Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Tried some Belgian beers last night, they were delicious.

Chimay Blue. Doesn't taste like 9% to me, but anyone else I was with said differently. A great beer for sipping away at.

Also available was Poperings Hommel, on tap. Definitely one of the most unique beers I've tasted, I got hints of green pesto. Again, it was a great beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

My weekend.

IPA is dead 2012, 2013.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Got myself a Bamberg Rauchbier after listening to the Rauchbier lobby on the forum. Will be having it this evening. I'm not sure what to expect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

My weekend.

IPA is dead 2012, 2013.

3 of the 4 2012 beers are terrible, the galaxy is nice though.

I've heard good things about the El Dorado this year. The goldings sounds blurgh :(

Just this minute enjoying this loveliness.
    Bottle 2 or 3, only one to go :'(

Going to drink it soon (maybe even tonight) as I doubt they age well at 5.8% and these bottles are already a few months old!

5cn05v.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Seaneh wrote: »
    3 of the 4 2012 beers are terrible, the galaxy is nice though.

I've heard good things about the El Dorado this year. The goldings sounds blurgh :(

I liked all the 2012 except the challenger

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    I liked all the 2012 except the challenger

The challenger was particularly horrid.

I just thought the other two were crap.

I did like the galaxy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I'm onto my third now.

HBC - forgettable
    Challenger - not forgettable but nothing to write home about
    Galaxy - the best so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

I'm onto my third now.

HBC - forgettable
    Challenger - not forgettable but nothing to write home about
    Galaxy - the best so far.

I'm afraid these beers are going to be waayy past their best, this is probably why they are forgettable.
    Having said that, I'd say they are still gona be better than the 2013 series. I've just finished a fresh 2013 and it was sh1t! Strangely enough, the Goldings was by far the best - that was a shock! HBC, Galaxy and Motueka were all very good last year. Challenger was actually disgusting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Had my Rauchbier - it was a curious experience. On one level I quite liked the initial taste and mouth feel. On another I found the smoked flavour slightly off putting. I'm glad I tried it but might not buy many in the future. As a taste experience I'm very satisfied though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Not drinking beer. Opened a 2005 bottle of Midleton. I was keeping this for when my first kid was born, but a good friend died recently and was laid to rest today. Slainte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Seaneh wrote: »
    The challenger was particularly horrid.

I just thought the other two were crap.

I did like the galaxy though.

If I remember correctly I also favoured the galaxy, the fault I found with the other two was they where too similar. Still I love the idea it and wouldn't hesitate to grab it again, I'd prefer if they did a lower % pack, remove the maltiness and really let the hop varieties shine through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Had my Rauchbier - it was a curious experience. On one level I quite liked the initial taste and mouth feel. On another I found the smoked flavour slightly off putting. I'm glad I tried it but might not buy many in the future. As a taste experience I'm very satisfied though.

Which Rauchbier was it? I've only had the Schlenkerla, but wouldn't mind trying a few more in the style.

Which Rauchbier was it? I've only had the Schlenkerla, but wouldn't mind trying a few more in the style.

The same one! It was the only Rauch I saw in the OL.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Have a 2 hour stop over in Atlanta so drinking Sweetwater IPA for old times sake.

Had a Sweetwater Road trip which wS described as a Pilsner hop bomb by the bar man.
    It was like a light pilsner but more like an IPA. Not bad but a little gassy I thought.

Was able to get a glass of Sweetwater Blue which is a blueberry beer. Not my thing really but had to try it. Quite sweet but I reckon if you were sitting outside in the sun it would be a great beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭matrim

Will be opening a Goose Island Bourbon County Vanilla in about 20 minutes.

Looking forward to it :D

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Have a 2 hour stop over in Atlanta so drinking Sweetwater IPA for old times sake.

Had a Sweetwater Road trip which wS described as a Pilsner hop bomb by the bar man.
    It was like a light pilsner but more like an IPA. Not bad but a little gassy I thought.

Was able to get a glass of Sweetwater Blue which is a blueberry beer. Not my thing really but had to try it. Quite sweet but I reckon if you were sitting outside in the sun it would be a great beer.

The bar in the TGI Friday's in Hartsfield has a few nice beers, the sweetwater restaurant is a lot cheaper though!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Yesterday I had a bottle of 'Carraig Dubh' from the West Kerry Brewery. I'm into dry stouts, and I can categorically say this is the best I've ever had. Bleedin' delish. If you're anyway into your stouts, you need to get your mitts on one of these.

It was pricey (four something), and I was in two minds about buying it given the price, but man, am I glad I did. And no, I don't work for them. Thankfully. If I did, it would be an expressway to ruin, alcoholism, and smash dinners. Enjoy folks.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I had the Carraig Dubh a couple of weeks ago. Must see if I can pick up another bottle or two this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Last night had a Whitewater Hoppelhammer. Fantastic beer, really enjoyed it.
    Then had a Serra Nevada Ruthless Rye and Tumbler before finishing up with a Brewdog Punk which seemed ridiculously sweet after those drinks.

Tonight I'm having a Stonewell Dry Cider. I've had some of the medium dry before but not this one. Again, very enjoyable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Tried a couple of new brews this weekend. Started with Oakham Ales' Citra, which was lovely, nice hop bitterness topped off the fresh, citrusy flavour of the citra hops. Had their Inferno a couple of weeks ago and was also very impressed with it. Will definitely be checking out more of their range.

Also had a Nøgne Ø #100, which got better as I got through the bottle, but at 10% and €7 a bottle not something I would be having very often. Followed that with a Ruthless Rye, which I wouldn't say I'm a big fan of.

Sipping on a St. Bernardus Triple now, which is going down very well indeed. Also have a bottle of I Hardcore You which I might save for during the week. I was surprised to fine this on the shelves again, I thought it was only going to be a once off. But, I'm not complaining, I remember loving this when I last had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭matrim

The Bourbon County was very good.

Initially had a strong whisky / Bourbon smell but this mellowed to bring out the vanilla smells.

It's 13% and tasted quite strong too, with a definite alcohol hit. Lots of bourbon at the start but this mellowed as it went along. Also had vanilla, prunes, chocolate, coffee and a hint of licorice. If you like your strong and heavy beer / stout this is definitely worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I loved the Bourbon County.

In California for the week and the beer is cheap. $9 for this.

2lxia3d.jpg

Fairly good. I prefer their porter, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Was down in Kilkenny on Saturday for a Stags and I checked out the new Brew Pub called Brewery Corner. Lovely place, only opened a week.
    I had a glass of O'Hara's DIPA and some cask Leann Follain. Wasn't impressed with the DIPA, but the LF was beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Was down in Kilkenny on Saturday for a Stags and I checked out the new Brew Pub called Brewery Corner. Lovely place, only opened a week.
    I had a glass of O'Hara's DIPA and some cask Leann Follain. Wasn't impressed with the DIPA, but the LF was beautiful.

I didn't think the Double IPA tasted as strong as the 7.5% implied nor was it the hop explosion. It did affect me like 7.5% should however!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Maynard

Howdy.

Had a bottle of Young's Double Chocolate stout this weekend along with some Leann Folláin. I'm mad for LF, so I was pleasantly surprised that the Young's held up remarkably well next to it. Very malty and chocolately and if you haven't tried any but like LF then you should try some. Just picked them up in Tesco.

Had the Sierra Nevada Torpedo too. Was lovely, sits nicely between their regular Pale Ale and their Tumbler for me. Has a great bite.

Also tried Fuller's India Pale Ale, which was ok but unspectacular. Not as hoppy or as flavoursome as many of the Sierra Nevada/ Brew Dog or O'Hara's IPA. So I won't be rushing to try that again.

Have to admit I was very keen to try the Chocolate Truffle Stout during the Whiskey and Stout "festival" in the Porterhouse, having heard so much good press about it...I was seriously disappointed. The flavours were nowhere near as complex as I'd expected, and, for want of a better term, it just tasted like a gimmicky chocolate Guinness to me. Ah well, nothing ventured nothing gained.

Overall I wasn't impressed with the "festival" itself in Bray. Having been underwhelmed by the Choc Truffle I went to cheer myself up with the old reliable LF, only to be told that The Porterhouse Bray had received ZERO bottles of it, and that their other branches had gotten them all...I was not pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

got two dungarvan coffee and oatmeal stout,and two bottles of their black stout,i can report its decent stuff.The oatmeal stuff leaves a good amount of gunk in the glass though,so take care when yer havin yer having last sup:)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭boardsy

Maynard wrote: »
    Howdy.

Also tried Fuller's India Pale Ale, which was ok but unspectacular. Not as hoppy or as flavoursome as many of the Sierra Nevada/ Brew Dog or O'Hara's IPA. So I won't be rushing to try that again.
    Traditional English IPA's are typically mildly bitter compared to the modern American-style craft "hop bombs", and once you get a taste for the latter it can be hard to go back! Fuller's do make some nice ales - ESB is a fine ale, 1845 is a more Belgium-dubbel-leaning bottle-fermented, and the hefty (8.5%) Golden Pride is great, warming, sweet and christmas puddingy, if I remember correctly!

On this topic, I had a few bottles of Worthington's White Shield in Tom Barry's pub in Cork recently - pretty good, sessionable, slightly hoppier than the trad English IPA's.

Also had a Nogne O SunturnBrew from Bradley's Off-license in Cork, an 11% smoked barley wine. Islay whisky peatiness, bitter & sweet, bold, big, chewy, a lot going on. Not my favourite beer ever, but a real experience, and of course quality (and expense!) from Nogne O. Interested to try the Tiger Triple I got with it, though RateBeer's reviews aren't too promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,976 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Was in Wexford on Sunday and with a dearth of decent brews in the hotel bar I wrongly assumed that they'd be well stocked with bottles of something like Macardles or Smithwicks, pubs in South Leinster usually being good for ale. In the end, I had to resort to bottled Guinness.

I havn't had Guinness since before December either by bottle or tap and to be honest it's reinforced my decision to not drink it anymore. It was plain not enjoyable, there was very little character, it lacked bite, body and the subtle dryness from the bottle conditioning like the bottles of old used to have. Also it felt sticky and yet too light for a stout let alone one from a bottle. While it was far more drinkable than resorting to either Beamish or Smithwicks it took the pleasure out of drinking what was once a go to beer for me whenever I wanted to avoid draught beer.

I know that many of us that post here laud about the gap in craft and macro brewers and swear blind that we'd never go back to macro beers but it took this weekend to really show me that it is very much the case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Anyone know if Barberstown Castle does any craft brews?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement