Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Tried some of that coopers sparkling ale last night and I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised. I found it very refreshing with that lovely citrus taste that i quite like in other ipa's, and at 8 euro for 6 in Tesco at the moment it's a beer I will definitely try again:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭matrim

dexter647 wrote: »
    Tried some of that coopers sparkling ale last night and I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised. I found it very refreshing with that lovely citrus taste that i quite like in other ipa's, and at 8 euro for 6 in Tesco at the moment it's a beer I will definitely try again:)

The coopers sparkling is nice, but the normal coopers pale ale is poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Grayditch wrote: »
    I love it. A bar I drink in sells it as well as the IPA which is nothing to write about, but yeah, that stout is great.

Yeah the IPA ain't great. Beautiful bottle though but I probably expected too much from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Arturo Bandini

Did not enjoy the Tyskie. Not a great beer at all.

Trying some Spaten tonight, which is very nice. Quality beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

matrim wrote: »
    The coopers sparkling is nice, but the normal coopers pale ale is poor.

Is that the bottle with the green label?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

Not new to me by any means, but had myself the freshest bottle of Howling Gale Ale last night, really great sessioner. Tasted just like it does from draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

This weekend it was a mostly Flying Dog weekend with some odd bits and pieces as well.

Snake Eyes IPA, Farmhouse Wilde IPA (more like a Belgian than American IPA imho), Raging Bitch Belgian IPA (that works), Trippel Karmelite and Golden Carolus amber, Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA & a Worthington's White Shield IPA.

Naturally, this isn't one night :) but since Thursday.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Tonight a comparison between St Peters old porter, St Peters cream stout, Guinness Foreign extra and O'Haras Leann Follain. Was surprised to prefer St Peters old porter over their stout.

Sounds like a good night.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Had a bottle of Hommelbier that was 4 and a bit years out of date.
    It has changed completely - it now has a distinct honey taste.
    While I like Hommel to have a bit of time in the bottle, I think this bottle had peaked a while back! Interesting experiment, though.

I've also noticed that Orval takes on a very honey like taste as it ages too - I wonder is this a Belgian yeast thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Spent the weekend in Ballina, which is a Craft Free Zone - so it was Guinness and Scotch time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Had a pint of Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye yesterday evening in Porterhouse Temple Bar while waiting for a train, one of those cases of a beer that tastes really good from a bottle but even better from draught.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Just had a couples of bottles of Worthington's White Shield for the first time, absolutely gorgeous ale, apparently owned by the same group responsible for the new lager piss called Molson Canadian been foisted on the Irish people, sad.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

Had the Brewdog IPA is Dead 2013 set. One of them was a nice american pale ale, one was forgettable, two of them had a weird pine nut/grassy taste to them. Overall, didn't think they were particularly great. Nice idea behind it, but not worth trying to be honest.

Have BD's paradox grain too, not sure when I'm going to try that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Drank the Leffe Brun last night, nice not as banana-y as the blonde.

Drank the Dungarvan Blond beer at the weekend. Quality stuff.

Picked up a couple of Dungarvan's new one, Mahon Falls, last night.

I think I built it up too much in my head beforehand as it didn't live up to what I was expecting it to be. It was very nice mind, very homebrewy, but more of an IPA in the English Ale/Bitter style. I thought it could've perhaps been a tad sweeter to counter the harsh earthy bitterness.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Had a Spaten with dinner. Quite unremarkable - not even crisp enough for my tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Picked up a bottle of Rogue Brutal IPA to have Friday. Hope it was worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,092 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Brutal IPA last night.

Brewed by Rogue Ales in Newport, Oregon, USA.

4.50 per pint in the Swagman, Sligo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

4.50 a pint is very good for Rogue imo, they are closer to 6 quid in WJ Kavanagh's - and not worth it.

At 4.50 though, different story.

Had a St Peter's Cream Stout - nice steady stout with a kcik alkeyhol wise.

Also a Brains Dark Ale, superb, utterly superb.

Smithwicks Pale Ale, not bad considering it's a big brewery but the after taste wasn't there.

• Advertisement

buck65 wrote: »
    Had a St Peter's Cream Stout - nice steady stout with a kcik alkeyhol wise.

I've been meaning to try this for a while. I love milk/cream stouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Tried Coopers Pale Ale for the first time last week, devoured 6 bottles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Had a bottle of Dungarvan Mahon Falls last night.

I'd had the Rye Pale Ale at the Brewers on the Bay last year and loved it so I was excited to get it again.

One problem, this isn't the same beer!
    It's super bitter, and it seems to be english style hops, very green and piney tasting hoppiness and then the earthyness of the rye come through, very little malt profile.

And they was a fecking ton of sediment and yeast in the bottle, which just looks gross, but I find that a common problem with Dungarvan bottles.

I it's not a bad beer, it's just nothing like the beer I had last may...

Seaneh wrote: »
    Had a bottle of Dungarvan Mahon Falls last night.

I'd had the Rye Pale Ale at the Brewers on the Bay last year and loved it so I was excited to get it again.

One problem, this isn't the same beer!
    It's super bitter, and it seems to be english style hops, very green and piney tasting hoppiness and then the earthyness of the rye come through, very little malt profile.

And they was a fecking ton of sediment and yeast in the bottle, which just looks gross, but I find that a common problem with Dungarvan bottles.

They did say that they tweeked the recipe. Obviously so much so that it's a completely different beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

Having a Piraat tonight, my personal favourite. Excellent stuff, a bit strong at 10.5%, but doesn't show it too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭matrim

Had a Mikkeller Invasion Farmhouse IPA. I don't think I've ever had a saison / farmhouse style so can't compare it to others of the style and it was something a bit different to what I'm used to. It was an interesting and obviously well crafted beer but I wouldn't be pushed to go back for it again.

Had a tangy taste with citrus, grapefruit and maybe pine. Had a bit of sourness which I found suprising for an IPA, this was initially offset a bit at the start by a malt sweetness but then the hop bitterness kind of brought it back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

3 bottles of Howling Gale Ale, went down nice with the darts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Seaneh wrote: »

I found this with the Challenger, the beer was nothing special on cask at the beerfest when I had it was ok, every bottle I had blew chunks of yeast and tasted almost infected, I gave it more then one chance, months apart (presuming there'd be different batches), and it was all bad.

Had a Donegal Brewery Blonde last night, lovely nose, great taste but the finish was damp and soft. Nice beer for the summer.

Adnams Ghost Ship pale ale. Lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    3 bottles of Howling Gale Ale, went down nice with the darts.

Still sounds painful though!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement