Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Network Review

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Bazzer2

Running the 39A as a 15-minute main service around Blanchardstown on a Saturday is just asking for trouble. The previous 39 was at a ten-minute frequency and that couldn't even cope with the crowds, especially at the Shopping Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭joegriffinjnr

Ive been told the 17A does not serve the main stop outside Northside S.C. anymore, cue the new silverpoles at these two stops for realtime info!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

J_Dublin15 wrote: »
    He also mentioned that the problems with the 145 are now fully resolved.

With it being panto time of year, OH no it isnt!!:)
    It will all hit the fan tomorrow........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

How much notice was eventually given for the changes in the Blanchardstown routes? Are the Lucan changes likely to be just sprung upon us with no warning? :eek:

Also, I see mention now of the 78a and the 40 being merged. Can anyone point me in the direction of official info on this? Anyone have any information on which proposed changes will affect the Neilstown area?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭med1

changes are on the dublin bus website go to the site
    click on news and there is a section called ballyfermott roadshow
    click on it
    then on the blue writing it states further info click that it gives you the map and routes

hope that helps

• Advertisement

med1 wrote: »
    changes are on the dublin bus website go to the site
    click on news and there is a section called ballyfermott roadshow
    click on it
    then on the blue writing it states further info click that it gives you the map and routes

hope that helps

Thank you - I have been looking at that Ballyfermot section.

Nowhere in the general info does it say there will be any changes in Neilstown - people just browsing the site would not automatically know there are any changed proposed for Neilstown.

Am I reading it right in that, under the proposed changes, there will be no direct connection between Neilstown and the city centre, other than via the almost non-existent 51?? I must be missing something here!?

Also, as a Lucan resident I would never have known that there is a proposed bus from Liffey Valley to The Square via Lucan. I have come across it purely by chance under the "Ballyfermot" information. Why are they so unwilling to properly inform their customers of proposed changes? It's very frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭thomasj

Am I reading it right in that, under the proposed changes, there will be no direct connection between Neilstown and the city centre, other than via the almost non-existent 51?? I must be missing something here!?

does the 78a serve neilstown? The 40 will serve the neilstown road.
    Also, as a Lucan resident I would never have known that there is a proposed bus from Liffey Valley to The Square via Lucan. I have come across it purely by chance under the "Ballyfermot" information. Why are they so unwilling to properly inform their customers of proposed changes? It's very frustrating!

the 76 will run blanchardstown to tallaght via liffey valley. I was told that would replace the 239.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Baron de Robeck

Today in Hawkins Street and Aston Quay was a total shambles:

No route numbers or correct timetables at the stops.

Passengers in Hawkins Street looking for Blanchardstown buses.

Passengers on Aston Quay looking for 51B/C, 68, 69 (old stop).

No inspectors to direct those that were in the wrong place.

Stance inspector admitting to a colleague that he was keeping a low profile away from angry commuters.

A driver asking control which of the four stops on Hawkins Street he was supposed to load up at and was told "take your pick, we don't know!!"

They were very quick to remove route numbers from stops several days early but obviously putting up the new information is not such a priority. You will always get some people that haven't got information about the changes but where were all the chief inspectors, yes the ones that get paid very well for the jobs they are supposed to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Thank you - I have been looking at that Ballyfermot section.

Nowhere in the general info does it say there will be any changes in Neilstown - people just browsing the site would not automatically know there are any changed proposed for Neilstown.

how is it via lucan ? (or is there a part im missing ?)

the 76/a/b already goes to liffey valley (it dosn't stop right at the door but who gives a crap, its a 1min 37 second walk from the stop to the front door !)

the 40 will use the same route around neilstown as the 78A

also on a side note, walk from neilstown to the 151 is very short.

I would walk from clondalkin village to Liffey Valley everyday when its only a 25min walk only for its too poxy dangerous !

Today in Hawkins Street and Aston Quay was a total shambles:

No route numbers or correct timetables at the stops.

Passengers in Hawkins Street looking for Blanchardstown buses.

Passengers on Aston Quay looking for 51B/C, 68, 69 (old stop).

No inspectors to direct those that were in the wrong place.

Stance inspector admitting to a colleague that he was keeping a low profile away from angry commuters.

A driver asking control which of the four stops on Hawkins Street he was supposed to load up at and was told "take your pick, we don't know!!"

They were very quick to remove route numbers from stops several days early but obviously putting up the new information is not such a priority. You will always get some people that haven't got information about the changes but where were all the chief inspectors, yes the ones that get paid very well for the jobs they are supposed to do?

no suprises there! blanchardstown was a bit of a shambles but the stance inspector was active and helpful. people in finglas and beaumount were equally confused to see the bus take the beaumont route.

At least the 51s are showing the correct destination information. Both the 51b/cs and 39/as were displaying hawkins street today!

• Advertisement

thomasj wrote: »
    does the 78a serve neilstown? The 40 will serve the neilstown road.

Yes, currently the 78a turns on to the Neilstown Road from the Coldcut Road, goes all the way down the Neilstown Road and then doubles back down the Fonthill Road to Liffey Valley.

The way the new proposal diagram is laid out, it looks like the Fonthill Road is not part of the new 40 route. This would suggest that the bus will stop at the junction of the Neilstown Road and Coldcut Road, but not actually go down the Neilstown Road. This would effectively leave most of Neilstown without a direct connection to the city centre.
    thomasj wrote: »
    the 76 will run blanchardstown to tallaght via liffey valley. I was told that would replace the 239.

This is what I had gathered too, and had resigned myself to the fact that Lucan would no longer have a bus to Blanchardstown. However, on the new Ballyfermot map there is a route 166 running from Liffey Valley to The Square via Lucan. It would be nice if they could let Lucan customers know of these proposed changes!

robbie_998 wrote: »
    how is it via lucan ? (or is there a part im missing ?)

The Route 166 - St Loman's Road, Willsbrook Road and Castle Road are in Lucan.

the 40 will use the same route around neilstown as the 78A

If that's true then that's great!
    also on a side note, walk from neilstown to the 151 is very short.

It's a 20 minute walk - I don't fancy walking down the Neilstown Road in the dark, thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

The route of the 78A remains exactly the same, except it will now be called Route 40. This will be extended provide a direct link between Liffey Valley/Neilstown and the City Centre, continuing on to O'Connell Street, Parnell Square, Dorset Street and Finglas.

See the map here: http://www.dublinbus.ie/PageFiles/6554/ND-%20Ballyfermot.pdf

The reason this route is not being introduced with the Lucan changes, is because the 166 is a replacement to the 76, which is a Ballyfermot based route, hence it is being introduced in the Ballyfermot phase of changes.

As someone who lives in Fairview and regularly travels to Ballyfermot, the proposed change to the 79 sounds very interesting. But judging by how all the other changes have gone they'll probably mess it up somehow.

KD345 wrote: »
    The route of the 78A remains exactly the same, except it will now be called Route 40. This will be extended provide a direct link between Liffey Valley/Neilstown and the City Centre, continuing on to O'Connell Street, Parnell Square, Dorset Street and Finglas.

See the map here: http://www.dublinbus.ie/PageFiles/6554/ND-%20Ballyfermot.pdf

As I said, if the route remains the same on that end of the route then that's great. It's not completely clear from the diagram though.
    The reason this route is not being introduced with the Lucan changes, is because the 166 is a replacement to the 76, which is a Ballyfermot based route, hence it is being introduced in the Ballyfermot phase of changes.

It wouldn't kill them to mention with the Lucan routes also, since it affects Lucan too. By all accounts the 239 is for the chop, so it would also be a sort of replacement for that.

According to the original leaflet found here http://www.dublinbus.ie/PageFiles/6554/ND-%20Ballyfermot.pdf, it provides a footnote for 76/a/b and 166 (*) which states
    *Please note changes to these services will take place during a later phase of Network Direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

That map is extremely confusing, it shows the 40 bypassing the Fonthill Road and yet it apparently isn't?

Also I'd have no idea any of this was happening if it weren't for this forum. How hard would it be for DB to advertise a bit?

phasers wrote: »
    That map is extremely confusing, it shows the 40 bypassing the Fonthill Road and yet it apparently isn't?

Also I'd have no idea any of this was happening if it weren't for this forum. How hard would it be for DB to advertise a bit?

hey baby... was wondering when you'd stroll in here ;)

if you need place's to get to maybe i can give you a ride on my bicycle ! :pac::pac::pac:

nah but seriously... nothing is changing for neilstown except the 78a now goes to finglas further than town

and the 76 just goes from tallaght-clondalkin-neilstown-liffeyvalley-blanch.

simples :)

Good man Robbie, I was dreading the 15 minute walk to the Coldcut Road! ;)

phasers wrote: »
    Good man Robbie, I was dreading the 15 minute walk to the Coldcut Road! ;)

you know if you walk in the other direction its only a 15 minute walk to my bedroom :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Bazzer2

If that's true then that's great!

Don't get too excited. The current 78A is about an eight-minute service. Replacing it with a longer cross-city route at every ten minutes is a recipe for disaster. Even if you do board a 40 in the city centre going to Neilstown, it will already be partly filled with passengers making use of the cross-city aspect of it. They will fill up very quickly and are sure to leave passengers standing. In addition, the routing through Thomas Street, James Street and Kilmainham will have you asking yourself "What is so Quality about this Bus Corridor?".

I'm surprised no-one appears to want to keep the much quicker 78 route.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Bit of a chaotic commute this morning, lets hope it's a one off....

Notice the maps are now up on most of the adjusted routes, although it seems that the maps are of the old routes, rather than the new routes, eg: 39a doesn't show any stops south of the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭dirtynosebeps

Telchak wrote: »
    Does the new 39a stop at the old no. 10/151 on College Street, or at the 46a/145 stop on Westmoreland? Cause it would be nice to have a stop with the three UCD buses again :D
    tel the 37's,38's,39/A's will be using the no.10 stop in college green.
    i had a good read of the blanch posts. most of you are right in saying there is total confusion. at one point there were passenegrs standing at nearly every stop on aston quay looking for the navan road buses. someone decided to put notices up on most stops on the quays for these routes. while it does say westmoreland street on on these roures. the blanch buses mentioned above will not be stopping in west street or d'olier street.
    for those of you that dont know. theres a stop in suffolk street for the blanch routes then next stop for the 37,39/A's/70 is down by forbidden planet on aston quay. to be exact it's outside ladbrokes bookies. there also seems to be a bit of confusuon on whether all these routes use the same stop or whether the forbidden planet is for the 70. but in general the stops are down that end od aston quay.
    if for whatever reason your bus doesn't show up please do not take your frustrations out on the drivers. please.
    they are trying to work on a mess created by others. if your annoyed etc. just ask the driver who you should contact or ask them for the number of the depot that particular route comes from.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I'm sorry to say it, but whilst I see what you are saying, there is no excuse for buses to be displaying incorrect information as destinations, incorrect terminus or stops they don't actually serve. This is an integral part of bedding the new routes in, if buses continue to display the wrong destinations it will just confuse people even more and alienate them.

Dublin Bus have known for a week or two when these changes would take place, and they even had Saturday and a Sunday in which there is far less fleet requirement to be out, rather than changing things in the middle of the week, so the buses should have been updated. I don't understand why it happens. From what I have seen Harristown have updated their local routes and the 17A, so why can Phibsborough not do the same?

In addition we have stops and routes that have changed, terminus changes, with no information anywhere that this has actually happened, along with stops with no timetables, as nobody has been bothered to post them, stops with old timetables for services that are no longer running, and people running around the city centre wondering what on earth is going on.

This same problem has happened for both sets of changes now, the first occurance would be a serious problem in many transport companies that would involve in stern action being taken, but here we see it happening the same for the second time. Management have to get a firm grip and not accept it, to happen once is not acceptable, but can be quickly fixed, but to happen again shows a clear lack of customer focus in the whole process.

When these new timetables were posted online, there should have been a map for every stop which was served by them. Instead for the revised timetables, since they have been put up about a week or two ago, they have not had functioning maps, and now they have the old ones, which bear no resemblance to the current route in many cases. This also causes further confusion which has been seen yesterday and today. Granted not everyone will read the maps, but it's a good start.

None of this rocket science, it's all basic stuff in the operation of a bus service.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭europhile

The Dublin Bus website is a little thin on detail.

Do I gather that the 37, 39 and 70 will now go all the way down the north quays, over O'Connell Bridge and round by Trinity?

Also, from what I'm reading above, the trajectory will be Dawson Street, Suffolk Street, RIGHT on to College Green, down Westmoreland Street and up the quays?

I had thought that it might turn LEFT on to College Green and up Dame Street.

Dublin Bus isn't very forthcoming.

Bazzer2 wrote: »
    Don't get too excited. The current 78A is about an eight-minute service. Replacing it with a longer cross-city route at every ten minutes is a recipe for disaster. Even if you do board a 40 in the city centre going to Neilstown, it will already be partly filled with passengers making use of the cross-city aspect of it. They will fill up very quickly and are sure to leave passengers standing. In addition, the routing through Thomas Street, James Street and Kilmainham will have you asking yourself "What is so Quality about this Bus Corridor?".

I'm surprised no-one appears to want to keep the much quicker 78 route.
    The 78 only runs once or twice a day, not many people are even aware of it's existance round here!

I would have thought that it would be re routed via the con colbert road to by pass Inchicore like the 78 did but it seems that would have made too much sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

europhile wrote: »
    The Dublin Bus website is a little thin on detail.

Do I gather that the 37, 39 and 70 will now go all the way down the north quays, over O'Connell Bridge and round by Trinity?

Also, from what I'm reading above, the trajectory will be Dawson Street, Suffolk Street, RIGHT on to College Green, down Westmoreland Street and up the quays?

I had thought that it might turn LEFT on to College Green and up Dame Street.

Dublin Bus isn't very forthcoming.

Correct on both counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭europhile

Thank you. It would have been helpful if Dublin Bus had spelt this out somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

The baffling this about this is that last year Dublin Bus spent a fortune on new stops, and redesigned all it's city centre bus stops with codes. The bus stops in question on Aston Quay are AH, AG, AF and AE. However, none of the leaflets, stops or website mentioned these codes, which makes me wonder what was the point of this system?

There is no excuse having bus stops on College Green still displaying 37/39/70, and also 39A buses still reading Hawkins Street on their destinations. Anybody standing on Baggot Street traveling to Belfield will be lost for information on what bus actually replaced the 10.

Is there any word on how the 46A is coping today without the support of the 10?

A colleague of mine was late again this morning because of a 35 minute gap on the 145.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Any word when Phase 2 is due to begin?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement