Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

2 X Samuel Adams Alpine Spring Ale

Really Nice.:cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Had a bottle of Whitewater's Hopplehammer earlier.

It's fecking lovely!!!

Very surprised by just how good it was.

Go, find it and try it, one of, if not the best Irish pale I've ever had, it's just brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭matrim

Had a couple of the Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye earlier. Very tasty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Clotworthy Dobbin on cask in ATG this evening - it didn't wow me like the bottles. It seemed to lose a lot of the malty flavours to a slight sourness that came with the cask format.

I had a Leann Follain on draught afterwards and thoroughly enjoyed it as always. Probably my favourite beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Had a bottle of Brewdog's Libertine Black Ale last night. I'm new to the 'black IPA' style but I'd imagine they don't get much better than this. I really enjoyed it.

Also tried a bottle of Anchor's Humming Ale on Friday, which tasted surprisingly lager-ish. It wasn't bad by any means but it wasn't nearly as good as Liberty Ale or Anchor Porter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

my weekend.

rebel red (draught)
    sierra nevada pale ale (draught)
    Brugse Zot.
    dr. rudi.

next weekend:

ipa is dead 2012 (forgot i bought it, it's a month out of date)
    ipa is dead 2013.
    bigfoot 2012
    bigfoot 2013

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Had Ballast Point's Sculpin IPA and Left Hand Milk Stout last night. Both excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Seaneh wrote: »
    Had a bottle of Whitewater's Hopplehammer earlier.

It's fecking lovely!!!

Very surprised by just how good it was.

Go, find it and try it, one of, if not the best Irish pale I've ever had, it's just brilliant.

Are the bottles to be found in most Whitewater stockists? I've only heard good things.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Are the bottles to be found in most Whitewater stockists? I've only heard good things.

It's only a new beer so it's not on permanent production like the rest of the range. I've actually not seen it anywhere in Dublin myself although my boss is trying to source a cask of it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

had some of the following last night:

ruthless rye on draught, delicious
    full sail by galway bay, not bad
    citra by flying dog, 10% so only a glass.
    tactical nuclear penguin by brew dog, nice to try for novelty.

• Advertisement

I had it in Salt House in Galway.

I reckon Mr. Beer Baron is the man to ask, I think company he works for are the suppliers for the republic?

It really is lovely.

irish_goat wrote: »
    It's only a new beer so it's not on permanent production like the rest of the range. I've actually not seen it anywhere in Dublin myself although my boss is trying to source a cask of it. :D

AFAIK it's a permanent production, and if it isn't it bloody well should be!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

If I can make a suggestion.

Could people say (when convenient) where they got their beer from, especially on tap.
    Ireland is still a (relatively speaking) craft beer desert, so maybe we should try to help other thirsty souls find the rare oases.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Lucena wrote: »
    maybe we should try to help other thirsty souls find the rare oases.
    Just in case you aren't aware of them, there are resources like the Beoir map and Beermapping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

BeerNut wrote: »
    Just in case you aren't aware of them, there are resources like the Beoir map and Beermapping.

yes and while theyre good resources, there not exactly accurate. For example, The Ginger man on Fenian St have been selling the Franciscan Wells stuff for ages, yet aren't listed on the Beoir map.
    Other places that are listed (e.g trinity science gallery) only seem to have Heineken (unless thats changed in the last three weeks but thats what they told me the last time I was there).
    At least if you say well I had the chocolate truffle stout in the Porterhouse on Nassau St., I now know that if I go into the Porterhouse on Nassau St the next day, they would probably still have it.

Likewise another person posted in the thread on the off sale price of craft beers about Westlevern. Having been on the lookout for it in some off licences and unable to find it, at least I now know what off licence he picked it up in.

Theres a lot of posts on this thread alone re where did person x get that drink, especially when it comes to imported bottled beer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Scortho wrote: »
    The Ginger man on Fenian St have been selling the Franciscan Wells stuff for ages, yet aren't listed on the Beoir map.
    It was listed when Franciscan Well was Irish-owned.
    Scortho wrote: »
    Theres a lot of posts on this thread alone re where did person x get that drink, especially when it comes to imported bottled beer.
    I'm not saying that people shouldn't say where they got beers mentioned in this thread, btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

BeerNut wrote: »
    It was listed when Franciscan Well was Irish-owned.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't say where they got beers mentioned in this thread, btw.

And it still should. It might have a big conglomerate producer of mainstream piss as an owner, but it's a backstage owner and financier.
    In my opinion franciscan well are an integral part of the irish craft beer industry.
    That said if the quality of the franciscan wells stuff goes down now that mc own it, I won't be drinking it again.

irish_goat wrote: »

I knew it was a special alright, was surprised that Seaneh mentioned drinking it in bottle.

Missed it on draught in the Brew Dock by a couple of days.

I knew it was a special alright, was surprised that Seaneh mentioned drinking it in bottle.

Missed it on draught in the Brew Dock by a couple of days.

It's a permanent addition to their bottled range and is available from the supplier. It's also available in keg and cask.

http://www.whitewaterbrewery.com/index.php/beers

Seaneh wrote: »
    It's a permanent addition to their bottled range and is available from the supplier. It's also available in keg and cask.

http://www.whitewaterbrewery.com/index.php/beers

Will swing by Redmonds this evening so to see if its made its way there

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

Have had Brewdog Paradox Grain, 15% whisky cask aged imperial stout. Was pretty nice, and surprisingly easy to drink(had drunk more than half of it quite quickly). Had been planning on letting it age, but am not that patient :P

Got some fresh brewdog hardcore's which were so good. Has to be my favourite beer when its not that old. Got Nogne Citrus Hysterix IPA which was quite nice, was in between an IPA and DIPA, had a sort of weird taste to it though. Got another bottle of Mikkeller Gypsy Tears too, just cant say enough good things about this beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

ASJ112 wrote: »
    Have had Brewdog Paradox Grain, 15% whisky cask aged imperial stout. Was pretty nice, and surprisingly easy to drink(had drunk more than half of it quite quickly). Had been planning on letting it age, but am not that patient

Yes, it's a really nice tipple, shared a bottle with a group of lads last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Had a couple of King Goblin recently, going to go with some Baltika no 9 this weekend and maybe a no 7..The King Goblin really is flavoursome.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Had 3 beers from a brewery called Chapel Down last week. The Curious rang. A Lager, Porter, and an IPA. Really impressed with them, in particular the IPA.

Was drinking some very yummy Maredsous blonde last night, actually - an awful lot of it tbh! I'm wondering if I prefer it to Leffe. I had a trippel aswell which was delicious but not good for a long night on the beer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Sabotage IPA on cask in Kavanghs Dorset street Dublin.

Interesting beer very sweet smelling and great burnt orange colour.
    Initially tastes very sweet in then a slightly mild hop flavour comes into the mix.
    I like it but don't think I could have more than 2.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Guinness Foreign Extra tonight. I like it, and couldn't fault it, but after Trouble Brewing's Dark Arts Porter, 8 Degrees' Knockmealdown Porter and O'Hara's Leann Folláin recently, it has to take 4th place. A good bit stronger than each of those, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Drinking IPA is Dead 2013 at the moment. Currently drinking the Dana, and not really loving it. It has a slight cooked veg aroma of it, quite unusual.

Overall, I've had 3 of the 4 (the Waimea left) and they've been a bit of a let down. The carbonation is almost non existent which I think mutes the hoppiness a little bit, I've no idea why the decided to carbonate them so low, its almost like cask (generally not a bad thing but it is here!).
    I liked the 2011 series, the 2012 was ok and this one has been a bit crap. A downward spiral!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

Couple of märzen rauchbiers and a landbier

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Guinness Foreign Extra tonight. I like it, and couldn't fault it, but after Trouble Brewing's Dark Arts Porter, 8 Degrees' Knockmealdown Porter and O'Hara's Leann Folláin recently, it has to take 4th place. A good bit stronger than each of those, mind.

I'd probably rank FES higher than Dark Arts. I find DA to have a smokey, slightly charcoal-like taste that I'm not particularly fond of in that format, although I enjoy it almost everywhere else.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement