Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,976 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Anyone know if Barberstown Castle does any craft brews?

I was there for a wedding in September and they didn't have any that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Hotels can have a few bars, and smaller function rooms which are poorly stocked. Same with pubs having lounges and smaller areas or upstairs areas. I have gotten barmen to bring in 4-5 bottles from another section/floor/room to the one I am going to be in for the night.

Also sometimes you as some young one for a beer and they take a glance and say there is none, then a more senior barman might say there is.

I remember in bakers corner I went to the quiet lounge as it was busy out front, and saw they had a better selection there. Another time in bakers the guy went to the cellars to get my bottles.

So don't just glance and presume there is none.

Bakers also do corkage on bottles from their offie now, so I would say you could try asking for beer from the offie. Could try in any pub with an attached offie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I am in North Dakota for a few weeks with work and went to the local off licence and the guy there tries to get me to buy their O'Hara's IPA.
    Its in a 330ml bottle here but I gave it a miss this time.

I ended up with a 6 pack of Southern Tier 2xIPA.

I bought 6 other IPA's from different breweries which I will report back on once tasted.

Seaneh wrote: »
    The bar in the TGI Friday's in Hartsfield has a few nice beers, the sweetwater restaurant is a lot cheaper though!

Yeah thanks for the tip. I usually stick to the Sweetwater place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Had two bottles of Anchor Porter last night. Absolutely lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

I had a bottle of Donegal Blonde last night, which I bought to support a new Irish brewery. It wasn't bad, there was a touch of fruity hop character to it, but I felt it was slightly watery.

Was lucky enough to get invited to an opening of a firkin of cask hopped IPA.
    Beer was called Sága IPA from the Summit brewery.

Was quite a sweet beer with lots of orange and lemon zest flavour. It's aimed at the hot summer days and a cool refreshing beer.

After having this I went for the Sága IPA standard beer. It was really hoppy and I thought it was really good. I don't like fruity beers so this was better than the cask version.

Got talking to one of the Summit reps and he was very happy to tell me Damian McConn was their head brewer from Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Drinking a bottle of Spitfire here

Not bad (perfectly drinkable) but its no O'Haras/Punk etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Hit up Deveneys today to get my missus the Blue Moon Winter Brews for her bday and picked myself up some bits while I was there

Left Hand Nitro Stout
    Hopplehammer
    Rogue Mocha Porter
    Rogue Hazelnut Brown
    Mikkeller/Brewdog I Hardcore You

Looking forward to trying a couple at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

stuchyg wrote: »
    Hit up Deveneys today to get my missus the Blue Moon Winter Brews for her bday and picked myself up some bits while I was there

Left Hand Nitro Stout
    Hopplehammer
    Rogue Mocha Porter
    Rogue Hazelnut Brown
    Mikkeller/Brewdog I Hardcore You

Looking forward to trying a couple at the weekend

Deveny's has Hopplehammer? Dang! Called into Redmonds todatn& they had none yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Yea was still waiting to go up on the shelves, that was around 4 bells

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Moosehead. Its meh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Drinking a bottle of Spitfire here

Not bad (perfectly drinkable) but its no O'Haras/Punk etc

I don't think it's meant to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭Glebee

Called into Redmond today to replenish stocks for the weekend.

Dark arts porter x 2
    Sierra Nevada porter x 2
    Odell's cut throat porter x 2
    Odell's 5 barrel pale ale x 1
    Odell's ipa x 1
    Sierra Nevada ruthless rye x 2.

Don't know what to expect from the ruthless rye?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

Ruthless Rye didn't do anything for me when I had it, am not a huge SN fan though. The Odells barrel pale ale and IPA will be tasty :) Haven't had them in ages !

Spitfire was one of the first beers I had when I was getting into the craft beer scene years ago. Fond memories, but cant imagine I would enjoy it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Bateman's Mocha beer tonight.

Tastes like Irish coffee, interesting.

Went to an Irish bar that had O'Haras red on tap. Coldest beer I have ever had in my life.
    I couldn't taste it because it was almost frozen. The bar tender told me " welcome to the US" we like our beers cold.

Followed that with a Bells Two Hearted Ale which is a pale ale. For a 7% beer it was not very alcoholic but the hops were very present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Sipping a bottle of Porterhouse Red, uninspiring in Ireland, feckin incredible in Canada ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I don't like IPAs generally, but I found the Ruthless delicious, and the Mahon Falls wasn't too bad either come to think of it.

Is 5AM Saint an IPA?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Carlsberg @ a €1 a can in Centra

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

I don't like IPAs generally, but I found the Ruthless delicious, and the Mahon Falls wasn't too bad either come to think of it.

Is 5AM Saint an IPA?

It's a very hoppy amber, Red IPAs are getting more and more popular, I'd say it fits into that category nicely

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I don't like IPAs generally, but I found the Ruthless delicious,

Had this for a €5 a pint in Farringtons the other night. I think I've decided I don't like rye though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

St. Austell's Admiral's Ale last night. One of THE best ales I've ever had and I say this as a devotee of Yorkshire ales like Masham's Black Sheep and Keighleys Timothy Taylor...Dont know if this has been discussed here but if you have the means and you can pick one up I highly recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Dungarvan mostly this week, thought the porter was fine but the pale ale is still excellent. Will try the red beer tonight.

Also had a Suffolk strong ale the other night (top notch) and a few of the Chimays - Trappist beer doesn't quite do it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

buck65 wrote: »
    - Trappist beer doesn't quite do it for me.

You need to try Orval before dismissing Trappist beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Had a Dungarvan Mahon Falls Rye Pale Ale last night, was looking forward to it but was very disappointed with it. Found it very Bitter.
    The Helvick Gold blonde ale is easily my favourite Dungarvan.

Also had some Kelpie Seaweed ale which was as nice as anything i've had in a while. It's colour was much darker than i expected. Smells and tastes a bit like a chocolate stout and also has a light salty (seaweed :) i guess) taste. Very impressed with it, will pick up some more for tonight :D

Last weekend tried Brewdogs Punk and Hardcore IPA's. Loved the Punk, the Hardcore was a step too fr for me. Both were in the pub though so quite expensive. Will stick to Metalman pale ale next time.

Also had some Kelpie Seaweed ale which was as nice as anything i've had in a while. It's colour was much darker than i expected. Smells and tastes a bit like a chocolate stout and also has a light salty (seaweed :) i guess) taste. Very impressed with it, will pick up some more for tonight

That brewery, Williams Bros, is making some fantastic beers.

I especially love their 80 Shilling

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Speak Now

That brewery, Williams Bros, is making some fantastic beers.

I especially love their 80 Shilling

Will keep an eye out for their stuff from now on :)

Will keep an eye out for their stuff from now on :)

Usually have some in Tesco I think, and all good off licences. Also, the craft bars will have some. I discovered 80 Shilling in WJK.

Anyone know if there's anything interesting in Brew Dock at the moment, heading in there later for a few scoops.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Picked up a Trappistes Rocheforts 10, a Dark Arts porter and a 33cl Orval.

Forgot to buy a bottle of Carraig Dubh.

FML

/1st World Problems :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement