Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Stone Ruination. Despite the cost, I can't argue how great it is. I wouldn't be picking it up again at €6.40 or whatever it was, but if it ever became affordable here, it'd be a regular pick-up for me. Lovely stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Had a bottle of Rua by Bru. I think it's delicious and flavoursome. However it feels like it gets stuck in my throat, as if it's giving me heartburn. I experience this with quiet a few Ales.

Anyone else experience the same?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Both my mother and my father bought me a selection of beers for Christmas. Yesterday saw a solid mix of Left Hand Nitro Stout, Shepherd and Neame IPA, Dungarvan Helvick Gold and Anchor Christmas Ale, among many others that I have left. A good variety, I thought. The Anchor Christmas Ale was quite intriguing - very piney and resiny.

Today I arrived to a fridge full of Fuller's beers, as about three years ago I mentioned that I liked them to my mother. She decided to go big and go home, with all the beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Had 4 Crew Ale IPA 4 for a tenner in Carry out getting the lick for it

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

So, Black Ball porter is lovely!

• Advertisement

So, Black Ball porter is lovely!

Oh ya! Ya tis!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Here's the beers I got in a hamper from the in-laws. Gonna be a tough few weeks getting through that lot and my own stash from Drinkstore!!

c03b73bd-bdda-4a3f-9a01-c205a7cb403a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

Heroditas wrote: »
    Here's the beers I got in a hamper from the in-laws. Gonna be a tough few weeks getting through that lot and my own stash from Drinkstore!!

i'd be keeping them inlaws

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Currently sipping a Westie12 while watching Home Alone, like a pig in sh*te

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

stuchyg wrote: »
    Currently sipping a Westie12 while watching Home Alone, like a pig in sh*te

Thank God for that comma. Then it would've been a whole different movie! ;)

• Advertisement

Christmas is starting to feel over.

Better break out the Bourbon County.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Kinnegar Yannaroddy Coconut Porter nice beer but didn't get any coconut taste at all.

Shared it with a mate and afterwards told him it was a coconut porter and he also didn't get it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Kinnegar Yannaroddy Coconut Porter nice beer but didn't get any coconut taste at all.

Shared it with a mate and afterwards told him it was a coconut porter and he also didn't get it either.
    that's a good sign, i picked it up not reading it was a coconut porter (i hate coconut) so hopefully it will go unnoticed :D.

drinking a Miner's Red ale from muckish mountain brewery of Donegal. Quite nice, i've never heard of them before

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Over the next few weeks i will be tucking into the following .

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Grayditch wrote: »
    Christmas is starting to feel over.

Better break out the Bourbon County.

I have one, but I can't bring myself to open it. It seems even more precious than the Westv.XII I have stashed with it. :o
    pa990 wrote: »
    Over the next few weeks i will be tucking into the following .

That's a lot of Christmas beer!

I wish I'd kept the B.C Stout. I mean it was amazing as always, but I think even as a small bottle, it's a good one to share.

Merried the cheeks up nicely, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Was in the bull and castle last night:

Blacks black ipa-the best ive had in this style and lovely beer, a great black malt taste and the hops really suit it. Im digging into their keg tonight!

dungarvans coffee and oatmeal stout on cask: i liked it again in bottle this year but on cask ot was excellent (b and c really served it well too) great coffee tastes but the sweetness of the choc was just perfect

Saved the worst for last :( had the two aztec stouts nitro and co2 side by side. Couldnt drink both of them, horrible strong chilli aftertaste (and i like chilli) just had to leave them.

In the porterhouse i had a cask of jaipur, first time i tried a thornbridge beer and i was not dissapointed. Another great cask offering and a great beer, perfectly done as a tropical hopped ale.

Also had a selection of cocktails in koh which for me makes the best cocktails around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

strobe wrote: »
    Looks like my Christmas order is ready for pick up.

James Boag's Premium
    ROCHEFORT (10)
    Sierra Nevada Bigfoot
    Porterhouse Hophead Irish Pale Ale
    Schneider Weisse Tap 5 Meine Hopfenweisse
    BrewDog, Mikkeller 'I Hardcore You'
    Nøgne Ø Sunturnbrew
    BrewDog Fake Lager
    Founders Backwoods Bastard
    Eight Degrees 'Back To Black Series' Aztec Stout
    Stone Brewing Ruination IPA
    Birra Del Borgo My Antonia
    Nøgne Ø #100
    Carlow Brewing O'Hara's Double IPA
    Trouble Brewing Dark Arts Porter
    Fullers ESB
    Kinnegar Brewing 'Special' Long Tongue Pumpkin Ginger Rye Ale
    Gouden Carolus Cuvee Van De Keize Blue

The clear winner here was definitely the My Antonio. Is the perfect food accompaniment beer, lovely, rich and complex flavour. Like a nice port or a good red wine in that regard, pleasing subtle warmth from it aswell but never too alcoholly or spirit like. Nom nom nom. Will definitely buy again. Worth every penny.

Biggest disappointment for me was the Stone Ruination... Have been wanting to try it for months... Just really hoppy but without any kind of depth to the flavour. Just really really really meh. Perfectly drinkable but bored the life out of me. If it was €2 a pop I'd maybe pick up a few from time to time, but at 6+ would never bother with it again.

The only outright stinker was the Nogne Sunturnbrew.
    Jesus H ****ing Christ this is hideous. I genuinely think the lads over in Norway must be just plain old taking the piss with this one. A kinda "let's see if they'll actually drink this toxic filth if we just charge a lot for it" thing.
    If I had to try and describe the taste the best I could come up with is 'past it's use by date raw chicken smoked over burning plastic bags blended up with old stubbed out John Player Blue'.
    Its almost worth trying just as some kind of test of fortitude.
    Sweet fancy Moses... Forced myself to get a third of the way through it incase it miraculously became palatable after a few mouthfuls. It doesn't. Poored it down the sink and chased it down the plug hole with bleach in case it tried to crawl back out and get me.

Absolutely loved My Antonia, also.

I also had to leave that Aztec stout. Aside from chilli idea not working with it, its not even a good stout, for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

adamski8 wrote: »
    Im digging into their keg tonight!

by yourself? it won't last for another day's drinking once opened, so find at least 2 others to share it with is my advice. I shared it with one person properly, and my dad was taking random glasses from it, and the beer was flat after about 4 hours

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Yeah it will be two of us and we will be drinking all night. Will be very interesting to see how good it is.

Those graftenwalder kegs from years ago in lidl/aldi look the same and it was really hard to get the last few liters out of them.

adamski8 wrote: »
    Yeah it will be two of us and we will be drinking all night. Will be very interesting to see how good it is.

Those graftenwalder kegs from years ago in lidl/aldi look the same and it was really hard to get the last few liters out of them.

You should be alright then, the two of us were alternating between bottles too, I mean it's about 5 pints each from that keg.

It's very good imo. But I'll wait for bottles to get it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 tusnumber000

water with ice :)

Please read the forum rules tusnumber000

If you've nothing to add to the thread don't bother posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Strobe, what did you think of Brewdog's Fake Lager? I had it last night and ought it was instantly forgettable. However, to it's credit, it didn't leave that dirty aftertaste that I find other mass brewed lagers leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Strobe, what did you think of Brewdog's Fake Lager? I had it last night and ought it was instantly forgettable. However, to it's credit, it didn't leave that dirty aftertaste that I find other mass brewed lagers leave.

Yeah I think I'd agree man. Forgettable pretty much sums it up. But to be fair, that's how I feel about all lagers really. If someones a fan of lager, well its definitely one of the better ones I've had I think. Just not really a fan of them in general, all a bit watery and flavourless when compared to ales etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Jesus, don't remember the Dungarvan Helvick Blond being this hoppy!

Gorgeous beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Had two from Brew Dog's Unleash the Yeast series last night. The Pilsner and the Weizen. Actually quite nice. The pilsner probably edged it for me, although I'd be like strobe above when it comes to lagers. There seemed to be enough going on with this one to be enjoyable. It's an interesting experiment. Looking forward to trying the other two.

Also had the 3 new prototypes.
    Interstellar: Red rye IPA, Brixton Porter: Session porter, Hobo Pop: Amped-up American wheat beer. All nice enough but the porter was the weakest for me.

I shared a bottle of the Fran Well Whiskey Stout and the Leann Follain Whiskey on Christmas Day. The Fran Well won hands down, beautiful beer. The LF was nice but just couldn't compete with the FW IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

had the Postman beer and very good, Dungarvan really nice, the Celt beer was just ok and the Bath ale i enjoyed.

Got these from the in-laws for Xmas, will have a few of them tonight at a party in me ma's

Decent selection I think

1511386_10151864627568873_432034765_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

had the Libertine black in the Brew dog pub a few weeks back, loved it and cant wait to get more.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement