back-row so we’re delighted to have him on board as well.”

Paul and Kyle both played for Eric Elwood’s U20 6Nations Grand Slam winning Ireland side in 2007 and have been ever present in the squad this season.

Tonetti joined the Sale Sharks from Leinster in 2010 and the former Blackrock College centre earned 14 Aviva Premiership caps before moving West in November of last year. Known for his hard running lines and blistering turn of pace the powerful centre is as comfortable playing 12 or 13 and has won a number of in-house plaudits, including Player of the Month, for his exceptional work-rate across the field.

POD Munster350Arriving last Summer from Leinster 24 year old O’Donohoe was capped 16 times in the league and twice in the Heineken Cup by the European champions before hooking up with former Ireland U20 Coach Eric Elwood again. Alongside winning the Leinster League Cup with Clontarf the lightening quick number nine has been a highly consistent performer for Connacht this season.

Speaking about the deal Kyle said:

“I’m delighted to commit to Connacht, the club is going from strength to strength and it is an exciting place to be at the moment. I’m happy to concentrate on the rugby now and having that bit of security is great. The work Eric and the management team are doing at the moment will mean we have a more settled side next season and I’m delighted to be a part of that.”

Paul added

“I’m really happy to be staying at Connacht, it’s been great to get the opportunity of regular game-time here and I will keep pushing for that starting spot. The next two years are going to be very exciting for Connacht Rugby and it’s great to know I’ll be involved for them.”

I'm thinking Rees looks less likely than before since Connacht now have three SHs signed for next season

Good to here about the players resigning

In the Guardian this morning about Rees to Connacht.

http://m.guardian.co.uk/ms/p/gnm/op/sBdd_tfFwBOxOI7nF8dg6uA/view.m?id=15&gid=sport/2012/mar/20/wales-central-contracts-players&cat=rugby-union

Four SH's and four OH's is a bit excessive no?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭QDog10

Was hoping they might target Stringer for next season. Clearly not on their radar or restricted with their budget. Wonder will he stay in England or go back to Munster??

QDog10 wrote: »
    Was hoping they might target Stringer for next season. Clearly not on their radar or restricted with their budget. Wonder will he stay in England or go back to Munster??
    With TOL headed to England Stringer will have a place in Munster imo and he will have a chance to reclaim his tax if he retires in Ireland as well

• Advertisement

its_phil wrote: »
    In the Guardian this morning about Rees to Connacht.

http://m.guardian.co.uk/ms/p/gnm/op/sBdd_tfFwBOxOI7nF8dg6uA/view.m?id=15&gid=sport/2012/mar/20/wales-central-contracts-players&cat=rugby-union

Four SH's and four OH's is a bit excessive no?

I would say it is due to Connacht being in the B&I Cup next season. Be good to have useful heads at the important positions tho it does hinder Marmion and Leader's progress

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

d-gal wrote: »
    I would say it is due to Connacht being in the B&I Cup next season. Be good to have useful heads at the important positions tho it does hinder Marmion and Leader's progress

Is the B&I Cup not for more development/junior players?

I can't see this remit being applicable to any of O'Donogue, Murphy, Stringer, Rees, Parks, NOC, or Nikora. Jarvis maybe though but the other players in my eyes would be too senior for this comp. Financially it doesn't make sense either to have players on senior contracts playing in the junior comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭liam12989

anyone hear anything re the Richic Rees signing?

Who is left to re sign. thing it will be ah you or else we need another back up prop and hopefully a good hooker IE sligo man sean henry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭seanin4711

seriously the guy is dead weight,literally never offered anything in all the chances he had!
    resigning a player like that we will be perennial basement dwellers.
    Need to think big for a change!!!
    If we want to be 4 provinces not 3 + 1 shift gear and get the players,not some players at the end of their careers.
    disheartened after Saturday is an understatement !
    If we only had players to come off the bench at 60+ mins we would be mid table minimum every year!
    the XV that start are great but after that,sorry they are just not up to it atm!

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭liam12989

We will have loughney and wilkinson on LH side and White and someone else on TH side i thing we need a decent back up..and let the young lads develop eg Maguire,Buckley and finlay Bealham(anyone know if this guy any good seems to be an ozzie who played for irish 20s....

I think we are well stocked in 2nd row and back row and the backs are shapin up well with few young lads coming thru and good few guys there..maybe we could do with a centre from leinster maybe sheridan might see how tonetti is doing and come,.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

actually to be fair ah you was decent last night when he came off the bench ( and i was groaning when he came on)
    carried very well and he stood up in the scrum from what i can remember

he also looks a lot better than the start of the year,

next year he will be lucky to get first team game time with loughney and white but if he can keep improving i will have no problem

Is Frank Murphy signed up for next season?

seanin4711 wrote: »
    seriously the guy is dead weight,literally never offered anything in all the chances he had!

Nathan White not big enough for you?

:rolleyes:

seanin4711 wrote: »
    If we want to be 4 provinces not 3 + 1 shift gear and get the players,not some players at the end of their careers.
    disheartened after Saturday is an understatement !
    If we only had players to come off the bench at 60+ mins we would be mid table minimum every year!
    the XV that start are great but after that,sorry they are just not up to it atm!

They're making some great signings for next year, I think you're being a bit over negative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Faloon signing is going to be announced tomorrow

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement