Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Network Review

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I can see lots of surprised prospective customers on the quays on Monday to see only the 78A and 79....

If I were a student of the Human Condition,I would arm myself with a good video camera,microphone (and perhaps,flak jacket) and enquiring nature and station myself along the Quay to record the celebrations....:)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

AlekSmart wrote: »
    If I were a student of the Human Condition,I would arm myself with a good video camera,microphone (and perhaps,flak jacket) and enquiring nature and station myself along the Quay to record the celebrations....:)

I'd choose the flak jacket, a not-so-good video camera and maybe leave the enquiring nature behind..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭thomasj

If they do arrive in Aston quay they could be in store for a trail of treasure hunt (find the bus stop) challenge anneka style given that these notices are advising people to go to for example o'connell street, stop CQ 6060 and not saying whereabouts the stop is!

The confusion might be more entertaining!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

thomasj wrote: »
    If they do arrive in Aston quay they could be in store for a trail of treasure hunt (find the bus stop) challenge anneka style given that these notices are advising people to go to for example o'connell street, stop CQ 6060 and not saying whereabouts the stop is!

The confusion might be more entertaining!

To be fair the city centre bus stops do have the two letter identifiers prominently displayed on top of them. I assume you were using an example and that the stops on Aston Quay are directing passengers to Hawkins Street.

There is going to have to be a period where people start getting used to this new system, particularly as the RTPI rolls out. DB are beginning to roll out large stop number signs on bus stops in conjunction with this.

KC61 wrote: »
    To be fair the city centre bus stops do have the two letter identifiers prominently displayed on top of them. I assume you were using an example and that the stops on Aston Quay are directing passengers to Hawkins Street.

There is going to have to be a period where people start getting used to this new system, particularly as the RTPI rolls out. DB are beginning to roll out large stop number signs on bus stops in conjunction with this.

Yep that is it, the 37/38/39/70 stops have had the timetables removed on Hawkins street and replaced by these yellow notices advising passengers to go to stops like for example something like CQ 6060 .

I agree the idea is good but given the project as big as it is it's bound to cause confusion of some sort. They should have given. A description like (Aston quay, beside supervalu) alongwith these codes could be helpful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

thomasj wrote: »
    Yep that is it, the 37/38/39/70 stops have had the timetables removed on Hawkins street and replaced by these yellow notices advising passengers to go to stops like for example something like CQ 6060 .

I agree the idea is good but given the project as big as it is it's bound to cause confusion of some sort. They should have given. A description like (Aston quay, beside supervalu) alongwith these codes could be helpful

But the notice does say Aston Quay, Stop XX, XXXX surely?

It can't be that difficult to find the stop on that basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭trellheim

I had to laugh... I was walking up Aston Quay on Wednesday about 11Am or thereabouts and there was a Dublin Bus yellow shirted guy hiding in an archway ... he had just given out some pieces of paper to intending passengers .... it was very funny to watch the passengers completely perplexed .... obviously from the way he retired his job was to give out leaflets... any further communication was not part of the agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

If I were a student of the Human Condition,I would arm myself with a good video camera,microphone (and perhaps,flak jacket) and enquiring nature and station myself along the Quay to record the celebrations..

RTÉ should send Paddy O'Gorman.
    "Can I ask you what you are doing, please"
    "I'm waiting for my bus, I've been using this bus for the last 40 years"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

xper wrote: »
    I wish the Network Direct team would give up.:rolleyes:

Team? That would give the idea of some sort of coordination and cooperation. I don't think we could extend that level of competence to those who devised this.
    ardmacha wrote: »
    RTÉ should send Paddy O'Gorman.
    "Can I ask you what you are doing, please"
    "I'm waiting for my bus, I've been using this bus for the last 40 years"

He'll be waiting for it for the next 40 years too, with little if any information on its demise coming from Dublin Bus. He'll be a member of a wider group of other individuals standing at various bus stops around the city waiting for their bus. If us regular users haven't heard or only recently heard of the changes, what hope is there for the occasional user?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭med1

well they seem to have learned something noticed all the timetables have been removed on the blanchardstown routes no network posters replacing them so maybe the new timetables get installed soon.
    on a funnier note all the stops around north circular road and santry still have posters for the n11 changes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

kateos2 wrote: »
    I get the 84 twice a day, 4 times a week, and it's very rare that it sticks to it's new timetabled route. 1 in every 5 or 6 would go into Stillorgan Village, a lot of them bypass Bray Dart Station and I've been on several that have bypassed Cherrywood. Some skip all 3.

Twice this week they havent gone via Bray Station southbound, the 184 running the shuttle up the road. Madness soon to compounded by the HO HO HO season..........:eek:

At this stage in the proceedings it appears the only HO HO HO`ing will be coming from Eugene Finnegan....:D :D:D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭sjms

I use these buses EVERY DAY. And quite literally I have only found out about these changes to the terminus today? To be honest i find this completely ridiculous as I can guarantee you that 95% of people either do not know about these planned changes and/or will not be able to find Hawkins Street. It is kind of hidden away and also, just to make everything nice and easy for people who have been using these buses for YEARS, the maps on the Dublin bus site for the various buses ARE NOT WORKING! God love people on Monday morning - including myself!

I use these buses EVERY DAY. And quite literally I have only found out about these changes to the terminus today? To be honest i find this completely ridiculous as I can guarantee you that 95% of people either do not know about these planned changes and/or will not be able to find Hawkins Street.

I would imagine that sjms is rather typical of the customer base which will get a rude awakening on Monday.

Rerouting from the Quay`s to Dame Street is,in Dublin terms,an absolutely megalithic move which will cause mayhem,if not actual panic on the strets come Monday !!

And don`t worry about finding Hawkins Street,,,if you`re in doubt just ask a Blancher....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭med1

does this mean that the 51s etc wont be using the quats on their routes any more and travel via christchurch instead
    if not then the stop on aston quay would be better of been kept as the first stop after the terminus

Yep I reckon there will be a direct switch between the 37 / 39 / 70 and 51 stops.

Having said that, based on the notice I saw on Hawkins street yesterday the 37 will have a separate stop to the 39/a on Aston quay

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

sjms wrote: »
    I use these buses EVERY DAY. And quite literally I have only found out about these changes to the terminus today? To be honest i find this completely ridiculous as I can guarantee you that 95% of people either do not know about these planned changes and/or will not be able to find Hawkins Street. It is kind of hidden away and also, just to make everything nice and easy for people who have been using these buses for YEARS, the maps on the Dublin bus site for the various buses ARE NOT WORKING! God love people on Monday morning - including myself!

There has been a notice planted on at least the 51B/C stop for a couple of days, sjms..

What they will do from Hawkins St to Christchurch, I have no idea..maybe we can all play a game of work-it-out as it happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Bazzer2

dfx- wrote: »
    What they will do from Hawkins St to Christchurch, I have no idea..maybe we can all play a game of work-it-out as it happens.

Em, Dame Street happens to be available.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Early indications are that this morning is not going too well.

The 238, which has had it's route slightly modified to now serve Ladys Well and Tyrrelstown, you would expect to serve the same stops in Tyrrelstown that the 236 served on a similar route form Blanchardstown. Infact the route from Blanchardstown Centre to Tyrrelstown on the new 238 on the Dublin Bus website is the same as that which the 236 used to be on the departures which served Tyrrelstown, so again you would think they were using the same stops.

However it does not, the terminus in Tyrrelstown is now the same as the 40D at the hotel (Stop 7073), not in front of the newsagents (6005) with the outbound and inbound routes through Tyrrelstown also being the same as the 40D. whilst missing out the stops the 236 used to serve including the first stop (1546). This is a sensible move to have all buses taking the same route through the estate rather than bypassing it, but only if you tell people!!!

Cue this morning, people are waiting outside the shops in Tyrrelstown (Stop 1546) which has always been the first stop for the 236 to Blanch. This stop is now the last stop before the terminus TO Tyrrelstown, cue people seeing a bus go past the other side of the road to Blanch, wondering why it is going seemingly the wrong way as the first stop to Blanch is now the same as the 40D (7097)

Also at the old 236/38C first stopthe 38C timetable is still there as is the 236 timetable, with no notice that they have now finished, and the 238 actually departs from a different stop. There is also no 238 timetables anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭markpb

Are the route maps on the website working for altered routes? The link from the new 17A timetable still says something about a server configuration error.

• Advertisement

Yep blanchardstown centre is no better!

City centre bound busstop is now on the opposite side of the road of course the new city bound stop doesn't mention the routes or the timetables nor does it have a shelter, bad given the day it is

On the existing side timetables are still the old ones! One good thing is there is an inspector pointing people to the new busstops!

From what I've seen the 39s are showing westmoreland at as the destination. Bad given the city bound buses are no longer going anywhere near there!

Edit: okay a 39 has just passed me displaying baggot street. I've been standing here waiting for a 39/a for ongar for the last 40 minutes, 2 17as and 3 citybound 39/as have left since then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭dub_commuter

I've only been out the house for a couple of hours to drop something at a friends and back, and words fail me. THEY HAVE LEARNED ABSLOUTELY NOTHING

They really are useless, so far this morning I have seen the following
    - No timetables at many stops
    - Many stops with wrong/discontinued service timetables
    - Many stops with no mention of new services that serve them
    - A number 10 to Phoenix Park!!!!
    - 39 to Westmoreland Street display with Passengers at Stephens Green heading to Baggot Street
    - A 39a to Hawkins Street also going past Stephen's Green (no doubt to Belfield)
    - A 37 also displaying Hawkins Street, just about to approach terminus in Baggot Street with pax on.
    - A 39C (Despite the fact it was cancelled)

The only crumb of comfort I can see is at least the 17A had a new display fixed up.

Once again, they have learnt nothing from the first phase, and we see yet again the same mistakes. It's a Sunday, the majority of the fleet doesn't need to be out, so even if all the buses are not yet complete with their updated displays if this happens again tomorrow which it no doubt will, it really is mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭dub_commuter

markpb wrote: »
    Are the route maps on the website working for altered routes? The link from the new 17A timetable still says something about a server configuration error.

The old timetables are still up, if you search for a number and click the result, rather than the revised one you get the old timetables, only if you click the revised timetable do you get the new ones.

The old ones should be removed now, with only the new ones up, and the maps should be working, but it's Sunday so I doubt anyone will want to fix that today.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭J_Dublin15

The 238 does not surprise me, I heard a whisper the route may be how it is from a driver on the 40D last week, it does make more sense to have them serving the same stop, but people need to be told.

I did call DB about this last week and asked them would the stops be changing, and where the terminus and first few stops were. I was told by the Network direct team the terminus and stops was in Tyrrelstown, but he was not able to tell me exactly where as he does not know the area!!!!!

He also mentioned that the problems with the 145 are now fully resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

Does the new 39a stop at the old no. 10/151 on College Street, or at the 46a/145 stop on Westmoreland? Cause it would be nice to have a stop with the three UCD buses again :D

The old timetables are still up, if you search for a number and click the result, rather than the revised one you get the old timetables, only if you click the revised timetable do you get the new ones.

The old ones should be removed now, with only the new ones up, and the maps should be working, but it's Sunday so I doubt anyone will want to fix that today.

The timetables are working fine for me - its the route maps that aren't. Pretty shoddy that my bus route was substantially changed and apart from the schematic diagram, there's no way to find out where it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭joegriffinjnr

Does anyone know what route the 17A is taking in/out of Beaumount hosp? Is it still serving the main stop at Northside S.C.?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Yes, but if you click say 17a it'll take you to the old timetable, you have to explicitly click 17a revised times to see the new one, I think that is what they are trying to say.

The old ones should be removed now and the new ones be under their numbers rather than revised times as someone may click the old one in error.

I can see the new timetable just fine - what doesn't work is the route map for the new timetable. When I click on 17a revised timetable and then on route map, I get an error about server configuration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Polar101

39 doesn't seem to work today, they've changed the routing in Ongar (at least there was a note at the bus stop saying the buses go from across the road now). In about 30 minutes there was just one 39 (to 'Westmoreland St.'), and no 39As at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement