Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The Westie xii, porterhouse Barrel aged, the bourbon county, Odell ipa and fullers porter would be the pick of the bunch for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

There's no Porterhouse B.A in there man. Wouldn't mind if there was!

Modus Hoperani is a steal at 2 euro a can. Wish I'd gotten more. Expirey date says 13th of Jan 14. Not sure if that makes a huge difference, expect to that lad who bought 7 trays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Grayditch wrote: »
    Yeah, I should really try make these last.

UjxrHif.jpg

The SN Celebration is nice. I have a few left. Also have my bottle of Pliny for Christmas Day.
    I heard a few people mention Anchor Porter, I have to find some. Shouldn't be too hard in San Francisco.
    New years resolution is to try less IPA's and more other styles.

There's no Porterhouse B.A in there man. Wouldn't mind if there was!

Modus Hoperani is a steal at 2 euro a can. Wish I'd gotten more. Expirey date says 13th of Jan 14. Not sure if that makes a huge difference, expect to that lad who bought 7 trays.

Ska short date their cans.

They bottle a best before of 4 months after canning date, so they are barely 3 months old now. They will be grand for a while yet.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Nøgne Ø Imperial Stout is gorgeous. It puts BrewDog's Cocoa Psycho to shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

This week I'll be mostly drinking Kinnegar Scraggy Bay. Finally got my hands on some today @ The Malt House in Trim. Smashing IPA, goes down really easily. Will be returning for more once the storm clears.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Was in a boozer with zero craft.

Drank Macardles off the shelf for the evening. It's actually decent enough for that kind of night.

I'll be in the same boozer tomorrow.

They have a "World Beers" sign up, with Blue Moon, Leffe and Staro on it. Hmmmm.

They have Smithwick's PA on tap too.

What would YOU drink?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

leffe, i like it

adamski8 wrote: »
    leffe, i like it

Hmm, for the night? it's a bit strong tbh, considering I'll have been in a house where I'm not apologising for drinking a bit more than I should. Including a Baby Guinness or two. (good mate we lost who's mam invites us round for xmas eve drinks, it will be Guinness, Heino or Coors Light in there)

Actually, on that same theme.

Xmas day, you're doing the rounds, obv no house you visit will have a bottle of OH Whiskey Aged Stout, or have a handy OFAF or what have you.

Someone asks what you want, what do you answer?

Ah, whatever you have there - then proceed to get handed a can of Bud.

Do you ask for something specific that you think they'll have. A can of Guinness?

I usually go for the Guinness and Strawberry Quality Street.

• Advertisement

Xmas day, you're doing the rounds, obv no house you visit will have a bottle of OH Whiskey Aged Stout, or have a handy OFAF or what have you.

Do you ask for something specific that you think they'll have. A can of Guinness?

I'd go with a guinness if they have it myself.

After than if it's down to the macro lagers I'll play roulette and hope I don't get a bud.

I'd just drink the Bud, provided it was ICE cold and I couldn't make out the pissy taste.

Actually scratch that, Guinness first choice, hot whiskey/irish coffee second choice, lager last resort.

My family are daycent for the auld irish coffees on xmas day.

Seaneh wrote: »
    I'd go with a guinness if they have it myself.

After than if it's down to the macro lagers I'll play roulette and hope I don't get a bud.

Good answer. I'd hope for a Carlsberg myself, but it's unlikely really.

Just got home, and opened a McGargles "I"PA

jaysis, it's bad beer.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'd happily drink Leffe all night, but I'm a bit of a weirdo.

I'd happily drink Leffe all night, but I'm a bit of a weirdo.

it's a nice beer, bit for me, a bit strong for a Xmas Eve in the traditional local, where I'll be in rounds at a 4-deep bar, having just come from a house where I've had bottles of bad lager and Baby Guinness shots.

I couldn't drink Leffe all night myself, I don't think. I do like it a lot, though. A pub I know got it in on tap and apparently one of the barmen didn't know it wasn't supposed to be served in pints. A few people got merry for cheaper that night, and I bet not one put him wide!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

What would YOU drink?

Any Beamish?

UjxrHif.jpg

Re-branded Westies. Where did these come from?

I couldn't drink Leffe all night myself, I don't think. I do like it a lot, though. A pub I know got it in on tap and apparently one of the barmen didn't know it wasn't supposed to be served in pints. A few people got merry for cheaper that night, and I bet not one put him wide!
    haha, just reminded me of a trip to London years ago, before the craft explosion here, Leffe was one of the beers I'd get for home drinking. And London Pride had just arrived in Tesco.

I had to go to London with my mam and aunt to clear out a grand-aunts flat after she'd died. one of the local pubs happened to have Leffe and London Pride on rotation taps, think the LP may have been cask, I rotated pints all night on a Tuesday. The visit to the hospice the nest morning wasn't pleasant :(
    Ravelleman wrote: »
    Any Beamish?

not in this place

Re-branded Westies. Did they come from Drinkstore too?

Nah, they're from the 6 pack gift boxes.

• Advertisement

That Anchor Porter really is lovely. I'm not great at distinguishing ingredients, but it feels like a sweeter porter with maybe more roasted caramel, or something than a regular porter.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Where have you been for the last year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

No nice craft beer?
    Grand so I'll have a whiskey neat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

id still go for leffe, it may be stronger abv but if your doing rounds then i bet it works out similar enough to total alcohol say if you were having pints if guinness as the leffe will be served in smaller amounts. leffe brun is also very nice

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Where have you been for the last year?

The monastery, among other places. I didn't know that the gift pack bottles had branding on them. :)

They aren't rebranded.

Those are the bottles that were sold as part of the "bricks" almost 2 years ago.

westvleteren-box.jpg

Same bottles as always, but for the gift packs they had them printed.

And lovely bottles they are, too!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

Had a couple of schooners of Sierra Nevada's Southern Hemisphere Harvest in the Bierhaus last night. Delicious stuff alright, will have to get a bottle of the Northern Hemisphere sometime. Followed it with a half of Brú Dubh, which appeared to be a good smooth session stout, but felt a little light in flavour after the previous two. Good post-shopping drinks though. Happy Christmas everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,072 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Seaneh wrote: »
    They aren't rebranded.

Those are the bottles that were sold as part of the "bricks" almost 2 years ago.

westvleteren-box.jpg

Same bottles as always, but for the gift packs they had them printed.

Drinkstore were begging, pleading with me to get these on Sunday. Nasty Trappist piddle :pac::p

• Advertisement

Best Christmas Beer ever!

I'll always associate it with Christmas. And it's made by monks. They love a bit of Jesus' Birthday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement